Soundtracks?

InexorableTash

FWIW, I'd ditch the wall behind the crew in the lower left and have the girl's dress continue down. I don't think you need to make each scene "complete".

The transition from Vlad to the the foreground scene is amazing - it's like an elaborate chest-plate and then you realize it's a whole new scene. Similarly, the transition along the top - from the Hagia Sophia to the forest to the castle - is great. I'd just tone down the tree and cloud since the logo is going there.

Speaking of the logo, here's my scan - it's 1MB or so transparent PNG. It looks rough at full size (could be tidied up) but is fine when sized appropriately. (So far as I can tell, yes - the lower bars are supposed to be transparent.)

https://sites.google.com/site/youngindianajonesmusic/YIJC Title.png

Also... here's a work-in-progress page for the fan soundtracks we've discussed:

http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/fan-soundtracks

Liner notes are a work in progress.

MDew

Cool, that page should be helpful. What about the recent "Curse of the Jackal" find - is that being added to one of those volumes?

Demitasse

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Intrigued by an earlier post from lairdo, I'm interested in hunting the Rimsky-Korsokov ballet used in Secret Service alluded to by Rosenthal in the soundtrack liner notes. (I don't have my CDs handy, anyone got the actual quote? I know the liner notes have been posted online somewhere, but I forgot where.) Does anyone have any more info or insight into which ballet it is? We've struck gold with Stoo's finding and syncing of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scherezade excerpts. I'm going to flip through SS to try to get an idea. Not sure if it's in the Austrian or Russian episode though... Ah well, let the hunt begin! *Cue: The Old and the Bold* :whip:

lairdo said:
By the way, did everyone agree with my list from the YIJC shows? I left the question as name the most to give me a little wiggle room on the answer. I'm fairly sure I had it right for music in the score (vs. source music/on screen stage acts). Here's the complete list I had.

1. Laurence Rosenthal, My First Adventure
2. Joel McNeely, Passion for Life
3. Giacomo Puccini, Perils of Cupid (besides the on screen numbers, his music is incorporated into the score)
4. Thomas Moore, Love's Sweet Song (the Minstrel Boy Song is in the score at the train station - it is used again in Attack of the Hawkmen)
5. Frederic Talgorn, Trenches of Hell
6. JS Bach, Oganga, Giver and Taker of Life (besides the piano scenes which would be musical numbers, Bach is used in the score as well particularly after Schweitzer is taken by the French)
7. Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Adventures in the Secret Service (Rosenthal says on the CD notes that the ballet is in the score as well as on screen)
8. Curt Sobel, Masks of Evil
9. Steve Bramson, Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
10. John Williams, Mystery of the Blues (incorporated into the opening and closing Harrison Ford scenes)
11. George Gershwin, Scandal of 1920 (the movie opens with Rhapsody in Blue in the score over the train)

I would love everyone's comments or rants about the list.

(For those that don't listen to the Indy-cast, this was one of the questions on episode 100 - name the composers for Young Indy and their first appearance in DVD order.)

InexorableTash

MDew said:
Cool, that page should be helpful. What about the recent "Curse of the Jackal" find - is that being added to one of those volumes?

Tracking it as "Volume 0". Added an entry.

Stoo - I took a stab at Liner Notes for "Volume 6", in the vein of the notes for Vol 1-4, which I dug out of storage. Is this what you were looking for?

InexorableTash

FSM Archives Online

As announced over on its message board, the 1990-2005 archives of Film Score Monthly are now available for free download.

Relevant to this thread is Issue #44 which contains an issue with Joel McNeely about scoring YIJ. The article gives some background on McNeely and he discusses Lucas' dreaded temp-tracks, why Africa is more "jazz" than Paris, and the challenge of living up to the incredible visuals of the episodes.

These earlier PDFs are scans/bitmaps with no OCR so the text is not searchable. I don't suppose anyone wants to dig in for other YIJC tidbits?

EDIT: issue #30/31 has a review of the Vol 2 OST, and issue #36/37 has a review of the Vol 3 OST. There's an extremely short interview with Rosenthal in issue #49 that mentions YIJC - and the SW prequels and Indy 4 (this is in 1994!)

WARNING: The file server is hella slow. On an extremely fast connection the 32MB download took several minutes and appeared to hang. I assume they're using an RFC 1149 compliant server or something.

