A little tweak can make a big difference

A_True_Believer

I was recently reminded of those Scion commercials that talk about how a small change can have a huge impact (Horse --> Unicorn, or "1-800" --> "1-900"). If you're not familiar with them, that's okay. My point is it got me thinking about what little tweaks could be made to Indy 4 that would make a big difference.

Let me start off by saying I liked Indy 4. I'm not talking about changing the entire film here, but literally seconds here and there; bits that though short would greatly improve the movie. Here's my list:

- In the fridge scene, I would remove the few seconds we see it bouncing along the ground. That's what made it unbelievable for me. If they had faded from the russian car being overtaken to a dense dust cloud, then panned over to the fridge already settled on the ground, I think it would have been more plausible. It's sort of like in LC when Indy climbs up the roots after the tank goes over the cliff. By not seeing exactly how it happened, we can rationalize it in our imagination.

- In the sanitarium, when Indy says the drawing on the floor is of the cemetary, it's not really clear how he knows that. I would have added a quick line where he says it matches some description or drawing in Oxley's letter.

- In the end of the cemetary fight, besides adding back in the cut bit with the whip, I also would have rather seen Indy shoot the last warrior instead of just scaring him off. I think it would have added a nice punch to the end of the fight.

- In the russian camp, when Mutt is being threatened, and when Indy and Marion are arguing, if you look at Spalko she has a rather amused expression on her face. I think it would have been neat if they cut to Spalko briefly to emphasize that even she found the exchange funny.

- During the sand pit scene, it would have been nice if they mentioned why Indy didn't just use his whip to get out. Just one line like "I could use my whip if the damn Russians hadn't taken it!" would have helped fill in that plot hole.

- When Indy takes control of the truck at the start of the jungle chase, it would have been nice to actually see the fight instead of just watching Marion and Mutt getting tossed around in the back. I envisioned seeing the driver, then seeing Indy's arms descend from above, grab him under the chin, and throw him to the side.

- The vine swinging was cheesy, but what put it over the edge for me was seeing Mutt so smoothly transfer from one vine to another in mid-swing. If they had showed him more clumsily swinging from tree to tree it would have been much more tolerable.

- I would have focused on Indy's face for a moment when he was driving along the cliff edge just before Mutt swung in to save the day. Just a brief glimpse of that classic, hopeless, "Oh crap I'm going to die" look before he was rescued would have been great.

- When the duck went over the last waterfall, I would have liked to see them drag out the approach a bit and maybe add in some suspenseful music that built up to when they went over the edge. Then, I would have had the camera linger on the water at the bottom of the falls for a few seconds just to build up tension before seeing them bob to the surface one by one.

- I liked the Ugha warriors, but seeing them break out of the walls made no sense at all. I think seeing them crawl and slither out of concealed holes and cracks in the wall would have been more believable, as well as creepier.

- When the group finally got to Akator, I think there should have been a few seconds to allow them to take in the sight of the lost city before the Ugha started chasing them. This was their goal for the whole movie. Seeing it for the first time should have had a major emotional impact, with looks of awe and swelling music, like when they first see the Grail temple in LC.

- When they fell onto the spiral staircase, I wouldn't have had the trap spring right away. I would have added a few seconds so they could take in how high they were and see the bed of spikes in the water below. I think establishing the danger first would have greatly improved this scene. Then, as they got to their feet, one of them could have accidently sprung the trap.

What little tweaks would you make?

James

A_True_Believer said:
- In the sanitarium, when Indy says the drawing on the floor is of the cemetary, it's not really clear how he knows that.

- In the end of the cemetary fight, besides adding back in the cut bit with the whip, I also would have rather seen Indy shoot the last warrior instead of just scaring him off. I think it would have added a nice punch to the end of the fight.

- During the sand pit scene, it would have been nice if they mentioned why Indy didn't just use his whip to get out. Just one line like "I could use my whip if the damn Russians hadn't taken it!" would have helped fill in that plot hole.

- When the group finally got to Akator, I think there should have been a few seconds to allow them to take in the sight of the lost city before the Ugha started chasing them. This was their goal for the whole movie. Seeing it for the first time should have had a major emotional impact, with looks of awe and swelling music, like when they first see the Grail temple in LC.

Not that I disagree with any of your ideas, but here's a few thoughts:

-I assumed Indy recognized the drawing as being Chauchilla Cemetery.

