Ep. 1: Curse of the Jackal

phantom train

Though I'm a fan/supporter of the YIJC episodes the way they were re-edited for the DVD's (at least for the most part), in the case of Curse of the Jackal, it's better to see this particular tele-film with the Old Indy bookends. Cutting this up into two separate episodes (as was done for the DVD's) really takes away from the powerful impact of this tele-film.

Since this original tele-film isn't widely available, I'm just glad I was able to see this when it was first broadcast on TV back in Spring '92.

AnnieJones

Indiana Jones Wiki:
José Gonzáles was played by Francesco Quinn in Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal. His role is credited as "Francois" though the character isn't named as such in the episode.

I wonder why it was done that way.

Ironically,his grandfather Francisco "Frank" Quinn,rode with Pancho Villa.Or at least that's what I read when I looked up his father Anthony Quinn.Although,Anthony Quinn denied being the son of an "Irish adventurer."

Francesco Quinn(the actor)is of Aztec,Mexican,Irish and Italian descent.

Btw,I love this line,it's so funny.
Indy: Didn't you hear me?I'll miss classes.
José Gonzáles: Gringo,in a few minutes...you'll miss more than classes.
Indy: If I don't get home,my father's gonna kill me!

Last edited:

Dig Site 1138

Stoo said:
Just before Indy says, "I don't know, I'm making this up a I go", one of his instructions to Sallah is, "Meet me at Omar's". Later, when the truck reaches its hiding place, above the garage door it reads Omar's Garage.;) Could the character from Tangiers be the same person? Who knows but since we dont' know what the 1936 Omar looks like, anything is possible...

OmarsGarage.jpg

This is one of my favorite bits of meta-film weirdness. In the 1981 novelization by Campbell Black, the reason for the destination of Omar's Garage and the reason why all the people around the garage are so helpful, is that the named-but-never-seen Omar is Sallah's brother-in-law.

This is sort of born out by the fact that Sallah borrows a car from his brother-in-law in TLC. Although, as I write this, I have to wonder why Sallah didn't just use his pick-up truck from ROTLA.

for more quirkiness from the novel, check out this page:

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark_%28novel%29

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
Ironically,his grandfather Francisco "Frank" Quinn,rode with Pancho Villa.Or at least that's what I read when I looked up his father Anthony Quinn.Although,Anthony Quinn denied being the son of an "Irish adventurer."
Wow. I did not know that he was Anthony Quinn's son! Now I can see that they do look somewhat alike. Thanks for the info, Annie.:hat:
Dig Site 1138 said:
...the named-but-never-seen Omar is Sallah's brother-in-law
While this isn't really the right thread, I recently discovered that Omar indeed can be see in the film!

As far borrowing his car, maybe Sallah's truck died out before 1938. Either that or it was in for repair at Omar's Garage.:)

Dig Site 1138

Matinee Idyll said:
Well, I'm gettin' so freakin' into the Chronicles at the moment... just watched Petrograd July 1917 this evening. As powerful now as it was when I first saw it about 10 years ago. Honest to Christ, I can't understand the venom directed at this show. I don't think I'm blinded by childhood nostalgia, but a good 3/4 of the programs were moving or funny, exciting and interesting (the rest were quite awful). I think it's the last truly great thing George Lucas has been involved in.

Anywho, for those few of us who like the program, I thought this'd be a nice way to remember the episodes, in the order they originally aired. Post your comments, reviews, pictures, whatever - let's start with what was the first, and one of the best, The Curse of the Jackal!

yij21qr.jpg

tyij56.jpg

tycal04.jpg

yij36t.jpg

Anyone?

I'm a huge fan of Indiana Jones and I'm also a fan of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I think the disconnect for many fans is simply this: The Chronicles, good as they may be, aren't much like the sort of adventure story we all fell in love with in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Now I know Indy didn't leap out of the womb cracking a whip :whip: and punching Nazis and I understand that the idea is to use the idea of his formative years to tell a coming of age story against the backdrop of 20th Century History but the show seldom feels like it has anything to do with the Indiana Jones we're used to.

Frankly, with all due respect to Sean Patrick Flannery (a fine actor) I never felt he looked much like Harrison Ford and never felt that he had incorporated any of Ford's mannerisms. It's one thing to let it slide with Cory Carrier, none of us is who we will be when we're 8, but Flannery always looks sort of sad and ineffectual. Compare his take on the character to River Phoenix's. Phoenix had the body language and facial expressions down pat. Even the cadence of Ford's speech. It feels weird that Indy would be so much like Indy at 13 and so little like Indy at 16-24.

