• Spin-offs

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Recast/Reboot

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
The truck scene would be as mocked today as the fridge scene was in 2008.

You can't see a 60 year old man leap across a gap? Really? Or run?

If they set the movie in the 1970s when Indy is in his 70s I would agree but...If the film is set in 1965 or even 1967 I could see it.

The only one imposing restraints on the action are your own worries. Yeah, he's not going to get dragged by a truck. But he'll still fight, shoot, and whip. You act like the character is going to be 80.

I know we're supposed to hate old people...but I don't. Sorry.

Indy will be 70 in the film, as Harrison will be 76 and is usually 6 years older than the character.

Besides, Harrison runs, jumps and punches with ease in the real world so why can?t Indy do that in movies?

http://extratv.com/2017/07/23/harrison-ford-on-blade-runner-return-stunts-were-easy-peasy/

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
I know we're supposed to hate old people...but I don't. Sorry.
Now you are sounding like a SJW wannabe...

At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preferences.
You are delighted to watch a near octogenarian actor play a late 60s action hero, great. Good for you.

I'd rather watch a younger actor play Indy in his prime.
Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
They're ultimately dumb action movies with a cool hero, .

Thank you for illustrating my point. Today's audiences don't want dumb action movies anymore. If we did, DC movies would be as wildly successful as the MCU, or John Wick.

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
Thank you for illustrating my point. Today's audiences don't want dumb action movies anymore. If we did, DC movies would be as wildly successful as the MCU, or John Wick.

DC movies are depressing, preachy and dark, and don't capture the upbeat feel of the source material well, which is why they fail. Marvel's films are dumb, fun action movies and they make money.

Raiders90

Let's say you're in charge of Indy at LF. Let's also say Indy V is released with Harrison and it was a success.

1) Where do you from there? Total reboot? Prequels?

2) What remains canon?

3) What do you do about the YIJC? Options are:

1) Render it non-canon
2) Keep it canon, but don't reference it.
3) Keep it canon and reference it
4) Keep core details (like Indy serving as a spy in WWI and certain flames)
canon, but disregard the rest

4) If you do prequels, what year do you start? When do you stop?

5) Do you do any interquels (IE WW2 era Indy films) that exist in the current continuety?

6) What happens to the novels, games, comics, etc?

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
Let's say you're in charge of Indy at LF. Let's also say Indy V is released with Harrison and it was a success.

2) What remains canon?

1) Render it non-canon

5) Do you do any interquels (IE WW2 era Indy films) that exist in the current continuety?

Going by what Lucasfilm did with Star Wars, they will be canon to the previous films. I think Indy 5 should star Harrison Ford but have a flashback scene like The Last Crusade and introduce us to another actor in the role who will take us on new adventures in the 20?s - 40?s going forward. I?m even fine with Harrison returning for book ending cameo sequences in future films to his dying day.

Olliana

If I have to read 'flashback' or 'book-ending' one more time, I'll go berserk.

Gph7.gif

Z dweller

It's way to early to speculate, it all hinges on what they do with Indy 5 and how it fares in theaters.

I know you said "let's assume it's a success", but what does that mean without any further details?
I think we need to analyze the factors that could make Indy 5 successful, before trying to answer your other questions.

IMO, the key factors are:
A) The quality of the script.
B) Disney's marketing strategy.
C) Whether or not they introduce a younger actor in flashbacks.

A good script may not be enough to draw in young audiences, without a smart marketing campaign and a younger actor they can relate to and identify with for at least part of the movie.
My greatest fear is that Spielberg, Ford and Lucas (if he really is still involved in some capacity) fail to realize this and just rely on Ford's pulling power on its own.

If that happens the movie may well bomb, whether or not the story is any good, just like BR2049 bombed.
And if it does, then Disney might decide to call it a day with movies, at least for a long while.

Re: what is retained as "canon" outside of the movies, I personally couldn't care less.

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:

2) What remains canon?

1) Render it non-canon

1. I'd do prequels. Total reboots are way too confusing, and most of the audience simply wouldn't get it. Prequels will expose the audience to a series of adventures in Indy's past that they haven't seen before.
2. Everything in the Expanded Adventures would remain canon, though I'd want to try and resolve as many continuity errors as possible. (The advantage Indy has over Star Wars is that it's expanded universe is smaller, allowing more control over it).
3. A mix between two and three. You'd have to keep it canon and occasionally reference it (like a scene where Indy loses an eye--could be done similarly to Thor: Ragnarok), but I wouldn't want to overdo it. Indy films thrive because they don't constantly reference one another, but are instead independent adventures with their own feel.
4. Start after 1930. Finish around 1945. Don't really want to see a new Indy in the 20s (that's what YIJC was for) or in the 50s-60s (that's Harrison's time).
5. Yes, simply because there aren't many stories in that timeline.
6. Try to pump out some more Indy merchandise. Perhaps issue some new novels written by Rob MacGregor as well as reprints of the old ones. AAA games can be successful, so make at least 2-3 actual console/PC games as well as around 5-6 mobile games. I'd release the unreleased version of SoK as a gift to the IndyFans out there.

deepermagic

In another thread I threw out a less than adequate idea, but one that tried to hold onto the reality of what Disney might do and make the best of it...

