Cowboys & Aliens

Indy_Chic

oki9Sedo said:
I saw this last weekend, and quite enjoyed it.

I liked the fact that it was played straight and had a gritty, hard edge to it. I also liked the fact that it was classically shot and edited in a fashion consistent with old Westerns while at the same time feeling modern. I also appreciated the interest it had on the characters.

That pretty much sums up for me why I loved the film. (y) Fun story, you still get the Old West feeling, and I really liked the soundtrack too :whip:

Dr. Gonzo

Lance Quazar said:
What went wrong? Could the 10 credited writers have something to do with it?
Writers re-writing writers, re-writing writers, re-writing four other previous writers tends to dilute the story into the ground... so yeah could be.

TheMutt92

Dr. Gonzo said:
Writers re-writing writers, re-writing writers, re-writing four other previous writers tends to dilute the story into the ground... so yeah could be.

And who knows how many others worked on the script didn't get credit? One of my film professors recalled seeing a copy of the Elecktra script with the names of no less than 10 writers names on it... yikes.

But like I've said before, the movie was good, could've been better (even in the popcorn sense). Vastly preferred the western segments to the alien aspects (which felt generic and overdone, which may not be the film's fault but the genre as a whole).

Mungi

I finally saw it last week and I thought it was very good. Of course the story is a weak at parts, but the whole thing is really well done. It has strong pictures, a great soundtrack, many practical special effects, and what's the most important, two great performances of Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.

All who haven't seen it yet: Go see it! It's much better than many critics say.

Stoo

Mungi said:
All who haven't seen it yet: Go see it! It's much better than many critics say.
I want to but it's not playing in English near me and I refuse to see it dubbed. Rather than travel to another city to see it in English, I'll probably wait for the DVD.

For anyone interested, check out the "Ancient Aliens" series episode (Season 3, Episode 1) called, "Aliens and the Old West". It has a few clips from "Cowboys & Aliens" plus some interviews with Indiana Jones novel writer, Max McCoy.

Indy's brother

Watched this one last night. I went in with low expectations, which was probably for the best. The film itself: meh, whatever. But Ford's performance? Holy Crap! Since when could he act this well? I was seriously impressed by his performance in this, and that made it worth watching. Now bear in mind that I am an Indy fan, but otherwise not a huge Ford fan. At all, really. For me, whenever I see Ford as anyone besides Indy, he's just a character actor with limited range. That he was able to emote on a level that actually got me a lil' misty at one point in this really took me by surprise. Say what you will about his character's arc, or the film in general. Ford was awesome in this. His screen presence overshadowed everyone, even Olivia Wilde's ethereal hotness. It's a shame that the bulk of the movie isn't engaging enough to merit repeat viewings (from me, anyway).

Henry W Jones

Indy's brother said:
Watched this one last night. I went in with low expectations, which was probably for the best. The film itself: meh, whatever. But Ford's performance? Holy Crap! Since when could he act this well? I was seriously impressed by his performance in this, and that made it worth watching. Now bear in mind that I am an Indy fan, but otherwise not a huge Ford fan. At all, really. For me, whenever I see Ford as anyone besides Indy, he's just a character actor with limited range. That he was able to emote on a level that actually got me a lil' misty at one point in this really took me by surprise. Say what you will about his character's arc, or the film in general. Ford was awesome in this. His screen presence overshadowed everyone, even Olivia Wilde's ethereal hotness. It's a shame that the bulk of the movie isn't engaging enough to merit repeat viewings (from me, anyway).

I also went in with low expectation's and found that I actually liked it. Not loved it, but I would watch it again. Ford was good in the film and for what it was (A summer blockbuster action film) I found it entertaining enough.

kongisking

Perhaps what this film needs is a sequel that goes more in-depth into Lonergan and Dolarhyde's newfound friendship. :confused:

Montana Smith

The film was at least more compelling than the dull comic it was based upon.

It started well in western mode.

Harrison played a poor man's Rooster Cogburn, but this film shows why Jeff Bridges was by far the better choice for that role in the revisited True Grit.

The aliens drain the heart out of the movie. The uniting of enemies by a common foe played weakly. Complete with the cliché of the enemy who saves an enemy's life, and gives him a subtle nod of acceptance.

However, the alien parts were well done.

It's a film of two halves that never comfortably meet.

Craig was vacant throughout as the man with no memory. Harrison has a complete character shift from ruthless bastard to caring father, aided by the fortuitous memory-loss of his son.

Unless these people went back to their old ways after the danger passed, the western dies with the aliens in this timeline.

As for a possible sequel? The aliens would simply come back in greater numbers and with a determined plan for revenge to make the puny humans their b*tches!

Envisage the old west as a giant prison camp of enslaved miners!

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
The film was at least more compelling than the dull comic it was based upon.

It started well in western mode.

Harrison played a poor man's Rooster Cogburn, but this film shows why Jeff Bridges was by far the better choice for that role in the revisited True Grit.

The aliens drain the heart out of the movie. The uniting of enemies by a common foe played weakly. Complete with the cliché of the enemy who saves an enemy's life, and gives him a subtle nod of acceptance.

However, the alien parts were well done.

It's a film of two halves that never comfortably meet.

Craig was vacant throughout as the man with no memory. Harrison has a complete character shift from ruthless bastard to caring father, aided by the fortuitous memory-loss of his son.

Unless these people went back to their old ways after the danger passed, the western dies with the aliens in this timeline.

As for a possible sequel? The aliens would simply come back in greater numbers and with a determined plan for revenge to make the puny humans their b*tches!

Envisage the old west as a giant prison camp of enslaved miners!

I'm pleased to hear you at least found it better than you thought it would be, even if only by a little margin. I do agree with much of what you said. It's certainly a watchable movie, but definitely cliched, with some contrived plot points, and I thought the aliens were a letdown. I agree with an earlier post you made in which you stated it would have been better as a straight Western with Craig and Ford.

And that sequel idea sounds hilarious! It would be an excuse to see Harrison freeing slaves in a badass liberation sequence again!

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I'm pleased to hear you at least found it better than you thought it would be, even if only by a little margin. I do agree with much of what you said. It's certainly a watchable movie, but definitely cliched, with some contrived plot points, and I thought the aliens were a letdown. I agree with an earlier post you made in which you stated it would have been better as a straight Western with Craig and Ford.

Yes, the aliens got in the way of what could have been an interesting Ford/Craig western. Harrison was better in the beginning playing the irascible cattle baron, but the appearance of the aliens changed almost everyone.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Jon Favreau's Chef is a metaphor for his career, in which he buys a food truck (this small film) to get back to his roots (Swingers). A critic pans his predictable menu from beginning to dessert, a chocolate lava cake (Cowboys & Aliens). He rants about the hurtful comments, and the design and efforts put into the cake. I wonder if he has made a similar defense of the film...

kongisking

I actually tried to rewatch this not long ago, and I kid you not, completely lost interest once the gang heads out to rescue the kidnapped people. Before that point, its a pretty damn fun movie. But somehow, that point in the story grinds all my interest in the tale to dust. Just...dang.