Disney acquires Lucasfilm

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Longish read in Business Week about Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm. I don't see anything revelatory, but there are some amusing stories.

Full article: How Disney Bought Lucasfilm -- and Its Plans for Star Wars
Amusing is right. These bits are the most amusing of the bunch:
Bloomberg Businessweek said:
Disney?s board asked Iger to take over. He was widely underestimated at the time?including by this magazine, which described him as a ?bland, scripted CEO? whom no one would call ?a big strategic thinker.?

---
The deal fit perfectly into Iger?s plan for Disney. He wants to secure the company?s creative and competitive future at a time when consumers are inundated with choices, thanks to a proliferation of cable television networks and the ubiquity of the Internet. ?It?s a less forgiving world than it?s ever been,? he says. ?Things have to be really great to do well.? Part of Iger?s strategy is to acquire companies that could be described as mini-Disneys such as Pixar and Marvel?reservoirs of franchise-worthy characters that can drive all of Disney?s businesses, from movies and television shows to theme parks, toys, and beyond.

---
What?s more, the success of the Pixar and Marvel acquisitions made it possible for Iger to hunt for more mini-Disneys. Lucasfilm was at the top of his list.
Understandably, the guy's job is to generate money for the company but Iger's "strategy" is completely uncreative and goes against everything the Disney name once meant.(n)

Way to go, Bob.:rolleyes: Walt's frozen body must be rolling over in his suspended-animation chamber.

Forbidden Eye

Come on Stoo...

...you have to at least give Iger credit for this. ;)

Or he could produce a television series about the early years of Indiana Jones, the swashbuckling archaeologist he created with Steven Spielberg. Unlike Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles were intended to be history lessons. In one episode, Young Indiana would befriend Sidney Bechet, the seminal New Orleans saxophonist, and learn to play jazz.

In the early 1990s, Lucas pitched the show to Iger, who’d risen from TV weatherman in upstate New York to chairman of ABC. They met at Skywalker Ranch, Lucas’s 6,100-acre property in Marin County, Calif. Iger had misgivings, but Indiana Jones was one of the most popular movie characters of all time. “I wanted it to work very badly,” Iger says. “It was George Lucas, come on.” Iger green-lighted the series and kept it on ABC for two seasons even as it failed to find an audience and solidify creatively. “It struggled,” Lucas says of Chronicles. “But he was very supportive of the whole thing.”

Stoo

Forbidden Eye said:
...you have to at least give Iger credit for this. ;)
I do, Forbidden Eye, but if ABC didn't pick the show up, another network probably would have...somewhere down the line. Even so, that was while Iger was at ABC, which is a whole different ball game from being the commander-in-chief of Disney.

Are you 100% on board with this acquistion?:confused: You're a Disney Dork, right? Before Bob Iger had control, the Disney-makers used to chance things & experiment but thanks to him, the company is now taking the easy street.

Bob Iger's "strategy" for Disney is: Let's BUY EVERYTHING so that we don't have to CREATE ANYTHING, ourselves!:rolleyes:

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Bob Iger's "strategy" for Disney is: Let's BUY EVERYTHING so that we don't have to CREATE ANYTHING, ourselves!:rolleyes:

He essentially stated such in a more recent article with Business Insider. Well, not exactly. He allowed some consultant flunky to state as much.

Jeff Gomez said:
"With Pixar, Lucasfilm and Marvel, more of Disney's key product is being developed off the studio lot and with greater autonomy," says Gomez. "This taxes the studio proper less than in the past, but pulls the focus to some of Disney's greatest strengths: marketing and distribution, consumer products and theme parks. You can expect these divisions to be bolstered in the coming months."

George doesn't look happy @ all in the accompanying photo.

If you haven't already noticed, LucasArts has been the first casualty of the acquisition. Disney gave notice to all 150-employees and shuttered the 31 year-old studio.

mouselayoffgraffiti-580x428.jpg

However, the infinitely more disturbing bit of news: Disney has gutted their hand drawn animation department! Yep! Two-dee feature animation is a thing of the past.

Again.

The Animation Guild said:
Ron Clements and John Musker are developing a hand-drawn feature that, if what I've been shown holds up, will look one hell of a lot different from Show White. The scuttlebutt I've heard indicates that Mr. Lasseter isn't as keen on greenlighting hand-drawn epics as he was a few years ago. But who inside Diz Co. could blame him? More than overseeing hand-drawn animation, John Lasseter wants to win. And he's probably made the judgment that creating hand-drawn features isn't a winning corporate strategy.

