Crystal Skull hatred knows no bounds

seasider

AICN today posted a promotion for some Indiana Jones event where participants can eat food Temple of Doom style and other stuff. Sounds like fun but then comes the annoying bit where they emphasize that they're showing the first 3 movies and try to pretend that Crystal Skull does not exist. I understand that a lot of fans didn't like the last one but there were a lot that did and accepted it as a part of the Indiana Jones canon. It just annoys me when people do stuff like this. I mean what's wrong with just showing all 4 movies and letting the fans decide?

http://www.originalalamo.com/show.aspx?id=7162

Crystal Supporter whining knows no bounds.

What's wrong with letting the fans decide if they want to attend the event? If they want to see the movie so badly, they can see it elsewhere. The event is entitled to function as it chooses.

seasider said:
It just annoys me when people do stuff like this. I mean what's wrong with just showing all 4 movies and letting the fans decide?

I know how you feel, but I'm with RA on this one, it seems as though the fans DID decide, and they had so much support they were encouraged to run an event, without Crystal Skull.

seasider

Yes, everyone who disagrees with something or has a differing should just go home and shut up and fall back in line. These guys can do whatever they want, that's their right,but to me it just smells of fan snobbery and arrogance. Just as they're entitled to have the event they way they want it, I'm just as entitled to air my grievances about it.

seasider said:
Yes, everyone who disagrees with something or has a differing should just go home and shut up and fall back in line. These guys can do whatever they want, that's their right,but to me it just smells of fan snobbery and arrogance. Just as they're entitled to have the event they way they want it, I'm just as entitled to air my grievances about it.

No, I think your argument was "shut up and go home," mine was that they are entitled and it is pointless to argue that they're running THEIR event wrong. Run your own damn event if you got a problem with it. Otherwise, shut up and go home.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Rocket Surgeon said:
Hey, even The Raven segregates Crystal Skull from "The Indiana Jones Trilogy".

Surprising as it may be, no mention at all here:

http://www.lucasfilm.com/films/indy/

LOL! Maybe Crystal Skull isn't canon? Maybe it really was just a dream!;)

There's an empty box at the bottom beside the "Young Indy" box. By the looks of things, no one at Lucasfilm has been doing their job! It looks as though they had it ready when they were making the movie, but never actually completed the box, link and page to that film.

Forbidden Eye

Rocket Surgeon said:
Hey, even The Raven segregates Crystal Skull from "The Indiana Jones Trilogy".

Surprising as it may be, no mention at all here:

http://www.lucasfilm.com/films/indy/

Come on, you know better than that. The only three pictures of Revenge of the Sith they have are behind the scenes pics. In other words: that site hasn't been updated in forever.

As for the topic, I agree that they should be allowed to show just the trilogy and exclude Kingdom if they want to, but frankly, I agree with the original poster that the constant snarkiness through-out the advertisement wasn't really needed and would make me less interested if this event were playing anywhere around me.

Forbidden Eye said:
Come on, you know better than that. The only three pictures of Revenge of the Sith they have are behind the scenes pics. In other words: that site hasn't been updated in forever.
Sure I do, but now that you mention it, what awards did Crystal Skull win?

Forbidden Eye said:
...I agree with the original poster that the constant snarkiness through-out the advertisement wasn't really needed and would make me less interested if this event were playing anywhere around me.

I would agree the "snarkiness" was annoying, but it would hardly make me less interested in the event.

Crystal Skull doesn't make OR break Indiana Jones in my opinion...but it comes the closest to breaking Indy out of any post Raiders film.

Mickiana

Maybe everyone at Lucasfilm is too busy working on the very secret Indy5 and have been too busy to update the filmography on their website? It does seem remiss of whomever is responsible for this oversight. Maybe that person was told to "shut up and go home", as in "Joe, could you shut the office up for me before you go home this evening?" and Joe completely forgot to update the website.

Darth Vile

Mickiana said:
Maybe everyone at Lucasfilm is too busy working on the very secret Indy5 and have been too busy to update the filmography on their website? It does seem remiss of whomever is responsible for this oversight. Maybe that person was told to "shut up and go home", as in "Joe, could you shut the office up for me before you go home this evening?" and Joe completely forgot to update the website.

