Indiana Jones and the Disney Connection

dr.jones1986

Attila the Professor said:
So here's some commentary on the prop vehicles at Walt Disney World.

The gist is that recently the tank, at the very least, has been refurbished, having gone from this...

tank_old.jpg

to this.

tank_headon.jpg
Thanks for posting this Atilla. When I was there last in 2008 it looked terrible as did all of TLC props. Can anyone get us pictures of any of the other props at the Disney Hollywood Studios. I hope they restore them all properly. It seems that at Disneyland they keep the truck from Raiders in good shape (I have not been there yet but I will be going this summer).

Stoo

Moedred said:
Spielberg, 1978:

"What we're just doing here, really, is designing a ride at DisneyLand."

"This mine cart thing, we should shoot it at the DisneyLand Matterhorn."
At the National Geographic Exhibition, the audio guide stated that the mine cart sound effects were recorded from rollercoasters at Disneyland. The "Doom" crew were given unlimited access to the park after operating hours.

I wonder if this is mentioned in the "Complete Making of" book?
The gist is that recently the tank, at the very least, has been refurbished, having gone from this...
Last month, my brother brought his wife & kids to Walt Disney World and he took a photo of the refurbished tank for me. It's lookin' good!

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
At the National Geographic Exhibition, the audio guide stated that the mine cart sound effects were recorded from rollercoasters at Disneyland. The "Doom" crew were given unlimited access to the park after operating hours.

I read that too... or maybe Laird told us that on the IndyCast

From August 2009

Hi Pat! It's me, Eddie the So-Cal Reporter and (right now proclaiming Disney Correspondent) for the Indy-Cast! I just wanted to try my hand at stumping the brotherhood. Please read the question as accuratly as I wrote it, I know it's vague but let's see what the Brotherhood can do! Love the trivia section by the way. If you need any Disney/Indy, I'm your guy!

Here goes: Tony Baxter is the Senior Vice President of Creative Development for Walt Disney Imagineering and, of Course, close to us Indy-Fans as the creator of Indiana Jones Adventure and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye which opened in 1995, but this wasn't the first time Mr. Baxter was part of the Indy Franchise. When and for what was this?

Answer: Tony Baxter's roles on his first projects were relatively minor, but he was eventually given extensive creative control of the replacement for The Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland called Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which debuted at Disneyland in 1979, at Walt Disney World in 1980, and later at Disneyland Paris in 1992. After this, he continued to be assigned high-level roles in Imagineering projects such as Journey into Imagination, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, Star Tours, and later Indiana Jones Adventure. What, other than the ride, does he have to do with Indy? Well around what I would guess would be 1983, a certain sound effects artist named Ben Burtt was looking for the sounds for a little film called Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, primarily a action oriented scene about a mine car chase. Well as you know from bonus features he took his sound equipment down to Disneyland and recorded all the rollercoasters and since Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was in the park after 1979 and it's self was an illusion of a runaway train, it would be one of the rollercoasters now in Temple of Doom.

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:

I wonder if this is mentioned in the "Complete Making of" book?
Last month, my brother brought his wife & kids to Walt Disney World and he took a photo of the refurbished tank for me. It's lookin' good!
I know i have heard they used Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as sound effects for TOD's minecar scene. I think it may have been on one of the DVD extras.

Stoo, did your brother mention if any of the other props from TLC were restored?

Stoo

Eddie the So-Cal Reporter via Rocket Surgeon said:
Well as you know from bonus features...
Ah, yes. It was mentioned in the DVD Bonus Material. I thought that factoid sounded familiar! Back in '82, I rode Big Thunder Mountain in Florida and it was much fun.

So before Indiana Jones was in Disney's Magic Kingdom (BARF!:sick:), a part of Disney's Magic Kingdom was in Indiana Jones!:eek:
dr.jones1986 said:
Stoo, did your brother mention if any of the other props from TLC were restored?
No, sorry, Dr.1986. He's not that big of a fan.

Explorer1074

I took my family on a trip to the Orlando Disney World in 2009. As I remember it, they had the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular labeled as "Disney Hollywood Studios". The Star Wars theme park was in the same vicinity. I personally don't mind the Disney association with Indiana Jones. Either way it's positive promotion for the franchise.

Dr.Sartorius

Explorer1074 said:
I took my family on a trip to the Orlando Disney World in 2009. As I remember it, they had the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular labeled as "Disney Hollywood Studios". The Star Wars theme park was in the same vicinity. I personally don't mind the Disney association with Indiana Jones. Either way it's positive promotion for the franchise.

The Indy stunt show is located at Disney's Hollywood Studios, which is a WDW theme park. The show itself isn't called Disney Hollywood Studios.

