Deleted scenes

LaoCheRules!

All of the Deleted Scenes

Could someone compile a list of all the deleted scenes we know about, and the others that people just speculate exist?

I have noticed this site hasn't really been keeping up with the new additions.

Also, has anyone noticed a weird shot in the Re-release trailer on the DVD bonus disc. During that part where they show all of the villains, there is a man smoking with 3 others to each side of him. He nods and they all turn toward the camera. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it in the movie and I just don't realize it?

Michael24

That shot with the smoking man is just before the fight in the marketplace. The man with the cigarette spots Indy and Marion from the balcony, then returns inside and signals the others to attack.

LaoCheRules!

I figured it was in the movie since they put it in the re-release trailer, but I just never noticed it. Anyway, does someone have a list of all the deleted scenes?

What Truck?

A Few...

Well, I don't remember them all, but here's some off the top of my head...

From Raiders:

1. Sallah's execution = After capturing the Ark, the Germans decide Sallah should be executed. The task is left to a young german soldier who is ultimately unable to kill Sallah.
2. Truck stuck in mud = This explains in detail just what happens to Sallah when the Germans grab him while he's guarding the entrance to the map room. The rope is used to help get a jeep out of the mud, necessitating Sallah's improvisation with the German flag
3. Periscope = shot to show how Indy survives the trip to the secret Nazi base. He lashes himself to the periscope, which remains up for the duration of the trip.
4. Fight with Swordsman = the full version of Indy's showdown with the swordsman originally involved a sword vs. whip dynamic. Shots of this scene exist, but it was ultimately scrapped when Harrison became ill. Shooting him with a gun was a quick way to resolve this problem.

From Temple:

1. Willie escapes = in the finished movie, just after Shorty and Willie are ambushed by Thugee, you can see that Willie escapes. This scene would have been followed by a sequence where she returns to the palace only to discover that the prime minister is in league with the cult.
2. Cure for the Black Sleep = Shorty learns that fire is the cure for the Black Sleep of Kali Ma when he witnesses a jet of lava burn one of the Thugee, releasing him from the spell.
3. The children escape = this was a scene showing Indy, Willie, and Shorty building a bridge for the children to escape over the fiery chasm in the sacrificial chamber. As the last child crosses, the bridge catches fire and the trio are unable to follow. At this point, they return and escape through the mines as seen in the movie.

Henry and Indy arriving at Iskenderun Station. Also, a scene with Henry, Indy, Marcus and Sallah looking at an explosion caused by Donovan enroute to the Grail Temple.

I hope someday they'll decide to release a special DVD edition of the saga, with possibly all of the deleted footage from the first three films... maybe even remastered... boys, that would be cool. ;)

And... well... the original "making of " videos would be great collector's stuff, too. (y)

oki9Sedo

The Stranger said:
I hope someday they'll decide to release a special DVD edition of the saga, with possibly all of the deleted footage from the first three films... maybe even remastered... boys, that would be cool. ;)

And... well... the original "making of " videos would be great collector's stuff, too. (y)

Well those scenes were all cut out for a reason, so adding them might just be detrimental.

oki9Sedo said:
Well those scenes were all cut out for a reason, so adding them might just be detrimental.

I know... :) I was thinking about a release of the deleted scenes as an extra content for the DVDs, something like "special features" for an hypothetical collector's edition.
I don't need a re-edit of the original films with a recycling of the old deleted scenes... those movies are just perfect as they are now. ;)

oki9Sedo

The Stranger said:
I know... :) I was thinking about a release of the deleted scenes as an extra content for the DVDs, something like "special features" for an hypothetical collector's edition.
I don't need a re-edit of the original films with a recycling of the old deleted scenes... those movies are just perfect as they are now. ;)

Oh sorry. I think that would be great too, but Spielberg has always been against deleted scenes on DVD. He feels it takes away from the "magic" of the film, makes it seem less real and more like, well, a film.

LaoCheRules!

What about the Pat Roach situation in Crusade. I've seen that clip of Indy punching him, but was he also supposed to play that WW1 flying ace?

Grizzlor

The original Raiders making of/documentary was released on DVD right, in that Best Buy exclusive?

Spielberg simply, unfortunately, does not do audio commentary. He never has, and at this point, you have to think he never will. It's too bad, because an audio commentary of Steven, George and Harrison for all 3 (soon 4) Indy films would be awesome.

No Ticket

Grizzlor said:
The original Raiders making of/documentary was released on DVD right, in that Best Buy exclusive?

Spielberg simply, unfortunately, does not do audio commentary. He never has, and at this point, you have to think he never will. It's too bad, because an audio commentary of Steven, George and Harrison for all 3 (soon 4) Indy films would be awesome.

Never say never. Case in point... Indiana Jones 4. I had seriously begun to believe it wasn't ever going to happen. And here it is.