Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn

Staff member
KotCS was announced on Dec 30th 2006. So yeah, that was a less than a year and a half since the film hit the screens.

This one was announced three full years beforehand. That's pretty damn peculiar indeed.

As for Mr. Ford's age... perhaps we could just apply Occam's razor? The reason they don't act like this thing is age-critical because it is not age-critical. The role they've planned for him does not hinge on him being in as good a shape as possible.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
That's an excellent point, Finn. Maybe it isn't all that critical- I think it may be more puzzle based (sounds like I'm talking about a video game!) or maybe in the vein of modern Doctor Who action not as full on physical but still has action however a stronger mystery and intrigue based focus.

Silvor

That Frank Marshall quote almost makes it sound like Disney is just leaving Indy 5 to Frank and Spielberg to do with as they see fit and then concentrating on the future of the franchise in the, well future :p (I know there are lots and lots of arguments about why this is unlikely, just one way to read it).

Personally I think the not being concerned about Ford's age thing is just that Ford is as old as he is and they write the movie for him, so of course the age won't be a problem. They (Frank and Spielberg) know Ford and probably have a good idea of what they can get away with him doing.

Mungi

Silvor said:
Personally I think the not being concerned about Ford's age thing is just that Ford is as old as he is and they write the movie for him, so of course the age won't be a problem. They (Frank and Spielberg) know Ford and probably have a good idea of what they can get away with him doing.

Exactly. May I quote this:
Spielberg: "As Harrison matures so does his character and yet he did so many of his own stunts in ?The Force Awakens."

"He keeps himself in such brilliant physical shape that I don?t believe when 2018 comes around, which is when I?m slated to direct the fifth installment coming out in 2019, I think Harrison is going to be able do a lot of what the script is asking him to do."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ord-not-old-indiana-jones-5-article-1.2683824

By the way: If you compare Last Crusade and Crystal Skull, Ford was more physical active in the LATTER. He didn't have to jump and run in Indy 3, since he did a lot of action on a boat, on a motorcycle and on a horse. Even if he would do only as much as back then in Indy 5, I think we would be more than happy.:whip:

Z dweller

Finn said:
Or he's not meant to feature the entire time.
That is my hope.

In a previous post in this thread I submitted that Disney might actually have been better off waiting much longer to announced Indy 5.
However, if their plan is to introduce a younger actor shown in flashback scenes, then it would explain the logic behind an early announcement.

Keep old fans happy by letting them know right from the start that Ford will be part of it, while giving themselves plenty of time to find the right guy to introduce in Indy 5, then star in future prequels.

Randy_Flagg

Z dweller said:
That is my hope.

In a previous post in this thread I submitted that Disney might actually have been better off waiting much longer to announced Indy 5.
However, if their plan is to introduce a younger actor shown in flashback scenes, then it would explain the logic behind an early announcement.

Keep old fans happy by letting them know right from the start that Ford will be part of it, while giving themselves plenty of time to find the right guy to introduce in Indy 5, then star in future prequels.

That approach makes the most sense, really.
And if they have Harrison Ford and the younger actor together at the next couple of Comic-cons, it would definitely help audiences get used to the idea.
I know some people consider it practically blasphemous to suggest Harrison is getting too old, but Disney needs to think long-term about this, and sadly, nothing about Harrison Ford can really be considered "long-term" any more. Bringing in a new actor while Harrison is still there to endorse him will, I think, work better than bringing in a new guy after Harrison is gone. So Indy 5 is the time to do it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Randy_Flagg said:
That approach makes the most sense, really.
And if they have Harrison Ford and the younger actor together at the next couple of Comic-cons, it would definitely help audiences get used to the idea.

With Harrison's age, though. They could have waited a 1/2 decade and the problem would solve itself.

(yes, that's a bit of sarcasm, deal with it)

Where's Wooderson when we need him.

Johnny Nys

But is it really so weird in the world of today to have a release date tapered on it so far in advance? Disney has been doing that for a while now, announcing release dates of all their movies for the next 4 years. They did in October, they did it again in April, ... So isn't Indy just one of many? They have 4 other movies slated for 2019 so far.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Very true, Johnny. Very true. And I like your approach.

That said, does anyone know of a modern (tentpole) movie these days that isn't foreshadowed by a release date.

I can't think of one that didn't at least get a years notice.

Dr.Sartorius

Johnny Nys said:
But is it really so weird in the world of today to have a release date tapered on it so far in advance? Disney has been doing that for a while now, announcing release dates of all their movies for the next 4 years. They did in October, they did it again in April, ... So isn't Indy just one of many? They have 4 other movies slated for 2019 so far.

I think the more confusing thing is why isn't this movie the priority for Spielberg. This movie is supposedly for the fans so you'd think he'd make it before that new Mark Rylance movie.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Will J.J. Abrams ever direct one?
I don't think so. First of all, they certainly don't need me. Secondly, I really do feel like, as someone who has been a very lucky recipient of other people's original ideas, and getting to sort of help shepherd them and be part of it, I'm looking forward to helping be a part of creating some stories that maybe one day someone can talk about rebooting. But it's been, with Mission: Impossible and Star Trek and Star Wars, and, frankly, now with Westworld too, which is a totally different thing, I do feel like it would be nice to work on something that doesn't necessarily pre-exist.

