What's Harrison Ford doing these days?

Toht's Arm

Harrison Ford's age is the thing that worries me the least about Indy V. I honestly thought he brought his A-game to KotCS - it was the script, the cinematography and even Spielberg's direction that were the problem. So it's these things that worry me about the new film, not Ford.

Raiders90

Toht's Arm said:
Harrison Ford's age is the thing that worries me the least about Indy V. I honestly thought he brought his A-game to KotCS - it was the script, the cinematography and even Spielberg's direction that were the problem. So it's these things that worry me about the new film, not Ford.

The script and Spielberg's lack of interest were more products of Lucas shoving his vision down Spielberg's throat. The script was a messy compromise just to get ANYTHING release. With Lucas no longer in exclusive creative control over Indy, that's no longer an issue. Whereas from 1989 to 2007, if Lucas said "This is what an Indy film is going to be", that's what it had to be or it wouldn't be made.

WilliamBoyd8

He's out rescuing people.

SANTA PAULA, Calif. (AP)

Harrison Ford came to the real-life rescue of a woman who was involved in a car accident north of Los Angeles.

Santa Paula, California, police tell the Ventura County Star that the actor and a friend were in the area when a car rolled off a highway in the small town Sunday around noon. Senior Officer Matt Alonzo says Ford and the friend came to the driver's aid and acted as good Samaritans. He says Ford and other people on scene were able to help the woman out of the car. She suffered minor injuries.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Harrison-Ford-comes-to-the-rescue-after-car-12371442.php

:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
920x920.jpg

Raiders90

I wish Pale Horse would just come out and say he hopes Harrison would just kick the bucket. Would make him a much more genuine person rather than being passive-aggressively hateful.

Olliana

It'd be perfectly fine by me if he looked just like this in Indy 5. If only they would start shooting right now...

Raiders90

Harrison Ford doesn't look 75 to me. He looks like a man of no older than 60 in all honesty. If you did some makeup on him and some hair dye he could genuinely pass for 55 or so. My parents are 63 and they look much worse than him. What ages him is his lack of hair dye, and his instance on that stupid (hair) fringe. If he cut his hair to a buzzcut like he had it in the late 90s/early 00s he'd look much younger.

Someone with Photoshop skills smooth out some of the wrinkles and darken his hair here:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nQmeM9ohgF4/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gear

Raiders112390 said:
Harrison Ford doesn't look 75 to me. My parents are 63 and they look much worse than him.
[...]
Someone with Photoshop skills smooth out some of The wrinkles and darken the hair.

latest

It's ok. Let it all out.

... Not on me, but let it out.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
You can't edit live action, like you're suggesting.
Yes you can, actually. It's not the 1990s anymore. It can even be done without looking incredibly fake and *mostly* avoiding the so-called uncanny valley.

The issue is that it's still going to look very... different from everything else seen on the screen. Unless the rest is going to get similarly touched too.

Raiders90

Gear said:
latest

It's ok. Let it all out.

... Not on me, but let it out.

My point is that age effects everyone differently, and I genuinely think Harrison Ford looks fine for his age. Add makeup and some hair color and he'd look fine as Indy. I am also very anti-ageism, I think ageism is pretty despicable.

Finn said:
Yes you can, actually. It's not the 1990s anymore. It can even be done without looking incredibly fake and *mostly* avoiding the so-called uncanny valley.

The issue is that it's still going to look very... different from everything else seen on the screen. Unless the rest is going to get similarly touched too.

It depends how they approach it. I mean, Anthony Hopkins was de-aged for Red Dragon back in 2002 and even then, he didn't look uncanny valley-ish...Nor did they have to touch up the rest of the environment. We're getting to the point where entirely CG'ed humans (like in Rogue One) are beginning to look believable. I don't think a combination of (real) makeup, some light digital touchups would look too out of place, and I think it'd be just enough to make Harrison pass for a guy in his late 50s - mid 60s. I'm not saying he'd ever look 30 again. But he could easily with those tricks believably play an Indy film set at the end of the 1950s.