-Agreed about the whip scene- especially since it was featured so prominently in promo videos, photos, and even on the comic adaptation's cover. But I didn't mind Indy not using the gun. It was a clever callback to his comments in the diner about "bringing a knife to a gunfight." Only this time, Indy and Mutt were on the side with the gun.

-I'm not sure there's much of a plothole during the sandpit scene. After all, did anyone expect Indy to still have his whip- especially since he had been a prisoner at the Russian camp?

-This is probably one of the 'tweaks' I would make. An extra shot of everyone taking in the sight of the lost valley after they ascend the pyramid stairs would've been nice.

I also think a few extra scenes once they reached underground would've been a good addition. In the novelization, it's essentially a large underground complex. And in the novel, comic adaptation, and Darabont's script, Indy remarks that the entire thing is one big power plant. (This is what those giant gears are that they run past on the way out.)

I'm guessing that Spielberg didn't want to telegraph the fact that they were really inside a giant saucer, which is why this was downplayed in the film. But it still would've been nice to have had at least one matte painting of everyone walking along a giant corridor before reaching the treasure chamber and throne room. This would've allowed a quick homage to another classic 1950s B movie, Forbidden Planet.

MaxPhactor23

Hm! Good question. I enjoy the film, but it’s far from perfect. It’s in dire need of some cuts. This is the route I’d go:

- Alien angle is gone entirely. The Crystal Skull would look like the Mitchell-Hedges human skull and be occultist in origin. I’d axe out the Ancient Astronaut mumbo-jumbo due to it’s blatant conflicting themes. The Skulls would still retain their psychic ability, but I’d leave out the “Chariots of the Gods” bull****. This is Indiana Jones, not science fiction! When they’re all brought together they feed Irena knowledge, killing her (far more graphically) and subsequently the mysterious power collapse the temple.

- The Jungle Chase would lack much silliness. I’d tone down most all of the goofy aspects of the film entirely. So much of this film was overly heightened, even for an Indiana Jones film. They raised it to a level of ridiculousness. The ants wouldn’t seemingly be endless and have the temper of a velociraptor. The rubber tree scene would be gone entirely. I’d probably only retain one or two waterfall drops. The monkey scene…not happening. Replace all that with more adult and darker tones action. Think Raiders truck chase.

- Jungle Cutter Fight! Who didn’t think there would be some huge action scene on top of this thing? I was sure some unfortunate commie would be chopped to bits. The omitted jungle chase scenes I’d probably replace with a battle on this puppy. Such wasted potential.

- I’d have upped the violence. This is an Indiana Jones film for Christ sake. Indiana Jones should be blowing people away. That cemetery warrior should have got lead right in his chest. I don’t want him to so much as hesitate to shoot someone. Once again, this is Indiana Jones...not Superman. To top it off…the Russians would kill people on screen! I don’t want that camera veering and I want them doing far more dirty deeds. So much talk and such little action.

- The fridge wouldn’t exist! Instead of taking the rocket sled to doom town, Indiana Jones takes it to escape the nuclear blast. Lets say it’s used by scientists to get up as close as possible to the explosion, while able to escape quickly and safely. Indy and Colonel Dovchenko duke it out here and escape just in time, leaving the other Russians to the explosion.

- I’d probably cut Marion entirely. I’m still undecided. It was established that a female lead would never return. Now almost two decades later…what happened? Did they just plum forget or simply not care? Point being that Marion is relatively useless to the script anyway. She serves one lone purpose, the connection point between Indiana Jones and Mutt.

- Mac! First and foremost, Mac would not be such an annoying and goofy character. He never solidified. I’d have some comedic elements retained, but every other word out of his mouth wouldn’t be Jonesy! I’d top it off with him betraying Jones (again) by leading Irena to the skulls…and her flat-out killing him. We’re talking straight up impalement on that sword of hers. He served his purpose to her, now he’s just in the way. It’s a far more dramatic outing for the character and makes Irena a true threat.

- Ox! He’d be Mutt’s true father in my version. He’d also not be incompetently brainwashed or a walking piece of exposition. He’d be the reason for Mutt contacting Jones and them venturing to South America for the rescue. Pretty much the same as the film.

