Uncharted: The Games

Le Saboteur

Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Uncharted is free at last!

Well, not entirely free. You still need to pay for the single-player campaign, but the multiplayer component can now be played free of charge! So, if you haven't bothered with the series yet, here's your chance to whet your appetite.

From the PlayStation Blog:

PlayStation Blog said:
Once you download the Free-to-Play game from the PS Store you can hop online and play for as long as you want, as much as you want, up to Level 15. Upon reaching Level 15, you?re welcome to continue to play as long as you want without paying a penny more. We?ll continue to track your earned experience points as you play, although you won?t be able to unlock or access them. However should you choose to unlock the level cap, we?ll retroactively apply those achievements to your profile and we?ll continue to allow you to build up your profile right from where the Level 15 cap stops you. Although if you choose not unlock the level cap or purchase anything you?ll be missing out on a slew of cool in-game items and downloadable content we have made for the game to date. Here?s a rundown of what you can unlock:

That blurb was followed by this image

8498105017_28a0e61f11_z.jpg

You can read the full post on the PlayStation Blog here, or at Naughty Dog's official blog.

Trailer!

And with Sony executives explicitly stating that every single first-party studio is working on PS4 exclusives, can an Uncharted 4 announcement be that far behind? Given the increasing popularity of the series, a launch day title would move several million systems. If not launch day, then shortly afterwards. It would be keeping with the roughly every two year cycle that the series has been adhering to.

I would wager that the fourth outing has been in development since before the third was released. Naughty Dog has to have been one of the first studios to have a dev kit.

Gannador!

Le Saboteur

The Drifter said:
Far flung rumour concerning the fourth Uncharted's announcement/release?

As far-flung as a Rule 63 Nathan Drake?!

Jessica_Nigri_Uncharted_1.jpg

Massive!

While I highly doubt a reference to Drake's fourth outing would be so obviously placed, it is intriguing. I've recently offered up the hypothesis -- this version of the world is the result of one of Drake's enemies getting their hands on their ultimate goal. Two of the Macguffins in the series were essentially biological weapons, and there's something about the zombie-like creatures that fits in with biological mutation.

This could, of course, have been explained already, but I've avoided every single bit of information after the original announcement trailer. I'm going into this game cold.

The Drifter

Le Saboteur said:
As far-flung as a Rule 63 Nathan Drake?!

While I highly doubt a reference to Drake's fourth outing would be so obviously placed, it is intriguing. I've recently offered up the hypothesis -- this version of the world is the result of one of Drake's enemies getting their hands on their ultimate goal. Two of the Macguffins in the series were essentially biological weapons, and there's something about the zombie-like creatures that fits in with biological mutation.

This could, of course, have been explained already, but I've avoided every single bit of information after the original announcement trailer. I'm going into this game cold.

I like that theory, Le Saboteur. What year is The Last of Us supposed to be taking place in? I'm going in cold also, and trying to keep away from a lot of information about it. I read and watched way too much stuff on Uncharted 3 before it's release, and it kinda dampered any surprises that I might've had.

I do know that Naughty Dog teased The Last of Us in Uncharted 3's very first chapter. So, maybe something could be going on? Who knows.

trentprager

Update! Film Is Done!

THE FINAL UPDATE, THE FILM IS LIVE NOW!!!!

Hope you like it!! I know, it's been WWWAAAAYYYY too long since we started (roughly 2 years ago!!!), but it's finally out and ready for your viewing pleasure. You can also check out the Facebook fan page for it, at the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uncha...77575102297546

Again, thank you all for your interest and support during this process. I know most of you (if not all) forgot about this fan film, but I hope it lives up to your expectations! Pass the link around, leave comments, likes, etc.

Thanks again, and happy watching!!!:whip: :whip: :whip:

Finn

Staff member
Could use more plot, less random shooting and running around. But such is the case with most fan films (and arguably the game it's based on as well), so...

Though what it could really do with is a bit of additional sound editing. I had some serious trouble making out about half the lines.

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
How did we manage to fall back to the second page? Unacceptable!

I know! It's inconceivable! It's kind of sad, too. Nearly three months after the last post, and it's only fallen this far, kinda shows you how dead this place is.

So, in recent months Drake's Deception has become something of a test kitchen for Sony. First, you were able to download the multi-player client as a free-to-play experience. Now, in honor of the game's second anniversary, Naughty Dog (& Sony) are giving all of the previous DLC map packs away for free. Yes, gratis! They're even releasing 'Dry Docks' after all this time!