Cartoon Brew said:
According to former Disney animator Tom Bancroft on Twitter, Disney gutted their hand-drawn animation division this afternoon, and laid off nine veteran animators, including some of the studio?s biggest names: Nik Ranieri, Ruben Aquino, Frans Vischer, Russ Edmonds, Brian Ferguson, Jamie Lopez and Dan Tanaka. Two of the animators who still have jobs are Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn. The news of cuts in their animation division was leaked last week, but I, for one, did not anticipate that all these top animators would be let go. We?ve reached out to the studio for comment.

Full article: Disney Just Gutted Their Hand-Drawn Animation Division

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
However, the infinitely more disturbing bit of news: Disney has gutted their hand drawn animation department! Yep! Two-dee feature animation is a thing of the past.

Again.

The Animation Guild said:
Ron Clements and John Musker are developing a hand-drawn feature that, if what I've been shown holds up, will look one hell of a lot different from Show White. The scuttlebutt I've heard indicates that Mr. Lasseter isn't as keen on greenlighting hand-drawn epics as he was a few years ago. But who inside Diz Co. could blame him? More than overseeing hand-drawn animation, John Lasseter wants to win. And he's probably made the judgment that creating hand-drawn features isn't a winning corporate strategy.

Cartoon Brew said:
According to former Disney animator Tom Bancroft on Twitter, Disney gutted their hand-drawn animation division this afternoon, and laid off nine veteran animators, including some of the studio?s biggest names: Nik Ranieri, Ruben Aquino, Frans Vischer, Russ Edmonds, Brian Ferguson, Jamie Lopez and Dan Tanaka. Two of the animators who still have jobs are Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn. The news of cuts in their animation division was leaked last week, but I, for one, did not anticipate that all these top animators would be let go. We?ve reached out to the studio for comment.

Full article: Disney Just Gutted Their Hand-Drawn Animation Division

I might be wrong, but wasn't the latest Winnie the Pooh hand drawn? I think the above is far more tragic, than the loss of LucasArts.

Henry W Jones

:sick:
Pale Horse said:
I might be wrong, but wasn't the latest Winnie the Pooh hand drawn? I think the above is far more tragic, than the loss of LucasArts.

It is amazing and a little sad how just about everything becomes obsolete.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:
:sick:

It is amazing and a little sad how just about everything becomes obsolete.

"Dean Charles Stanforth: We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away".

Raiders90

It's the saddest thing that 2D animation and 3D can't seem to coexist, because I love 2D more than I'll ever love 3D. It's also a shame that Disney moved on from the grand visions and ideals of Walt Disney to just being a company that gobbles up other companies and acts as a publisher. I love Disney for what it was, and I love the films that have come out in recent years like The Avengers...But it isn't what it was even under Eisner in the '90s, much less under Uncle Walt's grand leadership.

I wonder, if Walt Disney could see the company bearing his surname today...Would he be happy with it? Or not?

Skywalker82

Reasons why Disney buying Lucasfilm is a good thing

I think Disney buying Lucasfilm is good, reasons:

Afterall Lucas felt like he was abused long enough by fans for the prequels, Indiana Jones 4, the tinkering of the OT, forgetting his promise to release the untouched with original trilogy on BD etc. plus Red Tails which was produced by him was a HUGE bomb in theaters last year and he calls it quits as he decides to retire from filmmaking and i think he made a smart move by selling his company and property to Disney.

Lucas had a friendship with Disney for a long time as he was one of the first kids to be at Disneyland when it first opened and he made those cool attractions based on Indy and SW at the parks especially Captain EO. Pixar was once one of his companies before Disney bought them in 2006 and i'm sure Disney will take good care of his company as he is now supporting his new family.

Afterall Disney did wonders with other properties they acquired like Marvel, Pixar, Ghibli and The Muppets and they also own ESPN and ABC which is nice. And they'll treat Lucasfilm/SW/Indy with respect like those other brands i mentioned.

Plus they hired GOOD writers especially the talented Michael Arndt who did the great screenplay to Toy Story 3 and a fine director for episode 7 who stated he is more SW fan than Star Trek fan as he is leaving ST for something he is more comfortable with. Lucas is out of the picture without his control and both Indiana Jones/SW are in good hands.

