Vote on the 1957 MONTH of Indy/Marion's Marriage Day

What Month Do You Choose for the MONTH of Indy/Marion's Marriage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Indyologist

Stoo said:
Real life got in the way (in a big way). Can't vote on the poll because those options just don't jive, babe. :( To prove that the wedding was much LATER, here's some additional food for thought.

September 1957 Evidence for Connecticut Scenes:

Final Script Oct 2007: "A big banner tells us Homecoming is this Saturday." That would be September, right, folks? Despite what ended up onscreen, the college scenes were meant to be during the fall season.

Film: Jukebox plays, "Wake Up Little Susie" (Sept. 1957) in the background, followed later by the original version of, "Little Bitty Pretty One" by Bobby Day (1957). Apparently, this tune became a hit by the Thurston Harris version (Sept. 1957).

Film: "Vertigo" poster in background of diner scene. That movie came out in summer '58.

Prop: During the New Haven shoot, someone (Mitch Hallock / RaiderMitch?) posted a photo of a placard with the Marshall football schedule or something similar, clearly setting the movie during the fall. (If anybody knows what I'm talking about, please, speak up! It's IMPORTANT. :D)

Hey, 2323, nice to see you chiming in! You mention trees as proof of October when they're the exact opposite. :confused: During the bike chase, the trees are fully green and summer-like but the wedding has blossoming, spring air written all over it.

Love that little journal and have never seen it before! Thanks so much for sharing the link! :hat: It's wonderful, however, I put little faith in its accuracy (that's a whole other discussion). Sticking to just the wedding, it doesn't trump the "Greatest Adventures" book because the date is the same (and published approx. 4 years afterward). Was that it's source material or what? An October wedding doesn't match the film's visuals so, certainly, the actual movie trumps this half-assed bullsh!t. (n)

Like so many other dates in officially released stuff (Young Indy DVDs, anyone?), they weren't thought about carefully enough or are just plain, dumb mistakes. Heck, there's even a glaring mistake in this little, "Skull" journal. (n) Let's hope Leland Chee is eavesdropping on this discussion!

Man, oh, man! FINALLY, someone else who knows the rules!!! (y)

What do we do about this? :confused: The poll should be:

A) 1957 October - a freaky-weather-month in IndyWorld.
B) 1958 Spring - the officially published date is incorrect.

EXCELLENT proof/thinking here, Stoo my friend! Hope everything IRL is doing better for you...

Indyologist

Meant to say... after we decide on the month, we will then have another poll to decide on the DAY of their wedding in whatever month "wins." Whether in May or June, it will be on a Saturday. I'll print out 1957/1958 calendars for these months for myself...keep voting, people... and invite OTHER Indyfans to vote too, if you wish... can't WAIT for the final result/s!!! :whip:

Indyologist

Oops...

Indyologist said:
I MAY be letting this current "1957" poll expire naturally on Sunday...

Okay, okay, I made a boo-boo. I see now that voting for the month of Indy/Marion's wedding will end on Monday, 7/9 @ 12:59 AM. Whoopsy. Keep voting, people! Thanks! :hat: I see that so far, May is way out in front! A whopping 80%!

Indyologist

We Have A Winner-- May 1958!!!

Well, the poll is over and it looks like the winner is MAY! HOWEVER, you have all convinced me (very intelligently) that Indy and Marion probably got married in Spring 1958, so 1958 IT IS! So, we all can agree that Indy and Marion got married in Spring in MAY 1958! I will also go with what the "wedding invitation" states and assume they were married at 2PM. Our next vote in the next few days or so will be for the DAY in May 1958. I have chosen SATURDAY for their wedding day as Saturday is the traditional day to get married in the US. I have all the dates for all the Saturdays in May 1958 and will post them shortly with the Official poll. Thank you very much to all who voted (all, um, FIVE of you...WTF?) and helped make Indiana Jones HISTORY!!!

OldIndy2323

Well, I, personally, still disagree with changing the date from October 1957 (still a lot of reasons why it COULD be the "official" date: Indian Summer in late September keeping the bloom on the trees, historically, Oct. 18th 1957 WAS sunny and 67 degrees in New Haven CT, so the clothing matches, etc.) but without arguing the point further:

what happened in the 7 months in between?

And in picking a day in May, it would make sense to find the HISTORICAL last day of classes for a New Haven CT college and place the date on the Saturday afterwards. It would make sense for the happy couple to wait until the term was over. Indy's promotion taking effect at that point DOES make sense, rather than in mid-October, so I'll give you that.

