The Office (NBC)

Gear

Damnit! They put another thread in jello!

I searched for an existing thread using those exact keywords; "The", "Office", "NBC".

I'll be submitting a memo for the Official Complaint Box in New York.

The funny thing is, I have an awkward* friend who pulls failures like Micheal Scott.

The most epic in recent history was the day he was being a boob at lunch. Another friend punched him in the arm, maybe hard enough to give him a charliehorse. He tried to evade it, making a "GAH!" cry, but got nailed. He clenched his arm and screamed F*****K!!, making the present student body turn its head. He then stood up, grabbing the bottom of the round table, and tried to flip it over, but he could only lift it several inches on the one side, causing everyone's tray to simply rock around. Then he dropped it and ran out of the cafeteria.

Reminds me alot of the episode in which Micheal tries to prove his toughness by having Dwight punch him in the gut, against the advice of the others;

*Dwight double jabs him, Micheal snaps into a standing 90 degree angle*

JIM: 'Are you okay--'

MICHEAL: 'Oh, yeah.'

*Scurries into office, closes the door and a set of blinds, and collapses-knocking contents of desk to the floor*

But before I get to telling too many tails of others, just today I made it to school in the family pickup, which is older and has virtually no suspension. Before I left, I made a last mug of coffee. Full, and in a cup. Not even out of the driveway, it slopped, all down my groin. I was at home, so why didn't I get out and change jeans??

When I got to school, I should've said "I partially fell into a coy pond saving a small child from maybe falling into it."
God, how embarrassing and straightforward to tell them it was coffee...

* It often sucks, but I get it.

Gear

In light of recent developments...

Maybe... The mods should try this approach.

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/eDPSeZ6D3O2zF4AVv4e2Jw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/eDPSeZ6D3O2zF4AVv4e2Jw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Gear

An Aweffice Christmas

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/vyGAjT1NLB2PzTBK6JloAw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/vyGAjT1NLB2PzTBK6JloAw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Gear

TO ALL STAFF: In light of Season 7's premier;

(Possible spoilers)

I thought the season pilot was a good start off. There were a couple times that had me laugh out loud.

I'm curious to see what will come of
Dwight's purchasing of the Dunder Mifflin-Saber building. It's certainly congruent with his character.

Admittedly, I'm saddened that
this is Steve Carrel's last season on the show, but of course he couldn't just keep doing it the rest of his career. It's bitter sweet seeing Michael Scott leave the plot, however that may be (I speculate that he leaves DM-S likely with a boot from corporate). I wonder if perhaps the series should come to a close with this season also. I'm apprehensive of the idea of the writers coming up with a replacing figure for Michael to continue onward with. I don't think the chemistry of the show would really work. I think I'd rather see the series end with Michael's time at DM-S closing, thus departing his character, maybe even an episode before the finale. Then the last episode could take place a couple weeks later to show how Michael's absence affects the dynamic of the office and follow up with him on whatever he's doing/planning to do. It would also show the viewers how things are flowing at Dunder Mifflin Scranton with the staff and the new regional manager (Dwight??). Then we could leave The Office after seeing how the other characters plan to go about their lives, tentatively, maybe see some resolution and change within the setting(s) and characters. I'm just saying the producers may want to think about Rick Gervais' decision to only do two seasons of the BBC's The Office, so as to not make the show go stale.

On a side note, I find the character of Michael Scott to be very likable, for reasons other than the norm (whereas other people can't stand him, even if he is fictional). He's egotistical, immature, self important, stunted, a jerk, naive, and thick. But below the surface you see a man who is a good person, someone who will go out for the people he considers friends, if only misguidedly. He seems to me as a young soul, as opposed to an old soul, who has his own personal Hell to deal with; loneliness, sadness, and being lost.

As for the curve of the show so far; If you are a documentary crew observing and intimately spending time with your subjects, naturally you may become close after working with them for several years. However, I think they went a bit too sappy with the Jim/
pam--"the P-situation" :p --and strayed a bit far from the dry, ultra-ordinary-yet uniquely silly, tone that made it rich in previous seasons and the original UK show.

Maybe in this season, Jim moves up the totem pole. B.J. Novak said in interview that Ryan
moves out of his mom's house... and into his dad's.
I wonder what will come of he and Kelli?

Montana Smith

I loved the BBC original for all its irreverent humour, dry deadpan wit, and for Ricky Gervais who was perfectly suited to playing himself!

I couldn't get into the NBC version, though. The tone is so different that it feels like another show completely. Differences between American and British humour show themselves occasionally (at times when we aren't copying America), and especially so with The Office.

