Ep. 16: YIJ and the Phantom Train of Doom

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
And I'm surprised he didn't re-introduce himself to President Wilson in Paris, too.
O.K. wait - Did he meet Wilson in one of the junior novels or something?
Good to see you posting, Junior Jones!

Indy's clue-dropping didn't work on Demetrios so had to break into the man's home
and steal his jackal head in order to make the guy realize who he was.:)
AdamwanKenobi said:
"Mr. Ravenwood? Maybe you don't remember me. I'm Henry Jones, Jr. We met a little over ten years ago in Jerusalem when I was a kid."
Perfect! Could you hear Ned to Indy, "Are you the kid who keeps writing me all
those blasted letters?" How about Indy to Remy, "It's me Indy! You almost executed
me in Mexico 2 years ago. Don't you remember? I'm responsible for your 2 missing toes!"

Serioulsy, though, you can forgive any of the other names to not recognize Indy.
It would be interesting to see who was still alive after Indy becomes "famous" so they
could say, "Yes, I've known Prof. Jones since he was just a boy. As a matter of fact, in 19..."

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
It would be interesting to see who was still alive after Indy becomes "famous" so they
could say, "Yes, I've known Prof. Jones since he was just a boy. As a matter of fact, in 19..."

And now for another of my "conversations": The year is 1935, a few months before T.E. Lawrence dies in a motorcycle wreck. Indy has returned home and has just published a paper on the Thuggee cult. It quickly becomes a national fascination in the US. Every reporter is looking to interview anyone even remotely close to Indy:

Reporter: "So Mr. Lawrence, you say you've known the famous archaeologist Indiana Jones since he was a child?"

T.E. Lawrence: "Indeed I have."

Reporter: "What can you say about him?"

T.E. Lawrence: "He's the most extraordinary man I've ever known. He's a poet, a scholar and a mighty warrior. He's also the most shameless exhibitionist since Barnum and Bailey."

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Adamwankenobi said:
And now for another of my "conversations": The year is 1935, a few months before T.E. Lawrence dies in a motorcycle wreck. Indy has returned home and has just published a paper on the Thuggee cult. It quickly becomes a national fascination in the US. Every reporter is looking to interview anyone even remotely close to Indy:

Reporter: "So Mr. Lawrence, you say you've known the famous archaeologist Indiana Jones since he was a child?"

T.E. Lawrence: "Indeed I have."

Reporter: "What can you say about him?"

T.E. Lawrence: "He's the most extraordinary man I've ever known. He's a poet, a scholar and a mighty warrior. He's also the most shameless exhibitionist since Barnum and Bailey."

We can't all be lion tamers.

Junior Jones

Stoo said:
Junior Jones said:
And I'm surprised he didn't re-introduce himself to President Wilson in Paris, too.
O.K. wait - Did he meet Wilson in one of the junior novels or something?

Well, Young Indy didn't meet Woodrow Wilson in any official stories...

But Wilson was president of Princeton University from 1902-1910. From what I've read, he made it a point to be friendly with the staff, so I'm sure he was familiar with Professor Jones and his family. And when a professor from your history department is invited on a world lecture tour, that's a memorable event.

I included Wilson in a cameo in my version of Princeton 1905.

Ltdefense

I really dig this episode a lot...it's a nice contrast to the gritty trench warfare episodes beforehand. To me, this episode is where Indy makes the transition from a regular guy into a pulp hero!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Adamwankenobi said:
I think he did the same with Howard Carter when he meets him again in "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye". It would have been funny if the third season would have been made, because maybe we would have seen the "Jerusalem, June 1909" episode where Indy meets Abner Ravenwood for the first time, and maybe an episode later on where he's in college and says something like "Mr. Ravenwood? Maybe you don't remember me. I'm Henry Jones, Jr. We met a little over ten years ago in Jerusalem when I was a kid."

I believe it's Professor Ravenwood. Besides if Abner needed to be reminded, then Marion must take after her mother. She sure as hell remembers Indy in Raiders, lol. Actually, I would love to see a tele-movie on Young Indy and Marion. They could still do that couldn't they? Carter does remember Indy in "Peacock's Eye". As for this episode, not one of my favourites, but what I do like is the German officer who reminds Indy of his dad and how Indy learns to "make it up as you go along."

