Deleted scenes

michael

featofstrength said:
63238.jpg

I loled. :hat:

Stoo

Daley said:
Thanks Stoo! I've been visiting the Raven on and off for some time now (and I've seen you are the ultimate source for rare videos and trivia - so THANK YOU for that too!) - happy to be part of the forums now(y)
Believe me, I'm happy that you're finally part of The Raven, too. We need people like yourself...You're interested in talking about Indiana Jones! WELCOME to THE RAVEN, Daley!:hat:
Daley said:
In the Heroes & Sidekicks videos that were posted not too long ago, (I'm sure you noticed this!!) there was also another bit of behind the scenes footage that captured a brief exchange between Weber and Willie as she makes her way to the plane...
Will have to take another look. I trust you, though.
Daley said:
Thanks! I sortof cobbled it together from the "Bringing back a Classic" Featurette that I presume is on the Crystal Skull DVD (I found this clip on YouTube hence the poorer quality), and the introduction to Temple of Doom, found on the new DVD (in much better quality!) - that's why it jumps from cropped widescreen to fullscreen half-way through.
I noticed the switch between the wide & full screen. Nice editing, Daley.:hat: You've done a MARVELOUS job at preserving a missing scene!(y)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Great clip! Where did you find it? I have another I have to post with Harrison feeding/training an elephant...got to post it.:eek:
Please do, Rocket!(y) I'm one of the few who are interested.;)

Daley

Stoo said:
Believe me, I'm happy that you're finally part of The Raven, too. We need people like yourself...You're interested in talking about Indiana Jones! WELCOME to THE RAVEN, Daley!:hat:
Will have to take another look. I trust you, though.

Thank you very much indeed! :D

And the little deleted moment I'm talking about is RIGHT at the very beginning of the fifth video for Heroes and Sidekicks. It's a bit difficult to focus on what's being said on set due to the voice-over, but if you listen carefully (with the volume turned up a bit!) you can make out Kate saying: "It's always swell meeting a fan but I've got to run!" Then Harrison comes up behind her saying: "Thanks Weber, you've been a (unintelligible)! Owe you a gin!"

^Another deleted scene!

WillKill4Food

Col. Detritch said:
Kazim's death extended. This was originally to be an intense emotional scene for Elsa, where we learn a little more about her struggle with good and evil plus a more ruthless scene for Donovan.
Most of the time you can sort of understand why the scenes weren't included, but does anyone know why they left this one (and Pat Roach's role) out? I hope running time wasn't the only reason.

Daley

Rocket Surgeon said:
Its more of a behind the scenes shot...

Hey like I've said before, I'll take what i can get:p Plus I love behind the scenes film footage anyway so it'll be great:hat:

ATMachine

WillKill4Food said:
Most of the time you can sort of understand why the scenes weren't included, but does anyone know why they left this one (and Pat Roach's role) out? I hope running time wasn't the only reason.
I heard the Kazim extended death scene was cut because, originally, Spielberg intended to have an effect where Kazim dies in Elsa's arms, then sinks to the ground, leaving her covered in blood. They couldn't get the blood-transfer effect to work properly, though, and that's why the scene was cut.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure Pat Roach's scenes were cut simply due to running time issues.

Kooshmeister

ATMachine said:
I heard the Kazim extended death scene was cut because, originally, Spielberg intended to have an effect where Kazim dies in Elsa's arms, then sinks to the ground, leaving her covered in blood. They couldn't get the blood-transfer effect to work properly, though, and that's why the scene was cut.

This is a lousy reason to cut something, in my opinion. Firstly, it's kind of strange they'd have a big death scene like that hinge on the outcome of a "blood-transfer effect," whatever that is, and then, when that doesn't work, instead of changing their original idea and just having Kazim fall into Elsa's arms without the "blood-transfer effect," they scrap it completely.

That's some severe tunnel vision. What, Spielberg can only do something one way and when that fails, jettison the scene entirely instead of just trying something different? Even when that something different is the most obvious, low-tech solution ever?

Stoo

Transplanted from another thread (Why did George Lucas name his dog Indiana?):
goodeknight said:
Here's a bit from the Secret History of Star Wars (and the long page titled "In Tribute to Marcia Lucas"):

[edit - irrelevant info omitted]

On the subject of Indiana Jones, Dale Pollock provides an anecdote which demonstrates how Marcia's presence in her husband's life influenced his films in subtle but significant ways--in this case, changing the ending for Raiders of the Lost Ark:

"[Marcia] was instrumental in changing the ending of Raiders, in which Indiana delivers the ark to Washington. Marion is nowhere to be seen, presumably stranded on an island with a submarine and a lot of melted Nazis. Marcia watched the rough cut in silence and then levelled the boom. She said there was no emotional resolution to the ending, because the girl disappears. 'Everyone was feeling really good until she said that,' Dunham recalls. 'It was one of those, "Oh no we lost sight of that." ' Spielberg reshot the scene in downtown San Francisco, having Marion wait for Indiana on the steps on the government building. Marcia, once again, had come to the rescue."

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html
So somewhere out there, beyond the beyond, there is footage of the Washington steps scene without Marion!

emtiem

Gosh; it does seem hard to believe they shot the end of the movie without the bit where the hero gets the girl!

