National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition

Stoo

RaiderMitch said:
pics of Premiere from last week from Lucasfilm and X3....
Nice, Mitch.(y) Is there any way you could send me the full size images?
fenris said:
I wonder if the mentioned "Asia-Pacific Region" includes the Philippines...:confused:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Fenris. Since the exhibition will be on the road for 6 years, it might not come your way until 2017!:eek:
RedeemedChild said:
I just found out about this at the following link and I'm so excited! http://www.newsarama.com/film/indiana-jones-and-archaeology-exhibition-110414.html
Yeah, that link was posted twice in this thread. Just so you know, Child, there are no plans for this thing to tour in The States.:(

Stoo

@Dr. Sartorious: After listening to Mitch's interview with Lucasfilm exhibit manager, Kyra Bowling, it seems as though the tour stops are solely the decision of X3 Productions. If enough people express interest, maybe they will consider bringing it to the rest of North America.

They can be contacted here: http://x3productions.ca/contact-en.aspx

X3's office is literally 5 blocks from my place. If you want, I could pay a visit and whip them into adding some U.S. cities to the itinerary.:whip:

P.S. A friend of mine (who is not a big fan) saw the billboards and thought there was a new movie coming out!

Stoo

T-Shirts

Here are the 2 T-shirts for sale at the merchandise area. Total price with tax: $22.75 Canadian.

I'm going again tomorrow...:)

Exhibit_GiftShop3-1.jpg

Exhibit_GiftShop4.jpg

Billy Ray

Haha! Was just checking out RaiderMitch's pics above and my littlest son (4) saw the pic of the Grail and said "Cool! The Piston Cup!":D

Dr.Sartorius

Stoo said:
@Dr. Sartorious: After listening to Mitch's interview with Lucasfilm exhibit manager, Kyra Bowling, it seems as though the tour stops are solely the decision of X3 Productions. If enough people express interest, maybe they will consider bringing it to the rest of North America.

They can be contacted here: http://x3productions.ca/contact-en.aspx

X3's office is literally 5 blocks from my place. If you want, I could pay a visit and whip them into adding some U.S. cities to the itinerary.:whip:

P.S. A friend of mine (who is not a big fan) saw the billboards and thought there was a new movie coming out!

Please ask them to add more US cities! Specifically Los Angeles and or San Diego.

Billy Ray

Really! I find it really hard to believe that this show will be touring for 6 yrs with not a single US appearance :confused:

Aztec

Maybe they haven't mentioned any US dates in hopes that there'll be an Indy V and they then can secure a big museum to coincide with the release. No Indy V and then maybe after its six year run, it'll make it stateside.

Stoo

Selling the Idea of Traveling to Montreal

dr.jones1986 said:
Closer than many others but it's still no day trip. Its gotta be at least a 10 hour drive...
Manhattan to Montreal can be done in 8.5 hours. Believe me, dr.jones1986, I've done it.:) Add on an extra 1/2 hour (?) from Long Island and you could do it in 9. Anyway, you seem to have a busy year lined up so your position is understandable. (Not to mention the U.S. dollar is not very healthy right now.)

For Attila, driving under The Great Lakes, could make you some good time. I did Montreal to Chicago driving over the Great Lakes and it took me 14 hours. You could probably do it in 10 by staying south and crossing the border east of Lake Ontario at the 1000 Islands bridge.
Attila the Professor said:
As for the travel thing: yeah, I've been seriously weighing the idea of a drive of similar length. What do you say, Stoo: worth the trip?
Of course, I'm going to automatically say "yes" but it's hard to give a definite answer. Would I drive from Montreal to Cleveland to see ONLY this? To be honest, I don't know. Nonetheless, my friend from Toronto is only a casual fan and he LOVED it so if you decide to make the trip, you will most likely be glad that you did.

The exhibit is geared towards families and the information in the audio/video guide is quite basic so hardcore fans, like yourself, will probably not learn much about the Indy stuff. (I barely used the audio/video guide). However...it is a RARE opportunity to see props, costumes and artwork with the naked eye and get a really good look at tiny details that aren't shown in books. The material and texture of the costumes are right in front of your face and, in the production paintings, you can actually see the brushstrokes, speckles of airbrush ink, etc. You can also eyeball the artifacts and see how well constructed they are. The exhibit is MUCH better than I thought it was going to be...

Montreal is AWESOME in the summer and there is always a lot going on, including the F1 Grand Prix and the world's largest Jazz Festival. The city has a very good transit system which makes it easy to get around and almost everybody speaks English.

