• Temple Of Doom

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • The Last Crusade

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

Temple Raider

First, don't get me wrong, I enjoy every IJ movie and there's not a single one I don't like or enjoy in some capacity. This poll is just simply asking which IJ movie you feel is the most overrated and tends to get more praise than it really deserves?

For me, even though I really like it and it's a classic, I definitely think The Last Crusade tends to be vastly overrated by many. I always felt the movie wasn't as good as the first two for it's much lighter and campier tone. I much prefer the darker tone and atmosphere both Raiders and TOD have, as well as how those two take themselves more seriously. The lighter tone, which paves the way for a lot of silliness, makes TLC seem odd compared to the first two. The action scenes aren't as exciting, the climax is disappointing compared with the first two and I think the villains are the least memorable of the series. I felt Donovan, Elsa and Vogel were a big letdown after the likes of Toht, Belloq and Mola Ram. And like other fans, I'm another that didn't like how Sallah and Brody were made so silly and useless. Sallah could be deleted from the movie and it'd have no effect on it.

I still really like TLC, don't get me wrong, but I can do nothing but disagree with fans who claim it to be the best or as good as Raiders or a return to form after TOD. For me it's always been in the shadow of Raiders and TOD, which I consider to be perfect, whereas TLC is great but not quite on the same level.

AnythingGoes

Ooh, first reply!

I went with the majority and chose Last Crusade. I feel there was essentially lots of hype for a film that was, when you boil it down, just a romp of a father-son tale/slash slapstick comedy extravaganza. Though I do admire Sean Connery as Henry Sr., I will always value LC as the least among the films.
And in other news, ToD reigns forever! {at least no one's voted for them yet.
:whip:

Temple Raider

I'm sure TOD will get some votes, eventually. It may not be regarded as well as ROTLA and TLC by most, but it definitely has it's fans and defenders (of which I'm happy to be apart of :cool: ).

The_Raiders

I had to go with TLC. I love the movie to death, but it is over rated. Trying to hard for the ROTLA tone, ya know? KOTCS is probably the most underrated. I'm not an advocate of it, but take out all the deep though us fans tend to put into it and you got a fun movie.

indyclone25

i voted kotcs, i think it being overrated was the wait from comic on 2007 to release in 2008 was like when lucas was releasing phantom menace , the biuld up was huge , and then you had people who liked and disliked the film . ( i don't want to get this started as a "i hate or i love'' debate ) :D

Darth Vile

Whilst Raiders is by far the best Indy movie, and one of the best ever action movies of modern times (IMHO) it's probably the only Indy movie where its universal acclaim/respect is probably not that reflective of its true artistic/technical merits.

Temple Raider

Forbidden Eye said:
To be honest, none of them.

If anything, Indiana Jones as a movie series is underrated.

I get what you're saying in a way. The series as a whole is somewhat undercredited when you take into account not every entry is universally loved.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Most overrated? Hah! Raiders by a landslide!

This has to be true, since when a film is deemed a classic it's forbidden to watch it without the rose-tinted spectacles on!

It's like seeing the Queen throw a bag of kittens in a river. You're expected to look the other way and keep silent.

Yet... Raiders was just so damn good!

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
It's like seeing the Queen throw a bag of kittens in a river.

Apparently she does that all the time. It's a problem she has... borne out of some Hanovian genetic disorder going back generations.

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
Apparently she does that all the time. It's a problem she has... borne out of some Hanovian genetic disorder going back generations.

1879310142_c6684d8505.jpg

:D

replican't said:
Um, because it's poo on a stick?

Indiana Pooh Sticks?

Indiana-Pooh.jpg

mikieson

Forbidden Eye said:
To be honest, none of them.

If anything, Indiana Jones as a movie series is underrated.
I have to go with this^^^...all 4 are wonderful movies that stand the test of time. AND are miles ahead of anything being put out.

Temple Raider

Raiders may not be 100% perfect but it's definitely a case of a movie where the pros far outweigh the cons for sure. Which is pretty much the case with any movie, the pros being more abundant than any cons.

Djd1

I can't really say Crystal Skull is overrated because like me, most of us don't rate it at all! I agree with the original poster that LC is by far my least favourite of the original three. Too much comedy and I thought the finale was rather weak. It has some great scenes but I don't find it a great film. Love Raiders and Temple is not far behind for me. Of course, CS has since made LC seem rather super....

Temple Raider

Djd1 said:
I can't really say Crystal Skull is overrated because like me, most of us don't rate it at all!

Exactly. It can't really count as overrated because of that. I had it in the poll for completion's sake to have the entire series there, though.