Indy 5 news 2017

Raiders90

IndyBuff said:
It's been clear to me for years that Spielberg doesn't hold Indy in as high a priority as he used to. If this film, along with KOTCS, had really been a priority then we would have had them many years ago.

Not really true. When KOTCS was made, George Lucas owned the IP. If Lucas said no to an idea, Spielberg had to accept it. KOTCS took so long to make because Lucas and Spielberg couldn't come to an agreement on a script, and also Spielberg had to make compromises to get KOTCS made IE he wouldn't do an alien story outright (the original 1995 script is basically a total sci-fi movie) but the Skull angle, and the search for the Lost City angle, put enough of an Indy feel to it for him to do it. But ulimately Lucas had final say over everything. Spielberg was ready to do it in around 2002 or so - when the City of Gods script was written - Lucas said no to that script so it was back to the drawing board.

As far as this film, Lucas sold it in 2012 and Disney only greenlit a new Indy film last year.

Spielberg has never had any legal controlling interest in Indy. The fact that Lucas even allowed him the freedoms he had creatively was because of their friendship. Lucas/Disney own the franchise and make the call to him and tell him they want to do another Indy movie. Not the other way around.

If Spielberg had been okay with a totally sci-fi Indy movie, we would've had Indy 4 in 1996 or 1997. If Lucas hadn't been so stubborn about the script, we would've had one in 2004 or 2005.

IndyForever

Udvarnoky

What Spielberg said was that George would serve as Executive Producer, but that could be little more than an honorary title depending on how involved George wants to be, which is by every indication not much.

The way I'm reading it is that Spielberg doesn't want to make it behind George's back or without his blessing. But George can always say, "You have my blessing, and I'm going play video games in my underwear."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
IndyForever said:
Lucas telling autograph hunters
He's just trying to sneak between a latrine and a dumpster and through rude throngs to get back to retirement. Ford said about as much on Letterman a few years back. Perhaps The Terminal should have ended with the jazz musician chewing out Tom Hanks for wasting a year of his own life?

Spielberg and Koepp have stated they're getting the band back together and Lucas still gets paid. The release is delayed but not necessarily filming. Probably so Lucasfilm can stick the landing with Star Wars 9 then concentrate elsewhere.

Hanselation

www.IndianaJones.com

There is an official release date given for Indiana Jones 5, but the domain www.indianajones.com is still linked to the poorly maintained facebook-Indiana Jones-Page.

I have a real bad feeling about this!

If I was a production company of such a franchise, I would show more appreciation. I think Indiana Jones receives too little attention by Disney, for believing me that they are really interested to realize Indiana Jones 5.

seasider

I'd actually be more worried if the domain just went to some godaddy "domain for sale" screen or a "page cannot be displayed." The fact that they have it redirecting to another site is usually a sign that they are working on a full blown website in the background and have the redirect as a temporary situation until the real site is ready to go live.

Lucasfilm does have their own Indiana Jones page at http://lucasfilm.com/indiana-jones where they have sections for all 4 movies as well as the Young Indy series. The official release date is still July 10,2020 and unless that changes, I'm not going to worry about it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Tease is sort of a stretch.

The 85-year-old composer said he was hopeful he would be on hand to write the score, a remark that drew cheers from the throng of 18,000 that packed the Koussevitzky Music Shed and filled the Lenox lawn.

As pop was found of saying, hope in one hand, **** in the other, see which gets filled faster.

Raiders90

Honestly, I feel John Williams should be replaced. He hasn't really hit it out of the ballpark with a soundtrack since Jurassic Park...A good score is a big part of an Indy movie. I think a younger hand should be given a try.

Silvor

Raiders112390 said:
Honestly, I feel John Williams should be replaced. He hasn't really hit it out of the ballpark with a soundtrack since Jurassic Park...A good score is a big part of an Indy movie. I think a younger hand should be given a try.
Sadly I think I agree that giving composing duties to someone new might be the right way to go. Williams haven't delivered a great soundtrack in quite a while I think (at least of the ones I've heard, not seen all recent Spielberg movies).
He does show signs of greatness still. though, Rey's theme from Force Awakens is one of his recent good ones I think.

Crystal Skull's score was criminally boring sadly, nothing memorable about it, even the Raiders theme felt poorly used in that movie.
Indy needs a melodic memorable rousing soundtrack!
Of course, I hope his surprises us with a great Indy 5 score, fingers crossed!

Udvarnoky

The theme of this installment is or should be that it's the last hurrah for the old team. For better or for worse, I want all of the usual players who want to return to do so.

IndyForever

John Williams IS Indiana Jones it would not be the same movie without him or Michael Kahn editing either! To suggest anyone else is heresy :gun: KOTCS was a fantastic score perhaps the doubters need a new set of ears instead!

Forbidden Eye

A weak John Williams score better than 95% of whatever forgettable scores modern Hollywood is throwing out there. The fact he is talking about Indy 5 should enhearten anyone.

That being said, he apparently started composing The Last Jedi in 2016, which is super early, but I'm sure it was they didn't want to take any risks with his health.

Hard to compose anything for Indiana Jones 5 if they don't even have a script ready, but when they do I hope they start to collaborate with him right away and at least create themes. Not that it's impossible he'll survive the year 2020, but it is always dangerous to assume anything of that nature.

AndyLGR

IndyForever said:
John Williams IS Indiana Jones it would not be the same movie without him or Michael Kahn editing either! To suggest anyone else is heresy :gun: KOTCS was a fantastic score perhaps the doubters need a new set of ears instead!
Again as with the Star Wars scores people compare a film score they've hardly heard to those scores that we've had nearly 40 years to become accustomed to. Its a tough standard hes got to live up to.

Silvor

Udvarnoky said:
Koepp says "we've got a script we're mostly happy with" and is hoping Spielberg chooses to shoot it as his next project.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/04/indiana-jones-5-shia-labeouf-not-returning/
"mostly happy with" does not inspire me with much confidence about the project :(
What I wanted to hear is "we've got a script we're thrilled about"
Though he does say work is ongoing but still, not the words I was hoping for.
They've had years to write this thing and still they're not completely happy?

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

I think it is clear enough in the context of the article that he simply means they are not quite finished. The takeaway is he believes they are close enough that he would be comfortable with production happening soon.

Walecs

TheFedora said:
All I heard was 'no shia' and that makes me happy.:whip:

I'm fine with him not being in the movie, I just hope that he'll get a passing mention and I seriously will be disappointed if Marion is not in the movie.