Early June: Beer Festival
Mid June: Formula 1 Grand Prix
June: Terracotta Warriors (temporary exhibit at Museum of Fine Arts)
Late June-Early July: Jazz Festival (free outdoor shows every afternoon & night).
July: Comedy Festival
July: Fantasia Film Festival (sci-fi/horror/genre films)
June-August: International Fireworks Competition (every Saturday night).

Plus, the Science Centre is situated on the riverfront of Old Montreal, the historical part of the city (which is one of the oldest in North America) and is next door to our world-famous entertainment export, Cirque du Soleil. Nearby is an archaeology museum, art galleries, great restaurants, etc. and it's close to the downtown area. (Are you sold on the idea yet?;))

Since you enjoy smoking cigars, Attila, this photo is dedicated to you (and Rocket Surgeon, The Lonesome Drifter, Nurhachi1991, Dr Bones & Stephen Jared, who smokes "Punch").

A close-up of Marion's cigar/money box:

Exhibit_Whiskey2.jpg

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Manhattan to Montreal can be done in 8.5 hours. Believe me, dr.jones1986, I've done it.:) Add on an extra 1/2 hour (?) from Long Island and you could do it in 9. Anyway, you seem to have a busy year lined up so your position is understandable. (Not to mention the U.S. dollar is not very healthy right now.)

For Attila, driving under The Great Lakes, could make you some good time. I did Montreal to Chicago driving over the Great Lakes and it took me 14 hours. You could probably do it in 10 by staying south and crossing the border east of Lake Ontario at the 1000 Islands bridge.
Of course, I'm going to automatically say "yes" but it's hard to give a definite answer. Would I drive from Montreal to Cleveland to see ONLY this? To be honest, I don't know. Nonetheless, my friend from Toronto is only a casual fan and he LOVED it so if you decide to make the trip, you will most likely be glad that you did.

The exhibit is geared towards families and the information in the audio/video guide is quite basic so hardcore fans, like yourself, will probably not learn much about the Indy stuff. (I barely used the audio/video guide). However...it is a RARE opportunity to see props, costumes and artwork with the naked eye and get a really good look at tiny details that aren't shown in books. The material and texture of the costumes are right in front of your face and, in the production paintings, you can actually see the brushstrokes, speckles of airbrush ink, etc. You can also eyeball the artifacts and see how well constructed they are. The exhibit is MUCH better than I thought it was going to be...

Montreal is AWESOME in the summer and there is always a lot going on, including the F1 Grand Prix and the world's largest Jazz Festival. The city has a very good transit system which makes it easy to get around and almost everybody speaks English.

Early June: Beer Festival
Mid June: Formula 1 Grand Prix
June: Terracotta Warriors (temporary exhibit at Museum of Fine Arts)
Late June-Early July: Jazz Festival (free outdoor shows every afternoon & night).
July: Comedy Festival
July: Fantasia Film Festival (sci-fi/horror/genre films)
June-August: International Fireworks Competition (every Saturday night).

Plus, the Science Centre is situated on the riverfront of Old Montreal, the historical part of the city (which is one of the oldest in North America) and is next door to our world-famous entertainment export, Cirque du Soleil. Nearby is an archaeology museum, art galleries, great restaurants, etc. and it's close to the downtown area. (Are you sold on the idea yet?;))

Since you enjoy smoking cigars, Attila, this photo is dedicated to you (and Rocket Surgeon, The Lonesome Drifter, Nurhachi1991, Dr Bones & Stephen Jared, who smokes "Punch").

A close-up of Marion's cigar/money box:

Exhibit_Whiskey2.jpg

I am a good hour drive from Manhattan. I live in Suffolk county, which is the further of the two counties on Long Island from NYC. I drove up to Canada last summer and I it took me about 8 hours to get home from Niagara Falls.

Stoo

Bad News!

Well, I?m EXTREMELY ANGRY because, yesterday morning, my laptop computer, my portable external hard drive and my camera (+ many other valuables) were STOLEN on a train ride from Geneva airport! All the photos I took of the exhibit (and the audio of Harrison Ford?s voice) are gone!!!

I?ll probably go back to the exhibit in July but, right now, I?m MAD AS HELL!:mad: :mad: :mad:

harvey

Stoo said:
Well, I?m EXTREMELY ANGRY because, yesterday morning, my laptop computer, my portable external hard drive and my camera (+ many other valuables) were STOLEN on a train ride from Geneva airport! All the photos I took of the exhibit (and the audio of Harrison Ford?s voice) are gone!!!