- Ugha tribe and Cemetery Warriors. I’d certainly one up them. No crawling out of walls firstly. That was a total “WTF” moment. Secondly I’d have them be of the same tribe, I’d even show some Cemetery warriors with the Ugha. Think of it as similar to the brotherhood of the cruciform in Last Crusade. They’re hunting everyone in order to keep the skulls secret.

Other then that I’d keep everything basically the way it is. I suppose that’s a lot of alterations, but it’s basically the same plot outline, just messing with some things and removing a character or two.

Last edited:

A_True_Believer

James said:
Not that I disagree with any of your ideas,

Bah! Feel free to disagree if you like. Debate is good as long as it doesn't devolve into name-calling. ;)

James said:
I also think a few extra scenes once they reached underground would've been a good addition. In the novelization, it's essentially a large underground complex. And in the novel, comic adaptation, and Darabont's script, Indy remarks that the entire thing is one big power plant. (This is what those giant gears are that they run past on the way out.)

I'm guessing that Spielberg didn't want to telegraph the fact that they were really inside a giant saucer, which is why this was downplayed in the film. But it still would've been nice to have had at least one matte painting of everyone walking along a giant corridor before reaching the treasure chamber and throne room. This would've allowed a quick homage to another classic 1950s B movie, Forbidden Planet.

I agree totally here. Even if they just passed through the same water turbine room from the end of the film, before getting to the artifact room, it would have been enough. It would have also helped, again, to establish the danger of the room so that it was more dramatic when it collapsed around them later.

Edit: MaxPhactor23, thanks for the comments, though I intended this thread to be more about small changes, not the complete removal of plot elements, characters and scenes. That said, I have to agree with you on the Jungle Cutter. I feel like they put that in the movie just to sell a toy. They really needed to do something more with it. I also like your alternate scene with the rocket sled. It would have been cool to see it race across the desert with the explosion right behind it.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
A_True_Believer said:
I was recently reminded of those Scion commercials that talk about how a small change can have a huge impact (Horse --> Unicorn, or "1-800" --> "1-900"). If you're not familiar with them, that's okay. My point is it got me thinking about what little tweaks could be made to Indy 4 that would make a big difference.
All of these things could probably have been done in the editing room...

MaxPhactor23 said:
Hm! Good question. I enjoy the film, but it’s far from perfect. It’s in dire need of some cuts. This is the route I’d go:
...these ones however, no way. So why even call them "cuts"?

I guess somebody kind of missed the point of this thread, or at least it seems so from my POV. It's not about making it better on the production and pre-prod stages, but trying to get most out of the results.

MaxPhactor23

Finn said:
...these ones however, no way. So why even call them "cuts"?

I guess somebody kind of missed the point of this thread, or at least it seems so from my POV. It's not about making it better on the production and pre-prod stages, but trying to get most out of the results.

Perhaps I misunderstood. Doesn't especially matter, I think anyone's changed could improve this film and I have little doubt my film would go over better then the final one did. I don't think that would be especially hard for anyone to do. That's what this thread is about anyway, improving the film.

Royce

MaxPhactor23 said:
Hm! Good question. I enjoy the film, but it?s far from perfect. It?s in dire need of some cuts. This is the route I?d go:

- Alien angle is gone entirely. The Crystal Skull would look like the Mitchell-Hedges human skull and be occultist in origin. I?d axe out the Ancient Astronaut mumbo-jumbo due to it?s blatant conflicting themes. The Skulls would still retain their psychic ability, but I?d leave out the ?Chariots of the Gods? bull****. This is Indiana Jones, not science fiction! When they?re all brought together they feed Irena knowledge, killing her (far more graphically) and subsequently the mysterious power collapse the temple.

- The Jungle Chase would lack much silliness. I?d tone down most all of the goofy aspects of the film entirely. So much of this film was overly heightened, even for an Indiana Jones film. They raised it to a level of ridiculousness. The ants wouldn?t seemingly be endless and have the temper of a velociraptor. The rubber tree scene would be gone entirely. I?d probably only retain one or two waterfall drops. The monkey scene?not happening. Replace all that with more adult and darker tones action. Think Raiders truck chase.

- Jungle Cutter Fight! Who didn?t think there would be some huge action scene on top of this thing? I was sure some unfortunate commie would be chopped to bits. The omitted jungle chase scenes I?d probably replace with a battle on this puppy. Such wasted potential.