Last edited:

Stoo

New Reply to a 2-Year-Old Post

Demitasse said:
I identified some music from Perils of Cupid that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

While Young Indy sneaks around the palace (37:00-39:00), the archduke and his guests are listening to Mozart?s Piano Concerto in D Minor, K. 466, 2nd Movement (Romanza). Rosenthal has incorporated elements of it into the score as well.
You can find a very similar version to the one used in the episode on the very last track of disc 3 of the score for the film Amadeus. This will add another nice little 10 minutes of music to your YIJC collections. The piece complements the musical cues of this episode very well.
Yes, it's a 2-year-old topic but I wanted to thank Demitasse, again, for identifying this.:hat: Great post & why I love The Raven.

A few days ago, my girlfriend & I were in Vienna and went to see an orchestra perform Mozart & Strauss. The concert was in a nice, big, old Austrian building and THEY PLAYED THIS PIECE. I was really hoping they would and they did...beautifully. 'Twas a very special experience to hear some 'Young Indy music' PLAYED LIVE in the SAME CITY & SAME MONTH where the episode took place (105 years later)!(y)

Our windows at Hotel Bristol were right across the street from the Vienna State Opera House. Many of the hotel room doors, on each & every floor, held plaques indicating the years of when famous people had LIVED in those rooms for long periods of time (from the 1890s onwards...including Teddy Roosevelt, 1910). Our own hallway was an international 'who's who' list of late 19th/early 20th century musical celebrities with overlapping timeframes. This place must have been one hell of a party back in those days!:eek:(y) Richard Strauss had our room from c.1919-1924.

---
*** NEXT MYSTERY TO SOLVE from "Vienna/Perils of Cupid": The violin piece playing in the background when Indy interrupts the Archduke at dinner. Could it be more Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? Or perhaps some Strauss (Johann I or II)?:confused:

---
P.S. Tash and MDew and Demitasse: I've been meaning to comment on your earlier posts but need to get this Vienna trip out of my system while the memories are still fresh. Will reply later...after the buzz wears off.:)

T.E.Lawrence

InexorableTash said:
As announced over on its message board, the 1990-2005 archives of Film Score Monthly are now available for free download.

Relevant to this thread is Issue #44 which contains an issue with Joel McNeely about scoring YIJ. The article gives some background on McNeely and he discusses Lucas' dreaded temp-tracks, why Africa is more "jazz" than Paris, and the challenge of living up to the incredible visuals of the episodes.

These earlier PDFs are scans/bitmaps with no OCR so the text is not searchable. I don't suppose anyone wants to dig in for other YIJC tidbits?

EDIT: issue #30/31 has a review of the Vol 2 OST, and issue #36/37 has a review of the Vol 3 OST. There's an extremely short interview with Rosenthal in issue #49 that mentions YIJC - and the SW prequels and Indy 4 (this is in 1994!)

WARNING: The file server is hella slow. On an extremely fast connection the 32MB download took several minutes and appeared to hang. I assume they're using an RFC 1149 compliant server or something.

WOW!!!! InexorableTash, you have made my day with this post. Fantastic find. I will download all issues and will try to OCR them all in a hope maybe to find more references. Thanks sooo muchhhh for thissssss!!!!!!!

Stoo

New Discovery + Another Very Belated Reply to Demitasse

Demitasse said:
More music identified!
----------------
Guess I'm on a roll here. Maybe I should start saving these for a rainy day too, but when it rains it pours, eh Stoo?! (hint, hint) ;)

I just ID'd some more music, this time from Passion for Life. Stoo was right about his hunch (way back on the first page of this thread!) about the opening piece being by Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Rejoice, for the music from that beautiful African montage that opens the episode is called "Umusa Kankulunkulu (Mercy Of God)." It's the first track on their album, Journey of Dreams (1988), and will hopefully conjure more from Passion for Life than, er, "Graceland"!

Woohoo! Three and a half more minutes to clock in! (y)
Demitasse, I don't know why I didn't comment on your discovery 2.5 years ago but am doing so now because there is more to add. (Better later than never, eh?;))

The music at the very beginning of the DVD is, "Ibhubesi", from the exact same Ladysmith Black Mambazo album, "Journey of Dreams" (but it's edited a tiny, little bit). The track which you identified, "Umusa Kankulunkulu", comes later, during the scenes where Indy & Meto are hanging out together, watching the wildlife. During that later part, the soundtrack seamlessly segues back into the final stanzas of "Ibhubesi".

Inexorable Tash's spreadsheet will be updated with these details.

