• Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Drones33

Looking great gentlemen.

Major West, is that lambskin?

Dakota, that's a really nice fit you have there. Wrinkling up nicely too, did you give it the water treatment?

Drones33

Custom Raiders in goat after a couple of weeks wear. Looks a bit darker on these pics than it does in reality.

Specs; 40" chest
25"back
26.5" sleeves (to allow for wrinkle and shrinkage)
Silver zip
buckles
Hero pocket flaps

goat_1_by_00177840-dbh8xgr.jpg

goat_2_1_by_00177840-dbh8xi9.jpg

goat3_1_by_00177840-dbh8xk2.jpg

dakota

Drones33 said:
Looking great gentlemen.

Major West, is that lambskin?

Dakota, that's a really nice fit you have there. Wrinkling up nicely too, did you give it the water treatment?

Yes it's had a hot water treatment but using just a misting bottle with hot tap water to soak the jacket (not through to the lining though).

The jacket was worn wet until dry and I think the fact that the hide is the shrunken lamb, it had definately helped with drap and wearing in of the jacket.

The Wested Hero is just a superb jacket and I think if you can get the correct shade of hide (depending what Wested has in at the time of order) you can get a really SA Indy jacket.

Major West

You guys have any views a good cowhide leather for a winter jacket?

I'm thinking either Dark Novapelle or Brown Cowhide. Which of these two is the heavier. Warmer?

Drones33

I've only ever had distressed cowhide and dark brown novapelle as a winter jacket, but of those two I reckon the novapelle is a bit thicker and heavier, but not by much. ( although that may well have been the batches used at the time) However while the novapelle feels more substantial, and certainly warm with a jumper or fleece, I've found it to be fairly porous; gets wet through pretty quickly. No noticeable shrinkage though. It would need a coat of Pecards to make it a bit more rain proof.
I've never had brown cowhide,but I seem to remember a guy over at the Indy Lounge saying it reminded him of upholstery leather.
Must say though, the warmest leather jacket I have is a heavy duty lambskin A2. Very thick, extremely heavy, I can only comfortably wear it when the weather is really cold. Great leather. It's a shame Wested don't offer it as an option, it would work really well as a Hero.

Major West

Upholstry leather, that doesn't sound too good. You don't hear much about the brown cowhide in relation to these jackets. Maybe that's why. I want to get a good cowhide Indy jacket that I feel comfortable to wear in all weathers, so to speak, and offer a decent layer of protection. I do have a pre-distressed LC already, which is quite nice but I was thinking it would be cool to have a Hero Raiders in hide. Horse is out of the question, because I hear it's just too heavy and people don't wear them because of that.

I may look into other leather jackets I suppose, an A2 as you say.

Glenville86

I use a Wested horsehide for cold weather.

Also have a Wested cowhide that has a nice luster to it. Not thin at all but the horsehide is clearly the one I pick for the really colder days.

I have found with a fleece vest and colder weather office shirt, I stay pretty toasty in the cowhide and horsehide jackets.

Warmest leather jacket is a Aero HH with a micro fleece lining.

Glenville86

Major West said:
Does the Wested Horsehide have a texture or character to it, or is it quite smooth?

The Wested HH has slight grain but pretty much smooth. Would take years of wear to get character. Might be able to get it looking aged with the standard treatments. Thing about most HH is it takes a long time to get that look just by wearing.

I have an A2 US Wings in HH that they made the leather to age faster. They have a couple of them left on their sales page.

The Aero one I have is preowned and shows some creases but not much grain at all.....

I have an S&J Indy that is HH and this sourced leather has grain right out of the box. Not as stiff and smooth as the other HH I have owned.

HH is usually a great leather if you want a jacket to last and have a newish look to it for a long time.

Major West

I might look into those, thanks. I like the toughness aspect, but I've got enough jackets that look new. Still breaking them it, so part of me wants something that has a head start on it, or will have some hope of showing age by itself from wear. I hear the Dark Novapelle does this, but it's still quite a heavy hide.

Glenville86

I had a Dark Novapelle but passed it on to charity as I could not get into the leather. Nothing wrong with it but just not my cup of tea.

It was pretty grey when I got it. Did the Pecards treatment which made it more brown but not completely brown. The leather also had thousands of dark, tiny dots in it that bugged me.

It was a heavier weight jacket and came with that already worn look that people like.