Action Figures compatible with Hasbro's Indiana Jones?

NickTurner

Exulted Unicron said:
I think I'll be needing to get multiples of face, hannibal and murdock

You're not kidding! Those guys fit right in. Murdock could almost be Jock 'as is'. Hannibal could be an Indy rival (needs a hat!) or a thug with that - sawn off shotgun it looks like. Could have stepped right out of an Indy video game for sure. Nice!

Exulted Unicron

Nice idea, I can really see that working. I think i can use that Hannibal web gear to finally make a Rick O'Connell figure to put in my Indy-Verse. The face figure has lots of opportunities.

I just hope they make dress uniform military guys, such as dress uniform A-Team.

Jack Panix

Jack Panix said:
I saw the 4" & 6" figures yesterday at the local TRU. No sign of the playsets or deluxe 4" figs or roleplay stuff. Anyone in the US find this line at another retailer besides TRU?
I saw the PoP toy line at Target yesterday. Hopefully it will be carried by Walmart too.

Also got to see the Gate playset and Dastan with Horse up close. McFarlane's horse isn't as nice as the Hasbro Indy one, but it looked like the saddle blanket and reins are all removable. I may wait to get these on sale or more likely on clearance later this year.

I discovered that Target is home to a couple figure exclusives in both the 4" and 6" lines. There's a Dastan with translucent organge right arm and dagger in each scale.

Montana Smith

NickTurner said:
You're not kidding! Those guys fit right in. Murdock could almost be Jock 'as is'. Hannibal could be an Indy rival (needs a hat!) or a thug with that - sawn off shotgun it looks like. Could have stepped right out of an Indy video game for sure. Nice!

These three definitely have potential. Hannibal's gun looks like his classic silver and wood M-14 with folding stock.

Hannibal.jpg

Face.jpg

Murdock.jpg

Exulted Unicron

Face, Murdock and BA all seem to have M-4 Carbines, while Hannibal seems to be using the classic Ruger Mini-14 assault rifle.

I was in Burton yesterday ad I went into a toystore called MidcoToys. Looking around, I found some World Peacekeepers toys and I thought some of them would work well with Indy, like the Horse set, the dinghy/canoe and some others like the battlefield playset, the canvas and open topped hummers. They looked more like old American WW2 trucks than they did hummers.

bonoferox

Saw teh A-Team figures at Target over the weekend. They could easily fit with the IJ line and the paint apps were equally as bad as the first Raiders wave. Had to pass on them.

Lance Quazar

Sadly, I brought home the A-Team Faceman figure and it's really too tall to work well with the Indy line.

I know there was disagreement about the Persia figures, but trust me on this one.

Errex

Got another Avatar figure, but not James Cameron's. From the M.Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender, I got Aang in his Avatar Trance:

Aang here can serve as a generic asian farmer/guide/monk with the Indiana Jones figures, although in general, sculpted detail is rather soft and the paint applications are kept to a minimum. A couple more figures in this line could also serve as custom fodder.(y)

Lance Quazar

Errex said:
Aang here can serve as a generic asian farmer/guide/monk with the Indiana Jones figures, although in general, sculpted detail is rather soft and the paint applications are kept to a minimum. A couple more figures in this line could also serve as custom fodder.(y)

I think you mean "white generic farmer/guide/monk" since most of the characters in the Asian world of the movie are inexplicably played by white actors.

Errex

Lance Quazar said:
I think you mean "white generic farmer/guide/monk" since most of the characters in the Asian world of the movie are inexplicably played by white actors.

At this scale (and regarding the sculpting skills displayed by Spin Master), Aang might as well be mayan for all I know. ;)

Lance Quazar

Managed to take a couple pictures of some good "compatible" items.

First up, from the (very limited) Prince of Persia line is the horse, Ashk.

Surprisingly, the horse is perfectly scaled with the Indy line and, as you can tell from the pics, is virtually the same proportions as Indy's horse.

It is a very well-sculpted figure, but I think the tack and bridle - particularly the saddle and saddle blanket, are pretty fancy looking to fit in well on Indy's adventures.

Unfortunately, they are NOT removable. They are glued into place. In fact, underneath the saddle is a large hole in the body of the horse with a corresponding tab on the saddle that is snugly glued in place.

Now, what you could do - and I may do if I ever get the time - is you could physically cut the saddle blanket off and around the saddle (the tab/hole is under the saddle) if you wanted to get rid of all the extra finery.

The bridle should be a lot easier to remove without damaging the horse, if you were so inclined.

The horse lacks knee articulation, which severely limits the kinds of action poses you can put him in.

The sculpt also hurts in this area, since the tail is sculpted to hang limply and, unlike Indy's frizzy-maned action horse, the horse's mane hangs limply all to one side. The sculpting looks great, but the horse very much looks like he's doing no more than a lazy trot.

Horse1.jpg

Horse2.jpg

Next up is the jewel in the (extremely tiny) Prince of Persia collection, the Alamut gate.

Makes a really spiffy piece of scenery for Indy figures. I have taken the liberty of removing some of the silly "action features" from the top of the gate which I had no intention of using and which, in my opinion, harmed the aesthetics. There still is a hidden play feature (fold out steps), which I also plan to never use.

In fact, I even went so far as to remove the base piece, as you can see in the second picture. The base consists of a strip of cobbled ground and rocks on either side of the gate. Didn't like the look, so I chucked 'em.

The portcullis raises and lowers with the crank, though mine doesn't seem to want to stay up anymore - collateral damage from my customizing, I guess.

I really think this is a cool looking piece. I think if you were enterprising and bought some of those schleich castle wall pieces and maybe painted them all to match each other, you could make an awesome Middle Eastern medina or palace courtyard or something for all kinds of exciting adventures.

Gate1.jpg

Gate2.jpg

And speaking of Schleich, last up is the Schleich Safari truck. Bought this a while ago. I think the vehicle looks generic enough that it could pass as being a period vehicle.

As the Schleich figures are not quite 1:18 in scale, it was a bit of a squeeze getting Indy to fit inside the cab, but I managed it. Sitting in the passenger side is easier.

For some reason, the truck is a right side drive (what kind of silly country would do that?), but I think it is a spiffy looking vehicle that would look at home in any kind of Middle Eastern or especially African adventures.

I do hope to paint this truck at some point, as I'm not crazy about the design. If any customizers have any suggestions for what color they think it should be, I'd love to hear suggestions, tips, etc.

truck1.jpg

Truck2.jpg

Anyway, over the past couple years I have been scouring various toylines to try to come up with compatible toys to work with the tragically small Indy line and hope to post more stuff in the future.

But, though I think all of these items could benefit from customizing to bring out their full potential, I think they are all good additions to any Indy collection.

Montana Smith

Great pictures, Lance. Thanks for posting them.

The gate looks particularly good, with a nice texture, and the little studs should be easy to cut off. I'll try to pick this one up when I can.

The Schleich truck also work well.

Errex

Well, I cracked open the Last Airbender figure I got, and was quite unimpressed by it:(n)

The sculpted clothes are extremely undetailed and articulation, while serviceable, isn't quite compatible for IJ custom work. The head does show some promise, though, properly repainted.