28 Weeks Later

oki9Sedo

I just saw this on DVD yesterday. I must say I'm very disappointed, seeing as I thought 28 Days Later... was very, very good.

First off, it has none of the human interest or heart of the first film, which is one of the things that set it apart from standard zombie movies, the fact that character development was front and centre.

Secondly, Robert Carlyle, who is Britain's answer to Robert De Niro, is completely wasted in this. You don't take someone of his talent and give him that little to do.

Thirdly, that famous music cue from 28 Days Later... thats now cropping up in trailers is over-used. They call that kind of music a "musical comfort zone", ie. a piece of music thats tempting to use alot, but which results in the impact of the music being diminished and a general feeling of lazy direction (eg. overuse of the Bond theme in Bond movies).

Generally very disappointing. Any thoughts?

deckard24

OKi, I posted a few days back but for some reason it was deleted? Anyways that's too bad to hear 28 Weeks Later is a letdown! Begbie is the man, and to waste his abilities is a shame. I'll still check it out when it makes it to video though. It's funny you mentioning Carlyle, because I was just watching him in his screen stealing cameo in Danny Boyle's The Beach recently.

deckard24

I finally got around to seeing this the other night, and though it wasn't as good as the first one, it wasn't awful by any means. I thought there were some genuine suspenseful moments in scenes such as Robert Carlyle's character spreading the virus through the crowded pitch black quarantine zone, and also towards the end of the film when they are going into the darkened subway with nothing but a single infra-red rifle scope to see through.

Also the idea that the Dad character (played by Robert Carlyle) was such a wuss that he left his wife to die in the farmhouse, set an interesting dynamic for the film in later scenes. I was waiting for more on how the virus had mutated, but maybe there leaving that for yet another film. After all the virus had spread to Paris by the time the end credits rolled, which sets things up for a part 3.

So all in all, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either.

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
I finally got around to seeing this the other night, and though it wasn't as good as the first one, it wasn't awful by any means. I thought there were some genuine suspenseful moments in scenes such as Robert Carlyle's character spreading the virus through the crowded pitch black quarantine zone, and also towards the end of the film when they are going into the darkened subway with nothing but a single infra-red rifle scope to see through.

Also the idea that the Dad character (played by Robert Carlyle) was such a wuss that he left his wife to die in the farmhouse, set an interesting dynamic for the film in later scenes. I was waiting for more on how the virus had mutated, but maybe there leaving that for yet another film. After all the virus had spread to Paris by the time the end credits rolled, which sets things up for a part 3.

So all in all, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either.

I agree, there were some suspenseful moments, but they relied alot more on all-out gore than the first film did.

I thought the dad's cowardice was a great idea too, but that idea was lost once Carlyle became a zombie 5 minutes in. The characterization of the first film just wasn't there.

I haven't heard anything about a part three yet myself, but yes the ending obviously sets up a third film.

shhimundercover

I also quite enjoyed this one as well. In essence, I would describe the entire film as one entire family's curse. The film opens with a sequence showing us what Robert Carlyle's character, Don, was doing 28 days after the initial outbreak.

To me, what the movie really delievers are just some fantastic apocalyptically beautiful scenes. However, the scene of the film I believe is of a tight-packed crowd becoming infected in one incredibly effective, claustrophobic and frightening sequence that brings home the terror. Instead of dealing with a small band of survivors, we get to see the effects of the Rage virus on an entire nation. You believe the plight of common people in the midst of pure mass terror and a nearly inescapable death.

The sound and music of the film is another highlight. It's silence, it's intensity.

28 Weeks Later is not without it's problems though. For one, it's structure feels odd or off. Unlike 28 Days Later, Weeks Later does not have a main character like Cillian Murphy or Brendan Gleeson. Instead, we are treated to sympathetic soldiers Doyle (Jeremy Renner) and Scarlet ( Rose Byrne).

Both Renner & Byrne are in reality the heart and soul of this film...and both of them capture brilliant performances. Renner's line relating to something like " It's all f**** up" simply captures everything we're thinking. I also love the scene where he finally decides to abandon his post after his ordered selected shootings of the infected don't exactly work.

And then there is Byrne. Well. Fine. I'll go there. Rose is amazing. She has such a natural beauty, and her eyes capture everything. For instance, watch that scene where she is describing how the Army is going to execute a code red. All bets are off. There is going to be no favors done for anyone involved.

Well done to Robert Carlyle as well. The beginning scene of the film, gets me pumped every time.

Generally, 28 Weeks Later is one of those rare sequels that can stand proudly next to its predecessor.

Perhilion

I liked this one better than the first one. Not too much shaky-cam and cheap cinematography that makes it look like they're running fast, even though they aren't.

adventure_al

I like both, they are entertaining films.

Carlyle is a great actor and The Beach is both a great book and film- Di Caprio is really good in the film. Most people write him off because of his poster-boy image after titanic but i think in the likes of Blood Diamond (which is a fantastic movie btw) he proved he is an accomplished actor.

Rhys135

I enjoyed the first very much, but not-so much during the last half hour. It was trying to hard to be something diffrent then.

Purchased 28 Weeks later, last month. Entertaining throughout, but not as shocking or fresh as the first. Ending was predictable but still had tht wow-factor, but it was a real shame that Robert Caryle turned into a zombie, too early for my liking.