I?ll probably go back to the exhibit in July but, right now, I?m MAD AS HELL!:mad: :mad: :mad:

:-O

Only one punishment for that.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uo1kxxpQjA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MONTREAL - Visitors to "Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archeology" at the Montreal Science Centre are welcomed by a bilingual message from no less than Harrison Ford, who brought Indy to life in the movies beginning with "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in 1981.

Jones' fabled leather jacket, fedora and bullwhip are among the first things people see when they walk into the show which has enough props and real relics to tickle the most diehard fan.

"We're using the character of Indiana Jones as an invitation to discover what the world of archeology is today as well as what the world of archeology was in the past," said Genevieve Angio-Morneau, one of the show's creators.

Angio-Morneau, a designer and museologist with Montreal's X3 Productions, says the idea for the show came from Lucasfilm when it saw the success of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," which came out in 2008.

"Lucasfilm realized that there was a lot of attention and that he was still very famous, a well-loved character," she said.

"Lucasfilm has all these amazing objects in their archives so I guess they quickly put one and one together and said it's time to let these objects leave the archives and have them tour the world."

The Hollywood filmmakers found kindred spirits in X3 Productions for the show, which comes as the film franchise marks its 30th anniversary.

The exhibit pays lavish tribute to the movies, with a selection of iconic props including the Ark of the Covenant from the first movie, a life-sized sarcophagus from the Well of Souls, a crystal skeleton from Akator on its throne and the costumes of all four leading ladies in the movies.

But the show, which is spread over 10,000 square metres, takes visitors deeper into Jones' world than a peek at props. It examines the work of real archeologists and how they decipher some of the world's mysteries.

Angio-Morneau said the sections with the movie props give an insight into what went into the making of the Jones movies while the areas with real-world objects from places like Panama and Egypt explain how real archeologists worked.

"It's like a mirror effect," she said. "You have these two spaces in the exhibition and there's an ongoing dialogue between the two collections."

The show is divided into four zones ? The Quest, The Discovery, The Investigation and The Interpretation ? and allows visitors to follow in Jones' footsteps to 14 sites around the world he explored in his adventures.

While the Indiana Jones props will thrill people, the archaeological relics are nothing to sneeze at either.

They include several gold artifacts from the Royal Cemetery at Ur in ancient Mesopotamia, a series of decorated bowls and vessels from Peru, the world's oldest known map and the oldest known evidence of winemaking.

"For example, we have this papyrus from Egypt," Angio-Morneau said. "It's a fragment of the "Book of the Dead" and you've got the detail of the stories of who owned the papyrus and some ancient Egyptian stories that are similar to objects Indiana Jones could have discovered."

The artifacts are from the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archeology and Anthropology, National Geographic and the City of Montreal.

Visitors can also use a hand-held interactive video companion to explain what they're seeing through audio, text and video.

"The exhibition is an exciting journey into the real world of archeology," said Frederik Hiebert, National Geographic's archaeology Fellow.

Rene Lemieux, a Montreal tour guide, was impressed with the show as he looked it over with an eye toward an Indiana Jones tour by his Guidatour company.

He liked how the exhibit made archeology fun and described the Ark as "something special."

"You see the relationship with archeology and when you go into the different rooms where you have real pieces of archeology, some of them are really amazing," he said.

The Montreal exhibit is the show's premiere and after it wraps up on Sept. 18, it will tour in Europe and Asia. Montreal is the only Canadian stop.

IF YOU GO:

Address: Montreal Science Centre, King Edward Pier, Old Port of Montreal, corner of de la Commune Street and St-Laurent Boulevard. Accessible by either the Place d'Armes or Champs de Mars metro stops.

Price: The Indiana Jones exhibit is pricier than the regular exhibits at the Science Centre and costs $23 for adults, $20 for teens and seniors. Children get in for $13.50 and there's a family rate of $63 for two adults and two children or one adult and three children.

Hours: The hours for exhibits are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

On the web: The Montreal Science Centre's Internet site can be found at http://www.montrealsciencecentre.com/home.html

Montreal Indiana Jones Exhibition with Deerus

Deerus?:rolleyes:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l-kR-UDUSyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f46gflOqPtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo

Oh, Rocket, that is AWESOME! Now that's the way to promote the exihibit (much better than that stupid Deerus thing)! I can just see that truck cruising down Ste. Catherine's Street. Way cool.:cool:

One thing I noticed about the Chachapoyan Fertility Idol is that its back was poorly painted. In the grooves of the hairlines, there were spots of the white resin(?) which weren't covered by the gold paint. (You can't see this in the exhibit's display unless you stand in a certain place.)