Pale Horse said:
TbyVyx0.gif

You can't edit live action, like you're suggesting

tumblr_o8ivmmtfIt1vpgqddo1_400.gif

I know you have this genuinely twisted belief (or something you're just trying to push to demoralize fans of Ford) that Harrison has Alzheimers and you use that gif any chance you get to push the image of him as "doddering old man"...But it doesn't work. Same time period, looks fine there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z dweller

Finn said:
I'm not sure, I don't think we're quite there yet.

In my opinion, both Princess Leia in "Rogue One" and the Rachael replica in "BR 2049" look puffy faced and patently fake, despite using the latest technology.
And those were brief and very static scenes.

A whole action movie? Forget it.
Plus, I really doubt Ford would go for it - particularly with Spielberg at the helm.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Disney's trying. To be sure. But like noted above, puffy and fake:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Jw7R4AwSQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raiders112390 said:
I know you have this genuinely twisted belief (or something you're just trying to push to demoralize fans of Ford) ...

I'm such a fan of Ford, I'd hate for him to taint his legacy to appeal to fanboy rose colored glasses. Act your age, I say. That's the highest honor.

IAdventurer01

Everyone always holds up Tarkin as the example to use. But as we're talking about some heavy digital make-up, I think Michael Douglas in the intro to Ant Man is a better comparison for what people are asking for and I felt was far more believable on-screen.

Personally, I think just a quality traditional make-up job is all that needed (or appropriate for a good older Indy adventure), but it could be done fairly convincingly.

Gear

Raiders112390 said:
My point is that age effects everyone differently, and I genuinely think Harrison Ford looks fine for his age. Add makeup and some hair color and he'd look fine as Indy. I am also very anti-ageism, I think ageism is pretty despicable.

I just found it pretty entertaining the way you worded it.

Harrison does look fine for his age. I think you gotta make peace with the possibility of his Indy days having passed. Had a good run, now onto the next chapter. I have my preferences for how things will proceed in the franchise, but I'm really just watching how it plays out. How it ALL plays out (here's looking at y'all). I do think that for the dignity of Ford and the next film, going to the extremes suggested here isn't desirable.

I have to ask; if you're against ageism, why the push to de-age Ford, dye his hair, etc?

Finn

Staff member
Z dweller said:
I'm not sure, I don't think we're quite there yet.

In my opinion, both Princess Leia in "Rogue One" and the Rachael replica in "BR 2049" look puffy faced and patently fake, despite using the latest technology.
And those were brief and very static scenes.

A whole action movie? Forget it.
Plus, I really doubt Ford would go for it - particularly with Spielberg at the helm.
Comprehension, please. Note what Raiders112390 actually requested. It was *not* a full digital recreation of an actor akin to Tarkin/Leia/Rachael, but merely using CGI post-processing to add some color and make away with a few crinkles here and there.

If they try to make an actor look decades younger and run with it for an entire movie - yeah, the tech's not there yet. But Raiders112390 didn't say that they should use CGI to bring Mr. Ford back to his heyday. What he suggested - right in that post above yours - is to simply shave off a decade or fifteen years max, to make him look roughly as he did in KotCS... and, well, that's doable. Mostly. Especially because there'll be scenes that require only minimal touch-ups because a lot can achieved by using clever lighting alone.

What I must say though is that I mostly agree with this because the target is appropriate for these kind of tricks. This is in the range of plausible because Ford does look good for his age. So a general rule this is not, that I'll give to the dissenters.

The real issue is that from a studio exec's POV, it's still going to be a heckuva lot of work to appease a small demographic of navel-gazing Ford fetishists who consider his performance sacrosanct. The movie's still going to rake in millions even if you just recast and limit Ford's role to scenes where he plays Indy closer to his actual age. Not that I'm going to complain if they go for the former option.

Face_Melt

Gear said:
I just found it pretty entertaining the way you worded it.

Harrison does look fine for his age. I think you gotta make peace with the possibility of his Indy days having passed.

Incorrect. Harrison Ford will star as Indiana Jones in the 5th installment scheduled for release in 2020.