Indiana Jones Game Rather Than 5th Installment?

Jonesy9906753

Like Ghostbusters before them, i get a feeling that a solid Indiana Jones game would be interesting,rather than a fifth film.and it would give the fans a little more of what they deserve.the reason i mention Ghostbusters for those who dont know.is because they made a sequel to Ghostbusters II as a game rather than a film (though i do know Ramis,Reitman & Aykroyd are trying to make III happen) and the game was quite a success.the actors were much older,but the way they did the game you would never have known,i feel like they preserved the age of the characters and thats something that intrigues me,something that would be interesting for a character like Indiana Jones

But Is It Too Late?
...Would Ford,Steven Or George Ever Get On Board?
...Would The Budget Be Too High Out Of The Stratosphere?
Let The Great Debate Begin!

HenryJunior

Ooh I like this idea! To make this work it would need a lot of help from individuals who worked on the films. Spielberg writing and influencing the look of the game, Ford voice acting (which might be tough to do but could work) and some original pieces by John Williams would be fantastic. This could be a full blown prequel taking place in the 40's not long after LC, or (like you said) something that can develop a new movie like Dan Aykroyd is trying to do with the Ghost Busters Franchise.

Again it would take a lot of effort, time, and money :p .

Marshall2288

I don't see Ford or even John Williams doing any work on it but I would love a pre ToD game or even a post LC game. Indy really needs some presence on the 360 and PS3 that non-LEGO related. My 6 year old brother in law has no idea that Indy was something other than a LEGO dude!!! I know the "Uncharted" thing has been worn out with the Indy crowd but non the less, an Uncharted type game with puzzles and great story would be amazing.

Marshall2288

No doubt that would be fantastic. And if Lucasarts wanted to throw out enough $$$ then it would certainly happen. An open world Indy game would be sweet to. Along the styles of Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption. Obviously have a main story arc but have it where you can travel to different places and do side missions to get different artifacts. Hey, it worked for the 2 Godfather games.

No Ticket

The new Star Wars: 1313 trailers are all you need to see to realize that this would not only be a good idea but probably give us a more "true" sequel to the IJ franchise than any movie could. We could have "Ford" in his youth and the experience would last much longer than just 2 hours. Just look at how good the new SW game is.

http://www.starwars.com/news/1313_announce.html

ILM was involved in that and it all plays in real-time. If they can do that with Star Wars they can also do it with Indiana Jones. I guess... Dream on. :p

Marshall2288

No gonna lie, I'm pretty pumped for 1313. You make a valid point. I don't know why they can't just knock out an amazing Indy game. Surely there is a market for it? I know it's strange to ask that question in this forum but seriously...there has to be a market for it!

Stoo

Jonesy9906753 said:
i get a feeling that a solid Indiana Jones game would be interesting,rather than a fifth film.and it would give the fans a little more of what they deserve.
Man, this thread should have a poll attached to it.

Personally, I would rather have a 5th film because I don't own a gaming console and rarely play the few computer games that I do have. When "Staff of Kings" was released, I felt left out from all the fun because there is no format to play it on the computer. I'd feel the same way if a new game was made just for consoles. (Though, if I get REALLY starving for more Indy, I may just cave in and buy a Wii for the sole purpose of playing "Staff of Kings".) Even if I do eventually get a gaming console, I'd still prefer a 5th film.

Any fan can see a movie but not every fan can play a video game.

Jonesy9906753

Stoo said:

Personally, I would rather have a 5th film because I don't own a gaming console and rarely play the few computer games that I do have. When "Staff of Kings" was released, I felt left out from all the fun because there is no format to play it on the computer. I'd feel the same way if a new game was made just for consoles. (Though, if I get REALLY starving for more Indy, I may just cave in and buy a Wii for the sole purpose of playing "Staff of Kings".) Even if I do eventually get a gaming console, I'd still prefer a 5th film.

That Game had so much potential at first!

Marshall2288

Stoo said:
Thats a good point, Stoo. I guess I would rather a game because it would provide 10+ hours of Indy story line that 2 hours.

Forbidden Eye

Yeah, I've been thinking gaming(and graphic novels) are the only possibilities open for this franchise in the immediate future. Ghostbusters 3, as you mention, turned out pretty good(still haven't played Staff of Kings :eek: ) and a game could explore the story lines the movies would have trouble exploring at this point (maybe they can have ones set in WWII).

I'm pretty sure Harrison Ford won't bother though. He didn't provide the voice for Indy on the Forbidden Eye attraction so I doubt he has much interest beyond actually playing Indy on film.

Jonesy9906753

Forbidden Eye said:
Yeah, I've been thinking gaming(and graphic novels) are the only possibilities open for this franchise in the immediate future. Ghostbusters 3, as you mention, turned out pretty good(still haven't played Staff of Kings :eek: ) and a game could explore the story lines the movies would have trouble exploring at this point (maybe they can have ones set in WWII).

I'm pretty sure Harrison Ford won't bother though. He didn't provide the voice for Indy on the Forbidden Eye attraction so I doubt he has much interest beyond actually playing Indy on film.

Who Knows,maybe Harrison will learn to embrace the idea of an indy game if this ever gets off the ground!
he has said it would be a pleasure to play the role of Indy.but he didnt say in what capacity :)

This video is a prime example of maybe,just maybe if he felt the story was solid and the technology of the game was utilized correctly.
im sure he might be interested!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CVlViaNxAOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HenryJunior said:
Again it would take a lot of effort, time, and money :p .