That said, I have to say this particular episode (the original, two-hour cut including George Hall) has some satisfyingly Indy-like elements. To me, this is one of the best. Some of my other favorites include The Phantom Train and about 2/3 of The Peacock's Eye.

In fact, I am always considering buying this series on DVD... but I would go out of my way to track down Curse of the Jackal in it's original cut.

michael

So,

this past weekend I FINALLY started the Young Indy Chronicles. Got them all on dvd from amazon for a great price a while back, but have just yet to get into them. Been busy I guess.

I feel so relieved that I will finally be able to venture off into the part of this forum. Until I watch them all, I still won't feel like I belong in here, but I will start with this episode.

I'm not going to give an in depth review or anything, I really just wanted to point out a few things that caught my attention (in a good way!)

When I saw baby Indy, I was at a loss of words. There he is. That's Indiana Jones, he's gonna grow up to do all the things we've known he's done. I love looking at it that way.

Corey Carrier does a great job. I was skeptical, but he won me over when Miss Seymour asks his age, and he gives that turning look and says "Nine."

Ok. To me, that's the Indy that's going to rescue a village in India, that's the Indy that's not going to take no for an answer. That's the Indy that will always come out on top. I believe that was his first words (besides the narration) in the show? I could be wrong, but regardless, WHAT A WAY TO START.

So far love his Mom and Dad. Miss Seymour is wonderful.

When T.E. Lawrence tells Indy that his father's book is brilliant, I LOVE the quick roll of the eyes Indy does. It brought me right to their relationship in Last Crusade.

The music is wonderful so far.

I really don't have much to add yet, just really wanted to point out these things.

Like I said, I really like watching it, and picturing that this is the gonna be the guy from the movies.

I also love the fact that that I have uncharted Indy territory to visit. I'm gonna take my time.

**Edit:

I believe I said in a previous thread that I wasn't a big fan of the show. That's not to say I didn't like it or wasn't going to like it. Just that I didn't know enough to even be a fan yet. Just wanted to clear some confusion, for the one or two people who may have even read that. haha

Last edited:

Stoo

michael said:
I feel so relieved that I will finally be able to venture off into the part of this forum. Until I watch them all, I still won't feel like I belong in here, but I will start with this episode.
Welcome to the club, Micheal. Glad to see you've finally found your way.:hat: Without a doubt, this is my favourite Corey Carrier episode (but I prefer the original cut).
michael said:
When I saw baby Indy, I was at a loss of words. There he is. That's Indiana Jones, he's gonna grow up to do all the things we've known he's done. I love looking at it that way.
The parts with the baby & toddler were not part of the original broadcasts nor the VHS releases. They are 'new' and fun inclusion. Especially Indiana the dog as a puppy!

Nice comments and I'm looking forward to more of your reviews. As you say, "Uncharted Indy territory" for you! Enjoy the ride.:)

michael

Stoo said:
Welcome to the club, Micheal. Glad to see you've finally found your way.:hat: Without a doubt, this is my favourite Corey Carrier episode (but I prefer the original cut).
The parts with the baby & toddler were not part of the original broadcasts nor the VHS releases. They are 'new' and fun inclusion. Especially Indiana the dog as a puppy!

Nice comments and I'm looking forward to more of your reviews. As you say, "Uncharted Indy territory" for you! Enjoy the ride.:)
I will just say I never saw any of the original airings or VHS tapes. I should point out now, that when I do mention and make comments of the DVDs, I have nothing to compare them to. But I'm sure if I did see them before the DVDs, I would prefer the originals. :whip:

Indiana the puppy was adorable! Loved that because every time I watch the Last Crusade, when Indy runs through the house it shows "Indiana" barking with the Raiders March theme strings, I ALWAYS GET GOOSEBUMPS.

Stoo

@Michael: Noted & logged.;)

Re. Indiana the Dog: I love how the dog is present in all of Indy's pre-1908 adventures. They were buddies!(y) The DVD version cuts out the part where Indy hands the dog over to one of his friends just before he leaves on his world-wide trip.(n)

michael

Stoo said:
The DVD version cuts out the part where Indy hands the dog over to one of his friends just before he leaves on his world-wide trip.(n)

Blah! Say wha!?

I have a feeling there will be more falters like this to come. That scene seems essential to have! Ignorance was truly bliss here, I guess.

