The Jeffrey Boam 1995 script

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Interesting that they originally had Mac presented as much more of a Scotsman...

4597_1.jpg

Jonesy...I'm gonna be all right!

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Interesting that they originally had Mac presented as much more of a Scotsman...

Jonesy...I'm gonna be all right!

Now he would have been more convincing as a double crossing double agent.

KOTCS just went overboard with the scale of the cliffhangers, I mean this one was just unbelievable:

Laurel_and_Hardy__1_356367s.jpg

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Come on! In a world where magic like this exists:
300_1445924.jpg

How can you nitpick a stunt like that?!

I dig Indy in the wig disguised as Spalko. I'd forgotten that scene, when he had to fight off Dovchenko's amorous advances.

Montana Smith said:
I dig Indy in the wig disguised as Spalko. I'd forgotten that scene, when he had to fight off Dovchenko's amorous advances.
Harrison was cheated out of the Academy Award for that one...imagine putting on all that weight for a role!

Too bad the Scottish quotient dropped, but then again...Welsh/Scottish, just another form of mush mouth right? You end up saying more with your eyes...

JamesFinlaysonPublicityHeadshot.jpg

Dont tell Terry Jones though!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Harrison was cheated out of the Academy Award for that one...imagine putting on all that weight for a role!

He deserved the award for virtually carrying KOTCS signle-handed, and never losing sight of the character.

A real trooper, Harry. We - who are about to cringe before a possible #5 - salute you.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking for an old interview or article mentioned here:
In May 1998, Mr. Showbiz spoke with Jeffrey Boam about the rumored Lost Continent script. He said that he hadn't heard of anything called that, in fact, he was told not to place a name on the script he turned in two years prior and had not heard anything about it since.
No sign of it on the archived site.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Interview from 1996:
Shortly after LETHAL, Steven Spielberg called with the Holy Grail of writing gigs (so to speak).

“I forget what he said, but it was something like, ‘You wanna get real rich?’ and I said ‘Yeah, why?’ and he said, ‘I think you should do the next Indiana Jones movie’,” recalled Boam. “He said he had to talk to George because George didn’t know me from Adam. So a long time went by, and I actually put it out of my mind. Then Steven called me for some other reason, and I said ‘By the way, anything going on for the Indiana Jones idea?’ and he said, ‘I think George is going to call you soon.’ So I got a call from George and he wanted to meet me at Amblin. I went over there, met with George and got along real well and the next step was spending about two weeks with George working out the story for INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE.” The process proved to be very simple according to Boam. “Lucas had ideas for set pieces already in mind,” recalled Boam. “The whole thing in Venice with motorboards and the two hulls the motorboat gets crushed between was already in his mind. And what I brought to it especially was this whole Sean Connery thing. The father character had never been evolved. This was actually Lucas’ fourth attempt to do a third INDIANA JONES movie. There were two other writers who had kind of false starts, but nobody really tackled the father relationship or the father’s character, so that gave me a lot to work with.”

At the time of this interview (1996), Boam had actually done a couple of drafts for INDY 4 but said he couldn’t really talk too much about it. “George is very happy with the script and Steven is happy with it too, but the next step is to get Harrison on board,” Boam said at the time.

Dr. Gonzo

Independence Day came out in the summer of 1996...
and from whichever Crystal Skull documentary it was, we know that Independence Day killed the "earth vs flying saucers" aspects of a 4th Indy outing.
Though the thought that Boam had perhaps written an alternative idea for an Indy 4 film is intriguing, we can pretty much assume that Boam's drafts were indeed "saucer men" page one rewrites... and then the project was dead in the water for many many years.

Still would love to get my hands on a Boam or Nathanson draft... if anyone is thinking of a Christmas present for the doctor.

Udvarnoky

It hasn't and it's too bad, because we can't judge Lucas's flying saucers concept without it. The Jeb Stuart draft is valuable as a work-in-progress peek at the general idea, but since Lucas was not satisfied until Boam's final draft then that's the one we really need.

