Handbook: The Complete Adventurers Guide

|ZiR| said:
How dare you bring your logic in here!!

It's all about the context. If the refrigerator is anywhere near the blast it'll be pretty ridiculous, yeah. But we still don't know the full story (i.e. where the fridge is in relation to the blast site.) I think hiding in a fridge is a neat, if implausible, idea. Very IJ.

Yes, but I can't imagine how they could bring such a ridiculous scene to the screen without it looking like a scene from from a Pink Panther movie. We'll have to wait and see.

agentsands77

herr gruber said:
Yes, but I can't imagine how they could bring such a ridiculous scene to the screen without it looking like a scene from from a Pink Panther movie.
Have you read the SAUCER MEN script? This sequence is in it. You should check it out.

At any rate, it's no more ridiculous than the life raft stunt from TEMPLE OF DOOM, and probably won't come across as blatantly silly.

agentsands77 said:
Have you read the SAUCER MEN script? This sequence is in it. You should check it out.

At any rate, it's no more ridiculous than the life raft stunt from TEMPLE OF DOOM, and probably won't come across as blatantly silly.

Yeah, there are more implausible escapes in the trilogy but something about
the fridge makes me smile. "Quick, move the frozen peas! Get in!"

agentsands77

herr gruber said:
That's not quite how it works, at least in SAUCER MEN.

Indy frantically tears through the fake house, tries to get into the basement, but realizes that, upon opening the door, the "basement" is only two-feet deep. So he empties the fridge, lays inside the two-foot basement and pulls the fridge over him like a turtle shell.

|ZiR|

agentsands77 said:

Oh! I knew there was a reason it seemed so familiar - I'd read it BEFORE. Here's the actual sequence for anyone who's too lazy to get it themselves.

(Spoiler Warning?)

Saucer Men From Mars said:
ON INDY
He ducks behind a single-story house and knocks on the screen door. No answer.

INDY
Anybody here? It’s an emergency, I need to borrow a phone!

He tries the knob, it turns and he enters the house.

INT. HOUSE - DAY
MUSIC plays from a radio. Indy moves quickly into a modern kitchen, equipped with the latest and best appliances--a new electric range, large Westinghouse refrigerator. He picks up the phone and dials "0”, then realizing the line is dead. He clicks the receiver, nothing. He hangs up and looks around. The house has an eerie, hollow feeling.
Indy moves toward the dinning room where four figures sit at the table as if waiting for dinner.

INDY
I'm sorry, I knocked but—

He stops when he realizes that they are all mannequins. Just then the music on the radio stops and we hear:

RADIO ANNOUNCES (V.0.)
You've been listening to Civil Defense Radio...

INDY
I've got a bad feeling about this...

EXT. GAS STATION - DAY
Spy #2 plugs the phone with change but discovers that it too is fake.

Spy #1, peering inside the gas station, sees that the sleeping gas station attendant is also a mannequin. Just then a CIVIL DEFENSE SIREN starts to wail.

SPY #1
Uh...oh...

Both men bolt for the car.

EXT. HOUSE - DAY
As the SIREN WAILS Indy runs out of the house to the family car. Like the family it too is only a prop. He runs around the side of the house in time to see the two spies roaring out of town in their car. Indy stops, considers his options then runs back inside.

INT. HOUSE / KITCHEN - DAY
Indy runs into the kitchen and sees a trap door to the basement.
He throws the door to reveal...
...a two foot crawl space.

INDY
Great...

But the walls of the foundation are concrete. He gets an idea.
Indy throws open the refrigerator and hurls the contents, shelves and all, onto the floor as we...

CUT TO:
INT. CAR - DAY
The two spies roar out of town. Driving like bats cut of hell, they speed across the desert. As the town fades behind them they begin to relax when they pass a sign which says:
ENTERING TWO MILE ATOMIC BLAST ZONE.
The two men exchange a look, realizing they went the wrong way,

SPY#1
Uh, oh...

HIT. THE KITCHEN - DAY
Indy hops into the crawl space and topples the fridge over the crawlspace like a lead-lined turtle shell. It fits over him just as the room glows white.