Have Indy form some kind of archaeology/scholar/adventure society where he is no longer the protagonist, but the mentor to one or more younger heroes in the mold of Indiana Jones. The society is secret and necessary because of how the modern world is more regulated and Jones is under scrutiny (or maybe even looked upon as the bad guy and forced underground) and evil must still be stopped (because, you know, there ought to be an evil society trying to find stuff too). I personally think this is the best way to go. Ford will forever be Indiana Jones and the new adventurers can have new Jones-esque adventures from the late 60s, early 70s on. I think there's huge opportunities to tell some great stories without tarnishing the past. The hardest part would be marketing. You couldn't call it "Indiana Jones and the..." but it shouldn't be too insurmountable...Everyone knows what universe "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" belongs to even though you don't have "Harry Potter and the..."

Or, if one is hell bent on keeping cannon and re-casting a young Jones, you could go really bonkers:

Indy discovers some wackado time-soul thing-a-ma-jig that transports his spirit back in time or through some other dimension. His spirit is zapped into some New Hot Actor body who has no memory of his "past/future/HarrisonFord" self and then proceed... in this way you're essentially re-setting without erasing the universe/canon. Kind of like how they did with the new Star Trek movies.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:

2) What remains canon?

1) Render it non-canon

1) Curmudgeon created a robust foray into this very topic:
Post-"Indy 5" Film Models

2) Success (or failure) of #5 with Harrison wouldn't affect canonicity one way or the other. :confused: Unless, of course, the new movie has Indy saying something like, "After riding with Villa, I returned to school and never got involved in The Great War. Played piano instead. I was crazy about ragtime."

3) See your other thread on this:
Should future Indy films retcon the YIJC?

4) See your other thread on this:
How far back should a (post Harrison) prequel go?

5) No films or TV shows set between 1935-57 unless they are animated or use a perfect CG replica of Harrison Ford.

6) What happens to the novels & comics? They get reprinted & repackaged for a new wave of consumers.

Olliana said:
If I have to read 'flashback' or 'book-ending' one more time, I'll go berserk.
Even more irksome is the constant misuse of the word, "cameo". You'd think that film enthusiasts would learn the proper terminology when discussing things like, y'know, films! :mad: (n)

TheFirebird1 said:
4. Start after 1930. Finish around 1945. Don't really want to see a new Indy in the 20s (that's what YIJC was for) or in the 50s-60s (that's Harrison's time).
Hello, Firebird. The '50s-'60s are Harrison's time but 1935-45 is not? :confused: This question is about prequels and anything during those years wouldn't be a prequel. Plus, the "Chronicles" end in 1920 (with unproduced episodes set in 1921) so that decade is not 'what YIJC was for". Prequels should start no earlier than late 1920 and stop in late 1934. It's not rocket science, mate. ;)

TheFirebird1

Stoo said:
1) Hello, Firebird. The '50s-'60s are Harrison's time but 1935-45 is not? :confused: This question is about prequels and anything during those years wouldn't be a prequel. Plus, the "Chronicles" end in 1920 (with unproduced episodes set in 1921) so that decade is not 'what YIJC was for". Prequels should start no earlier than late 1920 and stop in late 1934. It's not rocket science, mate. ;)
Hey, Stoo! Well, for all intents and purposes, we've never seen an Indy film that took place in 1937, 1939, or the years of 1940-1956--I assume those would be considered interquels, so my apologies for screwing up on that. As for the 1920s, although many interesting events occur during that time period for Indy, it's a bit harder to market him as a twenty-something year old when most are used to seeing him from the 1930s onward--just look at what happened to Solo, which was a film of that nature.
Stoo said:
1) 5) No films or TV shows set between 1935-57 unless they are animated or use a perfect CG replica of Harrison Ford.
Doesn't that severely limit certain opportunities, however? If you really want, make as many films in the twenties as you like, but wouldn't the Second World War (a time period that's very underpopulated as far as Indy goes) add a lot of possible storylines? No one's seen how that era exactly transformed him, although we've seen the impact of the thirties and fifties, so why put a chokehold around it just because it's not a perfect CG replica of Harrison?

Z dweller

De-aged Harrison Ford
How time flies... just five years ago, when this thread was started, who'd have thought that de-aging technology would come this far?
I certainly didn't.

Blade Runner 2049 was a game changer IMO, although back then I felt that the Rachael replica(nt) was good, but not quite good enough.

Fast forward to today and we have people like Shamook achieving outstanding results... and now that we've seen amazing images of a de-aged Ford, who's to say what happens next, particularly if Indy 5 knocks it out of the park for Disney?

I'm not sure about a full movie, but like I said in the other thread I'd totally go for a TV prequel series entirely produced like that.
Bring it on!*

*Just for the record, I'd also be happy with a new, younger actor instead.