Tomb Raider: The Games

Trennas

I always hate those too (n) The worst thing is that a lot of games do those little "push the right button at the right time" gimmick, while I actually think it's more frustrating (because you usually have to do it over and over and over again until you get it right) than an addition to gameplay. I remember the end battle of God of War II, which took me nearly three hour until I got the sequence right.. Everytime you missed just one button tap, you had to start all over again :mad: Never been closer to throwing a controller through the window than at that time (y)

As for TRU, I think they kept the action scenes, but removed the precise button pushing from it, allowing it to feel more natural.. Won't be sure until I've actually seen it though..

And that T-rex was a real pain in the butt :gun:

O, went by one store today and they didn't have the game either.. Which pretty much leads me to believe that the developer pretty much pushed the deadline as far as they could and that the game was shipped at the very last moment, making the distribution somewhat problematic.. I'll keep my eyes open though; there are more stores to check :)

Benraianajones

Hedwig said:
Have you noticed the spiky things around the area? You should do the "Adrenaline Dodge" and make the T-Rex to hit the spiky things. There's a video of it on Youtube I think..
Performing the Adrenaline Dodge:
1) Shoot the enemy as long as the rage meter is filled.
2) Keep your weapons out and locked to the enemy, wait until the enemy dashes towards you and the screen blurs, and press "Crouch" button with the Direction you want to dodge.
3) A grey reticule should appear and when it turns red, press "Shoot".
You can find the instructions in the instructions booklet too.
I hope this helps...

First time I played it, I managed to hide in a corner and constantly shot the T rex or awhile til its health went, ha! Didn't know about the dodge at the time!

Trennas

That's another way to do it of course ;)

I remember I really hated that T-rex fight because I didn't really know what to do, or more that I got it wrong every time, but after progressing further in the game, the T-rex fight was actually quite easy.. Those Centaurs however; those are just gosh darn nasty :dead:

HovitosKing

Okay I bought Underworld for PS3 and after playing it for a few hours have just a few things to mention.

1. It is DAMN hard to play this game when you're constantly distracted by a totally hot Lara Croft in HD. wow.

2. The camera sucks, lots of issues with it losing views (not staying centered on Lara as she moves or climbs around) and objects occluding the view; difficult to control that but whatever.

3. Often glitchy, with Lara getting stuck on walls and spazzing out when trying to swim.

4. The sonar map sucks, I can't seem to get any useful info from it. Not really a big deal though.

Those are my only complaints, and number 1 is hardly a complaint at all. Still, so far it's a great game and I'd recommend buying it. lots of fun and totally worth the coin.

Indy Croft

I'm a big fan to TR series and i've been waiting for this since the annouce of release. But exam's comin up soon, I'll get it with Call of Duty 5 in Decmeber when exam's over. Right now I'm sticking with Emperor's Tomb. Can't wait to get it trailers were awesome!!!(y)

HovitosKing

Dead Space is history. Now that I've saved humanity from alien zombies, I can focus my full attention on Lara Croft. For anyone with a PS3 and a taste for survival horror, Dead Space is an instant classic. As for Underworld, I'm currently making my way through coastal Thailand. Amazing stuff.

Trennas

Glad you're having a blast with it! (y)

I myself will have to wait for a while longer as I'm a bit short on cash right now. Ah, student life.. it sucks (y)

Ska

Are there a lot of spiders in the game?

I hate spiders. I hated them in the Resident Evil series, Infernal Machine, and in Tomb Raider II.

Can't wait to get this game, though!

Trennas

Ugh, spiders, definitly one of the most overly used enemies when it comes to games.. right next to zombies, germans and aliens.. and they give me the creeps too :dead:

Finn

Staff member
SKAbatula said:
Are there a lot of spiders in the game?
I've run into quite a bit, unfortunately. Some REALLY big ones too.

As far as the game otherwise goes, it's been quite fun. Nothing groundbreaking, but a quality product nevertheless.

HovitosKing

Okay having played this game through to Southern Mexico, I just have to mention how incredibly frustrated I'm getting with all the glitches and technical problems. In addition to the camera issues and wall sticking I mentioned earlier, I'm experiencing frame rate issues, poor control response, and lots of similar bugs which make playing the game much more problematic than it should be. I think they have a nice concept here overall, but the technical problems make this thing really annoying. This is the only PS3 game I've played that feels like the developers rushed it to market without fixing obvious, glaring issues prior. Be warned.

Finn

Staff member
HovitosKing said:
Okay having played this game through to Southern Mexico, I just have to mention how incredibly frustrated I'm getting with all the glitches and technical problems.
I heard that PS3 version is very unpolished. On PC, I got a few odd crashes while manually saving the game (could also be that I used a nodvd file so I wouldn't have to keep the disc in drive) but other than that it was a very smooth ride.

Dr. Wolfwood said:
Well, does it have those frustrating millisecond-timing clickety-click episodes this time? If yes, I'll pass...
No, not a single button mashing event this time around. They do have a few "danger" moments however where the time slows down and you have few seconds (using regular game controls) to figure out how to get out of the predicament or Lara's going to perish in a rather cinematic way. But these are few and far between and never really involve much more than ducking in time or hopping on to the next ledge. A minor frustration with these sometimes however is the camera positioning (you know, to give you as dramatic angle as possible) which tends to mess up with the direction controls.

Trennas

if there really are that many technical issues with the PS3 version, I hope they will release a patch for it soon to make the playing experience more enjoyable.. Don't know when that will happen, but I'll keep my eyes open :)

HovitosKing

There really are that many issues. And I share your sentiment, I really hope a fix is released via Playstation Network. No reason that couldn't be done.

Trennas

it would actually be quite easy to do, at least so it seems. I have to say im quite content with the smooth and easy way that the PS3 updates the games and firmware.

I didn't have a lot of time to search for whether it has had it's first update or not; have been kinda crazy busy as of late, but i guess they haven't done so yet :( Makes me want to wait for the fixes even more before I buy it..

by the way; are any other PS3 owners in agreement that it's absolutely rediculous that there wasn't (and to my knowledge still isn't) a demo released through PSN? :confused:

Ska

Yeah I agree about the demo. I'd love to get a taste of it, although I'll still buy it eventally (if I don't get it for Christmas).

I've checked just about every day in the PSN Store for a demo, but to no avail.

Trennas

It's a real shame yes.. and it wouldn't even be so bad if I could play the demo on my PC, but well, the sucker is five years old by now and the requirements have changed significantly in that time. Not looking to upgrade or buying a new one until late next year, however, so I guess I'll just have to be patient with getting my hands on Underworld..

HovitosKing

Trennas said:
by the way; are any other PS3 owners in agreement that it's absolutely rediculous that there wasn't (and to my knowledge still isn't) a demo released through PSN? :confused:

seems like the ps3 demos are slow to arrive. for instance, dead space only just arrived as a demo about 2 weeks ago after i had already beaten it (and i didn't get around to buying it for like a month after its release). i wonder if they're working on getting the bugs out and then releasing it, or whether it's just not going the demo route at all