Customizing Indy Figures

Dr Bones

A while ago I put my TOD head on KOTCS body and have it standing right next to my monitor and it looks exactly the same. Hat and all.

I think not only the head is TOD the hat is too. I think the lighting may give the illusion it's different but I am not sure it is.

Bearing in mind each pull from a mould is still unique and I have several of the same Indy figure but they have subtle differences if you look closely.

I am looking closely at the loose hats from KOTCS Ind., I have two and one is slighlty larger and the brim shape and dip is different too, yet supposedly the same hat from the same mould!

I rifled through the packs on the shelf to find the best and rejected many before my purchase, mostly due to sloppy paint jobs, but the differences are there. I ditched one because Indy look more like Chuck Norris!

That said, as I am holding up the TOD head to the screen apart from the light it looks identical to my TOD head/hat.

Last edited:

inky_skin

Lance Quazar said:
The faces may (or may not) be the same, but the hat is different.

Have to go with Lance on this one. If you look at Shayford's pics in the "Lost Wave" thread, there a couple that give you a good look at both the top of the crown and the profile. Whereas in the original sculpts the crown doesn't feature the distinctive Raiders "crease" down the centre, Shayford's "plane fight" shot shows that the new one does. Also, his "Well of Souls" image has a profile view of the hat showing that the front of the crown is far higher (the angle from front to back is more extreme) than in previous iterations. So, reckon it's a ToD Indy head with a revised fedora. Mind you, give it a couple of weeks and this speculation is moot...and I've been know to be wrong...from time to time...;)

Dr Bones

inky_skin said:
Have to go with Lance on this one. If you look at Shayford's pics in the "Lost Wave" thread, there a couple that give you a good look at both the top of the crown and the profile. Whereas in the original sculpts the crown doesn't feature the distinctive Raiders "crease" down the centre, Shayford's "plane fight" shot shows that the new one does. Also, his "Well of Souls" image has a profile view of the hat showing that the front of the crown is far higher (the angle from front to back is more extreme) than in previous iterations. So, reckon it's a ToD Indy head with a revised fedora. Mind you, give it a couple of weeks and this speculation is moot...and I've been know to be wrong...from time to time...;)

Again I compared and if it's not the TOD hat then I may need to see an optician! ;)

Lance Quazar

Dr Bones said:
Again I compared and if it's not the TOD hat then I may need to see an optician! ;)

I don't want to sell my good friend inky down the river, but after holding my ToD Indy right up to the computer screen, adjusting the angle and perspective juuust right....

I agree with you guys. It does look like the ToD head and hat.

But I'm nobody's expert and I am eager to find out in 3 weeks!

inky_skin

Ok - here's one for you conspiracy theorists out there...

- Hasbro promises "ultimate" Harrison Ford headsculpt with removable hat
- "Ultimate" Indy head is the only sculpt in the Lost Wave that hasn't be floating around for several years
- Only "production" example turns out to have a ToD headswap - but the figure is in the hands of Lucasfilm's contracted customiser
- No "official" packaged images have been seen.

My reasoning - there is a BRAND NEW, UNSEEN sculpt - pending licensor/actor approval, to be unveiled at SDCC...:p

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
My reasoning - there is a BRAND NEW, UNSEEN sculpt - pending licensor/actor approval, to be unveiled at SDCC...:p

I've had those same secret hopes deep down, but have been too afraid to voice them...

From your lips, sir....

Billy Ray

At this point I think it is a lot to hope for, SDCC is only 3 weeks away. i'm sure these sets are already produced, boxed, and ready to go. Unless what Shayford got was a set of prototypes, we're probably looking at the final product.

Billy Ray

Can't say I am too thrilled by the look of this "Deleted scene" Sandstorm Leia, but one thing quickly caught my eye...finally, the perfect goggles for Vogel!

SDCC11%20HASBRO-VINTAGE-2-23.jpg

Lance Quazar

Speaking of Vogel, I made this quickie custom last month, didn't get around to posting it until now.