Stoo

Explorer1074 said:
The new, official name of ?Disney?s Hollywood Studios? only happened in 2008. When that part of the park first opened 22 years ago, it was called, ?Disney-MGM Studios?. In 1989, what did Indiana Jones have to do with either Disney or MGM?:confused: Answer = NOTHING!(n)

The ?Temple of the Forbidden Eye? ride in Anaheim and the ?Temple du Péril? rollercoaster in Paris are both in the Magic Kingdom.:sick: (Not sure about ?Temple of the Crystal Skull? in Tokyo...Earlier in this thread, the esteemed, Le Saboteur, indicated that it?s in a different section.)
Explorer1074 said:
Either way it's positive promotion for the franchise.
They should add a feature where a man gets his head cut off and it rolls into each child?s lap!:p

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
(Not sure about ?Temple of the Crystal Skull? in Tokyo...Earlier in this thread, the esteemed, Le Saboteur, indicated that it?s in a different section.)

In Tokyo, it resides at the Tokyo DisneySea park in the Lost River Delta region, a themed area of the park that centers on, from what I understand, the Indy ride.

There's even a pontoon plane:

gallery002.jpg

And here's a shot to both impress and infuriate, no doubt:

tumblr_lf4wyeFo9G1qg26fgo1_500.jpg

Explorer1074

Dr.Sartorius said:
The Indy stunt show is located at Disney's Hollywood Studios, which is a WDW theme park. The show itself isn't called Disney Hollywood Studios.

I know that. I was saying the show is called the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular which is located in Disney's Hollywood Studios. I never visited Disney before so I never knew it as MGM Hollywood studios.

Stoo said:
The new, official name of ?Disney?s Hollywood Studios? only happened in 2008. When that part of the park first opened 22 years ago, it was called, ?Disney-MGM Studios?. In 1989, what did Indiana Jones have to do with either Disney or MGM?:confused: Answer = NOTHING!(n)

Well not exactly true. What did Indiana Jones have to do with Disney or MGM? The answer is George Lucas and Steven Speilberg. In the late 70's the company now known as Pixar was a computer graphics division of Lucasfilm back then. Steve Jobs from Apple bought the graphic division in the 80's and was later bought by Disney and the graphics company renamed to Pixar.

A young Steven Speilberg got his break working as a director for Universal. Due to Hollywood being a never ending saga of company buy outs and merges at one time or another MGM and Universal were tied together or had contracts together. In the mid 80s MGM did a licensing contract with Disney for the theme park (which I never knew until now). So I think in a nut shell since George Lucas and Steven Speilberg were directors and friends it's not really a surprise their works are networked all over the place and end up at places like Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Changing Walt's Anti-Semite world view???

Disney Trademarks Seal Team 6

...Apparently two days after the Navy SEALs Team 6 was responsible for killing Osama bin Laden, Disney applied for a trademark on Seal Team 6 to cover clothing, toys, games, video games, and entertainment and education services, among a few other areas as well. Now, it is true that Disney has been working on a movie about seals, but the timing still seems pretty suspicious...

Coming soon to an amusment park near you. A shooting arcade with 4D effects on the killing on Bin Laden...

Wait'll you see the ride for this one Stoo. Pr0n, pot, heroin, a harem...yee haw.

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
Disney Trademarks Seal Team 6

Coming soon to an amusment park near you. A shooting arcade with 4D effects on the killing on Bin Laden...

Wait'll you see the ride for this one Stoo. Pr0n, pot, heroin, a harem...yee haw.
Wow. This reminds me of the absurd 1995-2000 contract that Disney had with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police...the red-coated 'Mounties'. I used to have a keychain with Mickey as a Mountie. If a film/ride is made from this, they should get the Sherman brothers back together to write a song called, "They Don't Think Like I Do.":eek::p
In Tokyo, it resides at the Tokyo DisneySea park in the Lost River Delta region, a themed area of the park that centers on, from what I understand, the Indy ride.

There's even a pontoon plane:

And here's a shot to both impress and infuriate, no doubt:
The temple looks very impressive (and I must admit that I have a photo of myself with a pith-helmet-wearing Goofy at Disneyland Paris.:eek:)

The plane is a sweet addition but the aircraft I.D. reads, "C-3PO" and not "OB-CPO". Can you picture all the Oriental tourists who don't know better? "See Tree Pee O...Dat from a da Sta Was! I not know dat Disney make a da Sta Was and da Indiana Jones!":p
Explorer1074 said:
Well not exactly true. What did Indiana Jones have to do with Disney or MGM? The answer is George Lucas and Steven Speilberg. In the late 70's the company now known as Pixar was a computer graphics division of Lucasfilm back then. Steve Jobs from Apple bought the graphic division in the 80's and was later bought by Disney and the graphics company renamed to Pixar.
Right. I'm well aware of Pixar's history and how it began but you're playing the game of "Six Degrees of Seperation". By this logic, I can connect Indy to other great, American companies such as Coca-Cola, Kellog's, Levi's, etc.
Explorer1074 said:
A young Steven Speilberg got his break working as a director for Universal. Due to Hollywood being a never ending saga of company buy outs and merges at one time or another MGM and Universal were tied together or had contracts together. In the mid 80s MGM did a licensing contract with Disney for the theme park (which I never knew until now).
Indiana Jones is related to MGM because Spielberg "got his break" working for Universal?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!:confused:

