Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Stoo

NickTurner said:
Globetrotting? Indy has left the globe!
Pretty, danged funny, Nick.:D This is EXACTLY like an idea I had back in 2008 for a possilble Indy 5!
Stoo said:
Have Indy do a c.1959 exosphere-to-earth, parachute jump! He could get caught on a Commie rocket
and forced to make a high-altitude bail out. (This scene would out-fridge The Fridge.:eek::p Well, not really,
since it's been done but it certainly would be in the same vein.)

Joseph Kittinger
Very cool to see it manifested in miniature form...and your shot of the lift-off is ace!(y)

NickTurner

Indy Comic

TIndy_S4_10.jpg

TIndy_S4_11.jpg

TIndy_S4_12.jpg

TIndy_S4_13.jpg

TIndy_S4_14.jpg

TIndy_S4_15.jpg

TIndy_S4_16.jpg

TIndy_S4_17.jpg

TIndy_S4_18.jpg

How nice of you to drop in, comrade Jones!

NickTurner

The idea of a 'comic' came about because of:

1) How do you justify Indy driving around in a Republic of Hatay tank?
2) Get some "paparazzi" shots of Indy with bikini babe
3) Give Indy an out-of-this-world adventure by launching him in a rocket!

Since I was doing #1, give a look at some other new vehicles from Hatay! Tired of the over-priced, under-detailed VW Kubelwagens from 21st Century and Minichamps, I finally procured a 1/16 model by Tamiya. Though slightly oversized the details were superb. (And maybe the figures would fit) The 'real' Kubel is barely seen in TLC, so I also made a 'fake' Kubel. Both vehicles 'star' in the comic, and Indy ended up driving the robust 'fake' VW since he would probably have broken the steering column of the Tamiya kit.

MDP78 had commented on how over dressed Indy looked when placed on a beach with lovely tropical breezes. So the idea came of a 'tourist Indy' figure wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts. In the end I had to keep the hat just to show it was Indy!

Well I am surprised #3 has not caused a stir. That really was Indy flying in that rocket! I did a test flight - everything OK.

Here's my 'test dummy'.

TIndy_239.jpg

However, the flight was not without risk. The only rocket I had that would accommodate Indy was the Estes Silver Comet. This is a 'D' engine rocket but at least its height would be limited by its size - it's a pretty big model rocket that reaches maybe 500-600 feet altitude.

Indy with 'chute.

TIndy_260.jpg

Packed for flight.....

TIndy_261.jpg

When a model rocket reaches apogee, a little black powder charge fires to eject the nose cone and parachute. Any contents in the rocket tube must wear protection from this blast! Here is TIndy wrapped up like a mummy with flame-proof 'wading' paper.

TIndy_262.jpg

And here is TIndy packed into the rocket tube!

TIndy_263.jpg

Now comes the actual flight - and here comes a walker with dog! Hold that flight. Don't want to have to circulate a dog-chewed Indy!

OK

All clear!

Launch! Set up camera... GO

NickTurner

Flight is perfect!

Recovery parachute for rocket is deployed!

Recovery parachute for TIndy is deployed!

Rocket lands as planned!

Where is Indy?

TIndy_229E.jpg

Indy is floating away on the breeze! If I was nervous before, I'm sh*tting bricks now! He is going waaaaaaay over the hills!

TIndy_232.jpg

Indy could land in a tree! A bog! Get lost in the bushes! A stream! Or float away forever! With heart pounding I take a sighting on a distant tree as Indy vanishes over the hill!

I set off. Climb the fence. Find the rocket.

TIndy_238.jpg

Continue...

Is that Indy?

TIndy_235.jpg

It is !

TIndy_236.jpg

And he's safe!

TIndy_237.jpg

OMG I can breathe again!

NickTurner

Got dragged out by the family to a track meet in Vallejo California, so I took Indy along anyway! (Corbus Field at Vallejo High School.) Front row seats!

TIndy_250.jpg

Of course, Indy could not resist seeing if he still 'had it'. After all, these High School runners are a lot safer than boulders or water! Looks like he's doing pretty well!

TIndy_251.jpg

I think I've had Indy long enough now, so it's almost time to hand over to 'Tash. Although I haven't gotten near SF yet, the 'Tash has it covered, and besides, maybe next week will bring a surprise. With Traveling Indy, you never know what might happen!

inky_skin

I tip my fedora to you Nick. Your time as host has been incredibly creative - it's been awesome to see your skills as both a customiser and storyteller showcased. And as far Indy reaching for the stratosphere - well, your cojones are bigger than mine ;) - all though adventure is Indy's byline. So - thank you for your tenure - it has been a worthy chapter in this ongoing adventure.

Please let me know what plans you and Tash are hatching as I'd like Indy back with me by the end if April.

InexorableTash

inky_skin said:
Please let me know what plans you and Tash are hatching as I'd like Indy back with me by the end if April.

We're aiming for a handoff next weekend. I'll kick the little guest out in 2 weeks or so. LeSab is up next and last, correct?

