The Rocketeer

Le Saboteur

The Rocketeer Flies Again!

RaiderMitch said:
Here it is twenty years later and we still talk about it, and I wish Dave Stevens was still around adding to his creation.

Yes, yes we do. And sometimes all that talk leads to action.

Last year IDW Publishing released Stevens' creation in several collections and introduced a new generation of fans to Cliff Secord & Co. Thanks (presumably) to those sales, they've continued with a brand spankin' new mini-series featuring work from some of today's brightest talents -- Alex Ross, Mike Allred, Kurt Busiek, and Mike Mignola to name just a few!

The first three issues are already on stands now. Then in August of this year, turbulence and adventure become synonymous!

IDW Publishing said:
IDW is pleased to announce that this summer, Dave Stevens’ legendary, high-flying avenger of the skies will soar once again! This August, renowned writer Mark Waid teams up with the inimitable Chris Samnee to bring The Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom! to comic shop shelves everywhere.

Rocketeer_Mini_Final1.jpg

Le Saboteur

Don't Call it a Funkin' Reboot!

Le Sabotuer said:
And sometimes all that talk leads to action.

All that talk sometimes leads to more talk, albeit interesting talk...

The Internet said:
...The Rocketeer Relaunched?

Dark corners of the interwebs were abuzz with rumors that newly installed Disney Studio honcho, Alan Horn, is planning to meet with scribblers (well, not personally!) to discuss what directions a remake could take; i.e., live-action, animated feature, story, etc. They'll probably discuss whether or not the project actually has legs; twenty years between pictures... well, need we say more?

The project's obviously in its fledgling state, but the possibility of Cliff Secord taking to the skies again is exciting. There's a wealth of direct and indirect material (Yes, Crimson Skies, that means you) to draw from. Disney could feasibly go in-house and draw from Talespin.

Yes, it features anthropomorphic characters, but in theme, attitude, and look it shares a lot with the classic pulp adventures! Don Karnage's air pirates even get around in planes very similar to the GeeBee Z!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uSop_pd1IyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perhaps not coincidentally, the news comes on the heels of the release of Cargo of Doom, the latest 4 issue miniseries that hits comic book shoppes everywhere today!

Comic Book Resource has a nifty preview available for viewing as well. Check it out here.

http://comicrelated.com/autogallery/idwpreviews/082212/TheRocketeer_CargoofDoom_01-CvrRI.jpg

Had a chance to see this? It's pretty good.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a_7O6mJ6jBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also: Want to fiddle around with building your own jetpack? Well, check this out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Saboteur

If we increase the manifold pressure...

...and adjust the air to fuel ratio, then maybe we can get a sequel. Or, in this case, another mini-series from IDW Publishing! This time around Roger Langridge and J. Bone team up to bring us... The Rocketeer: Hollywood Horror!

The mini-series went on sale last month, and the second issue hit shelves about a week back. Early word has it that it mixes up the classic pulp adventures that fans have come to know and love, with a touch of Lovecraftian horror(!?). Now, I know that Cliff Secord has almost nothing in the way of established lore, but this seems like a bridge too far. Fingers crossed.

The+Rocketeer+-+Hollywood+Horror+%231+by+James+White.jpg

Also: In a rare bit of crossover news, it looks like IDW will be publishing a Rocketeer/The Spirit team-up due out in July. Not much is known yet, but it looks like The Spirit will be heading out to the Left Coast to investigate the murder of a wealthy industrialist.

Le Saboteur

While looking for something else, I stumbled across this little ditty over @ YouTube. Seems like some kind soul has uploaded Disney's short behind the scenes documentary "The Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air." I don't think I've ever seen this, and Disney doesn't feel a particular need to include it on any of the home video releases.

There's a couple nice bits with Dave Stevens, too.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C0wLRxCS_zI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7IrXhxS34L0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Spruce Goose was once displayed outside?! I remember seeing it inside a giant hanger.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/piMxIIImqqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's also a couple of nifty blog reports and a hefty photo gallery available on-line for anybody who's interested.

And just because...

Ridd1e_Rockateer_Cosplay_Print.jpg

Montana Smith

Montana Smith said:
If a DVD of The Rocketeer appears in front of me and the seller's asking for a quid, then I'll revisit it. Apart from that I have no inclination to go out of my way to see it again.

This happened three weeks ago, but I've only now gotten around to watching it again.

