• By boat/ship

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By foot

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

jsarino

As the title states, what is your favorite form of travel? Answer the poll, and post which one and why.

I'll start. Though I love taking roadtrips (a close second to this), I enjoy traveling by plane the most, especially when traveling overseas. The comfort of relaxing (for the most) part, leaving the driving as it were to the airline pilots. Getting good in-flight service (international airlines are usually great at this regardless of where you sit in the plane) only helps the experience. I may also be in the minority that I enjoy stopovers on the way to a destination. Exploring around an airport, or if I have time, the area around the airport is sort of fun.

kongisking

Lance beat me to the obvious joke. Curses!

Of all of the ones I've experienced, walking is the most relaxing for me. As long as the weather is nice and I'm in decent fit shape, of course. But I just prefer it thanks to being able to calmly go about my day, not be in too much of a hurry, and also burn some calories. On a pleasant spring day...a nice, solitary walk is one of the top sources of contentment for me.

Last edited:

jsarino

Lance Quazar said:

TARDIS2.png

philphonebooth.jpg

book-the-time-machine.bmp

bttf_time_machine_ebay_lead.jpg

I'd rather have the DeLorean, because I'm a car guy. (y)

Joe Brody

Two responses here.

First, as to this thread. I'm a Planes, Trains and Automobiles kinda guy. I like trips that use multiple forms of transportation. I like trains because I can read, relax, see the country and move around. I like renting cars because of the flexibility: both as to the type of vehicle and as to freedom of movement. That said, I like cabs and cars with drivers because if you talk a common language you can learn a lot if you have half a mind (and even when you can't talk to one another, you can still learn something like being with a driver in a part of the world where it's acceptable to drive on the other side of the road into opposing traffic and opposing traffic accommodates you). I love Metros and subways because it's usually the fastest way around a city. Speaking of cities, I love to walk. Best commute of my life was when I walked to work every day. Planes? They pollute too much but they get me where I need to go. And putting aside the pollution issue, the bigger the better. I don't like boats bigger than a canoe and after South Korea I'm even leery about Ferries.

Second, this picks up from the other thread that was closed. I like to wing it. I won't use GPS backpacking and I try to avoid using Siri or other electronic help. I recall there being some research that shows that dependence on gadgets impairs a person's sense of direction. I like to look at a map once at the beginning of the drive (I can't remember a highway number to save my life) and wing it to my destination. Obviously, if I'm crunched for time, I won't be so reckless -- but whenever I can I do.

. . .and by the way, PaleHorse is the man.

jsarino

Nice response! The last trip where I was using multiple forms of transportation was when I went on a cruise that involved getting there by cab (to the airport), plane (to the city where the cruise started), on the cruise ship, on a train in one of our stops, then back on the cruise ship. I would've added a boat ride (to see whales) or a helicopter ride (to land on a glacier), but we were pressed on time.

Joe Brody said:
I like to wing it. I won't use GPS backpacking and I try to avoid using Siri or other electronic help. I recall there being some research that shows that dependence on gadgets impairs a person's sense of direction. I like to look at a map once at the beginning of the drive (I can't remember a highway number to save my life) and wing it to my destination. Obviously, if I'm crunched for time, I won't be so reckless -- but whenever I can I do.

When I was younger, my dream was to go backpacking and go about it old school. Have a physical map, my essential supplies and such, some money, and that's it. Can't do that these days having a young family now, but would still like to do it at some point in my life. :)

Yes, though I did have a :( on the thread closure, Pale Horse is the man.