Tohtally Indy

This episode, and "Mystery of The Blues," are two stand out episodes for me. "Mystery," because of Harrison's cameo, and because I thought it was a great story, and "Jackal," because it was the very first, dealt with the mysteries of Egypt, has Lawrence of Arabia ties, and was a fresh new INDY EXPERIENCE!!
...but I have to say, there is one of thing that sticks out in my mind, and for some reason I hear it in my head to this day. It's at the beginning of the show, when old Indy is introduced. This class is on a field trip at the museum and two young punks decide to take off running through the museum only to be tripped up by Indy's cane. They fall on the floor, look up at old Indy, and in the worst piece of acting imaginable they tell old Indy to - "be cool man, be cool!"
Yeah, it's a little thing, but for some reason that delivery was, and is, like fingernails on a chalk board for me. It made me worry about the quality of the series for just a minute, but I'm happy to say that beyond that point the Young Indy series was very strong! I loved it!

Stoo

Tohtally Indy said:
They fall on the floor, look up at old Indy, and in the worst piece of acting imaginable they tell old Indy to - "be cool man, be cool!"
Yeah, it's a little thing, but for some reason that delivery was, and is, like fingernails on a chalk board for me.
Yeah, the acting & dialogue from those kids was really crappy.(n)
michael said:
Blah! Say wha!?

I have a feeling there will be more falters like this to come. That scene seems essential to have! Ignorance was truly bliss here, I guess.
It's a very, brief scene and remnants are still on the DVD version. (You can see the dog being held by the new owner when it barks and Young Henry can be heard saying, "Take care of Indy!" as he rides off in the car.)

Did you notice what is being sung by the Egyptian diggers when Indy & Co. first arrive at The Valley of the Kings?;) Fellow Raven member, Laird Malamed, was Assitant Sound Editor on the series and it was his idea. Gotta love it. BIG thumbs-up for Laird!(y)
Junior Jones said:
You can see a lot of these "deleted scenes" on YouTube at StooTV with the original narration.
Junior is right but I'd wait until you finish with the entire series before venturing into the Old Indy Chronicles. Simply because they're in broadcast order (with 1 or 2 exceptions) and not chronological so watching the bookends WILL DEFINITELY spoil things for you. Part 1 - Extended is the one to see for the extra/alternate "Curse of the Jackal" stuff but STOP WATCHING AFTER 08:04, otherwise you'll ruin a surprise that comes later on.:whip:

The Egypt bookends show how this episode ended differently. In the original, Demetrios doesn't get caught!

michael

Stoo said:
Did you notice what is being sung by the Egyptian diggers when Indy & Co. first arrive at The Valley of the Kings?;) Fellow Raven member, Laird Malamed, was Assitant Sound Editor on the series and it was his idea. Gotta love it. BIG thumbs-up for Laird!(y)

Yes I did! (y)

Kudos to Laird for that! My first reaction actually was this must be on the Raven forums somewhere!

I will also take your advice on watching Old Indy stuff after, too! Thanks! :hat:

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
I just listened to the latest IndyCast (#93) and heard that it was Laird's idea to use the Tanis diggers' song in "Curse of the Jackal"! How cool is that?!?:cool:
AnnieJones said:
Maybe Laird knows what their saying! Hey Laird,do you know what they are saying translated into English? If so could you please tell us?

I found out some of the lyrics to the Tanis digger song from Raiders.It's found at 1:33 in the video below.

Egyptian diggers:Salle ala anabe.(Translation:O blessings on Muhammad.)Even though they aren't actually saying Muhammad's name,they have different ways to mention the blessings of their prophet.There is a second set of lyrics in that song,but you can hear it better in Raider's than you can in My First Adventure Part 1(A.K.A. Curse of the Jackal Part 1) and I'm not sure what they are singing.It's either Shahida(pronounced shah-hee-dah) which means "True witness" or just "Witness" or they are singing Tauheedah which means "Believing in one God".My friend couldn't translate that part for me considering my friend couldn't hear that part.I'm still waiting for my other contact to get in touch with me on the second set of lyrics.I promise to update this song later.

Young Indiana Jones: The Curse of the Jackal Pt. 4
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tz4Bzwvsl7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

AnnieJones

I decided to make a list of Curse of the Jackal Part 1 and 2 locations.

About the list of the Curse of the Jackal Part 2 locations,a more complete version of the map is shown in Spring Break Adventure and therefore a more complete version of where his relatives live in this story.On the map it shows they went by train to Albuquerque(and in the show you can see that they met their relatives there)not Santa Fe.Albuquerque is south of Santa Fe,so I am to assume that because old Indy said,and the map later showed,that his relatives live in Santa Fe not Albuquerque,that their relatives most likely took a buss or drove a car the rest of the way home to Santa Fe.

