Raiders Folding knife? Help?

Indy's brother

It's a nice looking knife, but why not save yourself 60 bucks and get the one from Todds?

World Knives:
products-1986-1-original_Linder-Stag-Handle-Locking-Pocket-Knife---Nr--312111.jpg

Todds:
354200__59867_zoom.jpg

IndyJoey

I dont want the Todd's one cause im not sure of its quality, not screen wise, but knife wise. The world knives one is from Solingen, and every knife i have had from there was very good.

Matt R

I have just taken delivery of the Linder 312111. This is a really substantial piece with a solid feel in the hand. The stag horn scales are thick and pinned with 5 brass pins which give it a really retro look. There are a few similar knives around that offer themselves as an Indy pocket knife and although I did consider the Todds version, for me it was a choice between the Linder & the Hubertus 13300HH00.
The Linder is also available in the UK so it was a bonus as the retailer offers free shipping to UK customers.
The Linder is about as close as you can get to the screen used version and still retain the quality at a reasonable price. Worth the investment as it will likely become a future heirloom also...(y)

Goodeknight

Matt R said:
Worth the investment as it will likely become a future heirloom also...(y)

That sums it up. A Linder/Solingen will hold up for generations. It's a matter of whether you want a costume prop that looks good and functions pretty well, or a top of the line knife that will become part of the family history. Don't get me wrong. I love Todds stuff. But while a Todds whip is great for costuming and light cracking, it's no Morgan/Strain/Jacka/Nolan/etc.

Same with these knives. I'm sure the $20 knife looks good and is 'nice for the price,' but it wouldn't compare favorably side by side with the others.

So, Joey and Matt -- I'd say you chose....wisely.

Matt R

goodeknight said:
So, Joey and Matt -- I'd say you chose....wisely.

Always good to hear the same views Goodeknight..thanks. Will be looking to further customize the knife, much as I did with the Ravenwood lighter, just looking at where a little personal engraving could be placed on the knife to add to the 'Jones' provenance...will publish photos when completed. :D

Goodeknight

Look forward to seeing the finished product, Matt. The "Jones" customization is an interesting thought. Perhaps Indy got it from his dad, and will eventually pass his on to his lame son, Shia.

So if there are a few "close" knives, is that to say the one used in Raiders is out of production? Anyone know who made the one used in Raiders?? Is it documented? Might have been, "Anyone got a pocket knife? We need one for this next shot."

Do we ever see it outside of the tent scene?

Matt R

There is some suggestion that Harrison Ford used his own pocket knife for this scene. This appears to have been a previous discussion on a thread on IndyGear.Com however the link sadly no longer works.
The following page on http://www.popeater.com/2011/06/12/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-turns-30/ indicated Fords own pocket knife was also used to distress the 10 leather prop jackets for the film...maybe it's the same one although another site indicates this was his Swiss army knife that did the distressing of the jackets so we may never find out...unless anyone has an in with Mr F himself!?!:confused:

Henry W Jones

I would not engrave it. First, it is more screen accurate without. Second, if your last name is Smith, why engrave a knife with Jones especially if it is not engraved in the film. I hate Indiana Jones gear that has Indiana Jones labeling all over it.

Fedora1989

IndyJoey said:
I dont want the Todd's one cause im not sure of its quality, not screen wise, but knife wise. The world knives one is from Solingen, and every knife i have had from there was very good.
Surprisingly, the quality of Todd's knife isn't bad at all. I've had mine since Todd started selling them, and with years of use, it still opens and closes with no problem. Of course I do maintenance work to it, cleaning, oiling, etc., but every folding knife needs that. It holds an edge pretty well, too! But the Linder knife is better quality all around, and that can't be beat. I'll be ordering one soon as well. :hat:

Goodeknight

Fedora1989 said:
Surprisingly, the quality of Todd's knife isn't bad at all. I've had mine since Todd started selling them, and with years of use, it still opens and closes with no problem. Of course I do maintenance work to it, cleaning, oiling, etc., but every folding knife needs that. It holds an edge pretty well, too! But the Linder knife is better quality all around, and that can't be beat. I'll be ordering one soon as well. :hat:

I'm sure Todds is good quality. I'm always curious to hear from people (a rare few) who in these circumstances have both versions, like a Todds and a Linder, or a Todds whip and a Morgan, or a Magnoli jacket and a Wested. Fedora, hope you check back in here if/when you order and receive the Linder.