Plus we'll get SW/Indy/Lucasfilmland soon at Disneyworld which should be awesome and should come out 2016. Next we'll get some new SW toons with possibly a Indy toon (i can dream can i?) with new Lucasfilm stuff like maybe a Monkey Island animated movie.

And i hear SW 7 will be filmed in ACTUAL locations than all digital like the prequels and filmed on film rather than digital and will have LESS CGI but not too much but mainly practical effects (they did a comeback with Evil Dead remake) to be in the spirit of the old trilogy including a reunion of the original cast.

Soon Fox and Disney will join forces for a boxset in 2020 featuring the unaltered cuts now that they are out of Lucas's hands. Indiana 5 could be good too

micsteam

Just a heads up... Michael Arndt is out as a writer on SW VII it's going to be Kasdan and Abrams. All the new Star Wars plans for the parks are on hold for at least 1 1/2 -2yrs. There might be some small stuff but nothing revelating. :hat:

kongisking

Raiders112390 said:
It's the saddest thing that 2D animation and 3D can't seem to coexist, because I love 2D more than I'll ever love 3D. It's also a shame that Disney moved on from the grand visions and ideals of Walt Disney to just being a company that gobbles up other companies and acts as a publisher. I love Disney for what it was, and I love the films that have come out in recent years like The Avengers...But it isn't what it was even under Eisner in the '90s, much less under Uncle Walt's grand leadership.

I wonder, if Walt Disney could see the company bearing his surname today...Would he be happy with it? Or not?

I won't totally dismiss CGI animation yet. I mean, Disney's recent film Frozen did some jaw-droppingly gorgeous things with that format. Things that may not even have been possible, done in 2D. But I totally get your sentiment. The animation in films like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King is awe-inspiring for what they pull off in the limitations of 2D, and I dearly hope someday, audiences will openly clamor for that format to come back and stay...instead of begging for it only to not go see the first frickin' 2D Disney movie in years and thus make Disney go back to CGI. (damned frog...)

Le Saboteur

Largely unreported in the national press, earlier this year the 9th Circuit Court on behalf of the Department of Justice found itself deposing some of Silicon Valley's most celebrated personalities including Google's Eric Schmidt, Pixar's Ed Catmull, and... George Lucas. The reason: a massive industry-wide wage fixing conspiracy that suppressed wages for thousands of tech workers just when the tech world was really beginning to catch fire.

Steve Jobs would have been hauled into court, but he's dead. Fortunately.

Pandodaily said:
George Lucas believed that companies should not compete against each other for employees, because ?t?s not normal industrial competitive situation.? As George Lucas explained, ?I always ? the rule we had, or the rule that I put down for everybody,? was that ?we cannot get into a bidding war with other companies because we don?t have the margins for that sort of thing.?

Translated, Lucas? wage-reduction agreement meant that Lucasfilm and Pixar agreed to a) never cold call each other?s employees; b) notify each other if making an offer to an employee of the other company, even if that employee applied for the job on his or her own without being recruited; c) any offer made would be ?final? so as to avoid a costly bidding war that would drive up not just the employee?s salary, but also drive up the pay scale of every other employee in the firm.

Jobs held to this agreement, and used it as the basis two decades later to suppress employee costs just as fierce competition was driving up tech engineers? wages.

The companies argued that the non-recruitment agreements had nothing to do with driving down wages. But the court ruled that there was ?extensive documentary evidence? that the pacts were designed specifically to push down wages, and that they succeeded in doing so. The evidence includes software tools used by the companies to keep tabs on pay scales to ensure that within job ?families? or titles, pay remained equitable within a margin of variation, and that as competition and recruitment boiled over in 2005, emails between executives and human resources departments complained about the pressure on wages caused by recruiters cold calling their employees, and bidding wars for key engineers.

While the suit has largely focused on the tech giants -- Apple, Google, Intel, Adobe -- some new light was shed on the animation houses focusing specifically on Ed Catmull and Lucas.

Full archive of reading material here.

Ed Catmull said:
?Just this last week, we did have a recruiter working for ILM [Lucasfilm] approach some of our people. We called to complain and the recruiter immediately stopped. This kind of relationship has helped keep the peace in the Bay Area and it is important that we continue to use restraint.