I've been meaning to write more about the exhibition but am still pissed off about having my camera stolen.:mad: In mid-July, I'll be back in Montreal and will try to recapture all the lost photos and the Harrison Ford audio.

Not the ONLY Indy exhibit around...

Sci-Fi and Action-Adventure movie costumes on display at the Norton Museum of Art in West Palm Beach

Summer blockbuster movies are lined up like horses at the starting gate.
Unapologetically schlocky and pop-corny, they tend to be action-adventure or fantasy/sci-fi visual feasts. And a large part of that ?pow! zap!? comes from the costumes.
Or at least that?s the fashion philosophy behind the Norton Museum of Art?s new summer exhibition, ?Out of this World: Extraordinary Costumes from Film and Television? on display from June 4 through September 4. Composed of original costumes and related accessories, the show eschews esoteric auteur films in favor of wide appeal movies: Blade Runner, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman & Robin, The Terminator.

NortonIndianaJones-241x300.jpg

Television science fiction costumes are included from Star Trek, Star Trek: Voyager and Battlestar Galactica as well as a few special effects models and prop accessories, all from the Paul G. Allen Family Collection. Allen, who co-founded Microsoft with Bill Gates, is a huge sci-fi fan. His collection includes Captain Kirk?s commander chair from the original ?Star Trek? series.
?It will give parents and grandparents a chance to explain their favorite characters of all time to younger generations,? said Norton executive director Hope Alswang.
Highlights include the outfit Jim Carey wore at The Riddler in Batman Forever; a bullet-ridden leather jacket from Arnold Schwarzenegger?s The Terminator and the Adrian-designed hat worn by Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz.
?These characters percolate in our culture,? said exhibit co-creator Jacob McMurray, of the Experience Music Project/Science Fiction Museum at Seattle Center, before adding that the images are seared into our collective consciousness because, ??Everything is exaggerated. Darth Vader would never be mistaken as a good guy.?
McMurray is one of the creators of the exhibit created in 2007 to illustrate how costumer are artist, using color, style, scale, fabric, historical references and cultural cues to shape our feeling and emotions about these characters. So the display is divided up into three thematic rooms: ?Heroes and Villains, ?Creating the Character? and ?Caped Crusaders.? The music piped in is German deconstructionist band Oval, pioneers of the ?glitch? sound which uses damaged audio and/or malfunctioning digital equipment. ?It evokes a sort of mystery,? explained McMurray.
He also added that Hi-Def media means that the costumes have to increasingly be detailed.

Harrison Ford's brown leather jacket by wardrobe artist Bermans & Nathans. The jacket was worn in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."
?These costumes are designed. They?re not just thrown together. Look at this Batman costume George Clooney wore in Batman & Robin, said McMurray gesturing toward the pecs. ?Or Nipply Batman as I call him.?
In the last few years there has been an industry around the selling of movie props, especially sci-fi, action-adventure and fantasy. Turns out it?s a sweet little way for the movie studios to recoup some of the money they spend on production costs. So now the costumes are built to last long after the franchise has petered out. There?s another difference over the years.
?From the 1930s to the 1950s I?d say science fiction and adventure films were looking toward the future and America?s role in the world,? theorized McMurray. ?You see it with Wonder Woman, Spiderman, Superman and a lot of red, white and blue in their costumes. The sci-fi movies were focused on teenagers, so they simplified things. As the movies got more complex and started telling more complex stories, so did the costumes [follow suit] to help tell those stories.?
Which is not to say that McMurray is taking it all too seriously. Passing a Star Trek costume from the 1967 episode ?Mirror, Mirror? (where we get to see an evil Captain Kirk in an alternate dimension) McMurray says offhandedly, ?You?ll notice William Shatner?s pit stains on his tunic.?
There are a number of events scheduled to accompany the exhibition ? from movie screenings to family programs ? throughout June and July. For a description and schedule, visit Norton.org.
IF YOU GO: The Norton Museum is open Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. On Thursday the museum is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. On Sunday it is open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. General admission is $12 for adults, $5 for visitors ages 13-21 and free for members and children under 13. West Palm beach residents receive free admission every Saturday with proof of residency. Palm Beach County residents receive free admission the first Saturday of each month with proof of residency. For additional information, call 561-832-5196 or visit Norton.org.