How would you write Mutt and Marion out?

seasider

If we've learned anything about the relationship with Indy and Marion, it has always been a volatile partnership where at one point they are together riding off into the sunset and then something happens that causes a period of estrangement. When we first meet Marion in Raiders, she's still hurt about their previous breakup and punches him in the face.

I think they could easily use the Die Hard 3 model where the movie begins with the hero separated from his wife but still hoping to resolve things but in the meantime he goes off on an adventure and kills the bad guys and then at the end of the film, it is hinted that he's going try to patch things up with his marriage.

Gear

Indyologist said:
No way. No freaking way. I, for one, being a romantic, don't WANT Indy to be divorced from Marion. He's been through enough s*** with women, what with losing Diedre and all. Indy is a good man and he deserves love and a happy ending to his life. Let the poor guy settle down. Another adventure? Sure, why not? And why not take Marion along as his "love interest?" Hell, let them be so happy he can't keep his damn hands off her! :whip: I know they have their differences sometimes, but hell, "welcome to marriage!" Indy and Marion have more in common than you think. I think Marion has forgiven Indy for his past mistakes because he is so good to her. Sure the relationship isn't perfect, but what marriage is?

Well, to make a defense that might sway you, the idea I was promoting could inspire some angry.. love literature.

IndyBuff

Mutt could be away at school or doing something else with his life. Maybe Marion could see that domestic life is stifling for Indy, encouraging him to go on an adventure when a tempting offer is made. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a way to write around it.

Indyologist

Gear said:
Well, to make a defense that might sway you, the idea I was promoting could inspire some angry.. love literature.

Ooh... you like it rough? :rolleyes: What exactly are you trying to say? What is
"angry love literature?" Not trying to be sarcastic, really. What does "angry love literature" mean to you? I'm a writer, after all (though not by trade) and I'm curious.

IndyBuff said:
Mutt could be away at school or doing something else with his life. Maybe Marion could see that domestic life is stifling for Indy, encouraging him to go on an adventure when a tempting offer is made. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a way to write around it.

Um, yeah... as long as Marion isn't written OUT...I could see her encouraging him to have some fun adventuring, although I'm sure she'd be a little concerned should he run into any attactive females along the way. Somehow, though, I think that maybe she would love him enough to trust him.

IndyBuff

Indyologist said:
Um, yeah... as long as Marion isn't written OUT...I could see her encouraging him to have some fun adventuring, although I'm sure she'd be a little concerned should he run into any attactive females along the way. Somehow, though, I think that maybe she would love him enough to trust him.

I think Marion should at least have a brief appearance. They're married, after all, so it makes sense that she would be in there somewhere.

Pale Horse

Staff member
IndyBuff said:
I think Marion should at least have a brief appearance. They're married, after all, so it makes sense that she would be in there somewhere.

Like on a tombstone.

Nerdpants

The easiest way to write them out of it is to not bring them up...

Of course, that is harder to do for Marion whom he married last adventure. As long as he is not at home, there is no reason she needs to appear.