Rocketeer hasn't improved after two decades. It's still dull and un-engaging, without a single character to care about. An effort so feeble it's not even on par with Zombies of the Stratosphere!

zombies-of-the-stratosphere-movie-poster-1952-1020143834.jpg

While it was no Raiders of the Lost Ark I did discover two things:

1) Locke from Lost is in it.

2) Jordan Collier from The 4400 is in it.

Montana Smith

Writing of colour, the coolest part of Rocketeer was actually the black and white propaganda cartoon.

Image+1.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4sV_j_BpWHg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

A few days ago I was sorting through some old magazine and comics, and discovered this among them:

Can't remember where it came from. Certainly wouldn't have bought it new, so it must have come in with a box of comics.

Again, the artwork is better than the film!

Sea Monarch

Montana Smith said:
A few days ago I was sorting through some old magazine and comics, and discovered this among them:

Can't remember where it came from. Certainly wouldn't have bought it new, so it must have come in with a box of comics.

Oh. My. Goshh..... Thanks for posting that Smitty!:hat: I forgot all about that even existing, but I'm 98% sure I owned that. If memory serves me correct, I may have even bought two copies. I think they may (hopefully), be lurking somewhere in my parent's house, in storage.(y)

Man that brings back memories. Oh yeah, I have a lot of love for the Rocketeer. I agree, the artwork is great! I went out of my way, when it was in theaters, to acquire the poster, vinyl banner, and cardboard hanging mobil, from the theater when they were almost done with them!(y) Too bad, you didn't appreciate the movie much from the sound of it.

Curious why you didn't like it, Montana. Perhaps I will look to see if you commented previously on that matter. If you haven't yet, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Sea Monarch

Montana Smith said:

Oh. My. Goshh..... Thanks for posting that Smitty!:hat: I forgot all about that even existing, but I'm 98% sure I owned that. If memory serves me correct, I may have even bought two copies. I think they may (hopefully), be lurking somewhere in my parent's house, in storage.(y)
oops...hit submit twice. Moderators please, feel free to leave the first one and remove this one.
Man that brings back memories. Oh yeah, I have a lot of love for the Rocketeer. I agree, the artwork is great! I went out of my way, when it was in theaters, to acquire the poster, vinyl banner, and cardboard hanging mobil, from the theater when they were almost done with them!(y) Too bad, you didn't appreciate the movie much from the sound of it.

Curious why you didn't like it, Montana. Perhaps I will look to see if you commented previously on that matter. If you haven't yet, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Montana Smith

Sea Monarch said:
Too bad, you didn't appreciate the movie much from the sound of it.

This just about covers it:

Smiffy said:
I saw this in the cinema when it first came out - it was a second choice movie since our first choice had sold all available seats.

I hated it at the time. I remember being bored senseless and waiting for it to end.

I haven't seen it in years, but would probably enjoy it if I saw it now.

Smiffy said:
I didn't "get it" at the time. My mates were saying, "But it's based on a graphic novel..." Though it just felt really silly back then, and being a second choice movie I was compelled to sit though it.

Since then I've been into pulp beyond Indy, so, as I said it deserves another appraisal.

Smiffy said:
Whether the subject is fantastical or not, if it's featherweight it holds little interest. There has to be something in a movie beyond a visual spectacle, meaning characterization to lend an air of purpose. That would be where the Indy movies stand out.

Smiffy said:
There are some movies that have a cool premise and cool visuals, but you just want to shake some life into them. That was my initial Rocketeer experience. I just wanted the movie to be over quickly

Smiffy said:
The Rocketeer, like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, just failed to engage.

Smiffy said:
The Rocketeer didn't inspire me. I didn't feel anything for the characters, and therefore nothing for their predicament. That's the basis of how I judge movies. Action without character is dull.

Smiffy said:
What I recall of The Rocketeer was a series of visuals enacted by un-interesting characters. In the cinema all I wanted was for the movie to be over quickly.

Smiffy said:
If a DVD of The Rocketeer appears in front of me and the seller's asking for a quid, then I'll revisit it. Apart from that I have no inclination to go out of my way to see it again.

Smiffy said:
This happened three weeks ago, but I've only now gotten around to watching it again.

Rocketeer hasn't improved after two decades. It's still dull and un-engaging, without a single character to care about. An effort so feeble it's not even on par with Zombies of the Stratosphere!

And ending on a high point:

...the coolest part of Rocketeer was actually the black and white propaganda cartoon.