Stoo

NickTurner said:
Indy is floating away on the breeze! If I was nervous before, I'm sh*tting bricks now! He is going waaaaaaay over the hills!
Oh, man, too funny! That must have been a veritable cliffhanger in it's own right! Glad you found him safe & sound.(y) (On several occasions, I was very nervous about losing him in rushing water so I know how you felt, Nick!:eek:)

Anyway, like I said before, the rocket trip was a cool idea. It took his adventures to new 'heights'.(y)
InexorableTash said:
We're aiming for a handoff next weekend. I'll kick the little guest out in 2 weeks or so. LeSab is up next and last, correct?
Looking forward to see where you take him, Tash. (After LeSab, there are more hosts on the list but will there be enough time?)
inky_skin said:
The 6th of May will be the 2 year mark for Mini-Indy's travels. Does this mean that there will be no time for stops in Australia, Korea, Austria & Scotland?:confused:

inky_skin

Stoo - don't worry, its not a permanent recall. I have the opportunity to visit the sound stages at Elstree on May 5th and meet some of the production staff associated with both Star Wars and Raiders. Seemed like the perfect excursion for Indy and a great way to celebrate his second anniversary. His adventures will continue once I am done with him. All I ask is that he leaves the US destined for England by the second week of April.

NickTurner

inky_skin said:
Stoo - don't worry, its not a permanent recall. I have the opportunity to visit the sound stages at Elstree on May 5th and meet some of the production staff associated with both Star Wars and Raiders.

Of course! Silly me - I'd completely forgotten that. Can't miss that opportunity.

NickTurner

Stoo said:
Oh, man, too funny! That must have been a veritable cliffhanger in it's own right!

The thing is, my 'test dummy' landed a few feet away from the rocket. It was quite a shock when the rocket landed just like on the test flight - and no sign of Indy. He was waaaaaaaaay up there and seemed to be in no hurry at all to descend! I just can't imagine the reaction I would have gotten here at the Raven if he was lost! Visions of me making another custom and hoping no one would notice came to mind! Luckily, apart from a slight lingering smell of black powder ( :) ), he came out unscathed! (y)

NickTurner

Today Indy visits Treasure Island, and a building that should look very familiar.

TIndy_300.jpg

TIndy_301.jpg

If I press on those two fine specimens, a secret chamber opens up, right?

TIndy_302.jpg

TIndy_303.jpg

Ah the Bay bridge, leading to San Francisco!

TIndy_304.jpg

The street is appropriately called Avenue of the Palms

TIndy_305.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz off in the distance.

TIndy_306.jpg

Look over here!

TIndy_307.jpg

Whoaa!

TIndy_308.jpg

Indy contemplates the new section of the Bay Bridge under construction.

TIndy_309.jpg

NickTurner

Bye TI!

The 3 amigos!

Will the real Traveling Indy please stand up!

I liked TI so much I made a clone. Then MDP78 wanted one too! (OK, one has a different head. I made him when the real TI was in the Philippines.)

TIndy_311.jpg

TI and NT.

TIndy_312.jpg

Behind the scenes! How it's done :cool:
TIndy_314.jpg

Got to try out a whip, courtesy of Inexorable Tash :whip:
TIndy_315.jpg

Pose and hand off. Indy has moved on! Have fun Tash:D
TIndy_316.jpg

MDP78

Nick, I wish I can "like" that last edit pic hundreds of times. (y)

BTW, great sets from beginning to end. I totally enjoyed that comic especially leading to that rocket launch.

I had so much fun hanging out with you guys yesterday. And oh, thanks to Inexorable Tash for the whip cracking tutorials. :whip:

inky_skin

Guys...

Those last couple of shots illustrate everything I wanted this project to be - a means of bringing the Raven community together offline. Bravo.

Love the line-up of Travelling Indy and his dopplegangers. The original is looking a bit worn around the edges - but that's some real life weathering that speaks of the distance he's clocking up. Hey - it's not the age, it's the mileage - right ?

And who'd have thought that the Berlin Flughafen location from Last Crusade was in the US? That architecture just screamed "Europe" to me. How wrong can a guy be!

Tash - looking forward to your adventures with Indy. Just make sure he catches that ride back to me by the second week of April ;)

InexorableTash

Yep, Indy is now travelling along with me through the sordid streets of San Francisco. A big thanks to Nick and MDP78 for the get-together and the handoff. I'm glad you enjoyed the whip cracking lessons. (They were both naturals, mastering two basic cracks immediately. Nick also pulled off a nice "knock the fedora off your head" trick.)

I've got a checklist of planned locations and hope to string the photos together into a narrative so I won't necessarily be posting as they are shot. Inky: no problem. I'm giving myself two weeks, then either off to Le Sab or back to you, depending on how things go.

The little guy and I did go for a walk around my part of the city yesterday, and while I'm not ready to share everything, I thought Stoo would appreciate this one:

Indy on Indy by inexorabletash, on Flickr

Le Saboteur

InexorableTash said:
I'm giving myself two weeks, then either off to Le Sab or back to you, depending on how things go.

I intensely dislike the idea of being forced into somebody else's timetable despite the wonderful reasoning, so please send Indy back to inky for his tour. He can send him back this way at his leisure.

InexorableTash said:
I thought Stoo would appreciate this one

Just don't show him how bad the playfield looks these days! Though, I'm still surprised at how well the sound has held together in the, what, eighteen years now since its come out?