Mungi

Dr.Sartorius said:
I think the more confusing thing is why isn't this movie the priority for Spielberg. This movie is supposedly for the fans so you'd think he'd make it before that new Mark Rylance movie.

Why shouldn't he make a small movie between two big ones? He has so often been doing different projects at once and the script for Indy 5 won't be finished when he's shooting "Edgardo Mortara". The script will have to be done until the end of 2017 to start pre-production. I can't see how they could do that earlier, so it doesn't make a difference whether he's doing something else in the meantime or not.

Walecs

Pale Horse said:
Very true, Johnny. Very true. And I like your approach.

That said, does anyone know of a modern (tentpole) movie these days that isn't foreshadowed by a release date.

I can't think of one that didn't at least get a years notice.

James Bond 25. It's supposed to come out in 2018 yet no release date has been claimed.

Moedred said:
Will J.J. Abrams ever direct one?

J. J. Abrams should stay as far as possible from Indiana Jones. I don't want to see a full-of-homages remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

IndyBuff

Raiders112390 said:
I have a question:
Why did they announce Indy 5 so soon? As I recall, we had tons of rumors, but no official confirmation of KOTCS being in production until January 2007 - only a year and a half before it came out. I am like 99% certain I remember there being the official announcement around early-mid January of that year, and before that, we only had whispers, rumors and speculation. And cameras had only just started rolling, or were about to, when we got the news.

So the question is, why, when we're not even really in pre-production even, we're in the early concept phase - they don't even have a firm script yet, just a ton of ideas - Why announce it when it's three years away from release, and two years away from even being filmed? Why put a firm release date down when there probably isn't even a first draft script or even a story synopsis written?

I don't mean to sound morbid, but a lot can happen between today and the film's shooting year, 2018. This year, and last, have been pretty brutal in terms of celebrity deaths, and Harrison isn't getting any younger. Again, I'm not trying to be morbid, just realistic.|

Also, why push it so far down the road? Is 2018 really the earliest Spielberg and Harrison will be available to shoot this thing? As I see it, Steven began shooting one film this year, and will probably wrap production early next year. He has his long awaited other project which he'll film next year - but shouldn't Indy 5 take precedence in the lineup, given the ages of everyone involved and the fact that it's more important financially? If so, we'd have Indy 5 a year earlier at least. It'd be a two year wait rather than three.

I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Why not start as soon as possible and aim for a late 2017 or summer 2018 date? It seems strange to put it off for that long, especially given Ford's age. It's the same frustration I had after TLC, where they waited nearly two decades to do another film. Ideally we should have had one in the 90's as well. These films just don't seem like priorities to many involved in the production process, which is unfortunate.

Dr.Sartorius

Mungi said:
Why shouldn't he make a small movie between two big ones? He has so often been doing different projects at once and the script for Indy 5 won't be finished when he's shooting "Edgardo Mortara". The script will have to be done until the end of 2017 to start pre-production. I can't see how they could do that earlier, so it doesn't make a difference whether he's doing something else in the meantime or not.

Because I'm afraid Ford is going to look like George Hall by the time they start filming. lol

Randy_Flagg

Walecs said:
J. J. Abrams should stay as far as possible from Indiana Jones. I don't want to see a full-of-homages remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Yeah, the last time they did an homage-heavy Indy film, it didn't turn out so great (KOTCS.) Based on how great The Force Awakens turned out, though, I think JJ would have handled an homage-heavy Indy film way better than Lucas/Spielberg did. But ultimately, I want Indy 5 to be something new.

Raiders90

IndyBuff said:
I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Why not start as soon as possible and aim for a late 2017 or summer 2018 date? It seems strange to put it off for that long, especially given Ford's age. It's the same frustration I had after TLC, where they waited nearly two decades to do another film. Ideally we should have had one in the 90's as well. These films just don't seem like priorities to many involved in the production process, which is unfortunate.

We were going to have one in the 90s - probably 1997. Jeffrey Boam did the final draft of Saucermen from Mars around early 1996 and Spielberg accepted it enough to agree to do it, but then Independence Day came out and Spielberg backed off - as he felt releasing an Indy film with aliens so soon after ID4 would make them look like bandwagon jumpers. After that, Lucas turned his full attention to the Special Editions (1997), and fully committing to the idea of the Star Wars prequels (Which were shot in 1999, 2002, and 2004). Between the SW commitment, Ford's projects and Spielberg's, 2008 was the earliest we could get a new film after 1996 (especially if you take into account that the script phase probably took a year or so - so, pre-production in truth probably began in 2005/2006 and full shooting started in 2007).

So you can blame Independence Day for us not getting an Indy 4 circa 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.