Tomb Raider: The Games

RedeemedChild

Nice trailer. I like the Indiana Jones/ Pirates of the Caribbean-esque soundtrack.

Hopefully movie won't feature Megan Fox as Lara Croft. That would be a disaster like none other. I pray they find a better actress. Karima Adebibe would be good, however this is an origin story aimed at drawing in a younger audience (isn't a thing wrong with that) and they will need a younger actress. I would not mind if they chose Kristen Stewart or Michelle Rodriguez.

I don't really want to think of this a "reboot" but rather and resurrection of what could have been a good movie franchise if they had not RUINED it in the beginning.

Last edited:

RedeemedChild

I'm very much impressed with the direction that Dan Lin (Terminator: Salvation) and Karl Stewart (Crystal Dynamics) want to take the Tomb Raider franchise in.

I think the origin story idea will work. We've seen that the "origin" theme worked with the animated television series Wolverine and the X-Men, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and now in George Lucas's Star Wars The Clone Wars television series which attempts to give us the origins of Yoda, Aalya Secura and General Grievous and now Disney is trying it out with the Prince of Persia.

I only hope that Eidos/ Crystal Dynamics will seriously consider bringing these new "Lara Croft" games the SONY PSP2 and Nintendo 3DS instead of only to the PC, XBOX 360 and PS3 and most especially to hardcopy (physical) software instead of to a virtual Application Store.

Below is link to more information on the upcoming game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6263139.html

emtiem

RedeemedChild said:
Nice trailer. I like the Indiana Jones/ Pirates of the Caribbean-esque soundtrack.

Hopefully movie won't feature Megan Fox as Lara Croft. That would be a disaster like none other. I pray they find a better actress. Karima Adebibe would be good, however this is an origin story aimed at drawing in a younger audience (isn't a thing wrong with that) and they will need a younger actress. I would not mind if they chose Kristen Stewart or Michelle Rodriguez.

I don't really want to think of this a "reboot" but rather and resurrection of what could have been a good movie franchise if they had not RUINED it in the beginning.

It'd be nice if they could get an actual Brit to play her. Could do worse than the actor who supplies her voice: Keeley Hawes. Yum.

Le Saboteur

On the off chance you've missed it, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is currently available to download from the Playstation Network and X-Box Live Arcade.

Gamespot said:
The game will apparently be an origin story set on a Japanese island and featuring a younger, less experienced Lara Croft exploring the isle's jungles. It will reportedly be an open-world title, allowing the young heroine to overcome puzzles and obstacles via a variety of methods. The game is also apparently in development for the PC, PS3, and 360 and is set for a late 2011 release. No developer was named, even though the franchise has been at San Francisco Bay Area shop Crystal Dynamics since 2004

In other news, Gamespot has picked up the idea that the next iteration of Tomb Raider may end up being a sandbox-like game in the manner of Batman: Arkham Asylum & Red Dead Redemption. No real information has been forth coming, but the folks at Crystal Dynamics mentioned at the last E3 that they had split the team -- one to work on Guardian of Light, and one to work on the next full-fledged Tomb Raider game.

tomb-raider-new.jpg

Indy's brother

The top down view was great for the baldur's gate games, where the character didn't really need to be developed to enjoy the game. But with a charismatic video game icon like Lara, this approach seems like a step back to me. The sand-box/open world approach would be pretty awesome, you can count me in for that. An Indy game like that would also be an fantastic approach, but I might as well hope for [insert ridiculously unobtainable wish].

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
The top down view was great for the baldur's gate games, where the character didn't really need to be developed to enjoy the game. But with a charismatic video game icon like Lara, this approach seems like a step back to me. The sand-box/open world approach would be pretty awesome, you can count me in for that. An Indy game like that would also be an fantastic approach, but I might as well hope for [insert ridiculously unobtainable wish].

Top down view games never drawn me in. Ideally I like an immersive first person view, which Tomb Raider mimicked in third person by being right behind Lara, so you get the bost of both views (the immersive world and Lara's butt!)

I also agree on open-world games. I love the freedom to roam across land or cityscapes - go anywhere, do anything in the Gun or Grand Theft Auto Vice City/SanAndreas style. So putting Lara into a world like that with a combination of first and third person view options would be a pretty near perfect game for me.

michael

Tomb Raider: Lara Croft Reborn

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/06/tomb-raider-revealed-by-square-enix-in-game-informer/

As we theorized last month, the January issue of Game Informer will, indeed, be showing off the latest iteration in the Tomb Raider series called, simply, Tomb Raider. Details are scarce, but we know it features Lara's first adventure in which she must struggle to stay alive (hence "A Survivor is Born," the tag line used to tease the release). You can see the rough-looking Lara after the break.

