Capt. America Indiana Jones Crossover Disney Reboot

Goodeknight

Speaking of Wolverine -- just rewatched X-Men 2, the one with the "Cure."

First time I watched it, I thought (spoiler alert), why did Wolverine kil Jean Grey at the end? Why didn't she just hang out with the kid who sapped powers? Or take the cure? Her death seemed needless. I wondered if the next day Logan would go, "Dang, I just thought of something..."

And when I just rewatched it, I wondered what would have happened to Logan if he got hit with a Cure bullet, or stood next to the power-sapper kid. The Cure wouldn't take away his adamantium skeleton, just his ability to heal. So would he just up and die with all that foreign metal in him? Would he still have the spikes? He'd probably die the first time they came out.

Just a few thoughts...

(still wondering where Stoo is....)

Gerry2001

Here's an interesting Marvel Comics cover. That's a sorcerer in the background. ;)

indy_marvel_cover.jpg

Montana Smith

Gerry2001 said:
Here's an interesting Marvel Comics cover. That's a sorcerer in the background. ;)

I have most of those comics in hard copy, and all of them on disc. The stories vary quite wildly in style from the very Indyesque to the more superhero oriented.

The cover of #33 looks like a mix of Indy, superhero and Conan.

When the stories diverted too far from the familiar they didn't seem right.

Stoo

Gerry2001 said:
Stooo, It's Gerry, yes me. I know you're in here somewhere, too bad we missed each other when you were in Kingston, next time!
Gerry! Got back to the Switz a week ago. Yeah, too bad about Kingston. While there, Anna bought me a Mac for my birthday. We were also up in St. Sauveur at a HUGE party for her sister-in-law. Sauveur still had snow but Montreal was clear. Went out with Shawn and BBQed a lot. Simon is now staying at our place for a couple of months, he just got back from Hong Kong & Dubai.

Wish I had been in Toronto 2 weeks ago. Prince Philip showing up to give the Royal Canadian Regiment their new flag, all decked out in scarlet tunics & spiked pith helmets. Saw in on TV. Did the parade go near your place? Had I known about it beforehand, I would've gone and we could've hung out! What a missed opportunity!:eek:

There is a "Beatles in Montreal" exhibit at the Pointe-à-Callière museum. I'll be back in July so come with Lynn and let's go check it out!(y)
kongisking said:
Probably shoulda Private Messaged Stoo, my friend. This thread is gonna be closed very soon, mark me words...
Gerry & I don't need Skype anymore now that we have The Raven!:D
Finn said:
Nah, let's keep it open. Simply to see if Stoo has the stones to chagrin his pal.
My pal & I both have the stones to tolerate humility but this is not one of those times. Even though this Cpt. America connection has been mentioned before, no thread has been dedicated to it so if you ever decide to close this one then you might as well close/combine all of the other "reboot" :)sick:) threads.
Gerry2001 said:
I really enjoyed the Capt. America film, watched it a few times and noticed what Red Skull says while holding the cube artifact, "Ze Fuhrer digs for trinkets in zee desert". Now that has got to be a reference to Raiders, wouldn't you say? Joe Johnson directed Capt. America and worked on Raiders so, more than a coincidence here. He would be great to direct a 5th one or a reboot, that is if Spielberg is not up to it. Since Disney acquired Marvel and Lucasfilm maybe they are planning to make some kind of Capt. America Indy crossover, ha. Far fetched but hey, you never know. What do you think?
As for your idea, Gerr, I would severely HATE any Disney crossover of Indy with Marvel superheroes (for so many reasons). The ONLY thing I could ever possibly accept would be an ambigiuous reference to a "Captain Rogers". Anything more than that would make me puke.

If the 2 characters DID appear in a film together, here's what I'd hope to see:

Indiana Jones: What's the deal, Steve?
Captain America: Shhh! I'm in disguise so don't use my real name. The deal about what?
Indiana Jones: Your clothes. They're...they're...
Captain America: They're what?
Indiana Jones: Well...you look like a fool. You're wearing red boots & feathers.
Captain America: So?
Indiana Jones: Look, who cares...just don't linger too close behind me. Stay out in front.
Gerry2001 said:
Joe Johnson directed Capt. America and worked on Raiders so, more than a coincidence here. He would be great to direct a 5th one or a reboot, that is if Spielberg is not up to it. Since Disney acquired Marvel and Lucasfilm maybe they are planning to make some kind of Capt. America Indy crossover, ha. Far fetched but hey, you never know. What do you think?
Funny that you bring up Joe. Gerry & I are both fans of Joe Johnston's technical illustrations and, even though I wouldn't like anyone other than Spielberg directing an Indy movie, I wouldn't be against Joe taking the reins.

