Caring for a Wested jacket..?

emtiem

Hi, I've just taken delivery of my first Wested jacket which I got for a good price from eBay. It seems to be pretty fresh and unworn although with a distressed finish (there are no creases you'd expect from wear but the leather has a mottled and worn finish) and I was wondering if there's anything I should be doing to protect it/ensure it stays fresh...?

I must admit I don't know which particular hide it is, or even which cut of jacket- the listing said it's a Raiders, but there's nothing to confirm that. It's quite a light coloured leather if that gives any clues...? Is there anything which can darken it slightly?

Major West

Pecard leather conditioner. You can buy it on ebay from USA sellers at a reasonable price. You won't need a big tub of it. The smallest would do for one application. That will slightly darken the jacket as well. Pecard is the only product Wested endorse if you use any products at all.

There are videos on youtube that will show you how to apply it to the jacket etc.

emtiem

That's very kind; thank you- I'll check that out. Is there a particular shade or type that's recommended?

Major West

I use the one called the Pecard Original Leather Dressing. Which should work universally. I've used it on cowleather and lamb leather. A small 6 oz tub will be enough for 3-4 jackets. There is also the Antique Leather dressing, but this is meant for leather that is really old. 20-30 years old etc.

Drones33

I concur with Major West completely, Pecards is the way to go.
As for the cut of the jacket, the best way to tell is... if it has press-studs at the top and bottom of the storm flap then it's a Last Crusade, if it has very small patch pockets and quite a chunky silver coloured zip it's a Temple of Doom. If it has none of the above then chances are it's a Raiders(y) post a couple of picture if you get the chance.

emtiem

Drones33 said:
I concur with Major West completely, Pecards is the way to go.
As for the cut of the jacket, the best way to tell is... if it has press-studs at the top and bottom of the storm flap then it's a Last Crusade, if it has very small patch pockets and quite a chunky silver coloured zip it's a Temple of Doom. If it has none of the above then chances are it's a Raiders(y) post a couple of picture if you get the chance.

Thank you! That's very interesting- I thought it was an LC but it must indeed be a Raiders (although it does have quite a chunky brass-coloured zip).

Here it is when I bought it (in artificial light):
wested1.jpg

And today in daylight:
wested2.png

I guess you'd have to say the sleeves are a little short for me in terms of an accurate Indy look, but I'm not minding it. It needs a lot more wear to lose that shine but I'm pretty happy with it. Some Pecards sounds like it will give it a richer tone?

Mickiana said:
You don't care for it, it cares for you. ; )

Haha! Great!

emtiem

Before and after a coat of Pecard; the light is slightly different of course but it's certainly darker. Some of the weathering has been evened out, but I think that'll come back and sort itself out. I hope the shininess goes too, but I do enjoy it.

ebay picture hosting