:hat:

Sea Monarch

Wow, thanks for taking the time to paste and print for me. I may still go back, and read them in full, as I probably have before, once upon a time. I will perhaps engage you in conversation about any areas, where I agree, or digress in opinion on The Rocketeer. Nonetheless, good to hear your take:)

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
Also: In a rare bit of crossover news, it looks like IDW will be publishing a Rocketeer/The Spirit team-up due out in July. Not much is known yet, but it looks like The Spirit will be heading out to the Left Coast to investigate the murder of a wealthy industrialist.

Yes, yes they did. Cross-company team-ups are so rare (following the Marvel/DC debacle) that it's surprising that a major publisher (DC) is allowing IDW to fiddle about with one of their characters. It's not Batman, but it's still impressive.

Anyway.

Mark Waid (writer of Cargo of Doom!) is back handling the writing duties on this latest Rocketeer book. The legendary Paul Smith (X-Men, Dr. Strange, etc.) takes over the penciling duties.

The Rundown: Alderman Cunningham is found dead following a highly publicized protest against the privatization of radio and television broadcasts in Central City. Normally fairly routine for The Spirit, but the body was found 3,000 miles away in Hollywood a mere eight hours after the protest!

Given the state of air travel in 1941 this presents an impossible mystery. So The Spirit heads west with Commissioner Dolan and his star-obsessed daughter where they run afoul of Cliff Secord and Bettie.

rocketeer-and-the-spirit-pulp-friction-1-crazy.jpg

The first three(?) issues out of four are on newsstands now. As well as on-line!

maskoff.jpg

Le Saboteur

Edward Eyth was hired as a production designer on The Rocketeer and ended up spending the majority of his time designing the jetpack that would transform Cliff Secord into The Rocketeer! Of the changes made from the original comic, this was probably my favorite. I never cared for the original look that Dave Stevens came up with.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs43/PRE/i/2009/107/b/d/Rocket_Pack_Flame_Concept_by_Eyth.jpg

You can check out Mr. Eyth's Deviant Art gallery here; otherwise, the folks over at Comic Book Movie have collected nearly all of his sketches on a single page. Check 'em out here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tohtally Indy

I just noticed this thread...yeah, I'm slow. Thought I would chime in...

I am a big fan of The Rocketeer. He is a great character, and a wonderful throwback to the serials of old. Dave Stevens arrived at a wonderful character, and great initial run of stories.
I picked up the large slip-case version of the reprints that IDW put out a couple of years ago. It's beautiful! I recommend checking it out if you haven't.
Also quite fun are the mini-series book runs that IDW have been publishing..."the further adventures," if you will.
To me the movie is lots of fun. I loved it, and still do. Bought it on Blu-ray!
Joe Johnston tried to capture the spirit of the past with the film and succeeded to a degree. No, it's not a perfect movie, but it is fun, to me, and beautiful to watch. I thought it was cast very well, and always look forward to seeing Rick Baker's wonderful recreation of Rondo Hatton for the movie!
The movie works for me. I hope that Disney will look into doing further work with this character!

I took my family to Disney World this past summer and was looking forward to pointing out The Bulldog Cafe, and the Gee Bee, on the back lot tour at Hollywood Studios, but unfortunately they are not on the tour anymore. Sad.
I do have a picture of both of them on the tour from years ago, so at least I have that. At least the jet-pack is still there to be seen in the warehouse, and The Rocketeer still has his impression on the ground at The Chinese Theater.

Anyway...long live The Rockteer! I hope there will be adventures to come!

00Kevin

Indyfan
I love the spirit of the rocketeer, it's a film I have revisited every 5 years or so. In particular I never forget the villians; Timothy Dalton is excellent and the giant Henchman (played by a guy called Tiny Ron) is cartoonishly frightening and memorable

TheFedora

I watched this film in my film class last night. (My film teacher is Danny Bilson who wrote the script) Anyway, I got a very raiders feel from it, especially the evil german guy at the end who seemed on loan from Raiders. Looked it up later, and apparently they wanted to make a trilogy about it but it failed due to not making enough? Also checked again on that reboot and apparently no traction so far? I don't know...

But now that Disney owns it do you think its possible they might try to fold it into Marvel in some way? I mean the record for third party superheroes has not been so great... (Green Hornet, lone ranger, the spirit) in theaters so Marvel might be better for this sort of thing.

Goonie

Ticks me off that Disney is sitting on the Rocketeer and Dick Tracy and not doing anything with them. Love movies that are set in that time period, just like the first Captain America.