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
My pal & I both have the stones to tolerate humility but this is not one of those times. Even though this Cpt. America connection has been mentioned before, no thread has been dedicated to it so if you ever decide to close this one then you might as well close/combine all of the other "reboot" () threads.
You know, I agree. This is a thread deserving self-existence. It may not have been as such at the time of its inception - so kong's criticisms were not completely baseless - but it has since developed into one. Thanks in large part to Monty's contributions.

This, of course, does leave the stones question hanging in the air - but eh, I don't think anyone in The Raven really cares. As long as Mrs. Stoo stays happy.

Indy Scout 117

hey hey everyone! man its been FOREVER since i last posted!! :D

read this thread and had to post since its about my 2 favorite historical heroes.

i think, first of all, that there shouldnt be another Indy film (sorry to say it). (n) its just that you cant replace Harrison as Indy. EVER. PERIOD. and if he would return, what could they do? i wouldnt want another Kingdom-like approach to the franchise. KotCS was alright, but i think that it lead the franchise downhill, even though it brought it back to life, so to speak. however, if they were to have Harrison Ford return as Indy, i dont think that he should be fighting Nazis. Soviets would be cool. but the problem with a Cap reference would be that he would be frozen in ice during the Cold War. It would be a cool Easter Egg to have a Cap reference in an Indy film, but it wouldnt work out, in my opinion.

and since i am a HUGE superhero fan, i have to correct Goodeknight. youre thinking of the third X-Men movie, The Last Stand. the second one was X2 X-Men United. sorry, i HAD to correct you lol :p

kongisking

Indy Scout 117 said:
hey hey everyone! man its been FOREVER since i last posted!! :D

read this thread and had to post since its about my 2 favorite historical heroes.

i think, first of all, that there shouldnt be another Indy film (sorry to say it). (n) its just that you cant replace Harrison as Indy. EVER. PERIOD. and if he would return, what could they do? i wouldnt want another Kingdom-like approach to the franchise. KotCS was alright, but i think that it lead the franchise downhill, even though it brought it back to life, so to speak. however, if they were to have Harrison Ford return as Indy, i dont think that he should be fighting Nazis. Soviets would be cool. but the problem with a Cap reference would be that he would be frozen in ice during the Cold War. It would be a cool Easter Egg to have a Cap reference in an Indy film, but it wouldnt work out, in my opinion.

and since i am a HUGE superhero fan, i have to correct Goodeknight. youre thinking of the third X-Men movie, The Last Stand. the second one was X2 X-Men United. sorry, i HAD to correct you lol :p

I understand that it's very difficult to imagine someone replacing our man Harrison, but the continued insistence that the character is completely impossible to recast continues to irk me. Folks who use this argument would have likely had the James Bond series end with Connery's retirement from the role, because, y'know, he perfectly explored every nook and cranny of such a fascinating, multi-layered character...:rolleyes:

But rude sarcasm aside, I'd be all for having Indiana Jones somehow retconned into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Then maybe the inter-dimensional beings from KOTCS wouldn't seem so bizarrely out-of-place to the more disgruntled fans, because, well, then it would be a universe that also has radioactive hulk monsters, powered armor suits, Norse gods, and giant alien serpent-ships...

Pale Horse

Staff member
kongisking said:
...but the continued insistence that the character is completely impossible to recast continues to irk me. Folks who use this argument would have likely had the James Bond series end with Connery's retirement from the role, because, y'know, he perfectly explored every nook and cranny of such a fascinating, multi-layered character...:rolleyes:

...FYI, these are the same folk that cheer the addition of Ford to The Expendables, to replace Church, oh the ironic hypocrisy...

But carry on, your point is well received.

Kai Hagen

Having Capt. America in an Indiana Jones crossover would be like having Metallica perform in the middle of André Rieu's concert. I prefer a different crossover.

Walecs

kongisking said:
I understand that it's very difficult to imagine someone replacing our man Harrison, but the continued insistence that the character is completely impossible to recast continues to irk me. Folks who use this argument would have likely had the James Bond series end with Connery's retirement from the role, because, y'know, he perfectly explored every nook and cranny of such a fascinating, multi-layered character...:rolleyes:

Except:

1. Connery played Bond in movie adaptations of Ian Fleming's books, meaning people had known Bond for years before they started associating him with Connery, whereas Harrison Ford has been Indiana Jones since the character's very first appearance.
2. Connery was not the first actor who portrayed Bond anyway.
3. George Lazenby stepped in the role 7 years after Connery's first Bond film, whereas by 2019 Ford will have been Indiana Jones for 38 years.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Walecs said:
Except:

1. Connery played Bond in movie adaptations of Ian Fleming's books, meaning people had known Bond for years before they started associating him with Connery, whereas Harrison Ford has been Indiana Jones since the character's very first appearance.
2. Connery was not the first actor who portrayed Bond anyway.
3. George Lazenby stepped in the role 7 years after Connery's first Bond film, whereas by 2019 Ford will have been Indiana Jones for 38 years.