Websites such at the 'Star Wars' and 'Indy' one are economic ventures. There is no money in it at the moment, so the official Indy website remains static and outdated. The next update on there will either be around Indy V, or more probably, the original three movies being released on Blu Ray. I would imagine there'll be enough money in the Blu Ray releases for lucasasfilm to justify the cost of updates to the site. :)

Exulted Unicron

What I noticed about alot of critics, is they don't get the idea behind KOTCS. The first 3 movies were based around adventure movies. KOTCS is based around the 50s B-Movies. I find the idea to be interesting, rather than be based around a reglious artifact. The idea of ancient astronauts is a theory thats baffled people since the 40s and infact, there were many books on the subject written in the 50s and 60s on the subject.

I, for one, loved the movie. There were some great Indy moments in it and I don't get all hung up on the monkeys and the nuked fridges. Its an Indy movie, with them, you HAVE to supsend your disbelief.

avidfilmbuff

Just forget about the Crystal Skull hatred. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

However, the only thing that really annoys me, is the hyperbole that some people use to express their hatred for the film.

I'd rather jump naked on a huge pile of thumbtacks, or stick my nostrils together with crazy glue. I'd rather dive into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades than watch that movie.

OmegaSeamaster

As much as I hate Crystal Skull, I'm inclined to think that the only reason they aren't showing it as a part of this feast is that it's hard enough to serve 6 courses over the length of 3 films, never mind a fourth one!

Dewy9

It doesn't make me mad, but it gets a little tired when every news article out there has to interject their thoughts about the recent SW/Indy films.

What's the statue of limitations on all this? Whenever I read something about King Kong ('33), I don't hear them talk about Son of Kong (also '33) and stick in their thoughts on it.

Montana Smith

Dewy9 said:
It doesn't make me mad, but it gets a little tired when every news article out there has to interject their thoughts about the recent SW/Indy films.

What's the statue of limitations on all this? Whenever I read something about King Kong ('33), I don't hear them talk about Son of Kong (also '33) and stick in their thoughts on it.

It doesn't really matter even if you're the only one in the world who likes something. The fact remains that the film still exists for you to enjoy, let the haters work themselves up in hate if they want to. The film exists, and we have to understand that as an audience we don't own Indiana Jones, we have no claim to him, but are passive observers in the creative process, unless we're lucky enough to be involved in the creation.

There are parts of KOTCS that I don't like. Just as I don't like most of The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, yet I have to accept that they are a legitimate part of Star Wars chronology. I just focus on the original trilogy instead, just like KOTCS haters will focus on the Indy original trilogy.

If Indy lived for a hundred years, you don't have to be interested in every single year of his life. Some of his years might have been pretty dull or uninspiring. For the haters of KOTCS 1957 would be one of those uninspiring years that they'd rather gloss over.

There's no real point trying to make people like something that seems so utterly unlikable to them, and the media revels in controversy and negativity, so it's easier for them to praise the classic trilogy at the expense of the new kid on the block. That still doesn't prevent you from continuing to enjoy the fourth outing. The Indy movies aren't just simple adventure stories, but have their inspiration in past cultures, which you have to get to understand why they all have outrageous moments. They're stylish rather than realistic.

AlivePoet

avidfilmbuff said:
However, the only thing that really annoys me, is the hyperbole that some people use to express their hatred for the film.

ResidentAlien said:
I'd rather jump naked on a huge pile of thumbtacks, or stick my nostrils together with crazy glue. I'd rather dive into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades than watch that movie.

Follow-up of the day! :D

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
There are parts of KOTCS that I don't like. Just as I don't like most of The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones, yet I have to accept that they are a legitimate part of Star Wars chronology. I just focus on the original trilogy instead, just like KOTCS haters will focus on the Indy original trilogy.

No PT bashing please... My avatar will get upset. :) :D ;)

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
No PT bashing please... My avatar will get upset. :) :D ;)

You see, each to their own. Just as it should be! :hat:

Otherwise we might as well all be clones. ;)

(And keep your avatar on a shorter leash, looks likes he bites!)