Though Darrell Gallagher, head of Crystal Dynamics, says we should "forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider" and that this is "an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other," it's not clear if this is a relaunch or just an origin story that takes place in the series' already pretty convoluted time line. Heck, we don't even know platforms, though PC, PS3 and 360 seem like safe bets. Soon as we all get our hands on the new GI, we'll hopefully all know much more.

As for the new, stripped down title, Gallagher said "We know there is a blog that has a significant games database that relies on individual tags for each game title, and we like making things hard on them." ... OK, he didn't say that. But you know he was thinking it.
http://media1.gameinformer.com/imag...rystaldynamics/tombraider/jan2011_cover_b.jpg

Any fans? This seems very promising.

Last edited by a moderator:

indyjones2131

New Tomb Raider Game - Might Indy follow?

Details of the new Tomb Raider game have been released today. Sounds like a pretty big overhaul and sounds great!

Hopefully Lucasarts will learn a thing or two and follow suit...

- Lara is 21 in this game
- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
- They're doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

That's about it. It seems like CD is still be fairly secretive about the gameplay details. There are some nice in-game screenshots. One features Lara hanging upside down in what looks to be a cocoon. Also several screenshots showing her bloodied and with bandages on.

michael

indyjones2131 said:
Details of the new Tomb Raider game have been released today. Sounds like a pretty big overhaul and sounds great!

Hopefully Lucasarts will learn a thing or two and follow suit...

- Lara is 21 in this game
- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
- They're doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

That's about it. It seems like CD is still be fairly secretive about the gameplay details. There are some nice in-game screenshots. One features Lara hanging upside down in what looks to be a cocoon. Also several screenshots showing her bloodied and with bandages on.
Do you have a link for this stuff, not questioning it of course, would just like to know! :)

indyjones2131

Info came from Neo Gaf. Just a forum post, but it has since been verified by others (and scans) which I don't have but wish I did...

Nurhachi1991

I read the article and i could care less about it...

I love how they can reboot a female clone of Indiana Jones

but they cant %%*$% give Indy the man that started all these genres his own next gen game... that is just sicking

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
but they cant %%*$% give Indy the man that started all these genres his own next gen game... that is just sicking

I've read this earlier and I must say the whole concept seems very interesting. Also, Nurch, thank LucasArts for that.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lonsome_Drifter said:
I've read this earlier and I must say the whole concept seems very interesting.

Yeah. And while I've got no history with <I>Tomb Raider</I>, these innovations are good for the adventure genre in games. Could bode well, if not for anything Indy-based in the future, than for something Indy-influenced.

michael

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/07/tomb-raider-details-emerge-features-open-world-and-brutal-death/

Tomb Raider details emerge, features open world and brutal deaths

Survival is the name of the game for Lara Croft's next virtual excursion -- well, the name of the game is actually Tomb Raider, but, you know -- and a few details from the January issue of Game Informer (which already found its way onto the info-hungry internets) have revealed exactly how said survival story will unfold.

As hinted by yesterday's startling cover reveal, the game will not only be a reboot of the franchise, but a reboot of the Tomb Raider brand. Rather than being a heavily scripted third-person action game, the new title will allow for open-world exploration, giving a fresh-faced, 21-year-old Lara new areas to traverse as she upgrades her own exploratory abilities and finds (or crafts) new equipment and survival tools. Crystal Dynamics didn't give any specifics on these tools, but we're pretty sure Knife plus Stick is going to equal a thing with which you can kill things.

As one might expect, the game's survivalist objective sets a grim tone -- Lara will have to forage for food and water to stay alive. She'll also have to avoid the traps and violent inhabitants strewn across the game's island setting, which, according to the article, are capable of dispatching Lara in extremely brutal ways. Like, ways that make the Tomb Raider 2 "Blow Lara Up" code seem like a minor papercut. Keep an eye out for the January issue of Game Informer for even more details about this interesting adventure.

The Drifter

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah. And while I've got no history with <I>Tomb Raider</I>, these innovations are good for the adventure genre in games. Could bode well, if not for anything Indy-based in the future, than for something Indy-influenced.

I agree.
With the reboot of Tomb Raider and the success that was Uncharted 2. I believe there may be a rise of action/adventure games in the future. Maybe this will eventually spawn a new Indy-related game? Both games are influenced heavily from our favorite adventurer.