Lincoln

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Yeah, you're right. More significant AND demonstrable than Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Nightmare on Elm Street 2010.

Come to think of it Prometheus has relevancy to Indiana Jones seeing as Ridley Scott directed it, he directed Harrison Ford in Blade Runner and you can make the final relevant link, right?

Bet I could do that with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Invention Of Hugo Cabret and Batman!

Nice one Nurse!:rolleyes:

And if Harrison gets that part in the Teletubbies movie The Raven's going to be the hottest site on the net!

WillKill4Food

Rocket Surgeon said:
Come to think of it Prometheus has relevancy to Indiana Jones seeing as Ridley Scott directed it, he directed Harrison Ford in Blade Runner and you can make the final relevant link, right?
If the (ever so slight) possibility of a fifth Indiana Jones film hinged on what projects Ridley Scott devoted his time to over the next few years, then yes. Since this Lincoln film comes from the same director behind the Indiana Jones films, I think this thread might be the target of misdirected criticism.

WillKill4Food said:
If the (ever so slight) possibility of a fifth Indiana Jones film hinged on what projects Ridley Scott devoted his time to over the next few years, then yes.
That's reasonable, though over the course of 62 posts you're only the third one to bring it up, and I'm the only one to ever respond to that "relevant" sentiment.

Then again, the "criticism" was never about any one particular thread, was it?

Seems like an unwarranted defense...

WillKill4Food

Rocket Surgeon said:
Then again, the "criticism" was never about any one particular thread, was it?
Fair, and there are certainly threads devoted to non-Indy films (and posters devoted to talking about non-Indy films) that might not belong at the Raven. However, if every or nearly every off-topic film thread brings about this same criticism, it might make it seem like all off-topic conversations are unwelcome.

WillKill4Food said:
...if every or nearly every off-topic film thread brings about this same criticism, it might make it seem like all off-topic conversations are unwelcome.
Without a doubt, if every or nearly every off-topic film thread brought about this same criticism it might make it seem like all off-topic conversations are unwelcome...it would.

Goodeknight

They filmed in Richmond, just a few hours from me. I did my best to email pics for their very last minute casting call for extras. I was dying to get a call back, but it never happened.

I actually figured that being in an Oscar winning Spielberg movie (just prognosticating about Oscar) would be a big step toward being an extra in Indy V.

I don't have a Civil War look, though. They were looking for people under 6'2", longish hair, and beards.

Oh well.

The Man

WillKill4Food said:
I wonder what kind of accent he'll do for Lincoln, who had a squeaky voice, from what I hear.

He certainly has the visage down...

618_movies_daniel_day_lewis_lincoln.jpg

Stoo

WillKill4Food said:
I wonder what kind of accent he'll do for Lincoln, who had a squeaky voice, from what I hear.
There are rumours of 2 phonautograph recordings of Lincoln speaking. A phonautograph was a French invention and a device that could record but not play back. However, with modern technology, phonautograms can now be heard.

This is a SUPPOSED recording of Abe delivering his famous, Gettysburg Address:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o3P8VgxcL4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hundreds of people have portrayed him on film but the voice that I grew up associating with Lincoln is from the animatronic figure in Walt Disney World's "Hall of the Presidents" attraction (the original verison by Royal Dano not the new one). "Was man meant to live for only a day? No....No."

Royal Dano even portrayed Lincoln on TV but he sported the Indy look in, "The Trouble With Harry":

220px-Royal_Dano_in_The_Trouble_with_Harry_trailer.jpg

Rocket Surgeon said:
Lets hope he does a better job on his voice than Costner did with Robin Hood...

...or Blanchett did with Natasha, I mean Irina.
Or George C. Scott as Patton. Have you ever heard the real Patton talk? Pipsqueak!:eek:

P.S. What the hell is this? Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012). Vampire hunter?!?:sick:

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
There are rumours of 2 phonautograph recordings of Lincoln speaking. A phonautograph was a French invention and a device that could record but not play back. However, with modern technology, phonautograms can now be heard.

This is a SUPPOSED recording of Abe delivering his famous, Gettysburg Address:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o3P8VgxcL4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds like an absolute bunch-o-crap fake from the first two seconds.

And FirstSounds.org says, "Did Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville record Abraham Lincoln's voice on a phonautograph in the White House in 1863? We often get asked about this persistent rumor. The answer: we have seen no solid evidence that such a recording session ever took place, and we can trace the rumor itself back only a few decades."
Full article: http://www.firstsounds.org/features/lincoln.php

Sounds especially fake when you listen to some actual phonautograph recordings on their site.

And I can't imagine anyone saying, "Just speak into the giant cone, Mr. President."
"Why? What does it do?"
"Well, it doesn't do anything, but they might figure something out in 2008."

Last edited:

Stoo

Finn said:
Hey hey hey. Don't judge it beforehand. The book is quite good, actually.

Remember, it's not illegal to steal ideas. Especially if they've slipped into the public domain ages ago. Sometimes the result is quite cool. And the Internet agrees.
Didn't know there was a book. Glad you enjoyed it but the concept is stupid (in my opinion). I clicked on your links and if I read the word, "trope", one more time, I'm going to puke almost as hard as I did when "MacGuffin" was the trendy, Raven buzzword.:sick:

Anyway, there are 2 Lincoln movies coming out next year! (More food for The Man.(n))
goodeknight said:
Sounds like an absolute bunch-o-crap fake from the first two seconds.