The British version seemed to take itself more seriously, closer to the reality shows it was mimicking. Thereby making David Brent a more cringingly pathetic character.

The NBC Office looked more like a traditional sit-com. I haven't seen many of the NBCs (since I couldn't get into the them), so I may have misjudged it.

Lance Quazar

I think the show has been coasting for a while. The season opener was unimpressive.

Last couple seasons have generally been disappointing. The show is running on fumes and years of good will. I don't laugh nearly as much anymore, but at least I usually find it fun to hang out with the characters that we've spent so much time with.

I really don't think the show should go on for much longer, with or without Michael. If the show does continue, some new blood might be the only way to invigorate it.

But I wouldn't be sad to see it bow out at this point. I don't want to see it get bad. It's not terrible, but it is definitely past it's prime and it would be depressing to watch it flounder.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
I think the show has been coasting for a while. The season opener was unimpressive.

Last couple seasons have generally been disappointing. The show is running on fumes and years of good will. I don't laugh nearly as much anymore, but at least I usually find it fun to hang out with the characters that we've spent so much time with.

I really don't think the show should go on for much longer, with or without Michael. If the show does continue, some new blood might be the only way to invigorate it.

But I wouldn't be sad to see it bow out at this point. I don't want to see it get bad. It's not terrible, but it is definitely past it's prime and it would be depressing to watch it flounder.

Shows rarely end in their prime, for obvious reasons. It's a brave move to do so, to say "that's it" in the face of an audience demanding more. Yet, those that do are often those that remain highly regarded. Ricky did that with the BBC version.

There's only the good times to remember. The same, I fear, could be said of our mutual friend Indy...

Gear

Yes, I agree. I think it's time for it to draw to a natural close. It'd save it's integrity. Quality not quantity, Corporate. You ought to know this, being in the paper/printer buisness.

Well... I suppose that's not a sound analogy, considering 500 sheets of bright is more productive than 157 of ultra for everyday documents--but you get the idea! :p

On a different note, there's all that talk of Pam, but what about Karen Filippelli?

I think she's got that realism to her. Like, she's believable as if she could very well be your own co-worker (if you were lucky).

karen.png

karenunsure0.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure they're wagering somewhere about the show's new lead. Here's a theory I saw somewhere...
Steve Carell for some reason is abandoning The Office next year and the TV world is abuzz with who’s going to take his place. If you’re like me, you’re thinking, how is it possible to replace Steve Carrell in The Office? Well guess what? It’s possible. I have a name for you. How ‘bout a little someone called Ricky Gervais!? He would not only fill Carell’s shoes, he’d bust out of them. Gervais is the only choice where you’d actually upgrade the Dunder-Mifflin’s boss position. I mean what’s Gervais done lately anyway? He hasn’t broken out as a movie star. He knows the role can turn people into stars. He still hasn’t caught on with the American audience – what better way to do it than here? He owns the damn show so it would be as easy as saying, "Me." I don’t know why they don’t just announce this now. I mean it’s a match made in Heaven.
Edit: oops, Gervais says:
I'm not taking over from Steve Carell and will just continue to make millions for doing **** all because I created the show and all the characters, and own the format and it's being syndicated now and I get paid every time any episode of any version is played anywhere in the world, and I stopped my version at its height and I don't think I can improve on that, and I don't want to go back to that and get up at 6am every day of the week for 7 years.

Gear

So, three episodes into season 7, and while I enjoyed the premier, I thought episode 2, "Counseling", was a flop.

Just saw the third episode, "Andy's Play", and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm wondering if Andy's so-far-tamed anger problems are going to resurface towards Gabe now.

... Is Michael going to leave his regional manager chair to pursue acting?..

----------------------------------------------------------------------
<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/22aXXrlFsqd9GPqqiCNg3g"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/22aXXrlFsqd9GPqqiCNg3g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

And, cuz I couldn't resist...

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/V2OSyVHTOVmw-bz8VQ0YXw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/V2OSyVHTOVmw-bz8VQ0YXw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Michael's audition... :D
Especially all the scenes where, embarrassed of the whole thing, he tries to keep it under wraps.

(This spoils the above video, if you care to watch it.)
"... Excuse me. Are you the guy who did an entire episode of Law and Order for his audition?"

"... ... Nope..."

LOL!

kongisking

I've heard this show was awesome for a long time now, but never really put much effort into catching it...until I discovered She Who Must Not Be Named* had a brief supporting role at one point. NOW I'm sold! :D

*I got a free "Good Job!" for whoever can guess who this is...

