L.A. Noire

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DiscoLad said:
Thought about this thread the other day when I opened my Xbox monthly and saw a screenshot of this game of a guy getting arrested, he looked like my boss...

I suppose I'll rent this... We will see.

EDIT: Silly me, I meant to post this in the L.A. Noire thread...
How did I manage to get here? ... 0_o

Believe me, I'm as curious as anyone why this originally showed up in the "True Grit 2010" thread. Been taking drunk posting lessons from 'hachi?

Anyhow, a rental is fair enough. if you're not sure if you'd be into the game. I feel like the big open question will be how much of the conspicuous mayhem of other Rockstar Games will even be an option, considering the world that L.A. Noire exists in. I imagine that will prove interesting in a number of respects.

Nurhachi1991

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I hear ya! I bought Bully back years ago and did not expect much, but was blown away by the whole experience. That game truly deserves a sequel.

Yup I got it in 2006 right when I was a freshman in High school and it was one of the greatest games ive ever played I'll never forgert the rumble with Johnny Vincent and his boys! :hat:

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
Yup I got it in 2006 right when I was a freshman in High school and it was one of the greatest games ive ever played I'll never forgert the rumble with Johnny Vincent and his boys! :hat:

I got it around early 2007. It stands up there with me as well, and I have been gaming since the Atari 2600!
I loved the story-line and just the whimsy of it all. I would love for RockStar to make part 2 soon. I want that more than any other game from them. I guess that we call always hope 'Nurch.

But, I will stop straying off-topic now before I get sent to the Banana Isles.

Last edited:

DiscoLad

Attila the Professor said:
Believe me, I'm as curious as anyone why this originally showed up in the "True Grit 2010" thread. Been taking drunk posting lessons from 'hachi?

I don't know why on earth I posted there... Crazy....

Anyway, seeing someone say Bully II makes me want to say something.
I would love a sequel to that game, except I would hope they don't screw it up like so many have regarding sequels. ... *Cough* ToD;)

I heard a guy on another forum say the sequel could be how Gar returns from another school and the story goes from there. I could see it working like that.

Nurhachi1991

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I got it around early 2007. It stands up there with me as well, and I have been gaming since the Atari 2600!
I loved the story-line and just the whimsy of it all. I would love for RockStar to make part 2 soon. I want that more than any other game from them. I guess that we call always hope 'Nurch.

But, I will stop straying off-topic now before I get sent to the Banana Isles.

Time will only tell..

But LA Noire looks so promising(y)

Goodsport

Official Trailer #2 is scheduled for release on Monday, 1/24/11.

As for the game's release date: while certain retailers are currently stating April 5th, a leaked trailer instead states May 17th.

Either way, I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

-G

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

For your viewing pleasure.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/skAkfQr3e-4" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The Drifter

This is a day one purchase from me. I love that R* is branching out to other types of genres instead of just the typical GTA style.

Le Saboteur

For those of you who haven't already noticed it, the official L.A. Noire website has gone live. Gone is the teaser site and in its stead: a robust site designed to draw you into Los Angeles circa 1947. Rockstar is even pointing you in the direction of two full-length streaming movies, Scarlet Street with the legendary Edward G. Robinson and Detour. But not 1997's trite U-Turn that it bears a resemblance too, the 1945 version.

lanoire_screen_homicide206.jpg

Drop in on it here.

So far they're showing off the two trailers, and the tech video behind the facial capture system. It's short, but quite interesting.

Also on display are a few snaps from the Homicide Crime Desk, one of the five desks Det. Cole Phelps will occupy over the course of the game. Some of the screens are pretty brutal, so please use common sense while browsing.

I imagine you'll also work Vice at some point, possibly Robbery. I'm not sure when the LAPD merged Robbery-Homicide into one division. I'll need to research it some more to see if they were ever actually separate units.

7.jpg

Rockstar has released a bunch of screens. Some we've already seen, and the others were released on the heels of the second trailer.

The final bit of interesting is the new "Character Dossiers." Between now and May 17th, Rockstar will probably be updating the section with a selection of people important to Cole Phelps' world, professional and otherwise.

