Crusade or Skull? Which ends the franchise better?

Benraianajones

Some people still appear confused. I am not saying KOTCS doesn't exist and isn't the ending of the movie franchise, and The Last Crusade is. I am saying, which theme do you think seems a better ending for a franchise. I state TLC's because it tells you to appreciate life essentially and is a lot more wholesome I think- life, everything comes from life, even marriage - it gives you food for thought. It has a mysterious, adventurous and thought provoking ending, KOTCS's ending just seems a little simple - a marriage.

There isn't much to consider or think about concerning it - it is just Indy and Marion's marriage. Obviously, for KOTCS's movie, it makes sense, and it isn't this movie's fault - it can't do the same thing as TLC for the ending.

Also, as they do ride in to the sunset, and the theme comes on, and it changes in to thr Holy Grail themetune, you feel the epicness, not just visually, but as a theme - take life as it is and don't be greedy (in the movies case - after everlasting life). In KOTCS Mutt just stands there as people leave, it doesn't seem as much of an ending for a final movie (if it should be). Which is why I think it is somehow a shame KOTCS couldn't have been before TLC, because I do like the movie, but I don't think it's theme and moral towards the end is as wholesome or epic, and to me - at the moment - seeing Mutt just stood in the church as people leave, leaves me feeling a bit cold, and empty, as a final scene and "message" to the Indy Jones movie franchise.

Raiders90

Out of the four films to date, which has the better ending of the two?
I vote KOTCS. Last Crusade's ending is a little too overly cliched, with Indy literally riding into the sunset...A perfect "Hollywood" ending but a little heavyhanded in its message. Before Indy V was announced, I figured KOTCS would mark the last of the Harrison Ford films...As such I view KOTCS as the better ending. It brings the character full circle from the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

If you view the quadrilogy as a saga (which I tend to do), KOTCS is both a perfect epilogue and a good finale. This time Indy truly finally gets the girl. He doesn't come home with the golden idol or the Cross of Coronado, but with a much greater treasure. It works also as a perfect epilogue due to the time gap between Last Crusade (and Mystery of the Blues) and Kingdom - and thankfully, it ends on a much happier note than most other epilogues (such as the story of Robin Hood's demise) do.

DoomsdayFAN

Overlooking the overall mismatch between these two films for a second and going purely by the ending scene/last shot of both films, Indy finally getting married and walking off while still wearing his hat, as to point to future adventures, was nice but I don't see how anything can beat literally riding off into the sunset. As an ending, it doesn't get more perfect than that.

Indy86

Last Crusade, hello. It was fully wrapped. I love it when they get on their horses and the Indy theme begins going into full mode when Marcus says: 'Indy, Henry, follow me, I know the way! Haaaa!' The sun is setting, the curtain has fallen after three solid movies. It was perfect, but they couldn't leave well enough alone.

MaxisIndy

Crusade!

While I did like the KOTCS movie, I must say that because they made crusade to be the last Indy movie it was a better and more thought out ending to the trilogy (as it was at the end of crusade.):gun:

Pale Horse

Staff member
A picture is worth a THOUSAND words

spielbergblogathon_3.jpg

Randy_Flagg

I have to go with Crusade's ending for a few reasons...

1. The final shot of them riding off into the sunset was just so perfect for the franchise and for who Indy was. He was never portrayed as the marrying type, so ending the franchise with a wedding just never seemed right to me. He was, however, portrayed as an homage to classic film heroes, and the entire series had been built on homages to classic adventure films, and that's why literally riding off into the sunset worked perfectly... it was one final cliche/homage, done perfectly.

2. I understand people saying that they always wanted Indy to end up with Marion, but I don't think KOTCS set it up properly. The wedding just seems to pop up as fan-service, without really building their relationship before it.

3. The Indy/Mutt storyline doesn't get resolved in a way that's nearly as satisfying as the Indy/Henry Sr. storyline did. With Indy & Henry Sr, we see them gradually gaining a true respect for each other, and when Henry finally refers to Indy as "Indiana," it's a breakthrough moment in their relationship. Nothing like that happens between Indy and Mutt. So, as a finale, it's not satisfying, as there's no real sense of character resolution.

Of course, neither one is the finale now, so I'm really interested to see how Indy 5 ends things, as I have to assume that will be the final Indy movie with Ford.

DoomsdayFAN

Randy_Flagg said:
I have to go with Crusade's ending for a few reasons...

1. The final shot of them riding off into the sunset was just so perfect for the franchise and for who Indy was. He was never portrayed as the marrying type, so ending the franchise with a wedding just never seemed right to me. He was, however, portrayed as an homage to classic film heroes, and the entire series had been built on homages to classic adventure films, and that's why literally riding off into the sunset worked perfectly... it was one final cliche/homage, done perfectly.

2. I understand people saying that they always wanted Indy to end up with Marion, but I don't think KOTCS set it up properly. The wedding just seems to pop up as fan-service, without really building their relationship before it.

3. The Indy/Mutt storyline doesn't get resolved in a way that's nearly as satisfying as the Indy/Henry Sr. storyline did. With Indy & Henry Sr, we see them gradually gaining a true respect for each other, and when Henry finally refers to Indy as "Indiana," it's a breakthrough moment in their relationship. Nothing like that happens between Indy and Mutt. So, as a finale, it's not satisfying, as there's no real sense of character resolution.

Of course, neither one is the finale now, so I'm really interested to see how Indy 5 ends things, as I have to assume that will be the final Indy movie with Ford.

Last Crusade is my finale because I don't watch KOTCS with the OT and I sometimes prefer not to even acknowledge it.

Stoo

The title of this thread is stupid because "the franchise" is not "the movie series". :rolleyes:

Thus far, the actual ending is:
1993 October - Indy scaring kids at Hallowe'en (the last bookend to be broadcast on TV).

"Last Crusade" wins.

DoomsdayFAN

Major West said:
There's a forth film now mate, that ends the saga. Get used to it.

I too refuse to acknowledge that piece of junk. It's there, but that's about it.

Sankara said:
Once again: Why should we accept this embarrassing end? "Last Crusade" is the better movie and has the better ending.

Get used to it! :D

Agreed. Last Crusade is the real ending. When I do an IJ marathon, it's 1, 2, 3. That's it. I will not ruin a good weekend by ending it on a garbage film.