Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Stoo

inky_skin said:
This phase of the Travelling Indy Project is at an end. The figure that we passed between us is unlikely to be recovered and for all intents and purposes must be considered lost. We've (Pale Horse, Stoo and I) exhausted all reasonable avenues of investigation to retrieve Indy without success. While The Drifter signed-on with the best of intentions, he has apparently encountered personal issues which mean that his participation in our trivial game is far down his list of priorities. Let's leave the explanation at that.
Just got back from my 3rd trip to Barcelona. Too bad I didn't have Mini-Indy with me!:(

With all due respect, Sir Inky, this phase of your project is NOT over! I've been communicating with The Drifter and have been trying to get him to return the figure (as diplomatically as possible). Everyone has problems but, from what I know, his issues can no longer be considered as an excuse. The Drifter is just being a lazy dickhead now. The last time he posted was 16 September 2014. Enough is enough. How long do we have to wait before this guy gets himself together?:confused:

Mini-Indy is not "lost" because we know where he is & who has him. I refuse to let it go. The aim of your project was to get this *1* object around the globe...so a substitute figure would defeat that purpose, yes?:confused:
Pale Horse said:
"...pick up the phone, I'm always home, call me any time; just ring 362-4360, I lead a life of crime...."
♫ Dirty deeds! Done dirt cheap! Dirty deeds & they're done dirt cheap. ♪♫

Time to turn up the HEAT...
From a fireplace in Montreal:

Indy_WANTED_Drifter_zpsr47msvcd.gif

Passionately,
Stoo

Stoo

He moved to Alabama but hasn't told me which city/town yet (and I've asked him). Is anyone else here from The Yellowhammer State?:confused:

inky_skin

Stoo - I figured for the sake of others wishing to participate I'd have to call it at some point. My decision was based on your intel that Indy would be in the post on Nov 9. Packages usually reach me within 10-14 days from the US. I had understood (certainly from my own indirect recent dealings with The Drifter) that his involvement / participation was flaky at best, and he'd likely go to ground completely after fobbing us off - we'd have no second chance. Indy didn't materialise within that timeframe and I lost hope of regaining him. It's frustrating to be so geographically remote. I'd certainly make the journey to retrieve him if I could.

Maybe I was too hasty though - the continued enthusiasm here for some black-ops style extraction shenanigans suggests that to be the case...

Pale Horse

Staff member
inky_skin said:
Maybe I was too hasty though - the continued enthusiasm here for some black-ops style extraction shenanigans suggests that to be the case...

Black ops, maybe not. Obtainer of Rare Antiquities? Maybe.

Cosplay's all the rage. Which Ravener wants to be Thot and which one wants to be Belloq?

Stoo

Bad News!

inky_skin said:
Stoo - I figured for the sake of others wishing to participate I'd have to call it at some point. My decision was based on your intel that Indy would be in the post on Nov 9. Packages usually reach me within 10-14 days from the US. I had understood (certainly from my own indirect recent dealings with The Drifter) that his involvement / participation was flaky at best, and he'd likely go to ground completely after fobbing us off - we'd have no second chance. Indy didn't materialise within that timeframe and I lost hope of regaining him. It's frustrating to be so geographically remote. I'd certainly make the journey to retrieve him if I could.

Bad news: Yesterday, I discovered that The Drifter has now blocked me on Facebook so I can't send him messages nor even see his profile page. I was polite to him & understanding (he even thanked me for my "kind words") and prodded him only 4 times after his promise to send Indy, exactly 1 month ago, on Nov 9th. It's not like I was being a nuisance. Heck, I even offered to send him $100 ca$h! :mad::mad::mad:

Inky, can you still contact him via your intermediaries?:confused: To be honest, I was wary of "allowing" the figure to be put into Drifter's hands during your absence so I feel responsible for this fiasco.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Horse

Staff member
I have faith in the goodness of people. Bad things happen all the time and even the best of us make choices that aren't always the clearest or sound when that happens.

Sometimes all it takes is the right perspective to clarify what to do next.

While I agree that Drifter hasn't previously demonstrated the wisest of choices, I still think he'll step up and do what's right. Even if it's to say "Sorry, I blew it, and can't make the current situation right."

All'd be forgiven, I suspect, if that were to happen. Even Raveners know when to put the pitchforks down. It's what makes this community one of the best ones around.

Or as Hans Gruber the ever prepared, always one step ahead, mastermind, genius kidnapper and misguided terrorist would say:

rs_400x265-141126145136-Hans-Smiles-hans-gruber-26425003-400-282.gif

Hans said:
It's Christmas, Theo. It's the time of miracles, so be of good cheer...

Stoo

Last edited by Attila the Professor : Today at 12:15 PM. Reason: Removed Drifter's real name; I see no reason to violate his pseudonymity publicly, despite the circumstances. PM Stoo for it if you can be of use in this.
I see no reason to suppress it, considering that The Drifter, himself, provided his own name here at The Raven.

First name (+ birthdate)
Last name
(The term for a "barrel maker" is a "cooper".)

That's how I knew his real identity. 'Tis readily available right here?in black & beige.;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
I see no reason to suppress it, considering that The Drifter, himself, provided his own name here at The Raven.

First name (+ birthdate)
Last name
(The term for a "barrel maker" is a "cooper".)

That's how I knew his real identity. 'Tis readily available right here?in black & beige.;)

There's something to that, but putting it together here is still aggregating, after a fashion. Though, of course, The Drifter's inexplicably managing to forget your uncanny memory for our archives does put this in his hands. :hat:

The point's well-taken, but the edit will stand.

Indymag

This is quite a sorry story from what is an amazing fan effort . Indymag is quite happy to highlight this issue and support a campaign via social media for his return.

inky_skin

No blame apportioned to any parties, no compensation sought.

All I want is a simple yes or no from The Drifter. Are we getting Indy back and if so, when. Or is he gone for good.

Then at least I feel we can move on "cleanly".

I'll push my middle-man again, but I think we require a strategy for the probable "no response" eventuality which doesn't involve a personal visit...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Step One:

Can a picture of the accumulated "ephemera" be uploaded here for all to see? Gives a new journey some history to draw from.

Henry W Jones

FYI. Drifter is not a bad guy. He is going through some pretty serious life stuff. I'm not saying he shouldn't have sent it back but, if you were going through what he is right now you might understand why this hasn't been his priority. I sent him a text message. I will keep you all posted as to what I find out.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I don't mean to be cynical or unsympathetic to trails and tribulations in life, but I've know that a first hand report would go a long way for The Drifter, for both sides involved. We'd have closure, and he'd realize that this community is actually supportive of it's members.

Most everyone here would enthusiastically forgive and offer to help out in whatever way they can, if he would simply accept it.

But when he knows that people are trying to work with him, and he actively ignores the situation, it doesn't help his image or reputation. People lose patience in that sort of scenario.

Henry W Jones

Like I said, I am not defending his actions but I do know his situation right now and it's pretty bad. I went through something similar and that's why I was on hiatus from this site for a while. I will do my best to contact him and see if I can resolve the situation. Keep your fingers crossed.

InexorableTash

Let us know if there is a way we can/should help him.

I've seen this happen in countless forums with different causes. From addictions to loss of a family member to loss of a job and home to serious illness. Someone vanishes with unfulfilled commitments and the community is angered. For the former member, a web site is far down on the list of priorities, and an unwelcome distraction from trying to keep life together and deal with unthinkable hardship.