Tarantino

Dr. Gonzo

TheMutt92 said:
Is it worth watching the whole thing, or just looking up his short online?

Well that really depends on you. Since its a big part of my job I watch as many films as I can, even if I can't stand it I'll watch a film I haven't seen before all the way through.
The first part of the four was forgettable, it is about a coven of witches, the only thing even mentionable about it was Madonna is in it wearing a black skin tight latex dress. The second story should probably be watched because the female character in it shows up in the 4th part (Tarantino's) just so you know the bell hop and the woman's history. The third one was Robert Rodriguez's and it plays like one of his films, there are two kids and their parents the parents go out because its new years eve and they ask the bell hop to check in on the kids every 30 min. The kids of course cause trouble and (without ruining everything) there you have it. Then there is the last, Tarantino's "The Man From Hollywood", easily the best one out of the bunch. Bruce Willis makes an uncredited cameo. I won't ruin it for you.

So I would say if you're into film watch the whole thing. If you are short on time, watch the 2nd and 4th as they are the only stories that are related.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
I won't ruin it for you.

I will
a block of wood, a doughnut, a ball of twine, three nails, a club sandwich, a bucket of ice, and an extremely sharp hatchet
and very Hitchcockian, which parallels another thread around here somewhere.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
I will
a block of wood, a doughnut, a ball of twine, three nails, a club sandwich, a bucket of ice, and an extremely sharp hatchet
and very Hitchcockian, which parallels another thread around here somewhere.
Yes.
if we want to get even more specific a "hatchet as sharp as the devil himself"

TheMutt92

Tarantino returns to acting (and in a western too!):

http://www.slashfilm.com/quentin-tarantino-western-angel-brute-wise/

When the news first broke about Quentin Tarantino‘s new movie, there was some confusion as to the real nature of the project. We first heard the movie was called The Angel, the Brute and the Wise, and that classic spaghetti western star Franco Nero would be involved. That confusion continued when we learned that QT’s new film is actually called Django Unchained, as Django is the name of Franco Nero’s best-known set of films.

But there is a QT-Franco Nero film, and it is something altogether different from Django Unchained. It is a western, and it is called The Angel, the Brute and the Wise. But the presumed roles of the two men are, in fact, reversed: Franco Nero is directing the movie as an homage to John Huston (no, not John Ford) and Sergio Leone, and he has convinced Quentin Tarantino to play a part.

“I said ‘Quentin, we are going to do a western. It would be an homage to Sergio Leone and John Huston, the director that discovered me, and would you be so kind to play a cameo?’ And he said, ‘Oh yeah! What do I have to do?’ I said, actually there are three bandits, and I have to kill them all, and he said, ‘oh, great, so I can come with Robert Rodriguez and my friends to play them.’ I said, yeah! That would be great! He said, ‘But how are you going to kill me?’ I said, I’ll tell you—with a shotgun, and inside, instead of having bullets, it will be gold coins. He said, ‘I love it!’”

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Yep, it sounds like The Good, The Bad and the Ugly Part II, with a huge dose of irony.

But why an homage to John Huston/SergioLeone? Stylistically John Ford/Sergio Leone would be more understandable.

Though Huston directed Man in the Wilderness in Spain, I think of him more for The Man Who Would Be King.

Maybe this comes into it:

The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-thumb-560xauto-26334.gif

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Maybe this comes into it:

The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-thumb-560xauto-26334.gif

Maybe. It is Mexico.

But it's also 1925. Even further down the road from Duck, You Sucker!

I've always thought it was more film noir than western, so that could be where this one is going.

Joe Brody

Say "What" again!

I saw this in the Journal today and it gave me a good chuckle. I've said many times that America's most important export is its culture. I'm sure the Holy men that green-lit this attack are loving this image.

7d161ea8102e71561851d6a2765ac9c5.jpg

http://gawker.com/5863375/iranian-students-take-pulp-fiction-poster-hostage-in-assault-on-british-embassy

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/what-was-a-pulp-fiction-print-doing-in-the-british-embassy-in-iran/article2255053/

Classic. And of course the Brits have to give this serious political/post modern analysis as to how the photo came to be in the embassy. Odds are it belonged to a Marine quartered in the building or to some guy in IT.

Last edited:

Stoo

Joe Brody said:
I've said many times that America's most important export is its culture. I'm sure the Holy men that green-lit this attack are loving this image.
---
Classic. And of course the Brits have to give this serious political/post modern analysis as to how the photo came to be in the embassy. Odds are it belonged to a Marine quartered in the building or to some guy in IT.
Whoop-dee-f*cking-doo!:rolleyes:

@The "Brits": Give your 'serious political/post modern analysis' NOW! Joe Brody wants to know!:whip:
---
On topic: I like "Reservoir Dogs".

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
@The "Brits": Give your 'serious political/post modern analysis' NOW! Joe Brody wants to know!:whip:

The key to post-modernism is that nothing needs to make sense in the way you expect it to.

It's all about being detached, which is exactly how I feel in relation to The Raven right now.

---

On topic: I don't like the bit in "Reservoir Dogs" when he cuts the ear off.

Montana Smith

There's no Kill Bill Vol. 1/Vol. 2 thread on The Raven, despite it being the most Indiana Jones of Tarantino's Grindhouse movies.

Okay that's a stretch, but for much of the films Beatrix Kiddo is the woman with no name. Hanzo calls her the "yellow-haired warrior", in recognition of Eastwood's 'Blondie'. And we know that at an early stage Indy was partially inspired by that character.

Indy's single-minded purpose, mercenary nature, fortune-seeking, disregard of human life and hunger for revenge were ideas played with by Lucas to varying extents throughout his four films. Yet they were always tempered by a self-imposed code of conduct. Maybe not utterly moral, but higher than that of his rivals.

And here we have Beatrix Kiddo/The Bride, codename Black Mamba.

Watching Raiders of the Lost Ark is like watching a near-perfect adventure film. I say "near-perfect" as it's best not to speak in absolutes, but Raiders has such great characters, scenes, situations, dialogue and music.

And when I watch Kill Bill it's like watching a near-perfect fusion film. It has all the positives I ascribe to Raiders, plus some others: Grindhouse, Spaghetti Western, Japanese influence, 1970s Kung-fu films, Bruce Lee's Game of Death, and Pai Mei and Earl McGraw who link these films to a wider fictional universe of films (i.e. those from Shaw Brothers, and Tarantino and Rodriguez' own Planet Terror, Death Proof and From Dusk Till Dawn). By association, and some twisted sense of reality, there are vampires in Beatrix' world. (Just as there are in Indy's, if you believe the one-eyed man!)

And to bind it all together Kill Bill is the best of comic book melodrama set in a world that isn't quite our own. A simple tale of bold motives told extremely well. Which brings me back to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Tarantino tells his tale in non-linear time. We see first the bold strokes of character in Vol. 1, and in Vol. 2 we see the events that made them so conflicted.

With that in mind, the story of Indiana Jones could be expressed as Raiders of the Lost Ark (Vol. 1) and The Temple of Doom (Vol. 2).

In October 2009 Tarantino expressed his intentions to make Vol. 3:

Director Quentin Tarantino reveals Kill Bill 3 plans for 2014

American director Quentin Tarantino revealed his intention to film Kill Bill Vol.3 for a 2014 release on the Italian talk show Parla Con Me. Starring American actress Uma Thurman, Kill Bill Vol.1 and Kill Bill Vol.2 were released in 2003 and 2004, earning a total of over $332 million worldwide. Tarantino announced that he preferred a 10-year break to take place between Vol.2 and the proposed Vol.3, to allow the lead character time to "have a break." Tarantino has alluded to Kill Bill Vol.3 in the past, hinting that the storyline may center around the revenge of Nikki Green, the four-year-old daughter of assassin Copperhead (American actress Vivica A. Fox), who is witness to her mother's murder in the first Kill Bill.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...or-2014-release-movie-news-recap-1796842.html

I look forward to his near-perfect version of The Last Crusade (Vol. 3). ;)

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
The Hateful 8 screenplay is really good. It's really too bad that one won't get made now.

It's actually on my "to read this evening" agenda...

I already peeked at the first couple pages and the five or six times he tells the reader "in 70mm SUPER CINEMASCOPE FRAME"...

could have been interesting.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
It's actually on my "to read this evening" agenda...

I already peeked at the first couple pages and the five or six times he tells the reader "in 70mm SUPER CINEMASCOPE FRAME"...

could have been interesting.

I'm glad you have it too. Let's compare readings this week.

Joe Brody

Oh, to be far from Tinseltown. Thanks Guys, I would have missed this completely if not for you. I love the Please-name-names line.

Would it beyond QT to put out three versions and see who leaked just to figure out who to axe? I love how he's shelving the project.

Gotta admit, I have no desire for a Western. Got my fill with Django and Kill Bill.

I'd like to see QT do something up to the moment. Say something with Insane Clown Posse types ("we are not a gang"), home brewers, (picking a random group based on a New York Times article I read today) Mormons, Rooney and Kate Mara, and Samuel L. Jackson. On second thought, maybe I'll hammer this out myself.

Pale Horse

Staff member
For Shame, for shame. I wish I had access to a corporate printer. I hate reading things like this on line.

I'll be back...