Blumburtt

PTOD Soundtrack

Is it just me, or is Joel McNeely's score for the balloon chase in 'The Phantom Train of Doom' very reminiscent of John William's 'Belly of the Steel Beast' from the Last Crusade soundtrack? Intentional? Plagiarism?

Crack that whip

Blumburtt said:
Is it just me, or is Joel McNeely's score for the balloon chase in 'The Phantom Train of Doom' very reminiscent of John William's 'Belly of the Steel Beast' from the Last Crusade soundtrack? Intentional? Plagiarism?

It is indeed very reminiscent of it, and intentionally so (and why would you think it's plagiarism, if it's part of the same overall series?). The composer himself even briefly mentioned/acknowledged it in his liner notes from the soundtrack album:

Composer Joel McNeely said:
This film and as a result this score, is more typical in style of the Indiana Jones feature films than the series and much is musically owed to John Williams, whose brilliant scores light up these films.

Blumburtt

Thanks for that - don't own any of the soundtracks for Young Indy myself - any you'd particularly recommend? And was just being tongue in cheek about the plagiarism accusation by the way.

Crack that whip

Ah, Ok. Apologies if I sounded a bit brusque - darned tonal inflections not carrying well over the internet... ;)

Any I'd recommend? All of them! :D But that's just me; I'm a score enthusiast, and I consider the soundtracks to be essential to one's enjoyment of the series, just below having and watching the actual movies and TV shows on DVD or whatever.

Here are a few quick notes and observations:

Vol. 1 - An extended album version of The Main Title (just over two minutes, and focusing on the "adventure" backbone of the theme, omitting the jazz and such), plus music from Verdun 1916, Peking 1910, Paris 1916 and Barcelona 1917. All good stuff IMO, but my favorites are the rather heavy dramatic stuff from Verdun and the comically fiery Barcelona, with its Rimsky-Korsakoff's Scheherazade and flamenco flourishes.

Vol. 2 - The Main Title again, this time in a short version more like what's in the opening titles to the show, plus music from Vienna '08, German East Africa / The Congo '16 & '17, London '16, and British East Africa '09. Here I most enjoy the serious treatment of the Oganga episodes, with poignancy added from a bit of Bach, reflecting the Bach-loving Albert Schweitzer, and the delicate romantic parts from the London episode.

Vol. 3 - Scandal of 1920, Mystery of the Blues and Princeton '16. Arguably the most thematically-unified of the four volumes, this one features a lot of source cues in the first two episodes. A lot of soundtrack fans bristle at this sort of thing, but I love it; some of the jazz / blues stuff from Mystery of the Blues is probably my most-played music from these CDs, whereas my favorite tracks on the other albums are score cues (then again, the other albums have far less source music on them).

Vol. 4 - Ireland '16, Phantom Train of Doom and Northern Italy '18. My favorite parts of this are from Phantom Train, with all the Williams-ish material; it really helps tie the TV series to the features.

I consider all four essential to my Indy library, right alongside the movie soundtracks. I do wish there were additional volumes with more music, but there you go. Each of these is a single CD, but they're quite long - the shortest is Volume 3, and it's still over 70 minutes; the other three are all over 75, and the four of them combined run close to five hours.

Considering the series' too-short run, I think this makes this show one of the TV shows with the most score represented on CD, though there's still a lot missing. Everything on the four discs comes from episodes scored by the series' two main composers, Laurence Rosenthal (who composed the theme) and Joel McNeely, who between them did a lot of the show, but there are also a bunch of episodes scored by others. I really wish there had been even more - but then, even the soundtracks for the three movies aren't exactly comprehensive, either, though I'm hoping that'll change with the reported forthcoming Concord reissues.

Anyway, aside from the music itself all four feature pretty nice presentations, with insert booklets with a lot of nice photos, plus notes on their scores by the two composers. The fourth volume also has some brief additional notes by George Lucas; I see someone else went and posted them somewhere around here in another thread.

Apologies for the digression...