Gear

Here's the full version of the "Say It With Flowers" outtake.

Since I already posted it above, perhaps a moderator would be nice enough to splice/edit this post with the other? In the name of tidiness, of course.

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/HYFrFK89wuKRYx3SS745_Q"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/HYFrFK89wuKRYx3SS745_Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

*chuckles*

Gear

She who must not be named...?

Kongisking said:
The answer is Amy Adams.

Not for you, though. For your children, right? :p

Idunno, Kong...

Karenscreenshot2.jpg

The suit has something to do with the charm.

:insert chuckle emoticon:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/rm9VhYloS4vMhsrzIoBCKw/79/211"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/rm9VhYloS4vMhsrzIoBCKw/79/211" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

But seriously. Suits don't just make the man...

phantom train

I was a big fan of the BBC original version of "The Office" after catching it in the early 2000's. So, when I heard of the American version coming out circa 2005, I made a point to avoid watching this since I thought there was no way it would be as funny or as good as the BBC version.

However, in early Fall 2006 I finally caught the first season of the U.S. version of the show, and was immediately hooked. After seeing S1, I promptly went out and bought S2 of the show on DVD, which was much funnier than the short S1. In fact, I feel that in just these first two seasons this U.S. series eclipsed the BBC version in quality and humor.

In general, the first 3-4 seasons of the show was very well-written and acted, and in many cases hilariously funny (and/or uncomfortably funny). The entire cast really made for a great ensemble & IMHO each character brings something to the show, even those who have smaller parts than others (i.e. Creed & the red-headed woman). And, the high point of many of the episodes were Dwight Schrute's geekiness/intensity & Michael Scott's stupidity and lack of social skills/graces, which at times were side-splittingly funny. The various "tricks" that Jim/Pam would play on Dwight (which in many cases started off the show, before the credits) really added to the show as well.

That being said, IMHO S5 and S6 (which I just finished watching) are weaker than the previous seasons, which is not to say that they're not worth watching. They still hold my interest and there are many funny moments.

I haven't seen any episodes of S7 yet, but will wait for the DVD set next year (I only watch TV shows on DVD).

I think they should probably end the show after S. Carell leaves after this Season (7), since I think 7 seasons is definitely a respectable run for any type of show. However, it is possible that they can get another character to replace Scott who, while he/she will probably not have the same dynamic, may still make the show quite funny. And, no matter what they do, I am onboard for getting any future DVD sets as long as the show continues to be produced.

Gear

phantom train said:
The entire cast really made for a great ensemble & IMHO each character brings something to the show, even those who have smaller parts than others (i.e. Creed & the red-headed woman).

Yes, Creed... indeed! I really like how they wrote him into the series; playing an alter ego of himself, the crazed old man who was never the same after the '60s trip. I love how the writers build his character's past. I remember one deleted scene where Creed's talking to the camera about remorse;

"Oh, I've done many things I'm not proud of... Committed some atrocities in Vietnam... Uh, oh, and I steal paper clips from the office..." Something like that. LOL.

I'm also fond of Kevin.

That being said, IMHO S5 and S6 (which I just finished watching) are weaker than the previous seasons, which is not to say that they're not worth watching. They still hold my interest and there are many funny moments.

Agreed. "Coy Pond" stands out well in there, though.

I think they should probably end the show after S. Carell leaves after this Season (7), since I think 7 seasons is definitely a respectable run for any type of show.

I quite like how the BBC version ended. Gervais really pulled it out with his character. The scene in which David begs Neil and Jenifer not to make him redundant was powerful, you really see how small a man he is; if it weren't for his position of Peter-Principled power, he'd be nothing. He sacrifices his facade and has to beg to the man he'd tried to belittle for so long. The humor came in the following scenes where he claims it happened completely differently--even comparing himself to Jesus Christ!

--HAHAHA!!

I can see Michael being replaced at the end of this season. Not by another actor, but rather being 'let go'. Then he must go find a different road for himself. He wouldn't be able to use his RM job as a crutch anymore--which, really, for him it is... He'd be pressed to explore himself. They say people only change when circumstances become too uncomfortable for them. Thinking of this and remembering what that play producer told him. . . Maybe Michael goes into acting? He already has an interest in it, as seen before. Perhaps he goes into it and in a follow up, we find he sort of went down the path Brent did with music(?) ... (snickers)

kongisking

Gear said:
Not for you, though. For your children, right? :p

Don't got any...yet. But, rest assured, if I get a little girl, I'll make it my top priority that she sees Enchanted.

Goddamn it, I gotta stop going off-topic!