Django Unchained

Dr. Gonzo

Forbidden Eye said:

Man that's too bad... I was looking forward to another collaboration between Tarantino and Kurt. While it's not a particularly big part, (about three minutes of screen time according to the script) I could really see Kurt playing the slave fight trainer.

I can't fathom who they will try and get. Ford would be interesting to say the least but I doubt he'd do it.

Dr. Gonzo

Django meets... Django?

django-desencadenado-nuevas-imagenes-7.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/badass-new-batch-of-photos-for-django-unchained-with-jamie-foxx/

Dr. Gonzo

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rC8VJ9aeB_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Gonzo

Indy's brother said:
To each their own, but this looks like a solid pass for me.

You know, the funny thing is the screenplay is pretty easily available on the internet... most of the things in the trailer read better on the paper. I'll probably end up seeing it but, based on that trailer, I'm a bit disappointed already. (n) But like they say, can't judge a film by it's trailer or book/cover.

Marshall2288

As much as I like westerns, Leo DiCaprio and Foxx I think i'll wait and rent this one. After Death Proof and Inglorious Bastards being big letdowns to me, I'm kina worn out on QT.

Pale Horse

Staff member
QT has lost his edge. Now, watching his movies is like picking up VHS for a dollar at a video store, hoping to find something unique, and in the end, all you get is really campy plotlines.

Indy's brother

Attila the Professor said:
Inglourious Basterds was phenomenal. I don't understand not wanting to see its follow-up.

I also loved Inglourious Basterds. But that doesn't make this film appear any less vapid. Just because it's a QT flick doesn't automatically make it good to me. I didn't care for Jackie Brown or Deathproof, for example.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Inglourious Basterds was phenomenal. I don't understand not wanting to see its follow-up.

Yep, with Christoph Waltz playing almost the EXACT same character. Way to go, QT.... :rolleyes:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
I also loved Inglourious Basterds. But that doesn't make this film appear any less vapid. Just because it's a QT flick doesn't automatically make it good to me. I didn't care for Jackie Brown or Deathproof, for example.

Valid, and I'm certainly no unvarnished Tarantino fan. (Yes, Pulp Fiction, but Inglourious Basterds is the only one I really love.) Still: it's a trailer, its own form. You can only tell so much, especially when dealing with a substantial director.

Por ejemplo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WI2AZb04HAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Gonzo

Hey Attila. Nice to see you around again.

Pale Horse said:
Yep, with Christoph Waltz playing almost the EXACT same character. Way to go, QT.... :rolleyes:

You know, that's exactly what I was thinkin' when reading Dr. King Schultz' dialogue. Quentin was writing that with Waltz and only Waltz in mind. It is tailored to his cadence and speech pattern. Literally a "Hans Landa part 2" role. Where's the fun in that?

Indy's brother said:

I have never been able to get all the way through Jackie Brown, so I can't speak to that but we're on the same page with Death Proof, its definitely my least favorite Tarantino film.

Trailers are indeed a whole different animal than the film though so I don't know, I was just already put off by the tone of that trailer... especially the music. When I think "Tarantino's version of a Spaghetti Western" I don't think of James Brown, ya know?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Por ejemplo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.coembed/WI2AZb04HAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who and what. Flash Youtube is blocked here.

Pale Horse

Staff member
You know, if Waltz had a swastika on his head in this one, I'd be more intrigued. Sort of like the Dualing Vega Brothers.

Indy's brother

Valid, and I'm certainly no unvarnished Tarantino fan. (Yes, Pulp Fiction, but Inglourious Basterds is the only one I really love.) Still: it's a trailer, its own form. You can only tell so much, especially when dealing with a substantial director.

Por ejemplo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WI2AZb04HAc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sure you are right, but I have yet to see The Searchers. I had it in my instant queue on netflix, but it was taken out of their streaming library before I got around to viewing it.

I couldn't wait to see Deathproof based on the trailer, and it sucked. Deathproof achieved exactly what it was supposed to though, I'll give it that: to be an homage to crappy films by being a crappy film itself. Nailed it.

Le Saboteur

Because it was Jewish fantasy writ large?

I realized about halfway through the first volume of Kill Bill that I had outgrown Tarantino's antics. So much so that I hadn't seen anything he did up until Inglorious Basterds, and wasn't overly impressed.

I'll see Django Unchained because I like the Western genre. That said, the tone of the trailer gives me great pause. The tone is off -- no, wrong. Enough with the retread of 70's revege/blaxploitation pictures.

For skeptics, and those who've written off the film entirely, Tarantino & unnamed guests will get a chance to earn your patronage (and disposable income!) with their Hall H panel at this year's Comic Con.

Comic Con said:
11:30-12:30 Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained— The Weinstein Company presents a sneak peek at the highly anticipated new film from acclaimed director Quentin Tarantino. Fans will get to see exclusive footage from Django Unchained and take part in a special discussion with Tarantino and the cast. You won't want to miss this! Hall H

I do like the Southern setting.

Django-Unchained.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
Because it was Jewish fantasy writ large?

It's cleverer than things I usually like, but the two key dialogue scenes, at the dairy farmer's and in the underground bar, are among the most thrilling things I've seen in a cinema. The language is the fun of it.

Joe Brody

It's cleverer than things I usually like, but the two key dialogue scenes, at the dairy farmer's and in the underground bar, are among the most thrilling things I've seen in a cinema. The language is the fun of it.

Great scenes. But if a guy names a film "Inglorious Basterds", it still would be nice if the movie was actually about the Basterds -- instead of really being a story about 1.5 chicks (Kruger and Laurent).

Django excepted, Tarantino recently seems to be primarily interested in coming up with a compelling female character and putting her in a situation. The Hell with the story. Kill Bill is his operatic western/martial arts epic written for Uma and Deathproof is his CBS Late Night Movie vehicle for Zoe Bell (who did stunt work on Kill Bill). [So I disagree with Indy's Brother on Deathproof. Deathproof isn't really meant to stand on its own and what it is, it is really largely a great showcase for Bell. If I can steal from Hemingway, Zoe Bell is much women.] And, as I said above, Basterds is more about the chics than anything (all Brad Pitt had to do was mug for the camara for three scenes and cash a check).

Looking back, I think these three films (Kill Bill, Deathproof and Basterds), designed to showcase the female characters, should be grouped together as sister films. Whether these Tarantino films showcase 'real' female characters is another question -- a question which my wife and I argue about all the time.

As for Django, am I alone in not knowing which to dread more: Dicaprio in Django or as Gatsby? (But if I'd have to guess, I'd say he'll be better in Django -- he looks like he's having more fun).

Last edited: