"Don't Think We Wanna Go That Way"

DIrishB

Agent Crab said:
Haven't we had pole shifts before and we are still alive? I doubt we will all die on 2012.

Not as far as I know, or at least not on the level expected by the Mayan calendar predictions. I dont think it'll be the end of the world, but it should be mentioned that the Mayan calendar system is still more advanced than our own current time keeping systems. They've also been pretty reliable (incredibly so) in terms of their "predictions", at least if you buy into certain interpretations.

indy34

Agent Crab said:
Haven't we had pole shifts before and we are still alive? I doubt we will all die on 2012.
I know I was only saying it might happen
If it does happen best case senario is that our electronics are usless for a while...not exactly sure how it all works but thats what my brother was saying

Gear

Agent Crab said:

O.K, The Mayan calendar is made up of Katoons; periods used to chart and keep time (and my spelling may be incorect, but it is pronounced Ca-Toon). The first Katoon started when the Mayan people arose. When one Katoon ends another begins. Their calendar ends on the 13th Katoon leaving some to believe this to be the end of the world.

The Mayan also knew through calculations that we live inside what they called (rough translation) the 'Mother Godess' [the Milky Way] and that at the center of this was a demon.

Scientists have only now started to agree that at the center of our galexy is infact a massive black hole and most are stunned at the exacting cosmic knowledge the Maya had which leads most to hold faith with their precice numbers.

What they have also relized is that every 26000 years the magnetic poles of the Earth shift destroying the Ozone layer (not the atmosphere) until the poles settle, where they are regenerated. This happens over a relatively quick time interval.

Scientists have linked this with the phonomana in which the Earth lines up perfectly with the center of our galexy, meaning there will be nothing blocking a straight shot (hypathetically of course) between us and that center in which the gravities may have bizzare effects on the planet. No one knows for sure what will happen because there are no writen records of it in the past (No one is even sure if humans were around back then, although some have argued so). They do know this [the lining up] will occur on December 21, 2012.

I've mentioned this before but I'll add my two cents again, I will not say the world will end in 2012, but I will say that I think the world as we know it will cease allowing for a new to start. The reality is that the world changes every day, some have bigger impacts than others, but life goes on.

Gear

Thanks for totally ignoring my post above and the blatant rhetoric.

Now that we've covered that ground lets move on.

AngieAki

Stoo said:
Mid-October is when it will reach maximum so if we are going to go bye-bye, it'll be then...:eek:
but but... its not 2012 yet!

lol I am only 17 and twice in my life I have already been told that the world was going to end with a definite date set.
The first time was the whole New Millennium thing.
The second was 6/6/06
(which I didn't take seriously, the first I did though cause I was a kid and gullible)
honestly I am not going to worry too much about it.
if **** is going to hit the fan it is going to hit the fan.
nothing I can do about it.
might as well just enjoy life.

Agent Crab

Yeah, I rememebr 6-6-06. Not many people made a big deal over it. It felt like another day to me. 2012 is gonna be another year for me.

*shurgs*

We're all fine.

Gear

Huh, the equivalent of $9,000,000,000 and less than a month in....

... well that's great.

Indy's brother

This is also funny 10 other dates the world failed to end

Seems like the world is going to end all the dang time. I think that doomsday predictions are a perennial favorite because of our own individual mortality. The end is always there, looming in the distance, and we are all waiting for our turn. Today? Tomorrow? It is unknown when, but remains a certainty for every man, woman, child, dog, housefly, whatever. We are predisposed to fear it, expect it, and somehow ignore it all at the same time. By putting a calendar date or event in front of ourselves, we can feel some sort of misplaced power over the grim spectre of death. That's not to say that there won't be some cataclysmic occurrence that will wipe us all out. I'm just trying to give a theory on people's fascination with doomsayers and presages.

Gear

French Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux said:
We are in a situation of permanent alert. We follow statements made by the leaders of certain organisations day by day. We never let our guard down. The danger is permanent

Why does this sound familiar?

Agent Crab

You know it's not gonna kill us all, right?
Damn scare mongers.

Then again, people thought we were all gonan die from NASA bombing the moon last week.

Insomniac

Agent Crab said:
You know it's not gonna kill us all, right?
Damn scare mongers.

Then again, people thought we were all gonan die from NASA bombing the moon last week.
Famous last words*

lol