That's the most concisely I've ever seen this contrast made. Well done.

That isn't to say that they shouldn't recast the character, though, just that the James Bond comparison doesn't work. After all, there's your unmentioned fourth point:

4. James Bond exists in a floating timeline, based on the age of whoever is portraying him, whereas Indy is tied, by both his canon and his conception, to a narrower time frame and years of greatest activity.

It also isn't to say that I'd like to see a crossover. Marvel can refer to Indy, if they want, but I don't care to see that be a two-way street.

JasonMa

Walecs said:
Except:
whereas Harrison Ford has been Indiana Jones since the character's very first appearance.
Except for the 4 other actors who have played Indiana Jones on screen...

Raiders90

JasonMa said:
Except for the 4 other actors who have played Indiana Jones on screen...

While I love the YIJC and River in LC, none of them exactly made a mark. To the general public, Ford is Indy and Indy is Ford. I don't think the general public would be into Indy sans Ford.

A better comparison to Indy would be Star Trek and Captain Kirk. Shatner portrayed Kirk for 28 years. It would not be for another 15 years after he departed the role that replacing him would be truly tried. I can't think that say if Star Trek: Academy, a prequel, had come out in 1996 it would have generated much buzz or box office. It would've been too soon.

Indy is tied to Ford and I do not believe a non-Ford Indy in 2021 or so will do what Disney wants. There is only so much you can do with this particular character to begin with.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
I don't think the general public would be into Indy sans Ford.
Indy is tied to Ford
There is only so much you can do with this particular character to begin with.
Statements like those clearly show that you care about the actor more than about the character, and project the same attitude onto others.

Disney will prove your prophecy spectacularly wrong.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Statements like those clearly show that you care about the actor more than about the character, and project the same attitude onto others.

Disney will prove your prophecy spectacularly wrong.

Unless you happen to be a bigger fan of the video games or the TV series than the movies, Ford and the character are intimately linked. I feel the series should have ended at LC anyway.

I think you're overestimating the market for an Indiana Jones film to begin with, Ford or no Ford. KOTCS only did as well as it did because of nostalgia and because people had waited so long for another film; because there was hype and demand for a new one.

There is no real mainstream demand now for a fifth Indy film due to KOTCS, much less one without Ford.

I believe that my prophecy will be proven right. Not many outside of these forums particularly want to see another Indy film to begin with. And without Ford, who, like it or not, defined the character, that box office will only go down further.

Indy is not like Star Wars. It is not universal. It's a series set in a very narrow window of time with very restrictive rules placed upon it. It has no existing fanbase to support it in the way Marvel does. It has no massive expanded universe or toy line to keep interest in it going during dormant periods the way Star Wars did. People aren't going to see a fifth film, much less a sixth sans Ford, simply because of the name brand. I think you are purposefully neglecting the damage done to the brand by KOTCS, and the fact that for all intents and purposes, the franchise has been dead since 2008. Between 1989 and 2008 you had video games, books, comics and what have you to fill the void and keep interest going. That's not happening now.

A final Ford film will only damage the brand further, and will in turn hurt box office returns for a sixth film. I predict that the fifth film will end up being subpar. Perhaps not as poor as KOTCS was, but it will not be pleasing. There is no appeal in it at this point. No one wants to see 77 year old Ford playing Indy. The hardcores who do want that don't want to see some kid hogging up half the film. It won't do as well as Disney hopes. This isn't The Force Awakens wherein people desperately wanted to see these characters again after 30 years.

Indy was a series which really should have ended on the big screen in 1989. These attempts since then to perform necromancy haven't gone well.

Z dweller

@Raiders112390

Katy Perry
You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes
You poured rivers of (virtual) ink defending KOTCS, and now you are saying that it permanently damaged the Indiana Jones brand.

You also told everyone who cared to listen that older Indy was just as interesting as Indy in his prime, and now you are saying that no one wants to see 77 year old Ford playing the character.

What next?

Raiders112390 said:
There is no real mainstream demand now for a fifth Indy film
Good films/TV series create their own demand. Twas ever thus.

Where was the mainstream demand for an 80s throwback sci-fi/horror story before Stranger Things?
Didn't stop it from becoming a huge commercial and critical success.

Unless Disney majorly screw it up with Indy 5, which I doubt -despite the constraints imposed by Ford's presence- I don't see why future prequels with a younger actor couldn't be successful and enjoyable by old and new fans of the series alike.

Last edited: