Wested Indy shirt.

mini-inferno

Hell again fellow Arkeologists,
just wondering if anyone out there has bought the Wested Indy shirt? If so, what is the fit, quality, thickness of the cotton like, and if not so good can anyone offer some advice on a good quality alternative?
regards,
MI:rolleyes:

micsteam

I have a Wested shirt and although a nice shirt it's not a true Indy shirt, fabric wise. Outside of Noel Howard at M.B.A. Costumes (deceased) What Price Glory www.whatpriceglory.com has an excellent shirt, I have one and it is excellent. The fabric type is correct for the time period which is 1880's-1940's you'll need to wash it several times to get the stiffness out of it but really is quite good, I think you'll be happy. I wear mine all the time, fits me like a glove. I'm a 38-40 I have a 40 a little tight but correct for Raiders and I love it. Hope this helps

mini-inferno

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys, and I've just put my order in for a WPG Indy shirt. Looking at the pics on Wested's site, I always thought the Wested shirt didn't quite look right. Seems to be made of the wrong material; more like dress shirt cotton, rather than the rougher texture Indy wears in ROTLA. I didn't know of, and never heard of Whatpriceglory before you mentioned it, but my orders in and can't wait. I've wanted one of these shirts since I first saw Indy on the big screen back in '81.
Thanks again guys a happy idol hunting.:D

Kt Templar

Although Wested's shirt is a little too thick. Indy's shirt is definitely not rough.

I was lucky enough to handle the screen used shirt that Noel had, and his fabric was spot on. No other maker has managed to come close they all go for a much thicker and snappier linen.

The correct fabric for the indy shirt is a smooth soft almost silky cotton, I believe a mercurised cotton but I nave no definitive proof of that. The closest you'd easily find is a tropical cotton, the type you'd find in India or Thailand.

mini-inferno

Got my WPG Indy Shirt.

Hello again Indyheads,
And Yes, I finally got my Indy shirt from WPG and it is exactly the fit and colour I was hoping for. Thanks for the recommendations guys and I couldn't be more pleased. I went for the Medium short and it fits me perfectly. I quite like the form-fitting cut of the shirt because it gives you a slim look. Washed it twice now and its softening and wrinkling up nicely.
Also, thanks for the extra info KT and Indy Byrd its much appreciated. I didn't realise Indy's shirt was made from a smooth cotton, but this WPG is quite smooth; not dress shirt smooth, but I'm aiming to soften the texture anyway to give it the look, similar to the the one Indy wears on the Cairo rooftop scene. Also, that's a great looking Wested Shirt KT, beautiful colour and texture, I'm sure if I'd have got a Wested, it wouldn't have looked as good as yours.
Happy Adventuring guys and thanks for all your advice.

Djd1

I think I've owned all the different indy shirt types over the years - Noel Howard, wested, Adventurebilt, Azuma, Todd's, Magnoli, WPG...
The Adventurebilt and Azuma are the closest to the Noel Howard I think. The WPG is a good, practical shirt but the fabric is much, much thicker than the real thing. The fit is also very large, particularly the midriff. Look at how fitted Ford's shirt is. The colour on the Magnoli and the wested is well off, one too yellow and one too pink. Out of the readily available options I think Todd's is the closest in fit, material and colour.

micsteam

Djd1, I agree with what you've said about the WPG shirt. I acquired the one I wear presently from a member from another forum and I guess he had it slightly taylored as it is form fitting around the midrift not too tight but comfortable. I have a new WPG and it's darker and I don't care for the color of the buttons. Yes the fabric is thicker but if I were to buy this shirt in period or have it made in period it would be this fabric type, I've had safari and military uniform shirts from the early part of the 20th century and I have to say (at least the earlier WPG shirt I wear often) the WPG is an excellent shirt. However, I'm always on the lookout for an M.B.A. Noel Howard whenever I can find one.

Djd1

I agree that the WPG is a very practical and tough shirt - just a shame about the fit.

I ended up selling my Noel Howard shirt. I never wore it mainly because it was one button short on the front (I think they're all like this), so if you're tallish the shirt tends to gape open above the belt...

My Adventurebilt shirt is my favourite by a distance.

jsarino

Djd1 said:
Out of the readily available options I think Todd's is the closest in fit, material and colour.

Too bad Todd's is not in stock...hasn't been for several months. :( Mine is one I ordered from a Hong Kong company because I needed one on a pinch for an obstacle course mine race, then a cosplay event soon after. The color and design seem close to accurate, but not sure about the material though.

Drones33

I'm currently looking to get a new shirt and have been torn between the WPG and the Wested. This is very helpful. Thanks gentlemen.

Goodeknight

Wow, I can tell from this pic on WPG's site that their shirt has a very hefty cut to it. Sleeves billow and the shirt is quite wide. I'm not skinny anymore (like I was when I was a kid), but that shirt would fit me like a tent.

IJShirt1.jpg