KOTCS fashion police

Indy's brother

Although the litany of KOTCS complaints has nearly run it's course, a new question struck me out of nowhere today. Every IJ movie besides Kingdom showed Indy in something other than his adventure gear and street clothes. In ROTLA, we saw Indy disguised as an Egyptian, and as a nazi soldier. In TOD, we were at least treated to his James Bond-like attire in Club Obi-Wan. In TLC, he got a necktie with his adventure gear, dressed as a ticket taker in the zepplin/derrigible/blimp, feigned a Scottish Lord, and once again, blended in as a nazi. In Kingdom, there was nothing new (that I can think of, or that stands out) in the way of mixing up his wardrobe. Please discuss.

oki9Sedo

Indy's brother said:
Although the litany of KOTCS complaints has nearly run it's course, a new question struck me out of nowhere today. Every IJ movie besides Kingdom showed Indy in something other than his adventure gear and street clothes. In ROTLA, we saw Indy disguised as an Egyptian, and as a nazi soldier. In TOD, we were at least treated to his James Bond-like attire in Club Obi-Wan. In TLC, he got a necktie with his adventure gear, dressed as a ticket taker in the zepplin/derrigible/blimp, feigned a Scottish Lord, and once again, blended in as a nazi. In Kingdom, there was nothing new (that I can think of, or that stands out) in the way of mixing up his wardrobe. Please discuss.

We see him bollock naked in a shower, surely that counts!

metalinvader

Well,He was wearing a detainee outfit during the FBI interrogation.....

Guess that's it.

Oh!
Don't forget Indy's B-day suit! (decontamination scene).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
We had an action scene w/ a tweed jacket and non-matching pants, which is a new outfit, actually.

I think I also recall reading that no-jacket, sleeves-rolled-down is a new look.

But then, these are variations on IndyWear (by Lucasfilm) and on his street clothes, so this don't quite count by your metric, I guess. (Which is fine.)

caats

and he had that nice suit + fedora when he met mutt. we actually didn't see the full Indy garb till decently far into the movie

The Man

Remember Mac's flop-cap from the poster? Does he wear that at any stage in the movie..?

Indy's brother

I guess that part of the reason that I noticed it at all is because it is fun to watch Indy do his "chameleon" bit with disguises. Usually it works for him, if only for a while. Wondering how well his ruses will work, and for how long has always paid off well. (Scottish lord notwithstanding, but it didn't bug me like it does other fans)

TheMutt92

The Man said:
Remember Mac's flop-cap from the poster? Does he wear that at any stage in the movie..?

Right at the start of the jungle chase. He thinks he gets shot, takes it off.

deckard24

How about Mutt and his sunglasses as seen in the toy line? As for Mac's hat, I'm gonna have to back and look for that, I don't remember it at all!

Yeah Indy doesn't really mix it up as much as he did in the other films, as far as disguises. If anything his lack of wardrobe changes is similar to TOD. KOTCS is more of a variation of the same outfit with no real significant difference.

In KOTCS I can remember him wearing his Adventure gear minus jacket in the doomtown sequence, his decontamination outift which made me think of The Fugitive interrogation scene the whole time, his professor gear w/bow tie, his suit, tie, and fedora while boarding the train, his full adventure get up w/jacket, and lastly his wedding suit.

Indy's brother

Attila the Professor said:
A non-matching jacket and trousers.
Yeah, what's up with that? His adventure outfit has much more fashion sensibility in the way of palette. He dresses better when less people are likely to see him. I kind of like how as he got older, his civilian attire got a just a little more square and tasteless, just like most people (especially teachers) as they age.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
Yeah, what's up with that? His adventure outfit has much more fashion sensibility in the way of palette. He dresses better when less people are likely to see him. I kind of like how as he got older, his civilian attire got a just a little more square and tasteless, just like most people (especially teachers) as they age.

And its odd, because the traditional tweed three-piece he's got going looks just as good as it always did. Same with the suit he's got at the wedding.

caats

well he's wearing the same kinda suit he did in the other movies. If we saw him in something like Club Obi Wan, i'm sure we'd see some style.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
caats said:
well he's wearing the same kinda suit he did in the other movies. If we saw him in something like Club Obi Wan, i'm sure we'd see some style.

He is in the classroom, yes. But there's no vest, and the pants and jacket don't match once he's on the train.

photo_03.jpg

It's not an awful look, by any means, but it's also far from the same as anything we've seen before.

Kooshmeister

Attila the Professor said:
Not a suit, actually. A non-matching jacket and trousers.

That's actually fairly common, at least it is nowadays. I'll have to go back through the films but Indy can't be the only one with pants of a different color than his jacket. Some people just like to shake things up sometimes while still maintaining a "business" look, what's "fashionable" be damned. Plus, Indy was, at that point, pretty dejected, so looking fashionable was the last thing on his mind.

Kevin

Indy's brother said:

What's wrong with his clothes in that scene of KOTCS? A tweed or worsted wool sportcoat with non-matching flannel slacks is a classic look (see any old Fred Astaire movie, or modern Ralph Lauren catalog).

If you are criticizing the colors, I think certain shades of brown and grey look really good together, and his outfit was a good example of this. Certainly an improvement over the black tie with his predominantly brown adventure gear that we saw in LC. I guess the only real fault that I can find is that his hat ribbon is black, while the slacks and shoes are brown. But overall, I think it was a nice look.

I must say, however, that nothing can compare to the navy double-breasted suit he wore in Raiders, that thing was beautiful!