Band of Brothers

A

Aussie Jones

While watching Band of Brothers I realised that sometimes I idolize the wrong people. The actors must have a huge ego to play real soldiers from the 101st Airborne.

With movies like Indy it's alright because it's fiction and so much fun.

Katarn07

Oops, I asked about this in your SPR thread. I guess you have seen this.

Yes, it's great to have people appreciate what everyone did during WWII (not just Easy), but I also think of the actor potraying the real person rather than what they really look like. The reason for that being I've seen BoB more times than I've read the book.

Even action figures customized on eBay potray the actor. I've seen a Winters, Nixon and Spears and both had great resemblances to the actors, not the real guys.

blur

Well, to be frank, I think many of them would have just seen it as another acting job - and probably one tht would lead to better things in the future. I'm not sure ego has much to do with it.

Maybe if someone is lusting to portray Napoleon or Hitler or someone like that... then that can be construed as ego. But is it ego to play someone you probably hadn't heard of before reading the script? Hardly.

A

Aussie Jones

blur said:
Well, to be frank, I think many of them would have just seen it as another acting job - and probably one tht would lead to better things in the future. I'm not sure ego has much to do with it.

Maybe if someone is lusting to portray Napoleon or Hitler or someone like that... then that can be construed as ego. But is it ego to play someone you probably hadn't heard of before reading the script? Hardly.

I'd say that some of the actors do have huge egos. During the documentary Captain Dale Dye (actor from BoB's) remarks to the actors after their two weeks of training "You've earned the right to call yourself part of Easy Company now." The actors didn't object to the Captain's twisted logic.

sunshinestate1992

Band of brothers

I was wondering and pretty sure
have all of you ever seen Band if Brothers
its fairly popular and very fantastic. It is about the 101th airborne Easy Company

Deckard

I have had the tin Dvd set w/ all the episodes and extras for a few years now. Absolutely amazing. There is no other way to describe these men and what they did. Its almost all true. I reccomend this DVD big time and while your at it, pick up the book by Abrose. Its a great companion piece to what is IMO the best "look" at war ever filmed/told. (y) (y)

Michael24

My dad has the DVD tin box set and loves it, and has several books by Stephen Ambrose. He's a huge WWII buff.

I've never seen it, though. The idea of watching, what, a 10 hour(?) mini-series is kind of daunting. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to seeing it.

Deckard

Michael24 said:
My dad has the DVD tin box set and loves it, and has several books by Stephen Ambrose. He's a huge WWII buff.

I've never seen it, though. The idea of watching, what, a 10 hour(?) mini-series is kind of daunting. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to seeing it.

Just watch one a day. Also History Channel plays them all around Christmas time every year. And even tho its been out for like 4-5 yrs on DVD, i still see the commericals for the DVD every year. (Which is pretty crazy)

monkey

Just be careful watching stuff like this. There is a lot of hidden propaganda in it.

The true story of WWII may never be known, because of propaganda laden productions like "Band of Brothers", "Private Ryan", "Schindlers List", and numerous others.

I would encourage anyone interested in REAL, TRUE History to do research on their own, and don't just accept the Hollywood version.

Slick Hollywood productions go down easy. The truth is a bit harder to digest, but infinitely more nutritious.

sunshinestate1992

monkey said:
Just be careful watching stuff like this. There is a lot of hidden propaganda in it.

The true story of WWII may never be known, because of propaganda laden productions like "Band of Brothers", "Private Ryan", "Schindlers List", and numerous others.

I would encourage anyone interested in REAL, TRUE History to do research on their own, and don't just accept the Hollywood version.

Slick Hollywood productions go down easy. The truth is a bit harder to digest, but infinitely more nutritious.
yeah i have two great uncles who fought in world war two

one pacific one europe

both won combat infrantry badge
one got the purple heart
i have told u about my great grandfather of the yugosalvian army who was forced to fight , and risked his life becuase he would not shoot a jewish man who he was ordered to shoot by his german officer (when hitler invade yugosalvia he converted yugosalvian army into the german army).. He escaped with fake passports wiht the rest of his family who had already escaped.!!!!

deckard24

I just recently started watching the series, and man was I missing out!! I enjoyed the first 3 episodes so much, that I just ordered the box set from Amazon. So far I've just been amazed at the quality of the show. It has top notch acting, directing, cinematography, and production design! Not to mention one of the best scores I've heard in a while! I highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it!

The Drifter

I have had the dvd set for well over a year now, and I still have not watched beyond the second episode.

It is not that I dislike it; it's that I keep forgetting that I have the dvds!