EXT. THE DESERT - DAY
The two spies frantically try to turn their car when the sky in front of them suddenly flashes white and the fireball of the atomic blast rises. The heat wave hits them – immediately igniting the car.
INT. CAR - DAY
The two spies incinerate before our eyes, as—

EXT. DESERT - DAY
a monstrous CLAP OF THUNDER, the shock wave, blows out the fire, then lifts the charred car like a feather and sends it flying back toward town.

EXT. THE DESERT/ TOWN - DAY
The shock wave roars across the desert and hits the town...
Cars, gas pumps, signs, mailboxes, roofs, street signs, fuel tanks everything not bolted down is suddenly propelled across the desert in front of the blast--

INT. HOUSE - DAY
The impact blows out the walls and rips off the roof of the house. The howling wind strips the house clean - then we loose sight of the house in the swirling dust...

EXT. TOWN - DAY
The dust begins to settle...Shapes seem to rise en the horizon.
THE HOUSE
is gone except for the foundation.

Indy pushes back the refrigerator and stands shakily. He stares around him at the devastation and makes out SIX WHITE FIGURES moving slowly toward him. Their movements are stiff and non-human and as they get closer we see they make sweeping movements with what look like long appendages.
Then the wind clears and we see
THEY ARE A DECONTAMINATION TEAM armed with long-handled Geiger counters. They stop in amazement when they see Indy.

LEADER
Holy cow, we've got a live one.

agentsands77 said:

Indy frantically tears through the fake house, tries to get into the basement, but realizes that, upon opening the door, the "basement" is only two-feet deep. So he empties the fridge, lays inside the two-foot basement and pulls the fridge over him like a turtle shell.

Oh, well thanks for beating me to it.

Last edited:
agentsands77 said:

Stop it, you're killing me! Still very silly, though, isn't it? But, hey. So is a mine cart jumping from one track to another.

Re: Saucer Men.
"I've got a bad feeling about this".

Moving along...

InVader

Interdimensional Beings

I haven't read the book or anything. But couldn't it be possible that when it talks about inter-dimensional beings that they have actually taken infernal machine into account and are referencing his experience there? He gets out of there pretty quick in the game. Then again...That's only if they are taking everything marketed as Indy into account.

Indy_Chic

herr gruber said:

Hahaha! Bring on the fridge I say! :p

replican't said:
untitled.jpg

jasperjones

I'm pretty sure that they're going to use that scene. If they do I think it can work. It will be the end of the opening sequence (what a way to be the climax to his last adventure - which the opening always is). Probably following on from the warehouse and the rocket sled. If that's the case, what an explosive, action-packed opening. No wonder he retires. Back to Marshall. Where are the protesters? Would be amusing to see Indy post explosion passing the anti-atomic protesters. He'd be in full agreement lol.

Perhilion

EXT. TOWN - DAY
The dust begins to settle...Shapes seem to rise en the horizon.
THE HOUSE
is gone except for the foundation.

Indy pushes back the refrigerator and stands shakily. He stares around him at the devastation and makes out SIX WHITE FIGURES moving slowly toward him. Their movements are stiff and non-human and as they get closer we see they make sweeping movements with what look like long appendages.
Then the wind clears and we see
THEY ARE A DECONTAMINATION TEAM armed with long-handled Geiger counters. They stop in amazement when they see Indy.

LEADER
Holy cow, we've got a live one.
Does that make anyone else think of this picture?
l_a7dccd1ff7f3a0f9a94d3d26e45d7bee.jpg

Nurhachi1991

i got mine today and i thought it was just going to be a fun read but i learned how to use a bull whip like indy. I can now whip like he did in cario when he was protecting marion from the cario thugs :D

and if i have to fight a german mechanic i will throw the first punch! thanks indy handbook

otto rahn

Picked up a copy a couple of days ago. It fits in really well with my "Action Hero's Handbook" and "Action Heroine's Handbook" from 2002/2003 !:cool:

keylan

I really enjoyed the handbook. There are a few things in there that I really want to try and other that are just cool fun facts to know. All and all I would say that it is well worth the money.