In Zulu, "ibhubesi" means "lion". Funny how South African music was used for a story that takes place in East Africa ('cuz, like, all of Africa is the same, y'know?;))

Demitasse

Stoo said:
The music at the very beginning of the DVD is, "Ibhubesi", from the exact same Ladysmith Black Mambazo album, "Journey of Dreams" (but it's edited a tiny, little bit). The track which you identified, "Umusa Kankulunkulu", comes later, during the scenes where Indy & Meto are hanging out together, watching the wildlife. During that later part, the soundtrack seamlessly segues back into the final stanzas of "Ibhubesi".

Nice!!! Way to go Stoo!! Can't wait to track it down! :whip:

Stoo

Demitasse, the whole album is worth having, regardless of the Indy connection?and THANK YOU for initially confirming my suspicions!:hat:

"Umusa Kankulunkulu" is also used again during the part where Meto wakes up Indy in his tent and they go off on the hunt.

The 2 tracks by Ladysmith Black Mambazo are rather essential for a full soundtrack of this episode. As far as I'm aware, these are the only pieces of music which were borrowed from outside sources & not recorded specifically for the TV show. (Are there any others?:confused:)

Demitasse

Chalk up another one for Soundhound. (Thanks Tash!) (y)

In Phantom Train of Doom, when Indy and Remy are being marched into the Fusileers' camp at gunpoint, the Marriage of Figaro from the Barber of Seville is playing over the loudspeakers (as Josh has already identified here).

You can find an almost identical version here, track number 8. If you want to add it chronologically to your other Phantom tracks, it should go in between McNeely's "Veldt Voyage" and "The 21st Royal Fusileers".

Artist: Gianluigi Gelmetti & etc...
Title: Il Barbiere di Siviglia, ATTO PRIMO: Cavatina: La ran le lerea ... Largo al factotum (Figaro)
Album: Rossini: Overtures & Opera Arias

InexorableTash

Demitasse said:
You can find an almost identical version here, track number 8. If you want to add it chronologically to your other Phantom tracks, it should go in between McNeely's "Veldt Voyage" and "The 21st Royal Fusileers".

Nice! Added to my playlist.

(BTW, minor plug for Google Play Music: All Access (GPM:AA) - I don't work on that project but I do work for the company. In addition to being a music store like iTunes or Amazon, GPM lets you upload all your music to "the cloud" (up to 20k tracks) for free and has good Web/Android/iPhone apps. GPM:AA is a subscription service that lets you listen to anything in the GPM store as long as you're subscribed, *and* you can add anything in the GPM store to your library/playlists. So after a listen I just dropped the track Demitasse found into my playlist... right where it belongs.)

Shazam

Just picked up vol. 1-3. Now to get vol 4 and start digging through the previous mentioned games and dvds.looking forward to the fun.

Stoo

Quest For Song Title

"Arrival in Paris" on Vol.1 is improperly credited to Joel McNeely, which (to anyone following this thread knows) is not an isolated case. Many classic & traditional themes have been incorporated into the Young Indy music and credit was given to whomever, supposedly, for their 'arrangement'. This track, however, cannot be classified as such because there's nothing different in the melody.

For anyone curious, here's where it can heard on the DVDs:

"Passion for Life/Paris 1908"
- From arriving at the train station up until Indy seeing the Mona Lisa.

"Demons of Deception/Paris 1916"
- From arriving at the train station up until Indy getting dropped off at Professor Levi's place.
- Indy arriving at Mata Hari's hotel for the 1st time.
- With Remy & prostitutes at the brothel.

I've heard the tune twice very recently. First, while actually in Paris, an accordion player was doing it (outside a major train station, too!) but I didn't have time to stop & ask. Second, was in a movie (with an almost identical shot to one in Young Indy).

It's definitely a waltz (due to the triple metre beat) so I've been searching for 'famous French waltzes'...to no avail.:(

What the heck is it?:confused:

InexorableTash

No luck on the waltz with my audio matching tools.

But... Shazam correctly matched it to the YIJC Vol 1 soundtrack, which is nice.

Sputnik

Shortly before joining I spent several hours reading through this entire thread. It is fascinating about the discoveries and how much more music is out there. I just wanted to say thank for the efforts of all involved as I work to make a more complete soundtrack. The spreadsheets are very helpful.

InexorableTash

Welcome, Sputnik! And thanks for the kind words.

Let us know if you want to help out - we still have several episodes to do score breakdowns for (mostly early eps)