Not a bad deal if your bandwidth can handle it. If you find the next generation's launch lineup underwhelming, now is a great time to partake in perhaps the greatest series of the past generation.

uncharted3desert610.jpg

Now it's only a matter of time before the fourth Uncharted is announced. Early money suggests this year's VGA telecast. That would give the game an approximate three-year development cycle and Sony a guaranteed system seller for the 2014 holiday shopping binge.

I'm hedging my bets and predicting a 2015 release date.

Also, there a bunch of updates for under the hood stuff if you're so inclined:

Naughty Dog said:
Maps

All DLC maps are now available to download for free! Go to the in-game store and download the Flashback Map Pack 1, 2, and Drake's Deception Map Pack.
Dry Docks makes its triumphant debut and is available in all competitive playlists and custom games!

Co-op

Old Quarter map has been added to Co-op arena mode.
The drop rate for all co-op treasures has been increased.
Old Quarter has been removed from the Hunter Arena playlist.

Weapons

Hipfire accuracy has been greatly reduced on all weapons, along with the angle and distance at which the auto lock engages. But Blindfire from cover has not been changed.
Increased recoil on the M9.
Decreased recoil on FAL-SS.
Rate of Fire mod has been decreased on the M9, Arm Micro, and KAL-7.
The recoil of the last round fired in a G-MAL burst has been significantly reduced.
The burst delay and recoil have been reduced on the Raffica.
The accuracy mod on the Raffica has been slightly improved.
The recoil has been reduced on the Tau Sniper and the weapon does not automatically scope.
The rate of fire mod has increased effectiveness for the Tau Sniper.

Gameplay

Sprint maneuverability moderately reduced.
Mega Bombs and Cluster Bombs can no longer be thrown back (competitive mode only).
The Marked Man power play now occurs when a team is up 8 kills instead of 6.
The Exposed power play occurs when a team is up 10 kills instead of 8, and the range that player names appear has been reduced from 40 meters to 20.
The Double Damage power play now occurs when a team is up 15 kills instead of 10, and the damage the losing team does is only x1.5 instead of x2.
Deathmatch has been removed from Team Objective.
Increase score limit in three-team Deathmatch from 20 to 25.
Increase score limit of free-for-all from 15 to 20.
Multiple steps have been added during the matchmaking process to help find games with lower ping. Wait times to find matches during off peak hours may increase.

Medal Kickbacks

The Medal Kickback Creepy Crawler now costs 12 medals and lasts for 25 seconds.
Quick Boom now costs 12 medals and lasts for 12 seconds.
Explosives now costs 5 medals.

Boosters

Slot 1 now has Kickback Endurance, Ammo Award, Bargain, and Team Safe
Slot 2 now has Beast Mode, Regeneration, Explosive Expert, and Explosive Shell Expert.
Bargain paid booster cost increase from $100k to $250k.
PING paid booster cost increase from $100k to $250k.

New 3rd Buddy Boosters

Cutter - Cutter KAL-7 - Jade Para 9 - Sugar Buddy
Eddie - Eddie's AK - Jade Para 9 - Booty Buddy
Draza - Draza's Dragon - jade Para 9 - Thanks Buddy
Flynn - Flynn's G-MAL - Jade Para 9 - Explosive Buddy
Lazarevic - Lazarevic's FAL-SS - Jade Para 9 - Stealth Buddy

Map Adjustments

Gate added to London Underground tunnel to block off dead end.
Plunders chests have been rebalanced on Syria and Museum.

Full post is available here.

The Drifter

Yes, I also think that we'll see Uncharted 4 announced at the VGA. They announced part 2 and 3 on that program, if I recall correctly.

The Drifter

Hmmmm a smattering of rumors saying that Uncharted 4 may be announced November 14th during Sony's Playstation 4 Launch Event.
Link here.

Le Saboteur

The Drifter said:
Hmmmm a smattering of rumors saying that Uncharted 4 may be announced November 14th during Sony's Playstation 4 Launch Event.
Link here.

That's a horrible source. It ranks right up there with The Jakarta Post.

That said, the only thing I'd take seriously from that blurb is that Naughty Dog won't be making a game set in outer space any time soon. Could the fourth Uncharted be announced during a launch event? Absolutely. It's a huge release, a system-mover and should be able to tread water with all the other news flying around in that two-week period between the PS4 and the X-Bone's launch. Plus, Thanksgiving.

