The Rocketeer

ReggieSnake

Now here's one movie that I have meant to see for a while, but never have. I do know the music is great, though. A James Horner classic.

IAdventurer01

Ah, the Rocketeer - I was amazed when I went to college this year and so few had seen it. It's one of my favorite movies, right up there with Indy, yet severely underrated. I'm not sure it's a perfect movie, but it's so close you'd have to HATE adventure movies not to admit it is an excellent film.

Goonie

Deckard said:
<3

gifjenniferconnellyax2.gif

This post can't be expressed in words.
drooling_homer2.jpg

indytim

I remember years ago Kevin Smith (of Clerks fame) saying that it was the most perfect translation of a comic book to the cinema screen he had ever seen, as it stayed so faithful to the source material

Indy fan 235

James Horner's score is brilliant. You know, if you go to Epcot they play a piece of it at that fountain when you first walk in. My wife and I go to Disney every year, and whenever I hear that score I make her stop so I can enjoy listening to it.

It's great to see so many fans on here.

IAdventurer01

Indy fan 235 said:
You know, if you go to Epcot they play a piece of it at that fountain when you first walk in.

HAH! I KNEW IT! That piece of music had nagged me for years regard what it was until I rewatched the Rocketeer last year - on glorious VHS. ;)

DocWhiskey

It was on cable a few weeks back. I totally forgot about this film. I loved it so much when I was young. My theater still has the poster up in the lobby. I got to track down the DVD!

Indy fan 235

That is a great poster, I still need to get that.

This coming winter there is a biography coming out on Stevens. I can't wait to read it, I hope it has a lot of nice scans of his art.

Yeah, that fountain in Epcot is awesome, the music is from the scene when Cliff first tests out the rocket to salve Malcom at the air show. They cut the music shorter to be timed with the fountain show, but it's still cool to hear it in a Disney park.

Dig Site 1138

Personally, I really like "The Rocketeer". Admittedly, it's a little slow getting started. But come on, it's got a guy with a rocket pack, a cool art deco helmet, dames in distress, Nazi spies, gangsters, a nod to Rondo Hatton and Errol Flynn conspiracy theories, and even a big, honkin' zeppelin!!

What's not to love??

Montana Smith

Dig Site 1138 said:
Personally, I really like "The Rocketeer". Admittedly, it's a little slow getting started. But come on, it's got a guy with a rocket pack, a cool art deco helmet, dames in distress, Nazi spies, gangsters, a nod to Rondo Hatton and Errol Flynn conspiracy theories, and even a big, honkin' zeppelin!!

What's not to love??

I saw this in the cinema when it first came out - it was a second choice movie since our first choice had sold all available seats.

I hated it at the time. I remember being bored senseless and waiting for it to end.

I haven't seen it in years, but would probabaly enjoy it if I saw it now.

Indy's brother

Wel it's not a masterpiece, but I found it enjoyable. My favorite is Timothy Dalton's delicious turn as a villain. He really seemed to enjoy the part, and I've never liked him as a leading man anyway. His playboy/traitor/overall royal-bastard portrayal of the character was fun and pitch-perfect to my sensibilities:

daltonrocketeer.jpg

"It wasn't lies, Jenny. It was acting!"

Dig Site 1138

Montana Smith said:
I saw this in the cinema when it first came out - it was a second choice movie since our first choice had sold all available seats.

Montana, I have to ask: What movie was it you wanted to see?

Dig Site 1138

Indy's brother said:
Wel it's not a masterpiece, but I found it enjoyable. My favorite is Timothy Dalton's delicious turn as a villain. He really seemed to enjoy the part, and I've never liked him as a leading man anyway. His playboy/traitor/overall royal-bastard portrayal of the character was fun and pitch-perfect to my sensibilities

I think Dalton really shines in this flick. I also really enjoyed Paul Sorvino. I love when the gangsters turn on the Nazis because they may be crooks, but they're AMERICAN crooks! :gun:

emtiem

I loved it as a kid and there's still loads to enjoy. There are a few patches where not quite enough is going on, but the tone is right and it looks and sounds great. I really like the soundtrack, actually.

Stephen Jared

Nobody better ever say The Rocketeer is a bad movie in my presence. I love that movie. And, yeah, I love the soundtrack too. One of my best friends played the young nazi who falls out of the zeppelin. His line to Timothy Dalton, "You -- Actor!!" was improvised.

For me, of those retro pulp/serial films of the early to mid 90s, The Rocketeer stands above the others. I love The Phantom and Dick Tracy and The Shadow (the lesser of the bunch). But The Rocketeer is the best. Shame they don't make those kinds of films these days. Maybe Captain America will be similar.

Montana Smith

Dig Site 1138 said:
Montana, I have to ask: What movie was it you wanted to see?

I think it was Terminator 2.

Pale Horse said:
It was Robin Hood, followed by City Slickers

It wouldn't have been City Slickers, as I could never stand Billy Crystal.

We 'd already seen Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves another time, and remember rushing out the cinema before "Everything I do..." could play. (It was like the exodus from a cinema back when they used to play the national anthem!)