And FirstSounds.org says, "Did Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville record Abraham Lincoln's voice on a phonautograph in the White House in 1863? We often get asked about this persistent rumor. The answer: we have seen no solid evidence that such a recording session ever took place, and we can trace the rumor itself back only a few decades."
Hi, Goodeknight. It could be a fake (but an old one) since it sounds like it was recorded in a room and not outdoors. That said, the quote you refer to concerns the supposed, White House recording and not about the Gettysburg Address in Pennsylvania. Perhaps Lincoln repeated his speech (in the White House) at a later date, specifically for this recording? Who knows?:confused: It's a mystery that needs to be solved...
goodeknight said:
And I can't imagine anyone saying, "Just speak into the giant cone, Mr. President."
"Why? What does it do?"
"Well, it doesn't do anything, but they might figure something out in 2008."
Just saw your edit. Haw! Funny.:D But we really don't know what happened because we weren't there.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Didn't know there was a book. Glad you enjoyed it but the concept is stupid (in my opinion). I clicked on your links and if I read the word, "trope", one more time, I'm going to puke almost as hard as I did when "MacGuffin" was the trendy, Raven buzzword.:sick:
Suit yourself, oldtimer.

The difference between these kind of things and real turkeys are that despite these could be considered one kind of garbage as well, they're honest about it. They never even expect to be taken seriously, at least on face value. And that is the thing that makes 'em likable.

In other words, it's exactly as satire behaves.

Stoo

Yeah, man! Abe Lincoln kicks vampire ass!:rolleyes: Gimme a fricking break. I can just imagine the "other" movie. Vampire-huntin' Lincoln with a six-shooter in each hand, a cross hanging from his neck, a vial of holy water in his pocket and a spike tucked into his trousers. He is probably adept at Kung-Fu, too.

Finn, which of the 2 films are you anticipating more? "Lincoln" or the vampire hunter one?:confused:

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Yeah, man! Abe Lincoln kicks vampire ass!:rolleyes: Gimme a fricking break. I can just imagine the "other" movie. Vampire-huntin' Lincoln with a six-shooter in each hand, a cross hanging from his neck, a vial of holy water in his pocket and a spike tucked into his trousers. He is probably adept at Kung-Fu, too.
*Sigh* Despite me drawing a clear line between "good" and "bad" silliness, somebody still decides to ridicule the point by using the very same means I already condemned. <small>(Well, what can you expect from an old fart?)</small> Don't think Van Helsing, think Evil Dead with extra sophistication.

You sir, win 10 Internetts in Ignorance.

Stoo said:
Finn, which of the 2 films are you anticipating more? "Lincoln" or the vampire hunter one?:confused:
The former. I've already gone through the book with the latter and I have to admit, there's always the risk that they forget the satiristic parts in the process of adaptation to the silver screen.

The Drifter

Stoo said:

That sounds pretty damn appealing, in my opinion! Like Bubba Ho-tep with Honest Abe, instead of Elvis.

Stoo

Finn said:
*Sigh* Despite me drawing a clear line between "good" and "bad" silliness, somebody still decides to ridicule the point by using the very same means I already condemned. <small>(Well, what can you expect from an old fart?)</small> Don't think Van Helsing, think Evil Dead with extra sophistication.

You sir, win 10 Internetts in Ignorance.
Was your reply entirely clear, though?:confused: No. Please remember that I'm an Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.:p
Finn said:
The former. I've already gone through the book with the latter and I have to admit, there's always the risk that they forget the satiristic parts in the process of adaptation to the silver screen.
Good. Considering the general, superhero love here at The Raven, the vampire hunter flick will probably have greater appeal than the historical one.:(
The Drifter said:
That sounds pretty damn appealing, in my opinion! Like Bubba Ho-tep with Honest Abe, instead of Elvis.
Can you imagine Bruce Campbell playing Lincoln?:p

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Was your reply entirely clear, though?:confused: No. Please remember that I'm an Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.:p
Okay, I'll try again. There's no need to mock it, since it's already the thing doing the mockery, in loads. It's not stuff dictated by "Rule of Cool", it's a satire/parody of it. And if I might say, quite original in what it does.

And what is judging it as "stupid concept" after apparently coming across nothing but the name, other than ignorance?

Welcome to the new cultural reality, gramps.

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Can you imagine Bruce Campbell playing Lincoln?:p

It would get The Drifter's seal of approval. :D
But, on a more serious note - I have been looking forward to Spielberg's Lincoln ever since I first heard about it (which was right here at The Raven, surprisingly! :p )

Stoo

Finn said:
There's no need to mock it,
There is no "need" but it can be mocked because the idea is stupid (even if it's a satire/parody). What's next? George Washington: Zombie Killer!:rolleyes:
Finn said:
Welcome to the new cultural reality, gramps.
Farewell to the old, classic decency, punk.:p
The Drifter said:
It would get The Drifter's seal of approval. :D
Abraham Lincoln: "Afterall, I'm the president and you're the president's wife...last time I checked."