One last point, and then I'll quietly withdraw all my objections (and Stoo should kick this one around), if we continue to keep the YIJC bookends as canon, Indy's daughter MUST be born during the spring of 1958 in order to be old enough to have a 16 year old son (Spike) in 1993. An October wedding would insure that at least one of the Jones' children was born in wedlock.

Indyologist

OldIndy2323 said:
Well, I, personally, still disagree with changing the date from October 1957 (still a lot of reasons why it COULD be the "official" date: Indian Summer in late September keeping the bloom on the trees, historically, Oct. 18th 1957 WAS sunny and 67 degrees in New Haven CT, so the clothing matches, etc.) but without arguing the point further:

And in picking a day in May, it would make sense to find the HISTORICAL last day of classes for a New Haven CT college and place the date on the Saturday afterwards. It would make sense for the happy couple to wait until the term was over. Indy's promotion taking effect at that point DOES make sense, rather than in mid-October, so I'll give you that.

One last point, and then I'll quietly withdraw all my objections (and Stoo should kick this one around), if we continue to keep the YIJC bookends as canon, Indy's daughter MUST be born during the spring of 1958 in order to be old enough to have a 16 year old son (Spike) in 1993. An October wedding would insure that at least one of the Jones' children was born in wedlock.

Hm. Damn interesting. I'm not that familar with YIJC (some "indyologist," eh?) and I knew that he eventually had a daughter. What was the girl's name? Did she have red hair? And Marion was the mother? So Indy did eventually marry Marion, according to YIJC? Did older Indy mention in YIJC that Marion was the girl's mother? Does YIJC specifically mention Marion as Indy's wife? If this is so, then WOW, didn't know that! If all this is true, why didn't you bring this information up before or while the voting for this was going on? And oh, BTW, the wedding, according to the "invitation," was in Bedford at St. Martin's church. I think Marshall College is in New Haven, correct? Also, I don't know what college schedules were like in 1957/58, but when I went to college (Buffalo State), the fall semester began in August and ended in May. Just sayin'.

Stoo

Indyologist said:
I'm not that familar with YIJC
Hi, again. There are already a number of threads about the daughter so here's a quick version:

What was the girl's name? No name. (We call her, Susan, after the actress.)
Did she have red hair? YES!
And Marion was the mother? Unknown.
So Indy did eventually marry Marion, according to YIJC? Unknown.
Did older Indy mention in YIJC that Marion was the girl's mother? No.
Does YIJC specifically mention Marion as Indy's wife? No.

Indyologist said:
...the wedding, according to the "invitation," was in Bedford at St. Martin's church. I think Marshall College is in New Haven, correct?
Marshall is in Bedford. (Its exteriors for Indy 4 were filmed in New Haven.)

Speaking of the invitation, it uses the proper, Queen's English spelling of the word, "honour".

Indyologist

Stoo said:
Hi, again. There are already a number of threads about the daughter so here's a quick version:

What was the girl's name? No name. (We call her, Susan, after the actress.)
Did she have red hair? YES!
And Marion was the mother? Unknown.
So Indy did eventually marry Marion, according to YIJC? Unknown.
Did older Indy mention in YIJC that Marion was the girl's mother? No.
Does YIJC specifically mention Marion as Indy's wife? No.

Marshall is in Bedford. (Its exteriors for Indy 4 were filmed in New Haven.)

Speaking of the invitation, it uses the proper, Queen's English spelling of the word, "honour".

Great, Stoo honey. Thanks for clearing the whole "was Marion this girl's mother/was Marion specifically mentioned as Indy's wife in YIJC" issue. So the fact that they probably got married in May 1958 is most likely the legitimate pick. I am greatly relieved. Thank you, dear! I will be posting the second Official Post Re: the date sometime this coming weekend. Stay tuned, Raveners/Ravenettes!

Raiders90

OldIndy2323 said:

I imagine in the seven months between the end of the adventure and the wedding, the credibility of Oxley and witness testimony from Marion and Mutt are able to clear Indy of being a suspected communist, which allows for his reinstatement at Marshall and appointment to the position of Assistant Dean. The meetings with the bureaucracy and such to clear him could take months, plus the FBI doing their own investigation to verify facts. They wouldn't be able to come up with much except that Irina Spalko, George McHale and a whole legion of Soviet saboteurs disappeared and are presumed dead after being with Indy, which could've been enough to clear him (having character witnesses like Oxley, Marion, Charlie, and General Ross would help as well).