Also,I noticed that the closed captioning in Spring Break Adventure on 01:06:34.José Gonzales says to Indy "Your first job tomorrow will be to pick up the weapons at the house".The closed captions with this sentence are off by one word.You can clearly hear him saying "Your first job tomorrow will be to pick up the weapons at Claw's house".As we all know Claw is the nick name of Demetrios.

On 12 and 13 of Part 2 of the list,according to Guerrero Municipality,Chihuahua Wikipedia,Vicente Guerrero is also known as Ciudad Guerrero.So,I'm pretty confident it's supposed to be the same place in the show.

List of Curse of the Jackal Part 1 Locations - May 1908
1.Princeton,New Jersey,USA(Map)
2.London,England(Map)
3.Oxford,England
4.London,England(Map)
5.Alexandria,Egypt,North Africa(Map)
6.Cairo,Egypt,North Africa(Map)
7.Giza,Egypt,North Africa
8.Valley of the Kings,Egypt,North Africa
9.Giza,Egypt,North Africa

List of Curse of the Jackal Part 2 Locations - March 1916
1.Santa Fe(the home of Indy's Aunt Grace,Uncle Fred,and Cousin Frank),New Mexico,USA(Map) - Evening of March 7th and afternoon of the 8th
2.Desert in New Mexico,USA - Afternoon of March 8th and morning of the 9th
3.Columbus,New Mexico,USA(Map) - Morning of March 9th
4.In the desert of Columbus,New Mexico,USA(where Indy was first captured). - Morning of March 9th
5.A town somewhere in Mexico(where Indy and other prisoners were to be executed). - March 9th
6.Northern Mexico - March 9th
7.General Pershing's Camp - March 9th
8.Pancho Villa's Camp,Mexico - Afternoon and evening of March 9th
9.Demetrios's(also known as Claw's)house,Mexico - March 10th
10.Cantina(also known as a bar)near a railroad in Mexico. - March 10th
11.Again General Pershing's Camp - March 10th
12.A train headed to Ciudad Guerrero,Chihuahua,Mexico - March 10th
13.A fortress in Ciudad Guerrero,Chihuahua,Mexico - March 10th
14.Again Pancho Villa's Camp,Mexico - Evening of March 10th
15.William Randolph Hearst's Hacienda,Mexico - March 11th
16.A town near Hearst's Hacienda,Mexico - March 11th
17.Desert in Mexico,with Remy. - Evening of March 11th
18.Back to Demetrios's(also known as Claw's)house,Mexico - Evening of March 11th
19.Again in the desert in Mexico,with Remy. - Morning of March 12th

List of Spring Break Adventure Locations Starting from Princeton - March 1916
1.Princeton,New Jersey,USA
2.Little Rock,Arkansas,USA(Map)
3.McAlester,Oklahoma,USA(Map)
4.Amarillo,Texas,USA(Map)
5.Santa Rosa,New Mexico,USA(Map)
6.Rancho Bajada Del Monte Train Station,Albuquerque,New Mexico,USA(Map) - March 7th
7.Santa Fe(the home of Indy's Aunt Grace,Uncle Fred,and Cousin Frank),New Mexico,USA(Map) - Evening of March 7th and afternoon of the 8th
8.Desert in New Mexico,USA - Afternoon of March 8th and morning of the 9th
9.Columbus,New Mexico,USA(Map) - Morning of March 9th
10.In the desert of Columbus,New Mexico,USA(where Indy was first captured). - Morning of March 9th
11.A town somewhere in Mexico(where Indy and other prisoners were to be executed). - March 9th
12.Northern Mexico - March 9th
13.General Pershing's Camp - March 9th
14.Pancho Villa's Camp,Mexico - Afternoon and evening of March 9th
15.Demetrios's(also known as Claw's)house,Mexico - March 10th
16.Cantina(also known as a bar)near a railroad in Mexico. - March 10th
17.Again General Pershing's Camp - March 10th
18.A train headed to Ciudad Guerrero,Chihuahua,Mexico - March 10th
19.A fortress in Ciudad Guerrero,Chihuahua,Mexico - March 10th
20.Again Pancho Villa's Camp,Mexico - Evening of March 10th
21.William Randolph Hearst's Hacienda,Mexico - March 11th
22.A town near Hearst's Hacienda,Mexico - March 11th
23.Desert in Mexico,with Remy. - Evening of March 11th
24.Back to Demetrios's(also known as Claw's)house,Mexico - Evening of March 11th
25.Again in the desert in Mexico,with Remy. - Morning of March 12th

Last edited:

AnnieJones

In Spring Break Adventure,when Indy and Henry,Sr. arrived at the train station in Albuquerque,there was a sign that read "Rancho Bajada Del Monte".I'm pretty sure it's a fictional place.None the less,I made it part of the list as "Rancho Bajada Del Monte Train Station".