Last edited:

Blumburtt

Hey, don't worry about it :D

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply - you definitely know your Indy scores!

I also really enjoyed the music from the Oganga episodes (one of my favorite episodes overall in fact), and the way McNeely incorporated Bach into the score.

I was also wondering whether you knew the name of the piece played when Indy first arrives in London during the episode 'Love's Sweet Song' (just before he signs up for the Belgian army) - I'm sure it's not an original composition (though I may be wrong), and think that it's also repeated in a later episode.

Now I'm off to find these soundtracks!

Thanks again for your help. (y)

(I guess these posts would probably be better in the soundtrack thread)

Whipper

Vol. 3 - some of the jazz / blues stuff from Mystery of the Blues is probably my most-played music from these CDs, whereas my favorite tracks on the other albums are score cues (then again, the other albums have far less source music on them).

I love Volume 3 but I was bummed by the omission of The Man I Love. That song was pretty darn important in the episode -- the game-winner! --so I was really surprised not to see it on the soundtrack album.

phantom train

IMHO, The Phantom Train of Doom was one of the better YIJC episodes:

- Great story and acting, and a good combination of drama & humor. The espionage aspect was interesting, and the incredible African scenery was amazing as well.

- This & the other Africa episodes showed a side of WW I that I hadn't been famliar with before, and illustrated how far-reaching the War actually was.

- I liked the cameo by Frederick Selous (Paul Freeman), since it was an homage not only to his appearance in the little Indy Africa episode, but to ROTLA (since Freeman played Belloq in that film).

- Also, if memory serves it's the first YIJC episode/tele-film that didn't air with the George Hall bookends, so when you watch it on the DVD set you're watching what was originally seen on network TV back in '93 (in the U.S.). Granted, that's not enough to make this necessarily rise above the other episodes, but it does illustrate that that the GH bookends, though interesting, aren't completely necessary.

Stoo

phantom train said:
This & the other Africa episodes showed a side of WW I that I hadn't been famliar with before, and illustrated how far-reaching the War actually was.
Having been already very familiar with this WW1 campaign when the series first aired, I was ECSATIC to see Indy taking part in it. EASILY my most-watched & favourite chapters! I LOVE THEM!(y)
phantom train said:
I liked the cameo by Frederick Selous (Paul Freeman), since it was an homage not only to his appearance in the little Indy Africa episode, but to ROTLA (since Freeman played Belloq in that film).
Agreed, phantom train, but Selous' part is NOT a "cameo" and the homage is far more reaching and much DEEPER than Paul Freeman's portrayal. Selous is a major character in this story and the real-life man was a part-basis for H.Rider Haggard's, Allan Quatermain, who in turn, served as an inspiration for Indiana Jones. The inclusion of Selous in Young Indy's African adventures is a BIG winner for me - all the way 'round!(y)
phantom train said:
Also, if memory serves it's the first YIJC episode/tele-film that didn't air with the George Hall bookends, so when you watch it on the DVD set you're watching what was originally seen on network TV back in '93 (in the U.S.). Granted, that's not enough to make this necessarily rise above the other episodes, but it does illustrate that that the GH bookends, though interesting, aren't completely necessary.
Yes, you are correct, except for one tiny detail. The only difference (that I have found) between the original broadcast and the DVD is the 'on-screen' title.

InexorableTash

Just went to look at an appartment for rent. Among the various models of WW2 ships built by the landlord/owner in the basement was a two-foot long model of Big Bertha!

(Well, actually Langer Max, but nicknamed Big Bertha in the episode if I recall...)

Stoo

25th Royal Fusiliers

For anyone interested (like Flyingace1939) in the actual 25th Royal Fusiliers a.k.a. "The Old & the Bold", here's an OUTSANDING website that catalogues their movements & actions from 1915 to 1918 with subdivisions detailing each battle. An incredible wealth of information.

http://www.25throyalfusiliers.co.uk/battalion_at_war.html

Clicking the "HOME" button at the bottom brings you to even more: The men, the insignia, their formation and anything else you could ever want to know. The website's author, Steve Eeles, must be congratulated for his exhaustive amount of research! :hat: