Disney Disgust

Dr. Gonzo

Perhaps Disney will join the dark side go down the bleak DC gritty path...

dx8eYTN.gif

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
Perhaps Disney will join the dark side...
Who remembers when Disney frickin' SUED some nursery schools for having wall murals of their characters which were done without permission (even though the schools weren't making a dime from the paintings). This was sometime in the late '80s or early '90s, if I recall correctly. Talk about kicking your core audience in the face. Can you believe that? Those f*cking greedy b*$tard$ sued nursery schools! (n)(n)(n)

The clever folks at Hanna-Barbera got wind of this and said that these schools could do paintings of their characters for free.(y)

As Mr. Horse noted, Disney already joined The Dark Side many moons ago.

Kai Hagen

I only watched one Disney cartoon called Cinderella. The others I watched bits of from Disney specials. My parents didn't have cable.

I don't know how to explain it exactly. From what I saw, Disney films have this warm fairy tale atmosphere that kids enjoy. These old films were made when Walt Disney, then his brother and then Walt's son in law (with two other guys) were in charge. Despite successes like Never Cry Wolf and Splash, and financing a film called Tron, Disney under those later guys still struggled financially. (Tron actually became successful later, not during its release). An investor who bought a large chunk of Disney with the other investors brought in a business oriented guy named Eisner to be the new CEO. According to a book called Disney War, it was a hostile take over. Although the films made under Eisner had a very different feeling from the previous Disney films, the newer ones were actually good in a different way. Think of The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and the Lion King and you'll know what I mean. However, the other later films were unsuccessful.

Here's the thing with having a CEO brought in by the board. It's fine when the business is going well. The friendly atmosphere in the office goes away when things don't. The CEO knows that he can be replaced. He becomes paranoid and starts to distrust anyone in the business whom he thinks could replace him. After experiencing failures, he becomes reluctant to try new ideas. That's when creativity is lost. Eventually, the board replaced Eisner.

When looking at what happened to the History Channel after Disney bought it, I'm very disappointed with the new replacement.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Can you believe that? Those f*cking greedy b*$tard$ sued nursery schools! (n)(n)(n)

Fun fact: Y'know all those pictures people take in the park -- including that, like, producer guy -- of the attractions and rides and characters and stuff? They're copyrighted and Disney could sue you if they really, really wanted to.

Anyway, in other news: Have fond memories of these guys?

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wfxIa-643zI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hang onto your butts then, because they're getting a digital makeover!

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Chip ?n? Dale, Disney?s classic cartoon chipmunk duo, is being revived with the goal of becoming a big-screen feature.

The studio has picked up a pitch from Robert Rugan, an award-winning commercials director, who is writing an updated take on the characters in what is being envisioned as a live-action/CG hybrid.

Mandeville Films/TV, the Disney-based production shingle run by David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman that is also behind the studio?s Muppets franchise, is producing.

Full article: Disney Revives 'Chip-n-Dale' for Live Action Feature