Oops,on 9 of Part 1,I put Giza.I meant to put Cairo.

Updated 4/23/11

List of Curse of the Jackal Part 1 Locations - May 1908
1.Princeton,New Jersey,USA(Map)
2.London,England(Map)
3.Oxford,England
4.London,England(Map)
5.Alexandria,Egypt,North Africa(Map)
6.Cairo,Egypt,North Africa(Map)
7.Giza,Egypt,North Africa
8.Valley of the Kings,Egypt,North Africa
9.Back to Cairo,Egypt,North Africa(Mention only)

List of Curse of the Jackal Part 2 Locations - March 1916
1.Santa Fe(the home of Indy's Aunt Grace,Uncle Fred,and Cousin Frank),New Mexico,USA(Map) - Evening of March 7th and afternoon of the 8th
2.Desert in New Mexico,USA - Afternoon of March 8th and morning of the 9th
3.Columbus,New Mexico,USA(Map) - Morning of March 9th
4.In the desert of Columbus,New Mexico,USA(where Indy was first captured). - Morning of March 9th
5.A town somewhere in Mexico(where Indy and other prisoners were to be executed). - March 9th
6.Northern Mexico - March 9th
7.General Pershing's Camp - March 9th
8.Pancho Villa's Camp,Mexico - Afternoon and evening of March 9th
9.Demetrios's(also known as Claw's)house,Mexico - March 10th
10.Cantina(also known as a bar)near a railroad in Mexico. - March 10th
11.Again General Pershing's Camp - March 10th
12.A train headed to Ciudad Guerrero,Chihuahua,Mexico - March 10th
13.A fortress in Ciudad Guerrero,Chihuahua,Mexico - March 10th
14.Again Pancho Villa's Camp,Mexico - Evening of March 10th
15.William Randolph Hearst's Hacienda,Mexico - March 11th
16.A town near Hearst's Hacienda,Mexico - March 11th
17.Desert in Mexico,with Remy. - Evening of March 11th
18.Back to Demetrios's(also known as Claw's)house,Mexico - Evening of March 11th
19.Again in the desert in Mexico,with Remy. - Morning of March 12th

List of Spring Break Adventure Locations Starting from Princeton - March 1916
1.Princeton,New Jersey,USA
2.Little Rock,Arkansas,USA(Map)
3.McAlester,Oklahoma,USA(Map)
4.Amarillo,Texas,USA(Map)
5.Santa Rosa,New Mexico,USA(Map)
6.Rancho Bajada Del Monte Train Station(Fictional place),Albuquerque,New Mexico,USA(Map) - March 7th
7.Santa Fe(the home of Indy's Aunt Grace,Uncle Fred,and Cousin Frank),New Mexico,USA(Map) - Evening of March 7th and afternoon of the 8th
8.Desert in New Mexico,USA - Afternoon of March 8th and morning of the 9th
9.Columbus,New Mexico,USA(Map) - Morning of March 9th
10.In the desert of Columbus,New Mexico,USA(where Indy was first captured). - Morning of March 9th
11.A town somewhere in Mexico(where Indy and other prisoners were to be executed). - March 9th
12.Northern Mexico - March 9th
13.General Pershing's Camp - March 9th
14.Pancho Villa's Camp,Mexico - Afternoon and evening of March 9th
15.Demetrios's(also known as Claw's)house,Mexico - March 10th
16.Cantina(also known as a bar)near a railroad in Mexico. - March 10th
17.Again General Pershing's Camp - March 10th
18.A train headed to Ciudad Guerrero,Chihuahua,Mexico - March 10th
19.A fortress in Ciudad Guerrero,Chihuahua,Mexico - March 10th
20.Again Pancho Villa's Camp,Mexico - Evening of March 10th
21.William Randolph Hearst's Hacienda,Mexico - March 11th
22.A town near Hearst's Hacienda,Mexico - March 11th
23.Desert in Mexico,with Remy. - Evening of March 11th
24.Back to Demetrios's(also known as Claw's)house,Mexico - Evening of March 11th
25.Again in the desert in Mexico,with Remy. - Morning of March 12th

AnnieJones

I found out from Demitasse that the Egyptian digger's song lyrics are:

Salle/Pray or prayers
ala/upon
al-Nabi/the prophet

In other words what they are singing is "Prayers upon the Prophet".That would explain why my online Arabic speaking friend said(as I have posted on post #35)that the translation was "O blessings on Muhammad." Because even though they aren't actually saying the name Muhammad in that song,they have different ways to mention the blessings of their prophet.