This said, welcome to The Raven, Explorer1074.:hat:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
If a film/ride is made from this, they should get the Sherman brothers back together to write a song called, "They Don't Think Like I Do.":eek::p

Bob n' Dick would be just the sort of fellas that could pen a song that would be worthy of all things un holey.

Stoo

Pre-1989 Connection!

Contrary to my stance on the Indy/Disney connection, I just remembered that there is something that pre-dates the Stunt Spectacular in 1989. The Read-Alongs released by Buena Vista!:eek:

The thread on the subject: Indiana Jones: Read Along Adventures

@Pale Horse: There is a recent documentary about the Sherman brothers. Have you seen it? 'Tis very good.

Pale Horse

Staff member
It's in my TiVo queue waiting for the time to watch it.

Being a music major in College with an emphasis on composition, I find them to be genius...They may singlehandedly be the whole reason I enjoy Disney today. Their music started it.

Oh, and her...

Explorer1074

Stoo said:
Right. I'm well aware of Pixar's history and how it began but you're playing the game of "Six Degrees of Seperation". By this logic, I can connect Indy to other great, American companies such as Coca-Cola, Kellog's, Levi's, etc.

Not really. People work for Lucas they move on (end up at Pixar). Pixar ends up being bought out by Disney and you now have people working at Disney that use to work for Lucas. Network, Network, Network. They are all tied to each other one way or another. Factor in Spielberg and you have two of Hollywood's biggest film makers related to lots of projects.

It
Stoo said:
Indiana Jones is related to MGM because Spielberg "got his break" working for Universal?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!:confused:

This said, welcome to The Raven, Explorer1074.:hat:

Thanks. Basically yes. At one time or another Speilberg had ties with Universal which had ties to MGM. Speilberg worked on An American Tail, The Land Before Time which were released by Universal Studios. He also worked on the Roger Rabbit stuff which was released by Disney. Then there's his gaming credentials and he pitched The Dig to Lucas arts. Of course as we all know Indiana Jones is the product of both Lucas and Speilberg. So is it a shock to see something like the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular at Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM)? I think not.

Stoo

Explorer1074 said:
Not really. People work for Lucas they move on (end up at Pixar). Pixar ends up being bought out by Disney and you now have people working at Disney that use to work for Lucas. Network, Network, Network. They are all tied to each other one way or another. Factor in Spielberg and you have two of Hollywood's biggest film makers related to lots of projects.
Sorry, Explorer, but Disney only bought Pixar in 2006. ALL the Indy attractions opened before then (1989, 1993, 1995 and 2001) so the Pixar connection doesn't fit.
Explorer1074 said:
Thanks. Basically yes. At one time or another Speilberg had ties with Universal which had ties to MGM. Speilberg worked on An American Tail, The Land Before Time which were released by Universal Studios. He also worked on the Roger Rabbit stuff which was released by Disney. Then there's his gaming credentials and he pitched The Dig to Lucas arts. Of course as we all know Indiana Jones is the product of both Lucas and Speilberg.
This is all very convoluted, especially the relation to Universal. Playing the "Six Degrees of Seperation" game can connect any random person to anything. The Indiana Jones films were not made by Disney nor MGM. What appears at the beginning of each Indy film (and the VHS/DVDs of the TV series)? The Paramount mountain or MGM's roaring lion?
Explorer1074 said:
So is it a shock to see something like the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular at Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM)? I think not.
When the "Stunt Spectacular" opened back in '89, it was indeed a shock! Don't know how old you were at that time but I was well & truly mystified.:confused::eek: Now that the (exterior) park's name has been changed, it may not appear as strange to someone who doesn't know about the former name. (Someone like yourself, I believe.)

However, "Forbidden Eye" and "Temple du Péril" are right the heart of their respective Magic Kingdoms.:sick: It's plainly ridiculous!
Explorer1074 said:
I never visited Disney before so I never knew it as MGM Hollywood studios.
Just to let you know, it was never called "MGM Hollywood Studios" so no one else ever knew it as that either.;) The original name was "Disney-MGM Studios" and it only changed 3 years ago.

P.S. My tone can be harsh at times so, please, don't take it the wrong way.