Something That Lucas and Co. Have Plenty Of!

Marshall2288 said:
Thats a good point, Stoo. I guess I would rather a game because it would provide 10+ hours of Indy story line that 2 hours.
Imagine all the characters from the Indy archives that could be used!

Last edited:

No Ticket

Stoo said:

That's really limited to whether or not they're open to playing a video game. Anyone can play a video game.

The KIND of game I'm talking about, an Indy game akin to 1313, would never make it on the Wii. That's not a powerful enough console. But there's definitely going to be even more impressive things video games are capable of in the next generation (starting around fall 2013) that will make them basically like playing a movie. They are already capable of nearly cinematic experiences on 360 and PS3.

Montana Smith

replican't said:
If I can get to punch women in the face repeatedly, I'm sold.

Sounds like Fallout 3 would have been your cup of tea. :gun:

For that matter an Indiana Jones Fallout 3 style game could provide over 200 hours of entertainment once you had all the DLCs and a stack of fan-made mods attached to it.

Grizzlor

Well, I think LucasArts have made a mess of Star Wars gaming. There's just too many games, over too many time periods. Very confusing.

1313 actually sounds like the plot for Lucas's failed live action TV show.

Montana Smith

Grizzlor said:
1313 actually sounds like the plot for Lucas's failed live action TV show.

I just checked this out - and I'm reading "third person". To me that's generally a waste of a game. First person is the only way I can get into a game and really experience its world. Like the good old Dark Forces and Jedi Knight series.

Sandbox style in first person is even better. There's a thread around here somewhere on the subject of an Indy sandbox game.

Stoo

Marshall2288 said:
Marshall, while I'm no expert on video games these days, wouldn't that be 10+ hours of 'gameplay' on the first go rather than actual story? Once a player learns how to get through each level, the next time around it won't take as long, therefore, the story becomes shorter with each replay.

Does anyone know how long it takes to run/walk through "Infernal Machine", "Emperor's Tomb" or "Staff of Kings" once you know exactly what to do? Is it possible to finish either of those games in the span of about 2 hours?:confused:
No Ticket said:
That's really limited to whether or not they're open to playing a video game. Anyone can play a video game.

The KIND of game I'm talking about, an Indy game akin to 1313, would never make it on the Wii. That's not a powerful enough console. But there's definitely going to be even more impressive things video games are capable of in the next generation (starting around fall 2013) that will make them basically like playing a movie. They are already capable of nearly cinematic experiences on 360 and PS3.
Hi, No Ticket. Not "anyone" can play a video game. As I wrote above, I want to play "Staff of Kings" but cannot because it wasn't made for computers. To play this imaginary, new Indy video game, a person would need the appropriate console & a TV (or a computer with proper system requirements) plus the game itself. (Some people don't even own a television.) To see a movie, all a person needs is about $15 or less and a way to the theatre...or wait for it to be shown on TV.

Re. the Wii not being powerful enough: So Wii owners will have to buy another system just to play this new "Star Wars" game?(n) This raises another issue as to why it would be better to have a new Indy movie instead of a game.

Video games have a limited lifetime. Computer-based games eventually become incompatible & unplayable (although some can be made to work with a lot of research and futzing around). Console-wise, you need to keep all of your old, outdated units (which I consider junk eating up space. Got rid of my Atari 2600 and Atari 400 years ago).

Meanwhile, films as popular as Indiana Jones will ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE to see with little or no effort at all!(y)
Montana Smiff said:
I just checked this out - and I'm reading "third person". To me that's generally a waste of a game. First person is the only way I can get into a game and really experience its world.
Smiffy, I agree that first-person-point-of-view is very immersive but for a new Indy adventure, I want to WATCH my hero do his thing and not look out of his eyes. In a third-person-perspective, the player is essentially looking at the back of the character's head & body most of the time*. This is another reason why I'd prefer a 5th film over a game. I want to see Indy's face.

*This may not be the case anymore so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

---
When Jonesy9906753 wrote "it would give the fans a little more of what they deserve", he might have been assuming that all Indy fans are video gamers. Here at The Raven, it's obvious that many are but Ravenheads who post are only a miniscule percentage of people who like Dr. Jones. Out of the MILLIONS of folks who went to see "Cyrstal Skull" - from kids to seniors - I'd venture to guess that the overwhelming majority would probably prefer a movie over a game.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Smiffy, I agree that first-person-point-of-view is very immersive but for a new Indy adventure, I want to WATCH my hero do his thing and not look out of his eyes. In a third-person-perspective, the player is essentially looking at the back of the character's head & body most of the time*. This is another reason why I'd prefer a 5th film over a game. I want to see Indy's face.

That's the joy of something like Fallout 3. You can choose either 1st or 3rd person during gameplay.

And even when playing in the 1st, you can go into an 'action mode' where time stops, you choose your targets (including the body part of the target in question), and you sit back and watch the results in glorious slow-motion and from multiple camera angles.

It provides some very cinematic (and gruesome!) sequences.

There are different ways to play the game, and how you play dictates how it unfolds. There are options to avoid violence, or to provoke it. Talking to non-player characters can open up major and minor news quests, or even the option to recruit companions. Going anywhere on a huge map by any means possible gives a real thrill of exploration the first time you play, and as time passes through day into night, there are more options for covert action.

I think it would be the perfect way to go for an Indy game.