The Headpiece to the Staff of Osiris

Pale Horse

Staff member
Original Raider said:
You guys are forgetting that the ark was built to hold the wrath of God, not to honor it.

No, the Wrath of God only comes from the Ark, when you approach it with a disrespectful manner. It was built to provide man to opportunity to come before God, "It's a radio for talking to God".

IndyJohan said:
I hope you didnt spend time creating that chart there PH.

No, its a simple chart depicting the Great Bear in the Northern Sky

And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a BEAST rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a BEAR, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority. - Revelation 13:1

Bear mythology follows many cult religions around the world. There is also a sharp repremand in Deut. not to return to Eqypt and her ways.

I could take this much further by tying in Diana (the Greek goddess whose symbolic animals include the bear, and her ties to the Merovingian bloodline and her emasculating nature in her lesbian habits, but then I would be scaring you all too much.

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
I could take this much further by tying in Diana (the Greek goddess whose symbolic animals include the bear, and her ties to the Merovingian bloodline and her emasculating nature in her lesbian habits, but then I would be scaring you all too much).
<i>Roman</i> goddess. The Greeks called her Artemis. Generally the same deity, but the name really matters can she be called Greek or Roman. Accuracy with these things.

Deadlock

Pale Horse said:
I could take this much further by tying in Diana (the Greek goddess whose symbolic animals include the bear, and her ties to the Merovingian bloodline and her emasculating nature in her lesbian habits, but then I would be scaring you all too much.

Hmmm. I thought that Artemis and Orion had a thing...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Deadlock said:
Hmmm. I thought that Artemis and Orion had a thing...

ARTEMIS
Also known as Diana, Artemis was the divine personification of the moon,and was twin sister to the sun god Apollo. She became goddess of fertility, of woods and forests, the patroness of the hunter, and, in some instances, the punisher of men through the agency of wild animals, as in the case of the Caledonian Boar.

She also slew Orion, who was said to have angered Artemis in his pursuit of Eos, the morning. She, like Apollo,was sometimes looked on as a goddess of death, but in her case it was said that someone stricken suddenly and without warning had been laid low by a kindly arrow from Artemis (or, in the case of men, Apollo). Pure in the fullest sense of the word, Artemis vowed when only a young maiden to remain always in a single state, and received the permission of Zeus for this; to punish with great severity any who tried to tamper with this resolve (in particular we see the nymph Daphne, whom she transformed into a laurel tree, and Callisto, whom she turned into a bear).

Pale Horse

Staff member
Perhaps since we are going opposites:

a stone embedded with jewels that upon direct contact with the moonlight, reveal a constellation pattern upon the floor:

slide64.JPEG

The Greek and the Eqyptian were always looking to the stars. How dark ans sinister, to have me researching the revelation of the anti-christ *snicker*

Deadlock

Pale Horse said:
She also slew Orion, who was said to have angered Artemis in his pursuit of Eos, the morning.

Apparently there's considerable controversy about why Artemis killed Orion... :p

Artemis was responsible for the death of another talented hunter by the name of Orion. There are many conflicting stories about why she killed him, but each story ends with the same sad fate for Orion. One account states that Orion tried to rape Artemis and she shot him with her arrows in retaliation. A second account declares that Orion boasted that he would kill all of the wild animals on earth, which prompted Artemis to send a scorpion to bring about his death. A third account claims that Orion tried to ravish the virgin goddess and she sent a scorpion to bite him, thus getting her revenge.[8] A fourth account dares to claim that Artemis fell in love with Orion and that Apollo became jealous. One day while the twins were hunting in Crete Apollo spotted Orion swimming far out in the sea. Apollo, knowing that it was Orion, challenged his sister to hit the distant object with her arrow. Artemis, being the great huntress and an excellent shot, accepted her brother's challenge and pierced Orion's temple, thus causing the death of her beloved.[9] When Artemis realized what she had done, she made amends by placing him in the sky as the constellation Orion.[10]

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Headpiece to the Staff of Osiris would make a great piece with which to spin the whole thing off.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Good Reading never goes out of style. It's older than my marriage.

Then again so is the Old Man and the Sea.

Kooshmeister

Finn said:
When Toht first appears after the adventure has arrived to Egypt ("Heil Hitler" -scene), the setting is in bright daylight. It's true that even this happens after Sallah tells Indy about the headpiece, but remember that Dietrich only indicates that "he has a man for the job", not "a man who has just arrived". Besides, Sallah says at the Imam's that he saw Belloq discover the location of the well "this morning". Toht could have been there at least as long as Indy.

Plus, who says Belloq himself made the replica? Someone else could've made the casting and then given the replica to Belloq. Thus he would never have had to have met Toht before Dietrich introduces them.

In any case, however Belloq obtained the replace headpiece, I'm pretty sure it has always been intended to have been built using the burn marks on Toht's hand as a guide. Your mileage may vary as to whether it's canon, but the novelization definitely says this is the case, and even has a scene where Belloq remembers what a wimp Toht was about sitting still for the casting, because his hand still hurt.