How would you write Mutt and Marion out?

Raiders90

The last film has really tied Indy down in a lot of ways:

-No longer is he just a professor; now he's an Associate Dean - less time off, more responsibilities.

-He's married, now, and has a son who he never got the chance to know

How would you write around those factors while still keeping the general events of KOTCS canon in this fifth movie?

OldIndy2323

Not to mention that he has a daughter by the end of 1958 and a granddaughter via Mutt by the end of the same year. I think the idea of continuity and canon is that ideas and stories can remain until there's NO way to keep them. The movie can simply NOT mention any of Indy's family and we can all keep speculating and adding our own fan fiction to his timeline. Indy V could be like TOD and not "touch" the US and therefore there'd be no need to mention what happens to either Marion or Mutt.

But to your question: I would love to have a scene where Indy, rushing off to his new adventure, passes through his home with Marion, giving her a quick kiss and patting a 8 - 10 year old red-headed daughter on the head, before packing his gear. Before he leaves, Marion says, "Don't worry, we'll hear something about him soon." and pan over to a picture of Mutt. The implication that Mutt is missing somewhere after an adventure gone wrong.

Or, just as KOTCS did with Henry Sr., one of Indy's friends can make a comment about how're things with Marion and Mutt. And Indy can reply with some sarcastic yet endearing comment about family life.

Randy_Flagg

I think the easiest way to write around it is just not to make Indy's family part of the story.
Mutt's an adult, so it's not as if he'd be spending that much time with Indy anyway. Odds are, he'd have a life of his own. Nobody would find it unusual if a grown man isn't tagging along with his dad.
As for Marion, she's not an archaeologist, so it would actually be a bit harder to concoct a story that DOES involve her (same applies to Mutt, actually.)

And regarding him being an associate dean and not getting as much time off, I don't think that would be a problem, either. First, these movies don't exactly focus on the realism of these kinds of details. But even if they did take it into account, Indy could be retired, or maybe he gets abducted, or maybe the college sends him on an assignment, knowing that his his talents will be better put to use that way. Honestly, I'd prefer it if the college didn't even factor into the story. I don't need to see the obligatory college scene that's already been redone in Last Crusade and Skull. I'd like them to vary the formula and give us something a bit different, the way TOD did.

FordFan

All someone has to do is ask Indy, "You have a son? Where is he?" And have Ford respond with a shake of the head, "Who the hell knows with that kid..."

IndyForever

Just ignore both and do not address but I doubt Spielberg will be able to resist giving Karen Allen a part of some sorts!

The marriage could give the audience knowledge of why Indy has a hard time with relationships or why he left her in the first place. Think John McClain and Holly in the Die Hard movies. John can never make that phone call because of the situations he gets into unwillingly. Or an Indy?s case, he can?t resist an adventure at the same time.

Gwydion

Have Indy visiting their graves at the start of the movie. :dead:

Then forget all about them. (y)

Actually, Marion can come back if she's more like she was in Raiders, character-wise, than she was in KOTCS.

I didn't mind Mutt as much as some, but to me, Indiana Jones is not a character who should be doing family adventures.

Raiders90

Gwydion said:
Have Indy visiting their graves at the start of the movie. :dead:

Then forget all about them. (y)

Actually, Marion can come back if she's more like she was in Raiders, character-wise, than she was in KOTCS.

I didn't mind Mutt as much as some, but to me, Indiana Jones is not a character who should be doing family adventures.

You wouldn't happen to be a fan of the King's Quest series of video games, are you?

contra

Mutt died in Vietnam. Marion blamed indy and they divorced. Indy is an old bitter man, until it's time for a new, final adventure.

Pale Horse

Staff member
contra said:
Mutt died in Vietnam. Marion blamed indy and they divorced. Indy is an old bitter man, until it's time for a new, final adventure.

Effective. Well done. Make him an alcoholic and it's on. Oh, btw, the Ark was found at area 51 and now "top men" want him to put it back in Tanis without anyone finding out. Especially The Ravenwood Cult.

Gear

Mutt was a rebel without a cause, the '60s rolled around and he wasn't gonna take orders from draft officers, so he dodged and is somewhere living as more of an easy rider.

As for Marion, I like the 'blamed Indy for the dysfunction and divorced him' idea. Seems to fit the ebb and flow of their relationship.

Raiders90

Gear said:
Mutt was a rebel without a cause, the '60s rolled around and he wasn't gonna take orders from draft officers, so he dodged and is somewhere living as more of an easy rider.

As for Marion, I like the 'blamed Indy for the dysfunction and divorced him' idea. Seems to fit the ebb and flow of their relationship.

Perfect. -Clap clap-. I'm serious, I think that's the best way to handle it.

Lance Quazar

Just have him be abroad on another trip and get swept up into an adventure, "Temple of Doom" style. No need to start everything home front.

Raiders90

I do want one Marshall College segment so we can see one scene with mini skirt wearing co-eds. I'm sorry. But I do.

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
Effective. Well done. Make him an alcoholic and it's on. Oh, btw, the Ark was found at area 51 and now "top men" want him to put it back in Tanis without anyone finding out. Especially The Ravenwood Cult.

I can dig this too. Have Indy be a bitter, mean drunk, very close to his Raiders portrayal but even more mean. Even more mysterious. Maybe have him living away from the public at first or something; He has nothing. He's a grump - Raiders Indy taken to what would've been his more logical end-point. Something like Fedora in TLC but even darker - pure grave robber for hire, mean SOB, Bogart and Gable all the way. Maybe give it the tone of a dark Western? I know you and I disagree a lot, but I would much prefer you write this film than Dave "Hack" Koepp.

Indyologist

Gear said:

No way. No freaking way. I, for one, being a romantic, don't WANT Indy to be divorced from Marion. He's been through enough s*** with women, what with losing Diedre and all. Indy is a good man and he deserves love and a happy ending to his life. Let the poor guy settle down. Another adventure? Sure, why not? And why not take Marion along as his "love interest?" Hell, let them be so happy he can't keep his damn hands off her! :whip: I know they have their differences sometimes, but hell, "welcome to marriage!" Indy and Marion have more in common than you think. I think Marion has forgiven Indy for his past mistakes because he is so good to her. Sure the relationship isn't perfect, but what marriage is?

OldIndy2323

Totally agree! Enjoying married life and a quick reference to his daughter with Marion would be a perfect way to cap his "evolution"