- I?d have upped the violence. This is an Indiana Jones film for Christ sake. Indiana Jones should be blowing people away. That cemetery warrior should have got lead right in his chest. I don?t want him to so much as hesitate to shoot someone. Once again, this is Indiana Jones...not Superman. To top it off?the Russians would kill people on screen! I don?t want that camera veering and I want them doing far more dirty deeds. So much talk and such little action.

- The fridge wouldn?t exist! Instead of taking the rocket sled to doom town, Indiana Jones takes it to escape the nuclear blast. Lets say it?s used by scientists to get up as close as possible to the explosion, while able to escape quickly and safely. Indy and Colonel Dovchenko duke it out here and escape just in time, leaving the other Russians to the explosion.

- I?d probably cut Marion entirely. I?m still undecided. It was established that a female lead would never return. Now almost two decades later?what happened? Did they just plum forget or simply not care? Point being that Marion is relatively useless to the script anyway. She serves one lone purpose, the connection point between Indiana Jones and Mutt.

- Mac! First and foremost, Mac would not be such an annoying and goofy character. He never solidified. I?d have some comedic elements retained, but every other word out of his mouth wouldn?t be Jonesy! I?d top it off with him betraying Jones (again) by leading Irena to the skulls?and her flat-out killing him. We?re talking straight up impalement on that sword of hers. He served his purpose to her, now he?s just in the way. It?s a far more dramatic outing for the character and makes Irena a true threat.

- Ox! He?d be Mutt?s true father in my version. He?d also not be incompetently brainwashed or a walking piece of exposition. He?d be the reason for Mutt contacting Jones and them venturing to South America for the rescue. Pretty much the same as the film.

- Ugha tribe and Cemetery Warriors. I?d certainly one up them. No crawling out of walls firstly. That was a total ?WTF? moment. Secondly I?d have them be of the same tribe, I?d even show some Cemetery warriors with the Ugha. Think of it as similar to the brotherhood of the cruciform in Last Crusade. They?re hunting everyone in order to keep the skulls secret.

Other then that I?d keep everything basically the way it is. I suppose that?s a lot of alterations, but it?s basically the same plot outline, just messing with some things and removing a character or two.
I like where you're going with most of this. Especially Marion. I feel you cut Marion and it makes the jungle chase scene that much stronger. Because now it is up to Indy to take care of business. I like Mutt a lot so you have a big scene where Mutt and Indy are fighting the whole time, swapping cars and bad guys and you've got a winner.

And I would cut Ox as well. Well keep him to get the Indy down there, but kill him once they're there. I just feel not only did he not add anything, he really took stuff away. Instead of Indy solving riddles and figuring out where to go, they just followed Ox around. I didn't like that.

The last 25 minutes just felt too busy. Too many people, too much going on. You take out Marion and Ox and I think it solves that.

- I take out the ants entirely. Because there's just no way to do ants without it being CGI. And of all the scenes that shouldn't have involved CGI, it has to be the "bug" scene. That's got to be real. Replace ants with frogs, centipedes, whatever. Just something else. And I like what you said about the monkeys. Less "outside" luck and more Indy luck if you know what I mean.

MaxPhactor23

Royce said:
- I take out the ants entirely. Because there's just no way to do ants without it being CGI. And of all the scenes that shouldn't have involved CGI, it has to be the "bug" scene. That's got to be real. Replace ants with frogs, centipedes, whatever. Just something else. And I like what you said about the monkeys. Less "outside" luck and more Indy luck if you know what I mean.

One day I was going through my head as to what other adventure-like creepy creatures are left. We've done pretty much everything to varying degrees. I suppose you could even count the bats and crocs in Temple of Doom, though brief. Then it hit me! I was particularly partial toward piranhas…but it didn’t come to be. Whilst I enjoyed the ants, bugs have already been done. We’re treading water at this point. I thought of my old pet Piranha (aka Rancor). Piranhas would be something entirely new. Transport the location to near the Amazon. Have a big fight scene near a river full of them. Have Russian fall to his bloody and waterlogged death. Throw in some gore too for the old Indy feel. New and original but the same old feel. Plus it’s not nearly as over-the-top as man eating (and carrying) ants. Piranhas have been known to attack and kill human beings (though stories tend to be exagerrated). Plus it's accurate to South America. The ants in the film are African.