?Now that Sony has announced their intentions with regard to selling part of their special effects business, and given Sony?s extremely poor behavior in its recruiting practices, I would feel very good about aggressively going after Sony people

The testimony has opened a bridge to major and minor Hollywood players like DreamWorks Animation, and specifically Jeffery Katzenberg, and even Disney is getting some unwanted attention. Especially unwanted since Bob Iger wants a massive expansion of the H1B Visa program.

REVEALED: Court Documents Detail Roles of Pixar and Dreamworks in Wage Fixing Cartel

REVEALED: How Sony Stood up to Steve Jobs' & Pixar's Wage Fixing Syndicate

Ed Catmull to Disney Chairman Ed Cook said:
?[Zemeckis] has hired several people away from Dreamworks at a substantial salary increase? every time a studio tries to grow rapidly, whether it is Dreamworks in 2D animation or Sony in 3D, it seriously messes up the pay structure.

?I know that Zemeckis? company will not target Pixar, however, by offering higher salaries to grow at the rate they desire, people will hear about it and leave. We have avoided wars up in Norther[n] California because all of the companies up here ? Pixar, ILM [Lucasfilm], Dreamworks, and couple of smaller places [sic]- have conscientiously avoided raiding each other.

??even raiding other studios has very bad long term consequences [i.e., higher benefits for employees, lower profits for companies and executives?M.A.].?

So George helped crush the union, saw the writing on the wall, and sold out to Disney. The Steve Miller Band said something about this.

Another wrinkle in the timing of why the sale may have occurred when it did.

Dr. Gonzo

^ Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating LeSab...

For the longest time I had my suspicions... Was ole' George keeping an illness from us? Bad news from the doctors? Maybe dark clouds of some sort on the horizon? Why sell?

This sounds like a very plausible contributory.

Le Saboteur

CG work (and movies in general) is going to get a lot more expensive, kids.

The wage theft scandal that has buffeted Silicon Valley has formally (and finally) spilled into Hollywood. Class-action law firm Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll have filed suit against such luminaries as DreamWorks Animation, The Walt Disney Company, Sony Pictures, and Image Movers Digital in Northern California District Court. San Jose to be specific. They join Pixar and Lucasfilm, the original conspirators, and three others as named defendants in the complaint.

Pixar's Ed Catmull remains a principle player, but several others are named including George Lucas and then Lucasfilm-president Jim Morris

The intent of the conspiracy was to suppress wages throughout the industry. As Catmull later explained under oath, his concern about “mess[ing] up the pay structure” was that it would make it “very high.” Lucasfilm’s then-President Jim Morris explained the goal even more succinctly in a June 2004 email to Catmull: “I know you are adamant about keeping a lid on rising labor costs.” In Catmull’s view, the agreements “worked quite well”—to the benefit of Defendants’ bottom lines, but at the expense of workers throughout the visual effects and animation industry.

Full article: Disney, DreamWorks, Pixar, Lucasfilm, & Sony Are Sued in Wage Theft Scandal

More reading: New Wage Theft Lawsuit Filed Against Hollywood Giants

Legal Filing said:
Lucas and Jobs’s deputy, Pixar’s President Ed Catmull, along with other senior executives, subsequently reached an express agreement to restrain their competition for the skilled labor that worked for the two companies. Pixar drafted the terms of the agreement and communicated those terms to Lucasfilm; both Defendants then communicated the agreement to senior executives and select human resources and recruiting employees. Lucas has stated in email that Pixar and Lucasfilm “have agreed that we want to avoid bidding wars.” He has also stated that the agreement was that “we wouldn’t actively try to raid each other’s companies” and that “we agreed not to raid each other” and “I think the part of the agreement is not to solicit each other’s employees, is the crux of it.”

There's a lot of damning detail in the complaint that'll have to be unpacked, but Lori McAdams, Pixar's current VP of Human Resources, reportedly sent an email to the named parties in '06 asking

Legal Filing said:
Quick question from me, for those of you who can share the info.

What is your salary increase budget for FY ’07? Ours is [REDACTED] but we may manage it to closer to [REDACTED] on average. Are you doing anything close, more, or less?”

tumblr_lvnv2yDG0q1qay934o1_500.gif

If you're really lucky, Lucas will be sporting prison blues soon. He'll have plenty of time to come up with a corker of an idea for Indy V.

You can't eat the sunshine.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Is this just some Harvard Business School tactic to justify outsourcing tech jobs to the global economy. Cause that's what will happen.