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
It hasn't and it's too bad, because we can't judge Lucas's flying saucers concept without it. The Jeb Stuart draft is valuable as a work-in-progress peek at the general idea, but since Lucas was not satisfied until Boam's final draft then that's the one we really need.

I find the 1949 date on the Stuart draft curious. I wonder if that was Stuart's idea or Lucas'? It's something I wonder since at this point Lucas had already shown Indy adventuring in the 1950s in the YIJC.

I wonder what it was about Stuart's draft that Lucas wasn't happy with.

Udvarnoky

Raiders112390 said:
I find the 1949 date on the Stuart draft curious. I wonder if that was Stuart's idea or Lucas'? It's something I wonder since at this point Lucas had already shown Indy adventuring in the 1950s in the YIJC.

Supposedly, the Jeff Nathanson draft also took place in 1949. I think the important thing to Lucas was that the story take place post-Roswell. Ultimately they chose 1957 to reflect the 19 years since the release of Last Crusade, which was set in 1938, but it certainly didn't have to be that way. Crystal Skull was the first Indy sequel in which the date was determined by the time between releases.

Raiders112390 said:
I wonder what it was about Stuart's draft that Lucas wasn't happy with.

We don't know the specifics, but apparently Lucas wanted Boam on the project from the get-go, but had to start with another writer due to Boam being unavailable. Here's Boam himself speaking on the matter in an interview from June 1995:

JB: “I’ve been working on a fourth installment of ‘Indiana Jones.’ I’m just about done with the first draft. Somebody else had also tried their hand at it, and it didn’t work out too well.”

They always keep coming back to you, Jeffrey.

JB: “It’s nice, you know. Actually, George Lucas came to me to do this first, and I was busy writing a movie called ‘The Phantom.’ So I couldn’t do ‘Indy,’ because I had to do that, and when I finished that, George came back to me and said, ‘It didn’t really work out with the other writer, are you available?’

Last edited:

JediJones

I'm looking for an old interview or article mentioned here:

No sign of it on the archived site.

The article seems to have been quoted in its entirety on Google Groups in June 1998:

Indy's Next Adventure?

Is that Indiana Jones on the horizon?
According to an item this week on the Ain't-It-
Cool-News Web site, the summer of 2000
could mark the return of Harrison Ford's
swashbuckling archeologist, who hasn't been
seen on the big screen since 1989. The site
reports that screenwriter Jeffrey Boam, who penned Indiana Jones
and the Last Crusade, the third installment in the popular franchise,
has finished a screenplay titled Indiana Jones and the Lost
Continent. Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks SKG, having just
partnered on the current hit Deep Impact, as well as director Steven
Spielberg's upcoming Saving Private Ryan, are said to be reteaming
for the fourth Indy opus.

Not so fast, says Marvin Levy, the spokesman for Indy director
Spielberg. "Jeffrey Boam is the one person who has been associated
with the project over the years, but the project's not on any list that I
have right now." Adds Boam, "I turned in a script two years ago, but
I haven't heard anything about it lately. And The Lost Continent
wasn't the title謡e do have a title, but [producer] George [Lucas]
wouldn't even let me put it on the title page."

One of the biggest difficulties in getting Indy before cameras appears
to be scheduling. Spielberg recently decided to direct Memoirs of a
Geisha, a fictional drama about a Japanese girl. That shoot is
expected to begin early in 1999, which wouldn't leave the filmmaker
much time to launch another Indy adventure for the summer of
2000蓉nless, that is, he's willing to shoot two movies virtually back-
to-back (as he did with Jurassic Park and Schindler's List). And
then there's the question of George Lucas' availabilty. Right now,
Lucas is a busy man himself, prepping a little Star Wars project for
release next summer.

I noticed this Q&A from 1992 where someone named David Simkin sent an answer to a question about Lethal Weapon 3 to Roger Ebert, and said he worked for Jeffrey Boam. So if we can track this guy down, he might potentially have some inside knowledge on the writing Boam did for Indy 4. Unless of course he strictly worked with him on Lethal Weapon 3.