Last edited:

James

MaxPhactor23 said:
Plus it's accurate to South America. The ants in the film are African.

But the ants fit the B movie concept a lot better, and provided a nod to two 1950s classics (The Naked Jungle, Them!).

Piranhas wouldn't be a bad creepy-crawlie, though.

MaxPhactor23

James said:
But the ants fit the B movie concept a lot better, and provided a nod to two 1950s classics (The Naked Jungle, Them!).

Piranhas wouldn't be a bad creepy-crawlie, though.

Ant's do fit the 50's B-movie theme better. I can’t deny that. They're also creepier, though I wouldn't say more dangerous then Piranhas. But there in lies one issue I have. My version of Crystal Skull wouldn't be a 50's B-movie. I’ve never agreed that that was the right route to take Indy. It’s just too different from what we’ve come to expect from the series. Just because the setting happens to be in the 50's doesn't mean it has to be themed after corny cult classics made during the period in which this films continuity is set within. I’d make my film much more of what I’d interpret to be an Indiana Jones movie and have much less of the 50’s social commentary aspects. I'd cut the 50's pop culture movie references almost entirely. I’d still retain the more important notions like communists and the A-bomb, but I’d lack the (what I would deem) out-of-character sci-fi film nods. Aliens just strike me as very out-of-place in a series like Indiana Jones. It’s for these reason that I somewhat enjoyed Crystal Skull, but it’s also for these very reason that I can’t consider it amongst the others.

Last edited:

JerryKing

I'm guessing there are some preparations being discussed on fanedit.org already. "Indiana Jones & the Reedit of the Lost Fridge", probably...

Agent Z

MaxPhactor23 said:
- The fridge wouldn?t exist! Instead of taking the rocket sled to doom town, Indiana Jones takes it to escape the nuclear blast. Lets say it?s used by scientists to get up as close as possible to the explosion, while able to escape quickly and safely. Indy and Colonel Dovchenko duke it out here and escape just in time, leaving the other Russians to the explosion.

Hmmmm, not bad. Daddy like! However, you have the logistical nightmare of getting your top villain away from the bomb as well. Perhaps you extend the warehouse battles an extra beat while Spalko cruises away? Although that doesn't seem likely.....

I like it though. It just needs some reworking on the time lines already in place. :)

TheMutt92

The Man said:
Death to CGI! That movie has the greatest depiction of psychotic ants in cinema history. That set-piece of them boarding the yacht looks epic! ILM, you've shamed yourselves...

I don't know if I completly disagree w/ you. I though the effects in the film (both CG and live action) were done in such a way that made us know they were fake, but in a classic film sorta way and not just a really bad movie sorta way (for an example of a non-CG fake shot I didn't mind: the opening outside of Area 51. You could tell that was probably on a stage, but I though it gave the film a more classic look).

As for my changes?

- the opening sequence is nearly perfect, just have us focus on one of the Russians that catch on fire and have him stumble down at Mac's feet.

- have Marion puch Indy like she did in ROTLA when they first meet again.

- quickly mention off why Indy dosn't have his whip useful in the quicksand.

- have Mutt's vine swinging be w/ a little less ease (other than that, I didn't mind that part).

- give more urgency to the 'three drops'. Have certain characters fall out after the first or second drop and have them struggling to get back on.

- a chase w/ Indy and gang vs. Russians on boats would've been nice.

- slightly better use of the natives. From the trailer I thought we were going to get a shortened verison of the Dead Man's Chest natives.

- either have Spalko kill Mac in the alien chamber, or have his actual death be spelled out a little better.

- don't have the aliens form into one being. The version in the comic w/ them all approaching Spalko is pretty freaky cool.

- maybe the UFO shouldn't have looked so much like a UFO? (still debating this one)

Thats all I can think of right now.

BlackSleep

A_True_Believer said:
What little tweaks would you make?

I would have cut the vine-swinging and cliff-descent-via-tree bits completely. I would have written Marion out. I would have used considerably less CGI. I would have shown a few drops of blood throughout, and toned down the overabundance of "humor" and comedy.

Quickening

BlackSleep said:
I would have cut the vine-swinging and cliff-descent-via-tree bits completely. I would have written Marion out. I would have used considerably less CGI. I would have shown a few drops of blood throughout, and toned down the overabundance of "humor" and comedy.

So... you'd have made a different film. Same here pretty much.