My solution to the Staff of Ra problem.

agent5

Just stumbled onto this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents.
I have a call sheet from the Tanis Digs set and it states the props needed for the days shoot and a 7 foot staff is on that list.

spohlso

agent5 said:
Just stumbled onto this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents.
I have a call sheet from the Tanis Digs set and it states the props needed for the days shoot and a 7 foot staff is on that list.

Holy cow!!! Now MY staff is too tall!

Battleflail

I too had always gone for the calender theory for the stone. As far as the staff goes, maybe "take back" was the old man's way of saying that they should "add on"...
I know, kinda thin.

spohlso

Battleflail said:
I too had always gone for the calender theory for the stone. As far as the staff goes, maybe "take back" was the old man's way of saying that they should "add on"...
I know, kinda thin.

"add on" wouldn't jive with the Indy lie, "Belloq's staff is too long.."

Indydan13

Another case of "not shown in theatres".
Perhaps Indy and Sallah were both wrong. Perhaps while getting the staff, they went over what the old guy had said and realized thier mistake. Since the scene of getting the staff was never shown/shot, the world may never know...

Battleflail

So we're left with Sallah can't do math. Probably has something to do with the Kaddam to Metric to English conversion. "Let's see, carry the one that makes five; no six; wait..."

Ska

Don't know what that is, but...

what if they actually didn't find the real ark? What if the real ark doesn't kill people who look into it, but the "booby-trapped" ark does?

No? Well it's a thought anyways.

Finn

Staff member
Going a bit too far here... especially since equipping the wrath of god would be some booby trap. :rolleyes:

Indydan13

Using the booby trap would keep god from getting annoying messages (Radio for speaking to god). Maybe he was desparate to get away from odd yahoos...

Jordana

Sounds plausible.

God: Hmmm... *fills fake Ark with dust and a boobytrap*

Several millennia later, Belloq and assorted Nazis explode, melt, and get toasted.

God: Heh-heh. Suckers....

Alternately, maybe the staff really is just 5 feet high, and the Indy films are set in a parallel universe where everyone's hobbit-sized. Well, they were made by Spielberg and Lucas :)

Indydan13

Mel Brooks oughta make a spoof on that one. Brillian idea. I literally fell out of my chair on that one.

I just watched Raiders and i was thinking maybe this whole time, the staff wasn't too short, the hole it was placed in is too deep. We saw a little of the placement, but maybe it was drastic. I'm still for my "realized mistake during making of staff" theory though...

Jordana

Indydan13 said:
Mel Brooks oughta make a spoof on that one. Brillian idea. I literally fell out of my chair on that one.

*grin* All they have to do is sign Warwick Davies up to play Indy :)

Silas1138

A late reply!

Indydan13 said:
Does anyone even know what a kaddam is?

I know im 14 years late but....

1 kadam = 1/2 dirra
One dirra baladi was equal to 0.58 m
1 Kadam = 0.29m (approx 12?)

So yeah, Sallah was right!
Belloq?s staff was too long, as was Indy?s 👍🏻😃