If it gets announced at all this year, the VGA's make the most sense. They have a national platform, with all of the attention on them.

Where goest thou, Drake?

uncharted_2.jpg

The Drifter

I never claimed that the source was trustworthy. I never heard of them, I take it that you have? And I take things like that with a grain of salt, but it's fun reading them nonetheless.There's a few more websites reporting the rumor as well.
While announcing the game during the VGA makes sense, I do think Sony may just do it November 14th, because as is noted - it's a system-seller.

The Drifter

Le Saboteur said:
Well, well, well. Look who called it! Thumbs up, Drifter!

This is awesome. My favorite series by far! I can't wait to see more.
And you beat me to posting the video by a frog's hair! :D

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
Boo! That trailer was pathetic! It showed us nothing! What a rip-off!

I know you're joking, but it tells us a few important things:

1.) Naughty Dog is taking us to Africa. Sub-Saharan Africa to be specific.
2.) Madagascar is going to feature, with some undersea exploration.
3.)The Latin inscription: "Today You Will be With Me in Paradise."
4.) The map mentions "the Sonquas," a coastal African tribe that Stoo might know more about.
5.) That map is in Portuguese if I'm not mistaken.
6.) Vasco de Gama dubbbed South Africa "Terra de Natal," or "Land of Nativity"

Should I go on?

S. Dakota Jones

I've been an xbox only type because there were not enough reasons(re: money), for me to buy both systems...but with the advent of the newer consoles and because I really, really, want to play these games, I've finally gotten onboard with getting a PS3 just so I can play the Uncharted series(and Last of Us).

I've stayed pretty spoiler free but I can't wait to play and join in on the talk:whip:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Big year for pirate sequels, I guess. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Of course, Sir Francis Drake is pretty well-embedded in the series up to now.

Here are some other musings on what the trailer might mean, leaning rather more heavily on the Drake angle than Le Sab does above.

Someone in the comments there wonders if they're going to do Atlantis now, but there's no real reason to think that. Now, some version of the Lemuria concept could fit right in with Madagascar as a locale.

Getting into some sub-Saharan history culture would be deeply exciting, as that doesn't seem to happen much in games or, y'know, anywhere in pop culture.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
I know you're joking, but it tells us a few important things:

1.) Naughty Dog is taking us to Africa. Sub-Saharan Africa to be specific.
2.) Madagascar is going to feature, with some undersea exploration.
3.)The Latin inscription: "Today You Will be With Me in Paradise."
4.) The map mentions "the Sonquas," a coastal African tribe that Stoo might know more about.
5.) That map is in Portuguese if I'm not mistaken.
6.) Vasco de Gama dubbbed South Africa "Terra de Natal," or "Land of Nativity"

Should I go on?

I only watched it once, in my defense. You have much better eagle eyes than I, Saboteur.

I almost think Atlantis, while pretty much the favorite for this sort of thing, would be too "obvious" for this series. I liked how the previous ones explored some legends I wasn't too familiar with, and it added to the thrill of the games.

Also, I'll admit, I'm a tad disappointed that Naughty Dog is making another one. I absolutely loved Drake's Deception, and I think it works perfectly as a really touching ending to the series. I was all enjoying the thought of Nate and Elena settling down in Zanzibar or something, raising a couple tykes, with Sully the disgruntled baby-sitter, but then this was announced! My fantasy is ruined...:p

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Attila the Professor said:
Getting into some sub-Saharan history culture would be deeply exciting, as that doesn't seem to happen much in games or, y'know, anywhere in pop culture.
South African history discussion? Oh, goodie!(y)

The SonQua were from the area north of modern-day Cape Town on the South African west coast. Being hunter & gatherer types, they were the original "bushmen of Africa", as called by the Europeans. They were also known by other names but they fell under the general description of, "Hottentots" (the outdated term once used for referring to any native tribes of that area). When Vasco de Gama showed up in the late 1400s, these people attacked his ship and the crew shot at them with crossbows. As far as I know, the SonQua tribes died out and are now extinct.

Whoever decided to include the SonQua in this game did some good research because, historically, they are/were pretty obscure in the grand scheme of the colonial era.

I've never played an "Uncharted" video game but am intrigued by the series. Hope this info helps to add a little more depth for those who do play the game.;)