Coroner Carruthers is the first to get the treatment.

5.jpg

Scarlet Street

Detour

Is there any other police force that's been more maligned in popular culture than the LAPD?

Le Saboteur

It's time for orientation, rookie.

The video is Rockstar's first that shows off some of the gameplay and investigative mechanics. It also shows off the classic shootouts and brawls that Cole Phelps is going to be involved in. And it appears that Phelps will be working his way up from Patrol to Traffic, then Arson and Vice before finally getting that posting to the Homicide Desk.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tO0W27D1TrY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
If there was a vote, I say first box wins...

I'm inclined to agree with you, Disco. The US box art seems to "pop" out more with it's stark contrast between the blues and reds.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Smart, smart call, not having the box art being in black and white. I'm sure they played around with it, which makes sense, but they can't wed it too deeply to being a period piece.

To compare them: I think I prefer the latter, as far as art goes, but for the form of video game box art, the US version will likely catch the eye more on the shelves.

DiscoLad

Am I the only one getting slightly tired of seeing the same Rockstar style covers on games and loading screens? I must admit I want something different then the obvious Rockstar cover. . . like on

- Red Dead Redemption
- Every GTA 0_o
- I think even Warriors had it
- Bully
- This
- There's more, I just don't feel like digging through the closet. :)

You all know what I'm talking about. I want something fresh.

Le Saboteur

The Drifter said:
The Drifter

Somebody received a name change.

Smart, smart call, not having the box art being in black and white. I'm sure they played around with it, which makes sense, but they can't wed it too deeply to being a period piece.

We don't live in a subtle era. The "louder" something is the more it's likely to stand out, but hardly keeping in accordance with the idea of "noir." Team Bondi and Rockstar missed out by not setting it in San Francisco (where the noir/hard boiled genre was created by Dashiell Hammett), but I'm still looking forward to the game.

key_art_mulholland_falls.jpg

In all honesty, all they really needed was the right side of this image. Superimpose the title over the view of the cityscape from Mulholland Drive, and you have a winner. Alternately, take those two palm trees from the left, leave them in silhouette, and have a group of men (also in silhouette) shining flashlights on a corpse.

The Spanish movie poster would also work quite well. Substitute Melanie Griffith with the previously seen "Dead Starlet" art.

mulholland-falls-movie-poster-1020472861.jpg

Aping the poster for L.A. Confidential would've been inspired as well.

MPW-9577

Playing up the period piece would help it stand out on the shelves where every single game cover looks like it sprung from some rote marketing session. It'll never sell as many copies as any of the iterations of GTA, but it would definitely distinguish it from the the field, including Rockstar's other titles.

Le Saboteur

It should also be noted that the game's site has been updated with a new character profile, and a bunch of interviews/articles/whatever from various trade outlets.

For those of you who are ready to pre-order, the first exclusives have been announced with Gamestop and Wally World getting the marquee items. Gamespot is reporting that Wal-Mart will receive an additional case for the Traffic Desk.

lanoire-aslipofthetongue.jpg

L.A Noire said:
A Slip of the Tongue” is a bonus case from the Traffic Desk in which a seemingly run of the mill car theft ends up sparking an explosive investigation into the largest auto fraud racket the city has ever seen. With the stolen cars piling up and questionable characters at every turn, can you help Cole Phelps crack the biggest case so far in his career?

lanoire-thenakedcity.jpg

While intrepid softshoes are tracking down those culprits, those who pre-order from Gamestop will be treated to "The Naked City". While with Vice, Det. Phelps will investigate the supposed suicide of a beautiful fashion model.

You'll also receive The Badge Pursuit Challenge as an added bonus!

L.A. Noire said:
Hidden around L.A. Noire’s beautiful recreation of 1947 Los Angeles are 20 police badges to find and collect. If you can find all 20 of these badges, the dapper Button Man suit will be unlocked which provides extra ammo for all weapons. Each badge also provides 5 additional XP which will help further unlock Intuition Points – special credits that can be used to give Phelps a key investigative insight when you need it most.

Hightail it over to the official site to get the scoop on the other bonuses you can get, like the attribute enhancing suits! Click here.