Black Suit Vogel, made from the body of the Invaders Marvel Universe Comic Con Red Skull which was, of course, just a repainted Vogel body with a new head.

I had to paint the details silver, since Red Skull's uniform do-dads were inexplicably painted gold (perhaps to make them less like "real" Nazis?) Red Skull's arm band was painted green with a HYDRA logo. See pic.

Vogel.jpg

baddies1.jpg

Palaceslave_82

I apologize for the long-winded nature of this letter..basically,I am looking for a talented customizer to help me create a fully pose-able Willie Scott figure from the Temple of Doom in her 'sacrifice' outfit, to go with my Indy and Short Round figs.The figure would not have the veil,jewels,or sari,but rather be an 'escape Willie' of sorts,(which I've heard mentioned on here before,but never seen completed) looking more dressed-down as she did when they escaped the Thuggees in a mine car in halter-top,legging-pants,and sandals.

Hasbro's Willie was a beautiful (if static-try saltshaker lol) figure,and featured a great Kate Capshaw likeness,which I imagine I would use as the head..and as for the body,I was thinking the old Buck Rogers Ardella (Ardala) figure would be great to modify,as the clothing/bracelet detail is similar. Aside from the un-detailed feet on the Ardella figure,and gold accents, ( the latter which I imagine would be repainted silver),the figure is very close to Willie's movie appearance,save some costume details. Ideally,the legs of the Buck Rogers fig would be pared down from the harem pants design to the more movie-accurate leggings underneath the sari. The feet could even come from Hasbro's Willie,with the sculpted sandal-feet,if the scale matched.As most of you know,Hasbro's Willie has sculpted legs underneath the dress,but they didn't match the waist,and featured minimum articulation.

I'm OK with alternate ideas to make it more accurate,but this is the best match of existing molds I've found so far. I would love to use Hasbro's entire torso with the shaved-down legs of Ardala,but don't want to lose waist articulation.

Please let me know if we can work something out.I've done minimal customization,and frankly have no interest in it.. but I would pay for a quality custom that has as much articulation as possible.

Lance Quazar

Even though no one liked my Vogel, I'm at it again with a new custom!

Hey, here's my take on the criminally-overlooked Marcus Brody!

Marcus1.jpg

recipe:

Head: SW Legacy Jeremoch Colton
Arms & Jacket: SDCC Exclusive GI Joe James McCullen
Toros: "Last Crusade" Indiana Jones w/ Tie
Legs & Pelvis: SDCC Exclusive Black Suit Cobra Commander

Dokta_Joenz

I never understood Hasbro's reasoning for not including a Fedora with the KOTCS Rocket Launcher Indy, I don't even remember any scenes in the film where he was without his hat for a significant amount of time and plus he wasn't even dressed like that when he used the Rocket Launcher he was wearing his jacket and fedora in that scene.

It just didn't make sense to me to make a regular clothes Indy figure without including the most recognizable piece of his wardrobe, removable or not and I think that contributed to this figure being a major pegwarmer on store shelves. at least we got a non jacketed crystal skull Indy though.

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm pleased with the results - such a rare feeling for my custom work. :)

Billy Ray said:
wouldn't have thought to use that head, but it works great!

I was only barely even aware of that figure's existence until very recently. Never saw it in stores. It came out as part of the Legacy line, which was the year my Star Wars collecting habits slowed to an imperceptible crawl. (Largely due to my shift of interest to the Indy line.)

In fact, I recently discovered a box in my garage containing an entire wave of Legacy figures that I completely forgot I purchased and never even opened.

But I came across a picture of the Colton figure recently (might have been cruising the rebelscum archives for custom research) and it was a revelation. I was surprised no one had bothered to use it for a Marcus custom.

Many Marcus figures I've seen used the POTF2 Old Anakin head, which is a nice choice. I even bought one of those in 2008 in anticipation of making a custom. But the Colton head is a perfect fit on the Indy torso, so no dremeling or other modifications required!