Wolfus

Hello! This is my first post here, so forgive me if this was already discussed somewhere... Also my english is far from good, so please, be patient ;)

There is one thing related to deleted scenes that bothers me a lot. In ToD is one "hole" between rescuing of slaves and shot where Indy picks up sledgehammer to hit "invincible" thug. In previous shot there is a lot of kids there and suddenly mine is empty. Thug appears and Indy is already crouching and attacking him with hammer instead of "normal atack". What is your opinion?

Stoo

Wolfus said:
Hello! This is my first post here, so forgive me if this was already discussed somewhere... Also my english is far from good, so please, be patient ;)

There is one thing related to deleted scenes that bothers me a lot. In ToD is one "hole" between rescuing of slaves and shot where Indy picks up sledgehammer to hit "invincible" thug. In previous shot there is a lot of kids there and suddenly mine is empty. Thug appears and Indy is already crouching and attacking him with hammer instead of "normal atack". What is your opinion?
Hi, Wolfus. Your suspicion is correct. The sudden disappearance of the kids is, indeed, due to a deleted scene that would've taken place between the shots that you pointed out. As previously discussed in posts #82-91 of this same thread: All the children escape over the lava pit on a wooden plank but it burns & breaks while Short Round is crossing. This forces Indy, Willie & Shorty back into the mine.

Raven newcomer, russds, made a recent discovery about this scene so hopefully he'll follow with his FABULOUS find. (If he doesn't, I will!):whip:

DeletedScenes_Doom_03-1.jpg

DeletedScenes_Doom_02.jpg

russds

Stoo said:
Raven newcomer, russds, made a recent discovery about this scene so hopefully he'll follow with his FABULOUS find. (If he doesn't, I will!):whip:

I will indeed. Thanks stoo. I had posted here: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=530624#post530624 this still photo:

tumblr_m55okbkRwU1rpdsnyo1_1280.png

Which shows Spielberg directing Indy, Willie, Shorty and slave kids across a bridge. This is most likely part of the deleted sequence showing the gang exiting over the lava pit, but as Shorty attempts to follow the kids across the bridge, the bridge burns, and forces the trio to excite using another route (the mines).

The super small clip (I really wish it were longer) can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zp59JBOTxI#t=8m55s

russds

Ok, I just watched this scene again, and noticed something very interesting. The shot right before the supposed deleted scene crossing the lava, Shorty is actually running out with the kids! Yet, in the next scene we see him with Willie as Indy is attacked by the main Thugee.

tumblr_m5ikyekWsg1rpdsnyo1_1280.jpg

IMO I think the scene works as is (obviously minus the mistake showing Shorty going too). I like how the kids seem to be 'countless'. If they were to cross a small bridge like that, it all of a sudden seems like there aren't that many. Also, to me it's believable that there are many routs out of the temple, which the kids would probably know about. The kids knew a good route, Indy and gang, unfortunately got narrowed into a less easy route (mine cars). That said, I would sure love to see the full scene. :)

Last edited:

Stoo

russds said:
Thanks, Russ. EXCELLENT addition to this thread! Even though the clip is only 3 or 4 seconds long, it's better than nothing and I'm glad that you've brought it to light. That documentary* isn't something I watch very often but this little bit has certainly slipped by me each time.

I wish we could hear what Spielberg is actually saying on-set. Unfortunately, his voice-over in the documentary drowns it out.:(

*Anyone who has the 2003 DVD box set can find this clip on the "Bonus Materials" disc.
russds said:
Ok, I just watched this scene again, and noticed something very interesting. The shot right before the supposed deleted scene crossing the lava, Shorty is actually running out with the kids! Yet, in the next scene we see him with Willie as Indy is attacked by the main Thugee.
Another GREAT observation! Way to go, Russ!(y) I LOVE THIS TYPE OF SH*T!

Stoo

Deleted Scene of Cairo Swordsman Available Soon!

Daley posted the newest trailer for the upcoming Blu-ray release (check out his post here) and it shows some unseen footage from Indy's fight with the Cairo Swordsman!:whip:

This will be the very 1st, proper release of an Indiana Jones deleted scene as it was intended to be shown. Most of us have seen the making-of footage of the part but this is BIG news for deleted scenes freaks!(y)

As the loveable Stimpy used to say, "I'm so excited, I can hardly contain myself!":D

JayDee

Another chance to see some eggs, Stoo (y)

I can hardly wait for the set to release. All I need then are "E.T." and "Jaws" on Blu-ray, and I got all the REAL classics of my childhood (including Jurassic Park 1 and the Star Wars OT) in excellent quality.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
russds said:
I will indeed. Thanks stoo. I had posted here: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=530624#post530624 this still photo:

tumblr_m55okbkRwU1rpdsnyo1_1280.png

Which shows Spielberg directing Indy, Willie, Shorty and slave kids across a bridge. This is most likely part of the deleted sequence showing the gang exiting over the lava pit, but as Shorty attempts to follow the kids across the bridge, the bridge burns, and forces the trio to excite using another route (the mines).

With a bit of magic dust...

Image33-1.jpg